Megalodon

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So big eating starts early?

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Blurry Photo's podcast and monsters among us did a recent "round table" review on the film "Meg" (2018). Don't bother listening it was awful I've no idea why they picked this film when they were so obviously not interested in it. Why would you be it was rubbish?

If I want to listen to 3 bored people going through the motions then I have certain teams at work I deal with that do that.

Minimalists

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Thank goodness! I spend quite a bit of time swimming in the sea, and have constantly had a nagging worry about the thought of being bitten in half by a 60 — 80 foot shark. Now I know they were only about 50 feet long, I will be far more relaxed about the whole thing.

The smaller ones are just as capable of biting you in half as a 60-80 footer...

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Maternal Meg.

Megalodon, the largest shark that ever lived, was a fierce predator in prehistoric seas, with a bite force five times as strong as today’s great white.

But it was also a wise mother, new research reveals. An analysis of megalodon teeth found from sites across multiple continents suggests these giants commonly used nurseries to improve their youngsters’ chances of survival, just as some modern sharks do.

It is an “exciting” possibility, says Kenshu Shimada, a paleobiologist at DePaul University who wasn’t involved with the work. Still, he says, more research is needed to confirm the findings.

Many modern marine animals, from shrimp to sharks, rely on nurseries. These shallower areas, such as mangroves and seagrass, are rich with nutrients, which help young grow big and strong enough to survive out on their own. ...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/11/megalodon-was-megalo-mom

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
A great scientific discussion about what we know about megalodon.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Megalodon teeth found in Atacama Desert

A massive haul of huge razor-sharp teeth which belonged to the biggest fish that ever lived were stumbled on in a desert by chance.

The bumper find of megalodon teeth in the Atacama desert in Chile is now "one of the largest scientific collections of megalodon teeth in the world."

"[It's] by far the largest shark of all time, a super predator whose wingspan is estimated to be between 16 and 20 metres (52 and 66 feet) long," said Atacama Palaeontology's Executive Director, Pablo Quilodran.
1637845955123.png
1637845968475.png

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
"[It's] by far the largest shark of all time, a super predator whose wingspan is estimated to be between 16 and 20 metres (52 and 66 feet) long,"
Bloody hell! Those movies on the SYFY channel were right after all! o_O

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Megalodon and chips though you would need a lot of chips.

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
I have never heard "wingspan" referred to for shark size.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never heard "wingspan" referred to for shark size.

I don't know how formal or how widespread the practice may be, but I've found multiple documented allusions to 'wingspan' being used to mean the distance between the tips of a fish's pectoral (front side-mounted) fins.

It's a new one on me, too ...

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
"…the largest shark of all time, a super predator whose wingspan is estimated to be between 16 and 20 metres (52 and 66 feet) long,"

Was English even among the palette of languages available to the writer? A “shark whose wingspan was 20 metres long”?

:yuck:

maximus otter

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
It conjures up a rather strange image.