• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mind-Reading Squirrels

A

Anonymous

My mother always told me not to feed wild animals.

I started a job at a place with abundant secure parking here in Toronto which is located near a park.

The weather has been great since I started there a few weeks ago so being a high security area, I would always leave my windows open a bit to keep the car cool.

Yesterday was a great day weather wise here in Toronto so after a few hours I stepped outside to get a breath of fresh air and noticed many black squirrels wandering in the parking lot. I thought it was strange, perhaps a coincidence that there was so many in one spot at most but I tossed a few of the potato chips I was eating at one fortunate fella. He took the gift and ran off persued by a few of his friends.

I didn't think anything of it but went back to work.

A few hours later one of my coworkers came in and said I should go and check my car in the parking lot. I went out and there were at least 10 squirrels in my car! Why were they in my car? Were they looking for food? How did the one squirrel pick my car outta all the others and pass on to his friends that this car is "a food giver's" or whatever squirrels call us:)

I opened the door and chased them away, black fur flying everywhere (and I didn't know squirrels hissed when scared). I rolled up all my windows and went back to work.

Sure enough later an annoncment over the buildings PA system asked for the owner of a black Honda Civic with my plates to report to security. I showed up and the guard told me that there were squirrels in my car. At first I thought this may have been from earlier but I went out to check and sure enough there were 5 squirrels in my car! Either they were in there earlier or somehow got in after I locked my doors and rolled up my windows.

This time however they caused damage when trying to get out and my insurance company laughed when I called them.. (I am covered but the deductable is 300.00).

There is too many strange things happening here. How was my car picked out? Why was it the only one? (This never happened before I checked with others). Do squirrels have enough memory to remember me getting out of the car at some point, then assosiating me with food and the car, etc.?

I'm baffled :)

rofl, great story!

I wouldn't have liked to tell the insurance company about it ;)

Hmmmm, perhaps this is a case for the bilocating squirrel detectives :D

It's a nice idea that sqirrels read minds, but I think that it is more likely that they were operating off your scent.

As for them getting into a locked car, let's remember that sqirrels like rats are rodents and can get into all sorts of places. In my Ford Puma there's a great big 'hole' where the driver's pedals go to the engine, if the Honda Civic has any kind of similar 'hole', no matter how small, then I'm sure that the squirrels could squeeze through it.

Black squirrels, never seen one of them, we only have red and grey ones.......thats red ones and grey ones.:confused:

I thought squirrels came second only to elephants for memory - they have to remember where they bury all their nuts.

(Make up your own jokes.)

I had a situation, where one morning, I found a feral cat in the car.

The car had been shut in a garage overnight & had been locked!!!

It still puzzles me:hmph:

Incidentally, we do have some black squirrels in England, over at Letchworth in Hertfordshire, (where a local pub is are called "The Black Squirrel" . The "blacks" are apparently a mutation from the grey squirrels.

if youve been leaving the windows open and they've smelt the food in the car they could have been in and out of the car for days or weeks depending on when you started leaving the windows open and pinching thing's like bits of food and sweets and the like, and it could be your just noticing whats been happening

casio

More weird squirrel behaviour:

The place where I work is in a large mansion on a country estate, so it's in the middle of an area with lots of wildlife.
Last Friday, as I drove down the driveway, I spotted a squirrel by the side of the road, standing on the grass verge.
What struck me as unusual was that it was standing bolt upright on its hind legs, watching me.
As my car drew level with the squirrel, he suddenly dashed at the car, as if he was trying to attack the rear wheel. I slowed down, and thankfully didn't hit him.
Another thing that was strange: the squirrel was a dark grey except for its underbelly, which was a reddish colour. A rare crossbreed? Red squirrels are rare in this country...

Looks as if you're the first victim of a visitation by Squirrels In Black (makes a change from Men In Black):p

Carole

carole said:
Looks as if you're the first victim of a visitation by Squirrels In Black (makes a change from Men In Black):p

Carole
I have a lady friend who likes to dress in black, but she's a fox.:blah:

is there any reason the red and grey squirrels calnt interbread?

Not sure about UK squirrels but in N. America the blacks and greys are colour variants of the same species, while the reds are a different species and can't breed with the blacks/greys.

Followup

Friday I took my car to the dealer for an appraisal of the damage. The squirrels chewed the trim on both doors right down to metal as well as the window rubber trim. Photos were taken etc and the estimate was 1500.00 at least!!

Today was my first day back to work after the holiday weekend. As I got in my car to go home I noticed claw and teeth marks on the OUTSIDE of the car that were not there this morning. I had parked my car in full view of a security camera that I can view from my office and didn't see any squirrels sneak up. This was on the opposite side out of view of the camera.. sneaky devils.

I am the only person having problems with squirrels in the building. But I was thinking:
- Maybe someone has sprayed some kind of attractant for some reason on my car as a prank?
- Could it be that Honda Civics have some kind of odour through a production process that is applied that attracts squirrels? (hey, I'm guessing for the sake of discussion)
- maybe because my car is the only shiny black one in the lot this has some kind of bonding for the squirrels?(a big god-like squirrel for them)
- did I run over a female squirrel and thereby "coat" my car with pheromones? (sorry for the squeemish)
- or am I located near the equivilent to a "squirrel loonybin"?

Who knows but I will have to find a way to keep them away :) Any Ideas?

Have your car fully valeted and waxed, and remove anything from inside it that may be edible or have a strong smell. That should change its smell, and make it less attractive.
Also, you could put a tarpaulin over it, to protect it. After a while, they'll forget your car and go elsewhere.

Alternatively, when you next leave your car take cover a little distance away and take aim with your flame-thrower...

What do you mean "you haven't got a flamethrower"?
Get a flamethrower!

AZ

Would you believe it - Suicide Squirrel attacked *again* this morning!
The darned thing dived for my car's front wheels this time. I had to slam on my brakes, hard. Just missed the little feller.

This is a strange trend...I've seen birds do this as well. Are animals becoming suicidal?

I like the flamethrower idea :)

Or perhaps a squad of armed domestic rats on guard duty.

I have a lovely vision of all these little rats with security guard uniforms (including peaked caps), talking to each other on walky-talkies!

Carole;)

p.younger said:
Black squirrels, never seen one of them, we only have red and grey ones.......thats red ones and grey ones.:confused:

when i whent to toronto last centuary (i sound fossilised :eek: )
0k then winter 1997

i saw loads of around the uni? not younge st the other main street going to the huge natural? museum.

gerry d / naitaka should know where i mean?

ps i really enjoyed my self there and i got hooked on bagels in "java joes" just off elizabeth st?
i would recomend canada to everyone (@ least 6*'s):)

ooooh, those black squirrels are evil!!! I had one that took over the backyard. He destroyed the BBQ and tore up my garden. I'd wake up in the morning to him staring in the window and scratching himself rudely!

Kamikaze Squirrel

Mythopoeika

Do you think that its might be getting you to do its hard work for him? I've read about birds leaving nuts on roads so cars will break them open and they can eat them - perhaps the squirrels are doing the same?

What d'you reckon?

:)

I agree - squirrels are evil!

My mum has a big old century home and no matter what she tries, the squirrels keep gettin in. You can sit there and hear them running around in the walls. Who knows what kind of damage they are doing.... the exterminator keeps catching them in traps, and her cat has managed to kill a few that have escaped the walls, but it is just so nasty!

I hate squirrels, but not nearly as much as she does!!!

The way to get rid of squirrels, is the same way to get rid of cats. Just sit there with a large water pistol, everytime time you see one- squirt-. They learn eventually.

Back