• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Totally weird, I had the same problem with my car keys.. I always put them in a zip up pocket to stop them falling out, they turned up in a pocket behind the zipped one. Next after 3 hours on the second field i was exhausted and called it a day. Going home the satnav had a wobbley and sent me around the villages before I got to the Bicester roundabout.
A good day but sparse finds , a few buttons, HALF a rose farthing, and HALF a roman buckle. and a cockle fossil. ww dig.JPG

The farthing has just corroded away, the buckle could have been damaged by the plough or broken in use and discard.

No holes, it was actually two hidden pockets I'd never noticed before.

LOL. This reminds me of putting my car key into the pocket of my coat and walking from the office to the car, at which point there was no key in the pocket. I re-traced my step all the way to the office, checking around me regularly, and scoured the office floor in vain. Then I turned my attention to the coat, and suddenly discovered that there was a pocket in each sleeve that I had b=never noticed before, which was where I must have stowed the key in the first place. I think that confirmed some of my colleagues' suspicions about me...

LOL. This reminds me of putting my car key into the pocket of my coat and walking from the office to the car, at which point there was no key in the pocket. I re-traced my step all the way to the office, checking around me regularly, and scoured the office floor in vain. Then I turned my attention to the coat, and suddenly discovered that there was a pocket in each sleeve that I had b=never noticed before, which was where I must have stowed the key in the first place. I think that confirmed some of my colleagues' suspicions about me...

I once unlocked the car boot with the key and left it in the lock. The tailgate swung up and the key disappeared. I immediately forgot and spent 10 minutes looking for it, only ending it when I slammed the tailgate in disgust.

Did I say once? I did it at least twice more.

I once unlocked the car boot with the key and left it in the lock. The tailgate swung up and the key disappeared. I immediately forgot and spent 10 minutes looking for it, only ending it when I slammed the tailgate in disgust.

Did I say once? I did it at least twice more.

Nurse!

Totally weird, I had the same problem with my car keys.. I always put them in a zip up pocket to stop them falling out, they turned up in a pocket behind the zipped one. Next after 3 hours on the second field i was exhausted and called it a day. Going home the satnav had a wobbley and sent me around the villages before I got to the Bicester roundabout.
A good day but sparse finds , a few buttons, HALF a rose farthing, and HALF a roman buckle. and a cockle fossil.View attachment 28377
Ooh better luck than me, I can only dream of half a farthing. Somerton-Fritwell ?

A good day but sparse finds , a few buttons, HALF a rose farthing, and HALF a roman buckle. and a cockle fossil.
That reminds me of one of my favorite books as a child, "Half Magic" by Edward Eager. The children find half of a magic token, which grants half a wish. To get the full wish, they have to wish for it twice.

Ooh better luck than me, I can only dream of half a farthing. Somerton-Fritwell ?
yes Fritwell first then afternoon at Somerton., Cant go to the one tomorrow but Morestead on Sunday is on providing nothing happens before then..:)

yes Fritwell first then afternoon at Somerton., Cant go to the one tomorrow but Morestead on Sunday is on providing nothing happens before then..:)

Too far for me, last time I attempted Hampshire I spent as much time in the car as I did in the field - have to pace myself these days.

My Dad has recently moved into sheltered housing and I have just been with him to his old house to pick up a few things for him. While I was there I collected part of my inheritance - a Portmeirion coffee service. Sadly there were only 5 cups (I counted them a few times). He was rather surprised at this as he didn't know one was missing. I said to him that I would keep an eye on Ebay in case one turned up. I got home and took it out to wash and there are 6 cups. :thought:

My Dad has recently moved into sheltered housing and I have just been with him to his old house to pick up a few things for him. While I was there I collected part of my inheritance - a Portmeirion coffee service. Sadly there were only 5 cups (I counted them a few times). He was rather surprised at this as he didn't know one was missing. I said to him that I would keep an eye on Ebay in case one turned up. I got home and took it out to wash and there are 6 cups. :thought:
Portmeirion? Number 6 escaped and later returned? That sounds familiar.

The family ghost helpfully returned it.

Oooh thank you SO much for allowing me to trot out an anecdote.

wavy lines as they say on b3ta -

At a car booty years ago, I was strangely drawn to a tall white drinking mug sticking out of a box of bits and pieces.
The mug was elegant-looking, in perfect condition, like a stein, and had a drawing of a vintage car.
Made a beeline for it and invested 50p forthwith.

Took it home, washed it and put it on a shelf, where my teenage daughter spotted it. She asked if she could have it for a friend who was into old cars and of course I said yes.

Next time I saw her she had a tale to tell. She'd offered her friend the mug and he'd been delighted and a little spooked.

It was the one item missing from a set he'd been left by an elderly neighbour whom he'd often helped to restore old cars.
The young man had admired them and they'd both looked out for that one, to no avail.

Dunno where the lost mug went but the new one was an exact replacement! Mad.

Edit: the car model was a Lanchester. I was trying to remember that to no avail. Then something reminded me that it began with L so I could look at an alphabetical list of vintage cars.
Had a look at some online and spotted one that's owned by a limo company up t'road from where my other daughter lives.

Last edited:
Edit: the car model was a Lanchester. I was trying to remember that to no avail. Then something reminded me that it began with L so I could look at an alphabetical list of vintage cars.
Had a look at some online and spotted one that's owned by a limo company up t'road from where my other daughter lives.

L's a Lanchester? That sounds familiar [scarpering before anyone can throw something]

We've been out on t'mokes and Techy took a photo of me, on which my right hand/glove looks really weird. The gloves fit tightly and they were fastened as normal.

He took a couple of others at the same time and on the hand/glove looks normal on them. Some kind of glitch I s'pose.

pic funny hand.jpg

Here are close-ups of the hand looking both weird and normal, taken seconds apart -

weird hand 3.pngweird hand 2.png

Funny thing is that when I pointed it out, Techy thought I was complaining about the weird hand photo and swapped that one on Facebook for another. I couldn't get it through to him that I found it intriguing.

Here are close-ups of the hand looking both weird and normal, taken seconds apart -

View attachment 28752View attachment 28753

Funny thing is that when I pointed it out, Techy thought I was complaining about the weird hand photo and swapped that one on Facebook for another. I couldn't get it through to him that I found it intriguing.
Pictures are too small. Head of a pin, etc.

This is moderately weird.

I wasn't expecting to be able to play any cricket this year and so was delighted when my pub team managed to organise a few matches.
In preparation, I went to dig out my cricket gear to check it was still serviceable.
Unfortunately, my bat wasn't in my cricket bag and I started racking my brains as to where it could be.
I had a vague idea that, at the end of last season - around October 2019, I removed it from my bag and gave it a light sanding and oiling, in preparation for next year. My wife thought I might have left it propped up in the kitchen and she may have relocated it to the under-the-stairs cupboard. So, I pulled everything out, but still couldn't find it. I checked every possible location in the house, including the attic and even the garden shed. Still no joy.
As the date of my first match approached, I resigned myself to the fact that I must have left it at the ground I played at last in 2019 and took the decision to buy a new bat.
So, forked out for a new Kookaburra Kahuna and spent a good 3 days carefully knocking it in.
It served me well and I finished our first match with a few runs and a "not out".
Onto the second match last Wednesday and when I opened my cricket bag, not only was my new bat there, but my old bat was as well.
When I was searching everywhere for that old bat, how the hell I could not see that it was in my cricket bag all the time, I really don't know!
Think I will stick with the new bat though, as it feels livelier and springier, so will donate the mysteriously reappearing bat to the club pool of equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:

I wasn't expecting to be able to play any cricket this year and so was delighted when my pub team managed to organise a few matches.
In preparation, I went to dig out my cricket gear to check it was still serviceable.
Unfortunately, my bat wasn't in my cricket bag and I started racking my brains as to where it could be.
I had a vague idea that, at the end of last season - around October 2019, I removed it from my bag and gave it a light sanding and oiling, in preparation for next year. My wife thought I might have left it propped up in the kitchen and she may have relocated it to the under-the-stairs cupboard. So, I pulled everything out, but still couldn't find it. I checked every possible location in the house, including the attic and even the garden shed. Still no joy.
As the date of my first match approached, I resigned myself to the fact that I must have left it at the ground I played at last in 2019 and took the decision to buy a new bat.
So, forked out for a new Kookaburra Kahuna and spent a good 3 days carefully knocking it in.
It served me well and I finished our first match with a few runs and a "not out".
Onto the second match last Wednesday and when I opened my cricket bag, not only was my new bat there, but my old bat was as well.
When I was searching everywhere for that old bat, how the hell I could not see that it was in my cricket bag all the time, I really don't know!
Think I will stick with the new bat though, as it feels livelier and springier, so will donate the mysteriously reappearing bat to the club pool of equipment.

Made me think of The Cricket Bag (safe YouTube link)
:lolling:

Maybe you have to be of a certain age to get this!

... So, forked out for a new Kookaburra Kahuna and spent a good 3 days carefully knocking it in.

Could you have loaned the old bat to someone last autumn who slipped it back into your bag at the first match this summer?

Could your wife have re-discovered the old bat in the mean time and slipped it into your gear bag? :thought:

Could you have loaned the old bat to someone last autumn who slipped it back into your bag at the first match this summer?

Could your wife have re-discovered the old bat in the mean time and slipped it into your gear bag? :thought:

Definitely no to the first suggestion and an almost certain no to the second - my wife helped me look for the bat and surely would have remembered putting it back in my bag.
All I can do is put it down to my careless searching in overlooking a sizeable object hidden in plain sight!

Spooky!

I like a bit of cricket, me. I've played football more seriously than cricket and haven't played cricket for years – my last game: 9 not out off 7 balls and 2 for 21 off seven overs, both clean bowled while my wife was watching. She thinks I'm good at cricket. This was in Bath's eighth division (out of eight!). I bowl straight and they miss. Simples!

Good luck with the new bat. (My last bat was bought for $10Aus at a sports shop in Bondi Junction in 1988!! Which I left in Australia. I don't even own a bat now...)

Spooky!

I like a bit of cricket, me. I've played football more seriously than cricket and haven't played cricket for years – my last game: 9 not out off 7 balls and 2 for 21 off seven overs, both clean bowled while my wife was watching. She thinks I'm good at cricket. This was in Bath's eighth division (out of eight!). I bowl straight and they miss. Simples!

Good luck with the new bat. (My last bat was bought for $10Aus at a sports shop in Bondi Junction in 1988!! Which I left in Australia. I don't even own a bat now...)

Must admit that I do seriously enjoy knocking in a cricket bat (although the thunk, thunk, thunk noise drives my wife mad).
Also, the smell of linseed oil on fresh willow has to be my favourite olifactory experience!

Did your wife put it in there and forget to tell you?

My own weirdness seems to revolve around camera tripods. 3 have gone missing.
I even bought one that I put in plain sight right next to my coffee table here. I didn't notice when that went missing.
I bought a new high security lock for my front door after that.
They may turn up sometime (I hope).

Back