• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Micronesian Raft 'Mystery'

ShadowPrime

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This may be more of a "crime" story than a Fortean mystery, but it sounded intriguing....

On NPR this morning, they ran a BBC story about a mystery in the Micronesian Islands... apparently, since September 2001, about 13 or so rafts have washed ashore, some of which were bearing human remains (skulls, bones)... apparently, they have identified remains of five people. There are only two clues as to what is going on - the rafts are made of a type of bamboo native to Southeast Asia, and there was a weathered wallet on one raft belonging to a man from Indonesia. If the rafts did originate in islands belonging to Indonesia (where the man was from!) they would have drifted about 1500 miles -- apparently plausible, given ocean currents.

Police speculate that the people starved or died of thirst, but the trouble is that a number of the rafts were found with unconsumed food on board, and one had a potted banana plant with ample bananas still intact (not sure this addresses the water issue, however). Police also speculated the folks were fleeing fighting/religious violence - but there doesn't seem to be any contemporaneous reports of such in the area the one man was from.

According to the report, the rafts are spooking the local folk, especially as the first rafts started showing up around the time of the 9-11 attacks... not that there was any DIRECT connection, but they were seen as "ill omens".

As with many such reports, this one was maddeningly incomplete - no real discussion of the condition of the bodies (the reference to bones made it sound like skeletal remains were on the rafts), whether the bodies were intact (13 rafts, 5 people, and comments about the rafts bearing "bones and skulls" at least suggested the possibility that there were not 8 empty rafts), etc... so not sure if there is more or less here than first meets the eye. Still, it was odd, and kinda interesting, and had a nice X-Files/Fortean feel to it... so I thought I would pass it along...

;)

Shadow

This sounds a bit ritualistic to me.
I don't know the religions or practices of this area, but it sounds a bit like burial at sea (well, you know what I mean) and the inclusion of objects as in many religions throughout the ages.

It could simply be that a group of fishermen were caught in a storm and swept out to sea... sounds a bit like the "tornadoes (sp?) dropped these frogs on your street" explanation, but in this case I think it my be true (whatever that means).

It's interesting that many of the details in the NPR report don't appear in the original BBC story (assuming the link was the original source). A new UL in the making perhaps?

J.

But what killed them? And why did they bring a banana plant and then not eat any of it?

And if it is skeletal remains they have been out there for long.

Well, they could have died from exposure (sun stroke) and/or dehydration. The "plenty of food on board" idea is not present in the BBC report.

Another thought... why did the Micronesians call the FBI? And why the heck did they ask an archaeologist to examine the bodies? Surely a doctor would have been more qualified.

I smell a UL...

J.

I'm just trying to post onto the snopes forum to see if we can rout this wee monster... it does sound dubious - especially asking the FBI - I thought they only had authority within US territory...
goldarnit it takes for ever for them to approve your registration :(

anyone already a member wanna do it for me?

I think Invurie is a member. They brought in FBI? Does sound dubious, Interpol would be more like it.

Unfortunately, have not been able to check out the BBC site - I am presuming that is where the FBI reference comes from, as the NPR report did not mention the FBI. And, being sadly ignorant as to the legal status of Micronesia, have NO clue whether the FBI would be a possibility... :D

A coworker raised another interesting point - interesting to those of us who are agriculturally challenged, that is ... exactly how BIG is a "banana plant"? Is it credible to have one, bearing bananas, on a raft? As soon as she asked this, my brow furrowed... with my vast "Gilligan's Island"-fed knowledge of plant life (and based on a visit to the local food distribution depot, way back in elementary school), I seem to think that bananas grow on LARGE plants, in BIG BIG bunches. Not like, say, a tomato or pepper plant. Is a raft-borne banana "plant" credible?

Of course, that would, I guess, depend on the size of the raft, no? ;)

Be interested to see how this plays out...

Shadow

For what it is worth, CNN posted a story on this on 21 January, saying that Micronesia had requested USA-assitance in clearing up the mystery. Article summary (have not yet had chance to access article) mentioned "sun bleached skeletons, but wonder if this is not some juicily-gruesome hyperbole...;)

Shadow

My husband worked in Micronesia a couple of years ago. There is quite a strong US influence there and the US Dollar is used as the local currency, so I suppose calling in the FBI would not be all that unusual. And Micronesia is not too far away from Guam, which is just about another US state (When I was there 2 years ago I saw posters about a vote amongst the people to decide whether or not to join the Union - don't know if anything came of this, though).

As for the banana plant, they can grow quite large, but they're not tree-sized, if you know what I mean. It's doubtful whether a fully grown one would be feasible on a raft. I've seen potted-plant sized ones, though.

It's a mystery why those people died when there was unconsumed food aboard. Disease? Sunstroke? Suicide? Food is mentioned, but what about water, did they die of thirst? But if they just starved to death, despite the food, just think of the torment those poor people went through . . .

Carole

I posted to snopes and wait with baited breath to hear what they have to say :coughs:

I wonder whether theres a religious link here. Sounds vaguely cultish behavior to put to sea in rafts. I don't think the fisherman explanation is going to hold water, the indonesians have a variety of very sea-worthy small boats to fish from.

The banana plants I have seen were the size of palm trees. But it could be a little one. But even a bunch of bananas would fill a lot.

Could it be some promotional thing for Chiquita?

I've just posted the story onto the Snopes mb - look for it under NFBSK.

well I got a reasoned response from someone who'd unearthed some extra reports here
Link is dead. No archived version found. The link apparently led to a web forum or bulletin board at Snopes.

doesn't answer all the questions. It could just be sloppy reporting. the thing most intersting to FTers is the part about the local response. they felt that the rafts were an ill omen, as they came on the heels of 911.

And now that GWB seems to have set his sights on the Phillipines for the continuation of this absurd 'war on terrorism', who's to say they're wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that this story got a brief mention in the FT with the "satanic killer" cover story... but sadly, no additional details. There was a picture of one raft, however..

Has anyone heard anything additional on this? I admit.. acting a bit like a stubborn dog with a bone here, but my curiousity WAS piqued...

;)

Shadow

This mystery thread is worth a belated bump ... Here's a news article published online on 15 January 2002, but originally filed on 29 November 2001. It comes from the local (Micronesian) press.

MORE SKELETONS WASH ASHORE IN YAP​

Submitted by admin on Tue, 01/15/2002 - 00:00
By Jasmine J. Henry

YAP, Federated States of Micronesia (November 29, 2001 - The Kaselehlie Press)---For the second time in two months, a raft washed up on Yapese shores carrying human skeletons.

The first time occurred last month on one of the Eastern islets of the island of Ulithi in which a raft washed up on shore bearing two skulls.
This time a fiberglass cabin drifted onto Faraulep Atoll’s shore carrying three skeletons. Of the three skeletons, one is believe to be a child as the skull is smaller than the other two and a child’s shoe is still attached to its foot.

The National Police is conducting an investigation to determine whether the deaths were unnatural or natural.

When asked why people on a drifting raft would keep dead bodies on board, Captain Pius Choitulag replied, "We are currently searching the skeletons for holes and fractures to determine if there had been any foul play.

"We have asked the U.S. Embassy and Dr. Mauricio, who was involved with the discovery of the skeleton remains on Pakin, to help us find out the cause of death and the sex of each of the decedents," said Choitalug.

While the origin of the rafts is unknown, Choitulag is certain that the rafts did not originate anywhere in Yap. "The bamboos are too large. The ones that grow on the islands of Yap do not reach that size. Furthermore, there have been no missing persons reports filed on Yap."

When the residents of the traditional Yapese islets discovered the bodies, their chiefs felt that the remains deserved a decent burial and in the case of the two skulls on the Eastern islet of Ulithi, they buried the skulls out of respect.

According to Choitulag, there have been a total of 13 rafts, similar in design, including the latest two, that have drifted into the FSM.
SOURCE: http://www.pireport.org/articles/2002/01/15/more-skeletons-wash-ashore-yap

This 5 February 2002 news item describes the identification of one deceased raft occupant based on an ID card.
SKELETON IN YAP IDENTIFIED
Submitted by admin on Tue, 02/05/2002 - 00:00
By Jasmine J. Henry

PALIKIR, Pohnpei (January 24 - February 6, 2002 - The Kaselehlie Press)---Wilmart of Bitung, Indonesia was identified by a faded ID card, which was found in the pocket of his pants in a black wallet.

[See: Mysterious Rafts Carrying Human Skeletons Washing Up In Micronesia]

According to Chief Pius Chotailug of the FSM National Police Marine Surveillance, the language on the ID card was interpreted by Sipur of Danpei, an Indonesian married to Erihka Obed, a local.

Because two different sizes of men’s underwear were found, it is now believed by National Police that the remains that were found belong to two men.

One of the skulls had a small hole in the center of its forehead, just above and between the eyes.

According to Chief Chotailug, the hole is too small to be a bullet hole. "Besides, a bullet would have made a whole in the back of the head," said Chief Chotailug. This is not the case with this skull. "Perhaps a really thin spear was used. But it would have to be particularly thin," continued the Chief. "Most likely birds made the hole if they were trying to get to the brain."

Chief Chotailug says that the other three skeletons, which had washed ashore on the Eastern islets of Ulithi, will now be recovered for study. They had been buried by the village chief who, out of respect for the dead, had given the bones a decent burial.

Once the ID card revealed that Wilmart was from Indonesia, a note was sent to the FSM Department of Foreign Affairs requesting that a diplomatic message be sent to the government of Indonesia asking them to confirm whether or not such a person is missing from Bitung or with businesses connected to Bitung.

By coincidence, Ambassador Soenadi Brotodinigrat is schedules to arrive on Pohnpei on Sunday evening’s midnight flight for his final ambassadorial trip to the FSM. Chief Chotailug is pleased with having the opportunity to alerting the Ambassador about the news.

"The identification card does not identify where the rafts originated from," said Chief Chotailug. "It only identifies where one of the skeletons came from."

Should anyone see any more rafts washing ashore or floating in FSM waters, please notify the State Police of the National Police.
SOURCE: http://www.pireport.org/articles/2002/02/05/skeleton-yap-identified

This 11 February 2002 news article provides some more tidbits about the bodies, their disposition, and the state of the investigation.
BONES WASHED UP IN YAP REMAIN A MYSTERY
Submitted by admin on Mon, 02/11/2002 - 00:00
By Scott Radway

HAGÃTÃA, Guam (February 10, 2002 - Pacific Sunday News)---Two unearthed human skeletons, three still buried. A faded identification card. A call to the Indonesian embassy in Tokyo.

That's nearly all Pius Chotailug, the police chief of the Federated States of Micronesia, has to go on in the mystery that brought bamboo rafts carrying sun-bleached skeletons to his islands.

More than four months after the 13 rafts -- two carrying bones -- started washing ashore in the FSM, there remains very little to go on, Chotailug said.

A big hindrance to his investigation is the fact that local villagers in the western state of Yap, out of respect, buried the skeletons when the boats hit the shores of their remote islands.

"It's hard to piece it together, because most of the evidence was destroyed by the islanders," Chotailug said. "We have somewhat sketchy information at the moment."

And only two skeletons have been dug up. The other three skeletons -- one of a child -- remain in the ground, because police investigators have been unable to travel to the remote island where they are buried, Chotailug said.

The best lead is a water-damaged identification card found in a wallet along with the two skeletons. Still legible was a name "Wilmart," his occupation "laborer," and most importantly his address, "Bitung," which is on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi.

That's why Chotailug called the Indonesian embassy in Tokyo. He wants someone there to find out who "Wilmart" was and if he could have floated more than 1,000 miles to Yap on a bamboo raft.

Pacific Daily News calls to the Indonesian embassy in Tokyo were not returned last week.

Chotailug said the police department is also studying the ocean currents to see if the rafts could have been pulled past the Philippines and out into the FSM. The rafts were built of giant bamboo, which does not grow in the FSM, he added.

Although the police force is not equipped for detailed forensic investigation, Chotailug said, a local archeologist who examined the bones determined the individuals were dead for two to three months.

And there was a small hole in one of the skulls, but, Chotailug said, it does not appear to be from a gunshot.

"There is no fragment and the hole is so small," Chotailug said, adding that it could have been made by a bird.

The deaths "don't look like foul play, but I may be wrong," Chotailug said.

If he had to offer a theory, the police chief said, he believes the rafts were manned by fisherman who were dragged out to sea. There were feathers in the wallet, which are at times used for fishing lures, he added.

Or then again, Chotailug said, maybe there is more to it. Maybe there is a connection between the rafts and a headless body that washed ashore on an island in southern Yap State two years ago, he said.

That file remains open.

"Right now, we are just waiting for help from our neighbors," Chotailug said, in Indonesia. ...
SOURCE: http://www.pireport.org/articles/2002/02/11/bones-washed-yap-remain-mystery

An article in a 2021 Pacific fisheries newsletter may provide a clue to the mystery rafts' origins. Tuna comprise a major species targeted for fishing in the western Pacific. Tuna like to congregate beneath floating objects. Large rafts began to be used in the 1990s as 'fish aggregating devices'. Maybe the mystery rafts were originally anchored or drifting such devices that were carried away by currents or storms with fisher-folk aboard.
A novel approach to quantifying drifting fish aggregating device use in the Pacific

The western and central Pacific Ocean (WCPO) provides 52% of the world’s five million tonnes of tropical tuna catch (Williams and Ruaia 2021). While stocks of the four main tuna species – skipjack, yellowfin, bigeye and albacore – are currently assessed as being fished sustainably, the industry is worth six billion dollars and is crucial for many Pacific Is- land nation economies, providing up to 84% of government revenue via fisheries access fees (Bell et al. 2021).

One of the main WCPO tuna fisheries is the purse-seine fishery, which relies on drifting fish aggregating devices (dFADs) for about 40% of the catch. Anchored FADs have long been used by artisanal and industrial fishers be- cause many fish species such as tunas have a natural ten- dency to gather under and around floating objects. In the open ocean, purse-seine vessels have also used terrestrial debris and logs to locate tuna schools for many decades. Since the 1990s, however, bamboo rafts have been specifically designed and built by fishers to aggregate tuna schools, mostly skipjack tuna. Nowadays, modern dFADs are equipped with satellite buoys and sonar technology, which allow fishers to track dFADs and estimate the quantity of tuna beneath them ...
SOURCE: https://spccfpstore1.blob.core.wind...files/87/87cd070d124c515712ea992388448719.pdf

Back