• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Meeting Nicola"

Frank isn't a "Pervy random" LOL, a bit forward in his advances maybe but no perv :hahazebs: I can't remember there being anti-pagan resentment in the 80s; was this something that was prevalent down south at this time?
There was a lot of paranoia about Satanists and witchcraft, that I remember.

Frank isn't a "Pervy random" LOL, a bit forward in his advances maybe but no perv :hahazebs: I can't remember there being anti-pagan resentment in the 80s; was this something that was prevalent down south at this time?
Seems like you know Frank better than he knows himself.

I still don't get why people find it hard to believe that a man in a park/outdoor setting would talk to good looking girl with a dog as the internet is full of real life tales of relationships starting in this very way, for example:

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/news/real-life/secret-confessions-of-a-dog-walker-30423

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/06/25/dog-walking-meet-people-relationships_n_7661090.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-402547/Could-dog-man.html

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/18/owning-a-dog-will-help-you-find-love-8047662/

In particular this one:

I Walked 4 Different Dogs To See How Many Dates They Got Me​

"As a single girl living in a big city, I mainly find dates on apps. It's easy, it's fast, and I can do most of the legwork while siting on my couch in my pyjamas. But that isn't to say I don't enjoy meeting people IRL. I live for a meet-cute, and am always searching for ways to strike up conversations with attractive men I see in public. I once tried to pick up a guy at Whole Foods by helping him test whether or not a melon was ripe. (It didn't work.)

But a few weeks ago, while walking past a dog park with my cousin and her sons, I offhandedly mentioned that dogs are the ultimate icebreakers. "It's like throwing chum into the ocean," I told her. "If you've got a dog on a leash, I swear, people just swarm you. It's got to be the best way to pick up guys."

https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/2017/11/197749/dog-walking-dating-challenge

I still don't get why people find it hard to believe that a man in a park/outdoor setting would talk to good looking girl with a dog as the internet is full of real life tales of relationships starting in this very way, for example:

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/news/real-life/secret-confessions-of-a-dog-walker-30423

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/06/25/dog-walking-meet-people-relationships_n_7661090.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-402547/Could-dog-man.html

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/18/owning-a-dog-will-help-you-find-love-8047662/

In particular this one:

I Walked 4 Different Dogs To See How Many Dates They Got Me​

"As a single girl living in a big city, I mainly find dates on apps. It's easy, it's fast, and I can do most of the legwork while siting on my couch in my pyjamas. But that isn't to say I don't enjoy meeting people IRL. I live for a meet-cute, and am always searching for ways to strike up conversations with attractive men I see in public. I once tried to pick up a guy at Whole Foods by helping him test whether or not a melon was ripe. (It didn't work.)

But a few weeks ago, while walking past a dog park with my cousin and her sons, I offhandedly mentioned that dogs are the ultimate icebreakers. "It's like throwing chum into the ocean," I told her. "If you've got a dog on a leash, I swear, people just swarm you. It's got to be the best way to pick up guys."

https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/2017/11/197749/dog-walking-dating-challenge
I wonder if this would work if I walked the Armadillo Lizard? :p The way society is going it will soon be illegal or suspect to talk to anyone on the street.

I am not sure the anti-witch thing was just down South as I was up North at the time and I have dim memories of a shop which got burned down somewhere like Scarborough (does anyone else remember anything?). Some people still had very old fashioned views about witches.

I am not sure the anti-witch thing was just down South as I was up North at the time and I have dim memories of a shop which got burned down somewhere like Scarborough (does anyone else remember anything?). Some people still had very old fashioned views about witches.
I remember an incident at my school (around 1983) where a kid went into a fit because someone kept drawing pentagrams on his folder. I guess after the Exorcist and the Omen movies in the 70s primed the 80s for a fear of the occult.

It's also around that time that I first recall hearing the term 'New Age traveller' and seem to recall some animosity towards them for supposed damage to ancient sites and the protests against new roads and so on.

I remember people confusing Wiccans with Satan worshippers, but this was in the '90s. I remember the Death metal scene starting in the 80s' this was followed by theatrical satanist desecrations in graveyards.

Probably the Sorceror's Apprentice in Leeds. That bloke Roger? who investigated odd stuff did a documentary on it.

I'm stating that he isnt no perv, I get it, you don't believe what I say ( that's your right and I respect that) but quit with the veiled hints.
I like this story and I thank you for bringing it to us. I know first hand how irritating "the treatment" can be here and other places. I've been guilty of dishing it out myself. Some people, though, want to read weird stories for the entertainment value, but don't want to have to deal with the possibility that they might have actually happened. That's what creepy pasta is for. Most members here have more to them than that, of course, and just want to make sure they are not being tricked into believing some yarn. I understand that insecurity, and try to avoid manifesting it myself.

I have no problem believing Frank experienced what he said he did. I don't need a tidy, "rational explanation" and so I usually manage to avoid crossing the line from skepticism to rationalization. At least I try to. The latter looks foolish to people who experienced the events and know they were not mistaken. Another thing people lose sight of far too often is the simple reality that a story like this can't be proven in any definitive way, let alone on an online forum decades after the events. Seeking such proof is a fool's errand. I know for sure that Weird Shit happens because a surprising amount of it has happened to me. Fortunately, I have a very sensible world view that allows me to avoid the false assumption that the distribution of Weird Shit has to be random. There is no reason it has to be any more random than the distribution of snowfall, or parakeets. I have heard about quite a lot of Weird Shit happening to people I know and trust, as well as a lot of well attested stories from others of high character.

If Frank made this up for some reason, or if you did, and I'm tricked by it, then so what? It proves nothing, disproves nothing. Some people do such things to convince themselves they are clever, or whatever, and that's sad. I'm not going to let those losers cause me to judge all such stories unfairly. Frank's narrative is internally consistent, and I don't see any red flags waving at me. For others, the "magical" aspects are just too weird, and therefore cannot possibly be true. We all have our triggers.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with us.

I've always thought that The subjective experience of the 'weird' is far more interesting than the search for 'evidence' - I find a vague glimpse of something shadowy in a gloomy house far nore fascinating than any number of thermometer- recorded temperature drops or EMF readings. Would be very interesting to hear your tales too - unless too private to share of course as these can be very personal experiences.
I get you. My house is often a bit weird and people on'ere recommend setting up camcorders, thermometers etc to prove it.
None of that is going to happen. I don't need to prove anything.

To be honest he had a lucky escape encounters with Fey don't tend to end well (if that was what she was) it's good job she did not offer him anything to eat or join in a dance, because you wouldn't have seen him again

I like this story and I thank you for bringing it to us. I know first hand how irritating "the treatment" can be here and other places. I've been guilty of dishing it out myself. Some people, though, want to read weird stories for the entertainment value, but don't want to have to deal with the possibility that they might have actually happened. That's what creepy pasta is for. Most members here have more to them than that, of course, and just want to make sure they are not being tricked into believing some yarn. I understand that insecurity, and try to avoid manifesting it myself.

I have no problem believing Frank experienced what he said he did. I don't need a tidy, "rational explanation" and so I usually manage to avoid crossing the line from skepticism to rationalization. At least I try to. The latter looks foolish to people who experienced the events and know they were not mistaken. Another thing people lose sight of far too often is the simple reality that a story like this can't be proven in any definitive way, let alone on an online forum decades after the events. Seeking such proof is a fool's errand. I know for sure that Weird Shit happens because a surprising amount of it has happened to me. Fortunately, I have a very sensible world view that allows me to avoid the false assumption that the distribution of Weird Shit has to be random. There is no reason it has to be any more random than the distribution of snowfall, or parakeets. I have heard about quite a lot of Weird Shit happening to people I know and trust, as well as a lot of well attested stories from others of high character.

If Frank made this up for some reason, or if you did, and I'm tricked by it, then so what? It proves nothing, disproves nothing. Some people do such things to convince themselves they are clever, or whatever, and that's sad. I'm not going to let those losers cause me to judge all such stories unfairly. Frank's narrative is internally consistent, and I don't see any red flags waving at me. For others, the "magical" aspects are just too weird, and therefore cannot possibly be true. We all have our triggers.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with us.
I have no problem with folks stating their concerns or skepticism, this is healthy (and most folks I have met in here do so in a non-confrontation and professional way) what I don't tolerate is veiled accusations.

I agree there are folks that plant hoaxes from time to time; this is for a number of reasons: to fool and get the better of people, to create a mystery that they are the center of, etc, etc.

All I have done is answered any questions to the best of my knowledge (most are questions I have asked frank beforehand and I feel safe in answering in lieu).
I do still hope that Frank will come on here himself (as I mentioned he has been going through a lot of family issues at the moment with health and other things).

Over the years we have read very personal accounts of people's own weird experiences that they'd never share anywhere else because of a fear of being thought mad.

Those are my very favourite posts and I feel honoured for being trusted with them.

(The ghost-themed threads have many examples of this. Some posters stay just long enough to tell their story, then they're off.)

It's OK to question posters respectfully or to suggest alternative explanations; but calling people liars or idiots is rude and downright unFortean. That's not what we're here for.

We, and by that I mean fans of weirdness who've signed up'ere, want to hear everything. Everything.
Most of us are warmly accepting though not, we hope, gullible. ;)

Over the years we have read very personal accounts of people's own weird experiences that they'd never share anywhere else because of a fear of being thought mad.

Those are my very favourite posts and I feel honoured for being trusted with them.

(The ghost-themed threads have many examples of this. Some posters stay just long enough to tell their story, then they're off.)

It's OK to question posters respectfully or to suggest alternative explanations; but calling people liars or idiots is rude and downright unFortean. That's not what we're here for.

We, and by that I mean fans of weirdness who've signed up'ere, want to hear everything. Everything.
Great post!

I Concur.

This is why I am here, fan of the weird.

Back