• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mel Gibson's Apocalypto

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Apocalypto (2006)

An action/adventure film set 600 years ago, prior to the 16th-century Spanish conquest of Mexico and Central America.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0472043/

December 16, 2005

First Footage From Mel Gibson's Apocalypto

(Posted In Drama Film News Trailer Alert USA and Canada )

apocalypto.jpgThe first footage from Mel Gibson's Apocalypto has turned up online and it looks as though he'll continue his streak of big money makers. The footage is from an ET sneak peek, so there's not a whole lot to it but what's there looks mighty impressive. Whatever you may think of the content of the man's films there's no denying he's shown a knack for the big period epic ....

Apocalypto Footage (downloadable Quicktime)

And since some people really seem to have problems with that Russian server we're mirroring it here.

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004527.html

Source
Apocalypto Now
EXCLUSIVE: You'd think Mel Gibson was all done with violent movies about the past told in a foreign tongue, right? Think again
By TIM PADGETT/VERACRUZ

"I need to see the blood!" shouts Mel Gibson. "Your character is going to die soon!" He picks up a bullhorn: "Attention! We are all dying here! We are all dying!" The Oscar-winning director is standing in a rock quarry near Veracruz, Mexico, shooting a hellish scene for Apocalypto, his action epic about the ancient Maya. Hundreds of local extras--many of whom have never seen a movie, let alone acted in one--are pounding fake limestone to build a temple used for human sacrifices. Gibson wants one of the extras, covered in white lime dust, to visibly cough up a glob of fake blood. But something keeps getting lost in translation. Take after take, the young man, who speaks only Spanish, politely covers his mouth as he hacks. A second candidate for the role does the same. Gibson finally lets out a tortured howl, digs vainly for a cigarette in his empty pack of Camels and turns the set into his own Thunderdome. The translator does his best to convey the passion of the Mel.

The blasts turn to laughs soon after when, to lighten the mood, Gibson has the crew bring out a stuffed jaguar and leads the extras running away in mock terror. But later he admits to TIME, which this month was given the first look at Apocalypto's production, that the utter inexperience of most of the cast is a price he's paying for the authentic feel he wants in the film, in which dialogue is spoken solely in Yucatec Maya. If people were imagining that Gibson, 50, might coast a little after his 2004 movie, The Passion of the Christ, inspired not only months of controversy but also nearly $1 billion worth of ticket sales, the director has given his answer: Nope. If anything, this film is a more ambitious project than The Passion--although success does make some things a mite easier. Gibson had to walk a via dolorosa to find a distributor for The Passion and ended up distributing it more or less himself, but Disney's Touchstone Pictures needed only to read Apocalypto's script before signing on to release it in early August.

The Passion experience--especially the part in which critics hurled anti-Semitism charges at Gibson, an ultraconservative Roman Catholic whose father has questioned whether the Holocaust happened--thickened Gibson's hide along with his wallet. So if there are complaints about Apocalypto's portrayal of human sacrifice by the Maya, whose mostly impoverished descendants today are a cause célèbre for liberals, Gibson says he won't care. "After what I experienced with The Passion, I frankly don't give a flying f___ about much of what those critics think."

Still, he likes to confound expectations--he wears a cross containing relics of martyred saints, but he can swear like a Quentin Tarantino character--and those who peg him as a reactionary may be surprised to learn that his new film sounds warnings straight out of liberal Hollywood's bible. Apocalypto, which Gibson loosely translates from the Greek as "a new beginning," was inspired in large part by his work with the Mirador Basin Project, an effort to preserve a large swath of the Guatemalan rain forest and its Maya ruins. Gibson and his rookie cowriter on Apocalypto, Farhad Safinia, were captivated by the ancient Maya, one of the hemisphere's first great civilizations, which reached its zenith about A.D. 600 in southern Mexico and northern Guatemala. The two began poring over Maya myths of creation and destruction, including the Popol Vuh, and research suggesting that ecological abuse and war-mongering were major contributors to the Maya's sudden collapse, some 500 years before Europeans arrived in the Americas.

Those apocalyptic strains haunt Apocalypto, which takes place in an opulent but decaying Maya kingdom, whose leaders insist that if the gods are not appeased by more temples and human sacrifices, the crops will die. But the writers hope that the larger themes of decline will be a wake-up call. "The parallels between the environmental imbalance and corruption of values that doomed the Maya and what's happening to our own civilization are eerie," says Safinia. Gibson, who insists ideology matters less to him than stories of "penitential hardship" like his Oscar-winning Braveheart, puts it more bluntly: "The fearmongering we depict in this film reminds me a little of President Bush and his guys."

But the project also fulfills Gibson's need for speed. The hunk who played Mad Max 27 years ago wants to "shake up the stale action-adventure genre," which he feels has been taken hostage by computer-generated imagery (CGI), stock stories and shallow characters. To rattle the cage, he says, "we had to think of something utterly different." The Mad Maya hero in Apocalypto is Jaguar Paw. His escape through the Mexican rain forest will "feel like a car chase that just keeps turning the screws," says Gibson, flashing one of his patented bug-eyed expressions. True to the no-pain, no-gain credo of his other films, Apocalypto seeks to deliver enough pre-Columbian punishment--like the decidedly non-CGI mauling of a character by an animal--to rival the medieval gore of Braveheart. "I get pretty banged up in some pretty awful ways," says film newcomer Rudy Youngblood, 25, the Comanche and Cree Indian from Texas who plays Jaguar Paw.

Gibson is betting the chase will feel even hairier thanks to a new digital camera system, Panavision's Genesis, that yields a "tremendous sensation of velocity," says cinematographer Dean Semler, who won an Oscar for Dances with Wolves. All the doom and zoom sound fun, but the ancient Maya are also called the Greeks of the New World--they invented the concept of zero, built astonishing cities and used a more complex calendar than ours. Gibson insists the glory gets its close-ups too. Says Richard Hansen, a Maya scholar at Idaho State University, head of the Mirador Basin Project and a consultant for Apocalypto: "This is by far the best treatment--the first treatment really--of the Maya any film has ever done. I'm amazed at the detail Mel's shooting for."

In fact, says veteran production designer Tom Sanders, Apocalypto "is the hardest show I've ever worked on." Stacks of archaeology books and magazines are strewn about a massive warehouse in Veracruz, where an army of costume and makeup artisans from Mexico and Italy are painstakingly re-creating feathers of the nearly extinct quetzal for royal headdresses and long, looping earlobe extensions for warriors. (Because those prostheses are difficult to apply, the actors must wear them for days on end, which rather spooks fellow guests at the Fiesta Americana Hotel.) This month Gibson starts filming at a sprawling and meticulously appointed city of Maya pyramids and markets that Sanders' crew spent six months building outside Veracruz. It all suggests a Titanic-size budget, but Gibson will say only that his production company, Icon, is spending less than $50 million. (The Passion cost $30 million.)

Given that controversy hit his last film months before it even finished production, Gibson has been careful to build Mesoamerican goodwill for Apocalypto: two-thirds of the cast and crew are Mexican, and Gibson has donated $1 million to communities in Veracruz state affected by Hurricane Stan last year. Mexican cast members like Mayra Sérbulo, 30, a Zapotec Indian who plays a villager, say they expect some criticism of the film from Mexican nationalists (who also tore into Salma Hayek's Frida), especially since it touches on the raw issue of human sacrifice, which scholars don't believe was a prevalent Maya practice until the post-classic period, after A.D. 900, when fiercer influences like the Toltecs and Aztecs arrived. It is in that period, not coincidentally, that Apocalypto is set. "But I'm frankly surprised and excited that someone is making a film about an indigenous Mexican culture that most Mexicans don't even know all that well," says Sérbulo. "I feel valued by this movie."

Gibson nonetheless is a lightning rod--pro-Mel and anti-Mel blogs abound on the Internet--and he knows that even non-Mexican detractors will ask why, if he's so morbidly fascinated with the bloody deeds of Jewish Pharisees and Maya priests, he doesn't hold a mirror to his own church and film the Spanish Inquisition. Gibson won't say that's a future plan, but he nods and agrees that "there are monsters in every culture."

The more immediate question is whether Apocalypto can repeat The Passion's success. After all, devout Christians willing to sit through Latin and Aramaic dialogue to see Christ crucified vastly outnumber Maya scholars. Gibson seems certain that the film's "kinetic energy" will make Maya language and culture "cool" enough to attract a crowd. Maya prophecy says the current world, which began 5,000 years ago, will end in 2012. So, even if Apocalypto flops, Gibson will at least have given the Maya one last chance to get the word out.

I'm really looking forward to this and may even go to the cinema rather than wait for dvd :D

Broke box office records here:

Mel Gibson's Apocalypto smashes record

Press Association
Tuesday January 9, 2007
The Guardian

Mel Gibson's new film, Apocalypto, has claimed the box office record for the biggest opening weekend for a foreign language film in the UK.

The film, spoken in the Mayan dialect and estimated to have cost £20m, has taken £1.3m since its release last Friday. It opened in 385 cinemas in the UK just weeks after the former Braveheart star, 50, appeared to have ruined his career with a drunken anti-semitic outburst.

The film, which has received the kind of attention directors of other foreign language films can only dream of, beat the previous record holder, Hero, which took £1.05m in 2004 during its opening weekend. Takings also dwarf opening weekends for other titles such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (£696,000) and Amélie (£559,000).

Gibson's fourth film as director is set during the decline of the Mayan civilisation in Mexico and its cast is largely unknown. It has received mixed reviews from critics, who say violence is shown in extreme detail with throats cut, people beheaded and still-beating hearts ripped from the victims of human sacrifice.

Two years ago, The Passion of the Christ, Gibson's controversial retelling of the final 12 hours of Jesus Christ's life, became a commercial phenomenon. But the film, which featured all the dialogue in Aramaic, was also criticised for its explicit violence, and by Jewish groups.

Gibson was arrested for drink-driving six months ago, when he blamed Jews for being "responsible for all the wars in the world". The Mad Max star has since publicly apologised, recently saying he had done enough to bring people to the cinema to see his latest film. The Passion of the Christ only took £229,426 at its opening weekend in the UK in 2004. It only opened in 46 cinemas, compared with 385 for Apocalypto.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0 ... 07,00.html

and got a rave review and he rarely likes anything ;) :

Apocalypto

**** Cert 18

Peter Bradshaw
Friday January 5, 2007
The Guardian

If people have got it in for Mel Gibson, he has only himself to blame. His behaviour has been repulsive. Everyone is prejudiced against his films. I am prejudiced against his films. So the sentence following this is going to take me quite some time to write, because between every keystroke, there will be a three-minute pause while I clench my fists up to my temples and emit a long growl of resentment and rage.

Mel Gibson's Apocalypto is pathologically brilliant. It is bizarre, stomach-turningly violent and frequently inspired.

Consider the situation. In 2004, Gibson made a very foolish and shallow film about Jesus, which seemed chillingly to endorse the Judeophobia of that traditional, reactionary Catholicism associated with his father, a notorious Holocaust denier. Just in case we were in any doubt about his own views, in July last year Gibson got pulled over by a cop for driving under the influence of vino and promptly let rip with the veritas: "Fucking Jews. Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world. Are you a Jew?"

After many grovelling apologies, Gibson has now released this, his new film, a historical action-adventure set in the 16th-century Mayan civilisation of South and Central America, featuring tribesmen with bones through their noses, speaking Mayan dialect with subtitles. It has a spectacular human sacrifice scene, in which slaves are led in a veritable production line up the side of a gigantic pyramid, surrounded by crowds; they are butchered at the apex by holy men, to the accompaniment of sinister didgeridoo-type humming, then pushed down the slope to hysterical cheers. A young tribesman escapes slaughter but stumbles upon a racecourse-sized killing field for those who have not been so lucky. It is full of naked corpses.

Like the rest of the film, the scene is brilliant for its sheer delirious excess, its brash, old-fashioned storytelling, and brash, new-fashioned violence. And those naked corpses. What was Gibson thinking? Did he realise what he was doing? Did he realise what images and ideas he was invoking? Well, the director is certainly inviting us to sympathise with the captured and enslaved wretches, so it could be that this is the nearest he will ever come to some form of cinematically constituted apology. And how about the link between this bizarre human sacrifice and Christianity itself? Does Gibson mean us to see it? Does he see it himself?

I have no idea. But the film radiates a kind of electric, shamanic craziness. From the first scene, showing a tapir being brutally killed and eaten, right up to the fantastic denouement, Apocalypto never lets up: a riveting tale of proud tribesmen being captured by a brutally efficient slavemaster attack-squad, then tied up and led to the capital: fresh meat for the 24/7 human sacrifice operation with its continuous waterfall of blood, maintained by a desperate oligarchy in order to propitiate the angry gods who are spoiling their crops.

It almost puts Mel Gibson into a kind of insane-genius league, not too far from the adventures of Werner Herzog. But it wasn't for hours after I had staggered dumbly out of the cinema that I realised which German director Gibson really was channelling - and again, this is hardly going to recommend his film to anyone. Apocalypto is like something by Leni Riefenstahl, both from her Nazi period (the prehistoric Mayan Nuremberg, the mad, declamatory leader) and from her later, primitivist-anthropological period of photographing Sudanese tribesmen.

There's no doubting the film's power or its throat-grabbing narrative: it has inspired images of jungle warfare and cunning, including the disturbing use of a beehive as a weapon. What other Hollywood mainstreamer would have dreamt of making a movie about Mayan tribespeople in the Mayan language - and betting cash from his own pocket on the venture? Conventional Hollywood thinking dictates that real money and success is to be made from thinking inside the box, and so it mostly is. But Gibson clearly believes otherwise. It's interesting to wonder what would have happened if he had somehow kept his authorship of this film secret, and got it entered it under a pseudonym at Cannes, in say the critic's week or director's fortnight sections. I bet it would be a world-cinema sensation, with critics queueing up to lavish praise on a visionary excursion into an audaciously imagined world, at once decadent and barbaric.

Well, that is not to be. Whatever its box-office success, Apocalypto may not find a chorus of approval. Its crazed mannerisms, its semi-controlled backwash of historical resonance, its melodramatic title, may all count against it. My view is that for all the director's personal obnoxiousness, the truth is that his mad and virile film makes everything else around look pretty feeble. This is an extraordinary cinematic journey upriver: a worryingly potent Mr Kurtz is sitting in the director's chair.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic ... 89,00.html

but takes liberties:

Another view

Maya archaeologist Elizabeth Graham on Apocalypto

Monday January 8, 2007
The Guardian

The chases were terrific, and I cheered for the good guys. But if Apocalypto is supposed to bear some relation to Maya civilisation, then I have to hate it. It conflates 2,000 years of Maya history into a single period - the equivalent, in Britain, of setting one story in a time stretching from the Roman occupation to the death of Elizabeth I, disregarding changes in language, religion and culture.

The village of Jaguar Paw, the hero, is perplexing. The houses look like cages. There is no evidence of farming, weaving or maize-processing, but in real life, the Maya were farmers from at least 2,000BC. They built stout houses on platforms faced with well-cut stone. Men farmed plots and grew maize, beans, squash and cacao. I suspect Mel Gibson wanted to show the rural Maya as noble savages, which would make them fair game for Christian conversion.

Warriors are shown attacking Paw's village for "sacrificial victims". This is rubbish: prisoners captured in conflicts between nobles might have been sacrificed, but not innocent villagers. In fact, Maya rules of warfare did not sanction killing in battle: the victor would capture his opponent. Death might come later, but it was not inevitable.

The film closes with the idea of a new beginning for the humble forest-dwelling Maya. This is hard to swallow. The Spaniards who conquered the Maya in Belize used "war dogs" trained to eat human flesh. The soldiers cut off ears, noses and hands. They plundered villages and raped survivors. Such was the new beginning.

Gibson's film, to me, is simply the latest in a long line of justifications for European displacement of Amerindian peoples.

· Elizabeth Graham is a senior lecturer in the archaeology of Latin America at University College London

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/sto ... 75,00.html

Mel's own special brand of homo erotic sadomasochism.

Bound to be popular. :rofl:

Yes I saw something on the TV where (possibl movie reviews on BBC News 24?) where they were commenting on the common factor in his films: sadism.

---------
If this is true is there any lower Mel's rep can go?:

Mel Gibson being sued for plagiarism

Mexican director claims Apocalypto ripped off his ideas

Staff and agencies
Wednesday January 3, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

Another day, another Mel Gibson story hits the headlines. The actor-director, whose anti-semitic outburst last summer was a goldmine for media outlets around the world, is now being sued by a Mexican director who claims that Gibson ripped off his ideas for his Mayan epic, Apocalypto.

Juan Catlett claims that Gibson used scenes from his 1991 film, Return to Aztlan, in Apocalypto. The storylines basically cover the same ground, depicting the Mayan civilisation imploding in a time of great drought.

Catlett alleges that Gibson asked for a copy of his film while shooting Apocalypto and that scenes from Return to Aztlan ended up in Gibson's film. Catlett has now started legal proceedings against Gibson.

Apocalypto made a strong debut in North America, zooming straight to No 1 in the US box office chart with $14.2m in the first weekend. It opens in the UK this Friday.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0 ... 33,00.html

I was frightened it would be in Nawotl or some other `pop` language.

The name of the movie sounds like a joke. Maybe a Robert Rankin novel or so.

Xanatico said:
The name of the movie sounds like a joke. Maybe a Robert Rankin novel ...
Rankin could do a version called "Alcopopto", where a culture destroys itself due to the ready availability of fruit-flavoured liquor. The anti-hero would be fat John "Two Jaguar paws" Prescott. Oh, and obviously Brentford would feature heavily.

Sorry - thinking a bit too far "out of the box" there.

Watched this last night, It's 2 movies, a short documentary on tribal folk which can be ignored or slept through then after half an hour or so you get the epic fun stuff. 6/10 for grim ;)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957310.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Mel's indigenous indignation
'Apocalypto' under attack in Guatemala

Mel Gibson might be undergoing a rapid transformation from saint to sinner in the eyes of the Guatemalan people.

Guatemala is an intensely religious country, and "The Passion of the Christ" was one of the most popular films in its history. The release was a phenomenon in a nation where Semana Santa -- Easter week -- is by far the year's major holiday.

When that film was released in 2004, one newspaper ran a cartoon of Jesus looking down from heaven and asking, "Why all the commotion in Guatemala?" He's told it's because "all the Christians are running around looking for pirated copies of 'The Passion of the Christ.' "

But the reaction to Gibson's Mayan-language "Apocalypto," which is scheduled to open March 9 in Guatemala, is stirring up passions of a different sort in a country that is 43% pure Mayan.

According to Guatemala's Prensa Libre newspaper, a member of the Presidential Commission Against Racism & Discrimination called the film "racist and without a connection to reality." (He hadn't seen it yet.)

And the head of the National Council of Mayan Education said the film "leaves a message of discrimination and racism that should be rejected by Guatemalans." (It's unclear whether he'd seen the film.)

A slightly more upbeat take came from a Guatemalan who had actually seen the picture. "Cinefilo" Leon Aguilera said although "Apocalypto" was "plagued with anachronisms," it was also "rich in production, wardrobe and makeup," and he reminded viewers, "It's only a movie."

This time around the paper's cartoon had Gibson being told there were people outside who were accusing him of racism. He replies that he's already apologized to the Jews.

Now, he's told, the ones complaining are indigenous Mayan orgs.

Back