• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Militant Agnosticism

The godsquad would probably associate Loki with Lucifer (they would be kinda right). I always liked the Loki of the Marvel Comics , Mighty Thor.

Why tell the godbotherers that you worship Loki, Thor, Odin etc? I reckon they get more worried by "pagans" than by agnostics/atheists.

I doubt it Ramon. They probably give you a little bit more respect because you have a belief in something.

ramonmercado said:
The godsquad would probably associate Loki with Lucifer (they would be kinda right). I always liked the Loki of the Marvel Comics , Mighty Thor.

Why tell the godbotherers that you worship Loki, Thor, Odin etc? I reckon they get more worried by "pagans" than by agnostics/atheists.

Heh heh, last time they came, just before Christmas, I said to 'em 'Why can't you bloody Christians leave our Pagan festival alone?'......and I'm not even a Pagan. :) I went on to say how I thought it was disgusting how they could take over a religion, replacing it's most important dates with their own festivals and persicuting Pagans for hundreds of years afterwards.
They were speechless, apart from one who actualy apologised. :shock:

ghostdog19 said:
Christians have their Ichthys, you also have the Darwin fish for them clever lot... it's about time there was a symbol more fitting the agnostic, and I think I've found it....

Look at him, he can't get enough of that creosote.
Hehe, thats great! You will have to start your own movement now before someone else does and uses that icon! :D

min_bannister said:
You don't see the benfit in everyone having a holiday at the same time then?

Oh I'm all for that, I just like winding religious people up, especialy christians who tend to see themselves as moraly above non christians but don't like to mention all the persicution, even towards different factions of their own religion, over hundreds and hundreds of years.

My favourite wind up is to ask them what happened to all the gold. When they ask 'What gold?' I say 'Y'know...gold, frankincense, myrrh?....Jesus was supposed to be a poor man wasn't he, so what happened to the gold? Infact...come to think of it, Joseph isn't really mentioned much after that bit...d'yer think he buggered of with the gold because someone else had got his wife pregnant? And that's another thing, if God made Mary pregnant, does that mean they are both guilty of adultry?'

I've never been given any explanation whatsoever for any of these questions by anyone who's knocked on my door with a big daft grin on their face and said 'Hi, can we talk about God?' ;)

QuaziWashboard said:
min_bannister said:

Oh I'm all for that, I just like winding religious people up, especialy christians who tend to see themselves as moraly above non christians but don't like to mention all the persicution, even towards different factions of their own religion, over hundreds and hundreds of years.

My favourite wind up is to ask them what happened to all the gold. When they ask 'What gold?' I say 'Y'know...gold, frankincense, myrrh?....Jesus was supposed to be a poor man wasn't he, so what happened to the gold? Infact...come to think of it, Joseph isn't really mentioned much after that bit...d'yer think he buggered of with the gold because someone else had got his wife pregnant? And that's another thing, if God made Mary pregnant, does that mean they are both guilty of adultry?'

I've never been given any explanation whatsoever for any of these questions by anyone who's knocked on my door with a big daft grin on their face and said 'Hi, can we talk about God?' ;)
Then I'd get my facts straight if I were you.

rjmrjmrjm said:
I doubt it Ramon. They probably give you a little bit more respect because you have a belief in something.

Dunno, the type who go door to door often are incapable of differentiating between the the Old Religions and Satanism. In particular, many evangelist and fundamentalist Christians see Wicca as devil worship.

ghostdog19 said:
QuaziWashboard said:

I dont remember that much of Joseph, I think he was departed at the time of the crucifixon but he was certainly around later. Remember when Jesus gor lost and they found him in the Temple discussing theology with the sages? I reckon Joseph used the gold to set up his carpentry business. "Joseph will always give you a good deal."

ramonmercado said:
I dont remember that much of Joseph, I think he was departed at the time of the crucifixon but he was certainly around later. Remember when Jesus gor lost and they found him in the Temple discussing theology with the sages? I reckon Joseph used the gold to set up his carpentry business. "Joseph will always give you a good deal."
I like that one.

You know, there's another one, quite interesting, where it's reckoned it may have been medicinal rather than metal gold.

ghostdog19 said:
You know, there's another one, quite interesting, where it's reckoned it may have been medicinal rather than metal gold.

Colloidal gold ?

crunchy5 said:
ghostdog19 said:

Colloidal gold ?

http://www.goldbulletin.org/downloads/Fricker_2_29.pdf.
Gold has been exploited for its putative medical properties throughout the history ofcivilisation (1,2).
The earliest medical use of gold can be traced back to the Chinese in 2500 BC. In medieval Europe alchemists had numerous recipes for an elixir known as aurum potabile, many of which contained little gold!
A gold cordial could be found in the new pharmacopoeias of the 17th century and was advocated by Nicholas Culpepper for the treatment of ailments caused by a decrease in the vital spirits, such as melancholy, fainting, fevers, and falling sickness.
Later in the 19th century a mixture of gold chloride and sodium chloride, 'muriate of gold and soda,'Na[AuCI4J was used to treat syphilis.

QuaziWashboard said:

Never happened to me (touch wood) but I guess that must be pretty annoying..

ramonmercado said:

You might not be too far off. The amount of gold was never specified and it doesn't seem like a bad idea to give a bit of money to a poor kid who was born in a stable. I suspect Joseph spent most of his time carpenting away which probably supported his family pretty well but doesn't make for a very exciting book. ;)

ghostdog19 said:
http://www.goldbulletin.org/downloads/Fricker_2_29.pdf.
Gold has been exploited for its putative medical properties throughout the history ofcivilisation (1,2).
The earliest medical use of gold can be traced back to the Chinese in 2500 BC.

Or Monatomic white powder gold.

http://whitepowdergold.com/

This precious powder has been lost to mankind for thousands of years. It has been called many things through the ages. It has been called the Fruit of the Tree of Life, and Star fire-Gold of the Gods. More recently, it has received wide notice as the Philosopher`s Stone. It is the crown jewel of Western legend , the stuff of literature. We have linked to Star fire at the bottom of this page. In it Laurence Gardner explains that the white powder of gold has been known to the initiated few for millennia. Now , you can experience the forbidden fruit for yourself. Additional links on the navigation menu lead to reference information and other related topics. Monoatomic? Maybe. A superconductor? We hope to know soon. Is it real? Absolutely!

The ancients believed this substance would facilitate extraordinary life-spans, and cure many diseases by allowing the body to operate as close to perfection as possible. We would say today that it would vastly increase the ability of each cell to conduct electrical impulses, almost like a high performance re-wiring job for the entire body.

Our White Powder Gold has been tested by the Department of Materials Characterization at a prominent English University, and Sir Laurence Gardner deserves all the credit we can give him for his generosity. He is not only an author and historian without equal, he is a fine gentleman.

QuaziWashboard wrote:
min_bannister wrote:

I've never been given any explanation whatsoever for any of these questions by anyone who's knocked on my door with a big daft grin on their face and said 'Hi, can we talk about God?'

Where I live we often get people knocking on doors or stopping you in the street to tell you what they think you should think. (Ive noticed this a lot while being out of work) They dont have their facts straight, if anything what they have to say is largly based on faith not fact. Athiests or non belivers often have to get their facts straight when criticising religion but this never seems to work the other way around. When asked why this is religious belivers I know ignore it.[/code]

Why is it silly? If people invade your personal space to try to convert you to their faith they should be prepared to answer any questions you may have and they often cant. I cant answer all the questions concerning my own belief but then I would never try to force it on someone anyway and am quite happy to admit I dont have all the answers.

I don’t wind these people up myself but I do have some sympathy with QuaiWashboard. They seem to think that their opinions are more valid than anyone else’s simply because they believe it to be so.

ghostdog19 said:
QuaziWashboard said:
min_bannister said:

No...you miss the point, this was a jokey post about me being silly with people who are daft enough to knock on my door wanting to talk about God. The line I mention is used purely as a comedic piss take and not ment to be taken seriously, (try thinking along the same sorta lines as Monty Python's Life of Brian when you read it) which for some reason tends to go straight over the heads of the religious door knockers who just don't seem to have a sense of humour, (hey ghostdog, it just occured to me, you're not a doorknockin' preacher are you? ;) ) which suits me fine because I just like to see the look on their faces..... but in answer, surely it'd be better if the people knocking on my door knew what they were talking about then they could correct me, which I'm sure you're going to get around to doing eventualy :roll:

QuaziWashboard said:
No...you miss the point, this was a jokey post about me being silly with people
I got that bit.
QuaziWashboard said:
(hey ghostdog, it just occured to me, you're not a doorknockin' preacher are you? ;) )
Saw that coming. ha. No, I study it, I don't practice it. But although I do not practice something, it does not mean I am devoid of any respect or understanding for others beliefs, regardless of whether they share any respect or understanding for my own.
QuaziWashboard said:
I just like to see the look on their faces
You get pleasure from it?
QuaziWashboard said:
but in answer, surely it'd be better if the people knocking on my door knew what they were talking about then they could correct me
My point exactly. Always helps if people know what they're talking about. Better also if they've come to such conclusions themselves.
QuaziWashboard said:
which I'm sure you're going to get around to doing eventualy :roll:
well, if you've drawn that conclusion, then I don't need to.

Bistoinferno said:
Why is it silly? If people invade your personal space to try to convert you to their faith they should be prepared to answer any questions you may have and they often cant. I cant answer all the questions concerning my own belief but then I would never try to force it on someone anyway and am quite happy to admit I dont have all the answers.

I don’t wind these people up myself but I do have some sympathy with QuaiWashboard. They seem to think that their opinions are more valid than anyone else’s simply because they believe it to be so.

Cheers bud! ;)
I'm in complete agreement with you about religious people thinking their opinions are more valid than anyone elses, that's how religious persicutions like the Spanish Inquisition and religious wars like the Crusades comes about. Hell...even in our modern day world people come to blows and even kill each other over it, just look at Northern Ireland. History shows us that it can be a very dangerous thing indeed.
As for the door to door goons, tell 'em you're an agnostic or an atheist and they instantly look at you like you're something they just found on the bottom of their shoe, but tell 'em that you're from a different religion to their own and they either act like you're the anti-christ or try to convert you.
The thing is, all these different religions...they can't ALL be right can they? I personaly think that if you're going to be religious, then your time would be better spent attempting to find out the truth for yourself rather than cramming the beliefs of the religious collection that you belong to down other people's throats.
But I must implore you NOT to sympathise with me,... annoying the GDD (Godsquad Doorstep Division) has become a very enjoyable hobby to me and I wait with baited breath for my next victim. :lol:

ghostdog19 said:
[

Nowt wrong with that, religious door knockers are worse than telesales callers, I gave up on humour or piss taking questions ages ago they either get a quick "not interested" or just the door closed in their face. They are after all bothersome individuals and not worthy of respect.

Bistoinferno said:
Why is it silly?
Hopefully, QuaziWashboard has answered that question for you now, since we're not at any disagreement here. It is silly.

QuaziWashboard said:
As for the door to door goons, tell 'em you're an agnostic or an atheist and they instantly look at you like you're something they just found on the bottom of their shoe, but tell 'em that you're from a different religion to their own and they either act like you're the anti-christ or try to convert you.
tell them you're a witness then.

crunchy5 said:
Nowt wrong with that, religious door knockers are worse than telesales callers, I gave up on humour or piss taking questions ages ago they either get a quick "not interested" or just the door closed in their face. They are after all bothersome individuals and not worthy of respect.
I have found that "thank you but no thank you" has always worked for me, and then closing the door. Besides which, personally speaking, I've not actually had anyone knock at my door with that sort of sales interest in mind for four or five years now (since we moved). We have Christian Aid, and certain christian charities collecting clothes and the like drop leaflets through, but not anyone knocking at the door trying to convert me (tell a lie; someone with a watchtower magazine showed up last year, but a polite 'thanks but no thanks' saw them off)

So I wonder if your post code is more 'damned' than any other?

ghostdog19 said:
QuaziWashboard said:

So you suggest I lie to them? And there's you talking about respect too. For shame. ;)

ghostdog19 said:
QuaziWashboard said:
ghostdog19 said:
Well whadda you think Sherlock? :roll:
I don't know, which is why I ask.

Let's just say that I get a similar pleasure from it to the one you get by coming on here and arguing with others.....or you could just read the earlier post where I described it as an 'enjoyable hobby.'

QuaziWashboard said:
ghostdog19 said:
QuaziWashboard said:

So you suggest I lie to them? And there's you talking about respect too. For shame. ;)
I said I have respect. Nobody said you had any.

I suppose from the outset if your belief is what you belief to be correct rather than what someone else knows to be wrong, then it isn't a lie as such. So I suppose you're right in a funny sort of way.

Back