• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
out I haven’t found the Iceni Hoard.
Next time.
9167E1C5-36AD-420B-9097-B2A2C927DF18.jpeg

Great find, but it doesn’t say “key” to me. Are you sure that it isn’t an articulated leg & foot from a small humanoid toy?

maximus otter
The escutcheon isn't old but on the other hand ..
the item says key to me more than articulated leg or flip-lever. I'll let the FLO decide (if she ever answers emails).

Key_306d.jpg

The escutcheon isn't old but on the other hand ..
the item says key to me more than articulated leg or flip-lever. I'll let the FLO decide (if she ever answers emails).

View attachment 76610
I'd say the dog-leg thing is a catch (as suggested by a previous poster).
Both items may not be much older than the 17th or 18th century (but I'm just guessing here).

I used to go metal detecting with someone back in the '80s and he told me a very interesting story when I last went to see him (a few months ago) which I'd like to share. He told me that he once found a curious-looking ring which he kept. When he showed his wife she took an instant dislike to it for some reason so he put in a box in the attic and forgot about it. Apparently, shortly after that they began to be aware of some loud noises at night which was keeping them awake and which they assumed was the neighbour engaged in some late night DIY. They put up with it for a few days and then he decided he'd had enough and that he was going to pop round next door and ask them what was going on, but that very day his neighbour turned up asking HIM what the noises were about and complaining that they were keeping them awake! He then realized that it was neither of them and he came to the conclusion that it was connected to the ring, and then at his wife's insistence he took it back to where he found it and reburied it. And that did the trick as there were no more noises.

I know that sounds a bit made up but he's not the sort to make up stuff like that so I know it's true and his wife confirmed it to me. She said that it had these spiral rings engraved around it and that she felt strangely uneasy with it for some reason. It was found near an old church apparently.

Back