Minor Strangeness

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My mobile phone rang 4 or 5 times, by the time i got to it (it was in another room) it had stopped ringing. I checked to see who had called, no one.No call or text or anything. It had just been ringing on its own. No one else was home at the time, did i imagine it or did it just decide to ring on its own? :omg:
Perhaps it was practicing! ;)

Phones're weird. We have threads on telephone weirdness.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My mobile phone rang 4 or 5 times, by the time i got to it (it was in another room) it had stopped ringing. I checked to see who had called, no one.No call or text or anything. It had just been ringing on its own. No one else was home at the time, did i imagine it or did it just decide to ring on its own? :omg:
May have been the network doing 'line testing'.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
There's an item in the latest FT about phantom phones, where the sufferer will hear/feel their phone going off when it actually hasn't, but their brain has become so attuned to getting calls and messages that it thinks it's happening even when it isn't.

Sorry, that's not very reassuring! But if it happens again, bear that in mind.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Then I spent the night dreaming about smoking cigarettes. It was so real that when I awoke, I was disappointed in myself for giving in and smoking after all this time. It was so real I even remember how many I smoked, 5.

Was really happy it was just a dream. :)
You get them on and off. Even close to 15 years I still get the occasional smoking dream - I'm guessing nicotine still has an effect on the brain.
Congratulations to both of you for quitting! :D

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Took the car out of the garage this morning to drive my daughter to the station.
I hadn't used the car yesterday and noticed that there a bird had left a plop about the size of a ten cent coin on the windscreen and thought I would wash it off later.
As we were about to go it started to sprinkle and I said to my daughter that I hoped if I used the wipers that it wouldn't smear over the windscreen.
I backed out onto the road and went to turn on the wipers, but the plop had completely disappeared.
We couldn't work out how it could disappear so completely. The other bits on the car body were still there.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Took the car out of the garage this morning to drive my daughter to the station.
I hadn't used the car yesterday and noticed that there a bird had left a plop about the size of a ten cent coin on the windscreen and thought I would wash it off later.
As we were about to go it started to sprinkle and I said to my daughter that I hoped if I used the wipers that it wouldn't smear over the windscreen.
I backed out onto the road and went to turn on the wipers, but the plop had completely disappeared.
We couldn't work out how it could disappear so completely. The other bits on the car body were still there.
I'm wondering if that was a bit of litter or maybe a leaf that you assumed was a splat?
I mean, you didn't investigate too closely. Nobody tasted it, for example.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
escargot I had considered that, but there was no wind and it was there one moment and gone the next.
I know that I was pleased it wasn't there anymore to smear the windscreen.

Timelord2u

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I was having a conversation with my son in law about the thing where one thing happens and you suddenly start noticing loads of incidences of the same thing - like when you buy a Skoda and suddenly every car you see is a Skoda, or you learn a new word and suddenly it's everywhere on the radio and TV and in every book you read.

Is there a word for this? We were trying to decide if there was a word other than co-incidence for when this happens, and I was sure there was but just couldn't think!
Syncronicity ,maybe

Eyespy

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Michael, I was an occasional "social" smoker 40 years ago, not had one in over 30 years . I don't think I ever really enjoyed smoking , it was just something everyone I knew did at the time. I however do dream that I am smoking, usually those little Cafe Creme cigaret things from time to time.

No idea why I do things in dreams that have no part or meaning in life.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Michael, I was an occasional "social" smoker 40 years ago, not had one in over 30 years . I don't think I ever really enjoyed smoking , it was just something everyone I knew did at the time. I however do dream that I am smoking, usually those little Cafe Creme cigaret things from time to time.

No idea why I do things in dreams that have no part or meaning in life.
Ah yes I used to love those Café Crème things. Despite the fact that I've not smoked for 15 years or more, I still remember the smell and taste of them and the little tins they came in. They used to attract women as well for some reason....

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
I wonder if it had completely dried out and simply fell off the screen?

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I guess it might have but the birds around here seem to eat something that makes it stick very well, necessitating water and a sponge.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
If you live anywhere near me, the chances are that my dog licked it off. She's disgusting.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I too have a brand-new bird-splat story.

t'other day our bin was emptied. When I collected it from the pavement I noticed a big bird-crap on it. So I dragged it up the drive and left it next to the front door, where the slightly faulty roof gutter would leak onto it when it rained, saving me a job. I'm not daft!
Techy was working from home upstairs so I also hoped the sound it made would remind hm to call the repair man about it.

So of course I forgot and left it there, and it's rained all night ever since, and this morning Techy complained about the hammering noise he can hear at all hours that keeps him up.

Whoops.
:evillaugh:

I did tell him and and he wasn't amused, which made it even funnier. I went off for a bike ride still creased up laughing at him.

TOP pranking, if I say so myself. :cooll:

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
I guess it might have but the birds around here seem to eat something that makes it stick very well, necessitating water and a sponge.
The seagulls round here are clearly not happy with our choice in cars and target them relentlessly as opposed to those of our neighbours. They appear to enjoy a good curry on Saturday night as well.:mad:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
1594279408912.png
I'm wondering now if it could have been a bird dropping spider seeing it disappeared so quickly.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
escargot I had considered that, but there was no wind and it was there one moment and gone the next.
I know that I was pleased it wasn't there anymore to smear the windscreen.
When you say you 'considered that', do you mean you considered the alternative item (leaf/litter) scenario or did the tasting?

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well I had wondered if it could have been a leaf although it didn't really look like any I had growing and as it disappeared so quickly I couldn't have tasted it( not that I would).
That's why I wondered if it might have been a spider although I didn't see any legs.

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Well I had wondered if it could have been a leaf although it didn't really look like any I had growing and as it disappeared so quickly I couldn't have tasted it( not that I would).
That's why I wondered if it might have been a spider although I didn't see any legs.
Could it have been a flower pedal. Maybe an apple blossom?

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The only flowers near the garage are camellias and they are red.
It had the blackbrown colour with bits of white.

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The only flowers near the garage are camellias and they are red.
It had the blackbrown colour with bits of white.
I think you had bird droppings on your windshield and for some reason that particular piece was loose so it came off easily. You were lucky it didn't make a big smear on the windshield. :)

One time, I was sitting in the car getting ready to leave when a pigeon dropped a deuce on the windshield that had half of a earthworm still wiggling around in the mess. Yuck!

Sgt Girth

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Years ago when I was based on the Morayshire coast, I often used to see massive flocks of geese (Canadian geese?) flying overhead at some considerable altitude and making a right racket! Well one of them must have had a bit of a fright because the goosey dropping that splattered on my car took out about a third of my windscreen! It took most of my screenwash to clear that one before I could set off! God forbid it had landed on a passing pedestrian!

BeardSprite

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I'm in the UK, this happened a few minutes ago (about 1:30 am, local).

The Mrs has just turned off her kindle and gone to sleep, so I check the time - just before 1:30am, figure its time to turn off my video game (The Long Dark, in case anyone is curious :D:cool:) and go to bed. Catch mention of comet NEOWISE as I come to shut down Twitter, so toddle to peek out teh bathroom window (it faces the right direction) and turn off the bedroom lights on my way (our desks are in the corner of the bedroom (TM domestic I, I'm sure ;)).

Anyway, the point - looking out the bathroom window over the park out back, I see the sky is indeed clear, but likelly comet localities are blocked by the trees along the edge of the park. I'm not going out for a stroll at this hour, thinks I.

Just then, the security light (which is ALWAYS on after dark, even when the establishment is closed) on the corner of the social club/private hire venue on the edge of the park blinks, very distinctly. Once.

Funny, I thought, never known it to do that before (the light bugs me, it is visible through our curtains at night, I like it nice and dark for sleeping). I glance up at the stars again, make sure I had the right area for the comet - barely a second or two after the light blinked.

High overhead, a single white light flashed. Oh, an aeroplane, headed north-ish. Wonder what where its going most stuff is gong east or west over here (to Doncaster or Manchester). But the light blinked exactly once. Weird, I thought. Stared for another minute or two. No more blinky lights.

Still no comet. Decide I'll try stay up to 4am, see if the comet has moved to a more visible spot by then.

Shuffle back to my computer, resume my game. Then quickly hop to ADS-B (a flight tracker site), no flights over this region that it could have been. In fact, UK skies are unusually quite tonight (I've been surprised just how busy they've been latelly, what with lock downs and all).

Minor Strangeness indeed.

TL-DR - went to window to look for comet. A nearby security light blinked, once. Moments later, a single white light, looking just like a high flying aircraft light blink. Once.

Oh, and the window was wide open, I wasn't looking through glass.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Goodness, such typo's. Corrected now, I hope! Maybe I should just go to bed!

Last edited:

BeardSprite

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Update:

I made it to 4am. Still no comet.

Beautiful pre-dawn sky with Venus visible low towards the ENE (just beyond the trees around the park) and the birds have just started to sing, so I'm not sorry.

The security light on the social club/private hire venue was having a good old blinking session, though. Clearly, the bulb/element/what have you is on the way out. No further blinky light from the sky though.

And so to bed.