• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Meeting Nicola"

Getting bullied because of double glazing? That's a new one on me lol. I wonder if folks back in the day got bullied just because they had an indoor Toilet? I can understand someone getting bullied because they have a better Computer, or Bike, put that down to jelousy, But double glazing is something a little mundane for a school child to feel threatened by. I guess he wouldn't like me then, we had double glazing in both the east AND west wing of the house.
I dunno. When I was growing up only the houses down the other (posh) end of the village had double glazing. The rest of us had Jack Frost every winter.

In reference to Nicola's sudden change of mood when Frank asked her about the summer solstice, I have just remembered my own experience of someone getting inexplicably angry at something harmless I had said.

I was on a group coach tour in Turkey. One of our party was telling us about the house she had recently bought upon her retirement. She mentioned that the master bedroom had an ensuite bathroom. Now, this must have been the late 1980s and I had at that time never come across a UK home with an ensuite bathroom for a bedroom. I associated ensuite bathrooms with hotels.

I said something amicably, normally conversational like, 'Oh lucky you, I have never heard of that before.' She suddenly glared at me and said, 'Well it's perfectly normal nowadays!' in a really angry voice, as if my comment had been offensive. She could have said calmly, 'It's becoming more common in new-builds' or something but instead was furious, possibly at my ignorance? But I didn't move in such circles.

Another case of unprovoked anger. The point I am trying to make (I do have one!) is that perhaps Nicola just went off on one for no good reason.
I can kinda see where the person might have taken what you have said as a vailed or sarcastic comment or something like that, remember in the UK they are VERY possessive about their homes, in the past duals have been fought, just because some Englishman has insulted another English man's curtains, It's a savage world.

1706990505138.png

"It's curtains for you, Carruthers!"

I can kinda see where the person might have taken what you have said as a vailed or sarcastic comment or something like that.
I suppose it is possible but I am sure I didn't sound sarcastic. I didn't mean to, anyhow. Her unpredictable over-reaction to my comment about the en-suite bathroom, meant as a compliment, seems similar to Nicola's about solstice.

I suppose it is possible but I am sure I didn't sound sarcastic. I didn't mean to, anyhow. Her unpredictable over-reaction to my comment about the en-suite bathroom, meant as a compliment, seems similar to Nicola's about solstice.
Like I said, she over-reacted. Some people do. You're supposed to apologise and grovel a bit. They love that. Drama queens. :chuckle:

We currently have a male one at work. I just turn my back and walk off when he starts. :wink2:

View attachment 73583
"It's curtains for you, Carruthers!"
Splendid, you have found an illustration of the Winthrope II Vs Carruthers duel of 1862 (Originally from issue 237 of "Percy's weekly quarrel" The duel was shortly interrupted by the local constabulary, one was Arrested for " meddling in counterfeit Tea Pots and Winthrope II was arrested for "Ruffian Behaviour" after soiling the air in Lord Rupert Reginald Percy III personal Carriage.

When it comes to sensitivity about ones own home you needn't sound sarcastic, some folks are just waiting to be offended at the slightest criticsm. It is also worth noting here , when I asked Frank myself about how angry she got, he said it wasn't just like an irritation it was like she was going to attack, like he mentiond to me he's been in over 50 fights in Sicily when he was younger, BUT never felt that level of danger immiting From Nicola. He wasn't being disrespectfull when he said " I thought I was with an escaped patient".

I think the dog was just some random dog and she only said it was her Nans to try and put him off. Dogs tend to attack people who attack their owners/friends, right? Best not to try anything then. Note she never said it was hers. If she said it was hers, there is a risk he might expect her to call it. Well it would ignore her of course as it was nothing to do with her!

Likewise, meeting the biker on the path is also explainable. If he was a friend of hers and they had gone there together, she would know roughly where he was and head for him. It is what most people would do if they were worried for their safety. Telling Frank to get lost is not really a great option. He might indeed get lost. Or he might become aggressive. She doesn't know which as he is a stranger to her. Keep him talking till she gets to safety is the best plan. Being accosted by a strange man in a secluded place can be frightening. Especially if he seems persistent. You don't know what he wants. He even considers this at one point, just before they meet the biker but concludes that he is in danger instead.
I think this is probably all true. Frank thought Nicola readily accepted his offer of a walk, but perhaps she only thought she had to, out of politeness, or fear? Women are trained from girlhood to play nice and be 'polite' and acquiescent, and probably more so in those days (I think I am around the same age as Frank and presumably Nicola and grew up in those times). We must also be constantly vigilant for men turning nasty.

A couple of incidents from my early adulthood: A man my age offered to walk me home from a student meeting. I normally walked the two miles home on my own quite happily, even in the dark. However, I reckoned I must not turn down a kind and chivalrous offer, as that would be rude. When he got to my doorstep, he tried to snog me. I told him I wasn't interested and he wasn't unpleasant *at all* but was clearly genuinely surprised: He'd taken my acceptance as a come-on.

Another. once more from early adulthood: On holiday in Turkey (again!) a carpet seller tried to get me to buy a rug and I said no I couldn't afford one (true). He said there was not harm in looking so I went in *because I didn't want to be rude*. Then he insisted on giving me tea. Then he invited me to his villa. I said I couldn't because I already had a boyfriend (because turning him when he had no competition would seem rude!). He said 'Well your boyfriend is not here' at which point I got really scared. Fortunately it wasn't hard to get away as the carpet shop was down a buy alleyway.

So yes, Min, I think it's perfectly possible that Nicola was not as keen as young, virile Frank assumed!

I too, believe that @Min Bannister's and @JudSawyer's suggestions for Nicola's response to Frank to be very plausible.

Even the outrage (I will use this term because of @Damien's explanation of Frank's interpretation of extreme anger) that Nicola displayed could have been a reaction to becoming very afraid of Frank. Her perception of the encounter can be very different from Frank's, as suggested by Min and Jud.

Being in situations as a young woman with men I didn't know who were creepy and very insistent that I give them my time and attention, I tried to extricate myself quickly, and definitely never turn my back from them. Any reason - and, yes I even used a very new male acquaintance to be my "boyfriend" excuse - to get away quickly and safely.

Watched/listened to the video a few days ago, slightly distracted as I was partly doing other things and was largely familiar with the incident from this thread. Don't have anything of import to add, Frank seems genuine enough. Not sure that anything supernatural was occurring, however it may have felt to Frank before or after. Listened to some of that video that @Damien posted - the US podcast covering the case, managed four minutes and the florid language defeated me.

Getting bullied because of double glazing? That's a new one on me lol. I wonder if folks back in the day got bullied just because they had an indoor Toilet? I can understand someone getting bullied because they have a better Computer, or Bike, put that down to jelousy, But double glazing is something a little mundane for a school child to feel threatened by. I guess he wouldn't like me then, we had double glazing in both the east AND west wing of the house.
Growing up,
We were the only people in our terrace who had an indoor loo upstairs - yes we were subject to some snide comments about being above ourselves etc.

At least we didn’t have to truck downstairs and out theback in the winter !

When it comes to sensitivity about ones own home you needn't sound sarcastic, some folks are just waiting to be offended at the slightest criticsm. It is also worth noting here , when I asked Frank myself about how angry she got, he said it wasn't just like an irritation it was like she was going to attack, like he mentiond to me he's been in over 50 fights in Sicily when he was younger, BUT never felt that level of danger immiting From Nicola. He wasn't being disrespectfull when he said " I thought I was with an escaped patient".
You can't rule out the possibility of an escaped patient of course or at least someone with severe mental health issues. I knew someone who on the face of it was very friendly (and very attractive in her 30's) but could turn at the least provocation to a shrieking angry person. Others had warned me about her and there was no relationship involved but I quickly learned to avoid her after she tipped a restaurant meal onto the floor when it wasn't to her liking. Nicola could easily have had some form of mental disorder.

Growing up,
We were the only people in our terrace who had an indoor loo upstairs - yes we were subject to some snide comments about being above ourselves etc.

At least we didn’t have to truck downstairs and out theback in the winter !
So it wasn't a low downstairs Toilet, but a high level second floor Toilet. So one could say when you went, you was high on pot. :p

My childhood home was a Victorian end-of-terrace three-story house. It had been remodeled just before my parents bought it.
It had an outside bog - no light but usual fittings - and we also had an upstairs bathroom & toilet.
No central heating, no double glazing, no modernity.

Thought this might be relevant, there are certainly parallels with this case:

"It is one of my favourite fairy experiences. In the 1990s two sisters and a dog were out exploring in the early afternoon ‘in the woods behind our grandparents’ house’ in Arkansas. At a certain point the younger sister (aged six) had run a few yards ahead and the elder sister, a teen, noticed that off to the side a woman had appeared among the trees: ‘She was wearing a long, white dress and was walking toward us but there was no noise of crunching leaves or anything. It was completely silent and still. The birds and wind didn’t even make a sound. She was beautiful and seemed to glow a little like she was a little brighter than everything else around her. She looked at me smiled and waved’. ‘Her hair was dark blonde and was long and loose… and seemed to be brighter than her surroundings like she maybe glowed a little.’"

http://www.strangehistory.net/2024/02/05/the-wood-diva/

Last edited:
I'm amazed that this non-event has attracted so much attention. I see nothing strange or unusual about this encounter whatsoever. The only creepy aspect of the story I pick up on is Frank's behaviour. I live near Walton, and the area where this took place has a reputation as a haunt of sexual predators, so it is no surprise Nicola acted as she did. It could be that Frank unknowingly exudes a weird threatening vibe. That may also explain how he managed to get into so many scraps in Sicily.

I'm amazed that this non-event has attracted so much attention. I see nothing strange or unusual about this encounter whatsoever. The only creepy aspect of the story I pick up on is Frank's behaviour. I live near Walton, and the area where this took place has a reputation as a haunt of sexual predators, so it is no surprise Nicola acted as she did. It could be that Frank unknowingly exudes a weird threatening vibe. That may also explain how he managed to get into so many scraps in Sicily.
That's very interesting. When you say 'sexual predators', do you mean that people, specifically women and children, might feel unsafe there because of men loitering? Or is it more a place with a Hampstead Heath/dogging-type vibe?

Techy used to sing and play bass in a band called Tall Dwarf. :chuckle:
(He's just informed me that he also wrote songs and did the sound, and reminded me that he was singing for them when he fell through a stage halfway into a performance!)

An old friend in the US, now sadly deceased, had a publishing company called Little Giant, and there's also an excellent UK outfit that performs and records as Big Dwarf. Some of their material displays a distinct Fortean tinge.

That's very interesting. When you say 'sexual predators', do you mean that people, specifically women and children, might feel unsafe there because of men loitering? Or is it more a place with a Hampstead Heath/dogging-type vibe?
Sadly, it's all shades of that kind of activity, including sexually motivated murder. On the opposite bank of the Thames on this stretch lies Desborough Island, known to locals as Desperate Island. The whole area has long enjoyed a seedy reputation and has a distinctly dodgy vibe.

Sadly, it's all shades of that kind of activity, including sexually motivated murder. On the opposite bank of the Thames on this stretch lies Desborough Island, known to locals as Desperate Island. The whole area has long enjoyed a seedy reputation and has a distinctly dodgy vibe.
Stats from the interweb:
  • Violence and Sexual Offences: The most common crimes in Walton-on-Thames are violence and sexual offences, with 1,907 offenses reported in 2022, resulting in a crime rate of 28. This is a 9% increase compared to 2021.

Back