• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Migraines As Trance Phenomena

paigetheoracle

Junior Acolyte
Suffering from migraines as I have done for the last twenty years, I occassionally get insights into the condition - one of which is that it seems to be centred on pressure changes (weather, alcohol as relaxant, food as sedative, sex as a draining agent and also menstruation in women - at menopause the former stops and so do the attacks usually: I personally believe the reason you get attacks overnight is not to do with hunger [the official line] but because you are at your most relaxed state at this moment in time). I saw a program on mountain sickness and recognized that its symptoms were created by the same situation as are the Bends in deep sea diving and thought that hyperbaric chambers and 'Gamow Bags' (portable decompression chambers) should help migraines: A report in a medical journal confirmed this as a migraineur had been treated using this method (Blackwell medical journal as mentioned in email by Medical Research Council).

Anyway this relates to my next observation, which came recently and that is about trance-dance. Native peoples all over the world (principally Africa) use dancing and exhaustion resulting from it, to create dance states. What I realized is that the increase of migraines in the western world is caused by the same thing - long hours, hard mental work. The results are the same in that both conditions lead to a delirious state, usually accompanied by nausea, vomiting and dizziness. I don't think it's a coincidence and totally unrelated, and I hope my groundwork here is strong enough to convince others and to spark off similar insights in others or even new and even more strange ones (I'm psychic but this is about general principles, not individual visions which science can and usually does refute).

Interesting.
I occasionally get visual-only migraines and the only triggering factor I have been able to identify is that they frequently come during the period of relaxation after a period of intense concentration or effort.

So working to a deadline, achieving the goal and then sitting back in my chair going 'phew, done it', or walking up a bloody big hill with my teeth gritted and getting to the top and going 'phew, done it' are both likely triggers.
I also know that I get far fewer attacks when I am on anti-depressant (ssri) medication - possibly this prevents me from pushing my concentration as far?

So for me it is not so much about relaxation or stress as relaxation after stress. This would possibly tie in with shamanic dancing etc ..... However my migraines are a visual phenomenon only (although I feel a bit 'rough' after the aura has passed I have never had a headache or nausea) and therefore probably not typical. I have never noticed any correlation with the commonly stated food triggers - red wine, chocolate - or with hunger, lack of sleep etc etc

Back