• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Millennium: The TV Program

A

Anonymous

I was digging around my dusty old home VHS collection and discovered I'd taped many more episodes of this underrated late 90s weird dark drama series than I remembered. The show holds up pretty well and some eps, like The Owls and The Hand of St. Sebastian are more Fortean than much of its sister show The X Files. Wondered if anyone else remembered it, ran in America from fall 1996 - spring 1999.

Was that the one with Lance Henriksen in it- or am I suffering from False Memory Syndrome?

Quixote said:
Was that the one with Lance Henriksen in it- or am I suffering from False Memory Syndrome?

That's the one....I liked the series but it got pretty spotty scheduling and I kept missings chunks, they finally tied it up with an X-files crossover.

Millennium

They kept changing the premises of the show. In S1 Frank Black was a former FBI profiler who moves to Seattle with his family to get away from " the darkness." He possessed a non-psychic empathic faculty that enabled him to see events as whatever godawful serial killer he was hunting that week saw them. In S2, things got stranger. The Millennium Group, the crime consulting firm he worked with turned out to be a centuries old underground movement divided by a schism between the secularist Owls, believers in a scientific apocalypse and the end-is-near Roosters who expected a theological event at millennium's end.
Apparently there's no DVD set, a damn shame if you ask me. Lance Henrikson said in an interview that he wanted to bring the show to a proper resolution, even if it meant wresting the rights to his character from the tight fists of Chris Carter or News Corps. or whoever owns them.

I utterly HATED that show, I watched it out of loyalty to Chris Carter and quit three episodes in, life's depressing enough thank you Mr C!
Although I did catch one ep that [my hero] Darin Morgan wrote/directed with 4 demons sitting in a coffee shop reminising on their explots - now that was damn funny!

LobeliaOverhill said:
I utterly HATED that show, I watched it out of loyalty to Chris Carter and quit three episodes in, life's depressing enough thank you Mr C!
Although I did catch one ep that [my hero] Darin Morgan wrote/directed with 4 demons sitting in a coffee shop reminising on their explots - now that was damn funny!
That's the one I came closest to sitting all the way through.

A bit too gloomy, nonetheless. :(

I quite liked it but I just kept missing it. My Dad's rather fond of it which, if you knew my Dad you would agree, is a fortean phenominon in it's own right.

Cujo

I thought the first series was a bit patchy, 2nd was good but the 3rd and final series was brilliant and was on par with the X Files. Sunday nights were great brand new X Files followed by brand new Millenium :D

While it was gloomy (altho' honestly I suspect that maybe two-thirds of the perceived gloom was the theme tune and the titles), and spottily-scheduled on terrestrial UK TV, my own opinion of it was that it -what I saw of it- was actually better-written than the X-Files. (But I don't have a high opinion of the writing on the X-Files: 'Monster-of-the-Week' for S1 -which was actually OK- and then 'Monster-of-the-Week-With-Delusions-of-Grandeur' from S2 onwards, IMO.)

Yep I saw it too and really enjoyed it (occasionally Sky One do a rerun late at night sometimes) - I didn't mind the gloom but what annoyed me was the plot device revolving around Frank Black's psychic abilities. They'd set up an interesting and convoluted story and then he'd plod in and solve it all by seeing everything from the eyes of the killer (or some such) - it rather spoilt the 'how are they going to solve this??' kind of questions.

Links:

http://www.fourthhorseman.com/Abyss/Intro.htm

http://www.victoria.tc.ca/~wp623/frames.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/4087/mm.html

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/1582/

http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/8451/frankblack.html

http://www.web-magic.demon.co.uk/millenniumshow.htm

------------
Oh and the demon episode was the best I saw ;)

This episode guide:

http://harrison.neonexus.com/EpisodeGuides/Millennium.htm

reveals it was called "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me" - not too much available online other than:

Four demons who have taken human form tell stories to each other. One recounts how he drove a "Network Executive" insane, driving him to kill actors portraying two FBI agents (one a tall, dark man and the other a short red-headed woman, hmmm). Yep, you guessed it, this episode features jokes about Ally McBeal, The X-Files (Darin Morgan wrote the episode) and When Animals Attack.

http://www.scifiworld.co.uk/milgu.html

Emps

I was digging around my dusty old home VHS collection and discovered I'd taped many more episodes of this underrated late 90s weird dark drama series than I remembered. The show holds up pretty well and some eps, like The Owls and The Hand of St. Sebastian are more Fortean than much of its sister show The X Files. Wondered if anyone else remembered it, ran in America from fall 1996 - spring 1999.
I certainly remember it. I always enjoyed the X-Files, and when I heard about this show, I did watch a few episodes when they were on UK TV back in the late 90s (as I type this, I realise that the post I'm quoting is from a date much nearer to the time of the show's first showing than it is to today!). I didn't see many episodes, though, so when I was browsing in my local Cex store a couple of years back and saw all three seasons for sale on DVD for about £4 each, I snapped them up, with a view to catching up with the series ASAP.

Well, fast-forward a couple of years to 2020, and I still hadn't got around to watching any of the discs. But as luck would have it, events in March this year suddenly meant that I had a lot of time on my hands, so I persuaded my other half that we might watch a couple of episodes of an evening, 2 or 3 times a week, and maybe we'd get through most of the first season before I was called back into work. A couple of months and 67 episodes later, we found that we'd watched the entire 3 seasons!
Was that the one with Lance Henriksen in it - or am I suffering from False Memory Syndrome?
Exactly so, and although the acting is pretty good from all concerned, he holds the show together pretty much on his own.
I liked the series but it got pretty spotty scheduling and I kept missing chunks, they finally tied it up with an X-files crossover.
That scheduling would probably explain why I only managed to catch a few of the stories, which I now know were all from season 1.
They kept changing the premises of the show.
In S1 Frank Black was a former FBI profiler who moves to Seattle with his family to get away from "the darkness." He possessed a non-psychic empathic faculty that enabled him to see events as whatever godawful serial killer he was hunting that week saw them.
In S2, things got stranger. The Millennium Group, the crime consulting firm he worked with turned out to be a centuries old underground movement divided by a schism between the secularist Owls, believers in a scientific apocalypse and the end-is-near Roosters who expected a theological event at millennium's end.
And in season 3, he was back in the FBI, having come to be extremely suspicious of the the motives and methods of the Millennium Group. His former friend and ally, Peter Watts, has become something of a nemesis, although they reach some sort of rapprochement late in the series.
Apparently there's no DVD set, a damn shame if you ask me. Lance Henriksen said in an interview that he wanted to bring the show to a proper resolution, even if it meant wresting the rights to his character from the tight fists of Chris Carter or News Corps. or whoever owns them.
A proper resolution would have been good, of course. I suspect that Chris Carter would have tried to tell the tale over at least another couple of seasons, but the series was cancelled after season 3, so the X-Files crossover story (mentioned above by Timble) was the only way to attempt to tie things up. It worked up to a point - even to the point of being set around New Year's Eve 1999 - but we still never found out much about the who and the why of the Group themselves, and didn't get to learn whether Frank Black's daughter's powers would become a significant factor.
Although I did catch one ep that [my hero] Darin Morgan wrote/directed with 4 demons sitting in a coffee shop reminiscing on their exploits - now that was damn funny!
Never mind, it's not for everyone! I thoroughly enjoyed (I think that's the right word for such a determinedly downbeat show!) the whole series, and was left wanting more. There were only 2 or 3 complete duds in over 60+ episodes, IMO. Season 3 was becoming a lot like the X-Files, though, so I can see why the schedulers might have thought they didn't need both programmes. But yes - the "4 demons" episode (Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me) was up there with the very best, and very funny to boot, which you couldn't say about many of the episodes.

I'd be interested in the opinions of anyone else who has re-visited this show recently, especially in the last 10 years! Maybe you've watched some or all of it in lockdown? Meanwhile, we've re-started watching the X-Files from season 1. Hopefully I won't get to the end of that one before I'm back at work...

Last edited:
It might be heresy to say, but I much preferred Millennium to the X-Files.

Whilst I have box sets for both, it's Frank Black that I keep returning to, though perhaps that might be to do with the diminishing returns of the X-Files, rather sullying the quality of the earlier series, plus I was never keen on the alien story lines, which Millennium avoided, replacing them with occult religious ones.

Even the much maligned season 3 (Henriksen was apparently not a fan of the ending of season 2, or much of season 3), had some interesting episodes and themes.
I did always wonder whether they might revisit it at some point, with both Chris Carter and Lance Henriksen saying they'd like to, but too much time has since passed, and Henriksen isn't exactly a spring chicken.

It was a great show that should have ended at its third season. It beat the dead horse for seasons 4 and 5. Much better to end on the cosmicist 3rd season last episode with the virus hitting and everything coming unstuck. Say... Wait a minute...

So, not many memories of this show between you, but nice to hear another couple of views, although, AlchoPwn, I suspect your tongue might be slightly in your cheek...

A couple of the episodes that have stuck in my memory are ones which made very strong use of music. For example, thanks to Season 2's "Goodbye, Charlie", I'll never be able to listen to Terry Jacks' "Seasons in the Sun" in the same way. In that episode, Tucker Smallwood plays a very charismatic man who may be an angel of mercy, helping terminally ill people to a peaceful death, or he may be a deranged murderer. We're never entirely sure. Anyway, Mr Smallwood's character gives his own memorable renditions of this song:

I came across this nice retrospective of Millennium the other day, on tor.com. It gives a good overview of what the series was, and what it might have been (click headline to follow link):

Millennium: An Essential Guide to One of TV’s Most Fascinating Shows
Gemma Files and Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:00am

“Who cares?”

This simple question, asked in the last title card of Millennium’s opening credits, challenges its characters as much as it does us viewers. Since its premiere, Millennium (1996-1999), a series created by Chris Carter of The X-Files fame, made it clear that it would be wrestling with the theme of evil in a way never before seen on network television. Edmund Burke’s famous line, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,” is just one of many responses to darkness illustrated by the series’ fascinating exploration of serial killers, eschatology, and millennialism of all stripes, writ large against a cosmically mysterious, often profoundly unsettling universe.

But even in episodes in which the truth falls prey to courts of public opinion, ends-vs-means justifications and equivocations, or conspiratorial misdirection, the one persistent stalwart—the one person who always cares—is the show’s gravelly-voiced moral anchor and cross-seasonal protagonist, Frank Black (Lance Henriksen).

Back