• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Or is it because there are no horse signs, so cows have to do?
There is a warning sign for horses -

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 14.18.52.png

Consider the scene:- Stupidly early hours o'clock Saturday morning and get woken up by passing emergency vehicle. Sit up slightly to see cat sitting motionless on bedroom floor glaring at me. You know- one of those glares which says "you know what I want don't pretend you don't". Me (whispering to avoid waking Ms petes) "FGS it's not that time, go back to sleep, go on". Cat continues to glare defiantly. Me again " no I ain't doing it" No reaction. "Jeez alright go on" Get up and onto landing "come on then" No reaction. I bend down to pick her up only to find the pair of jeans I'd be talking to (and had flung onto the side of the linen basket) was not hungry at all. Then of course Ms Cat realises that I'm up and about and starts her "I'm starving to death down here and going to die of malnutrition forthwith if I'm not fed and it'll be all your fault" type whines. Jeez Louise - feed her and on way back to bed stub my little toe on bed. Blaspheme loudly to elicit sympathy from Ms petes but just get the "what are you doing now ?" response. Permanently disabled I hobble to bed and spend the next hour or so contemplating my clearly unrepairable foot and the possibility of purchasing night vision goggles to avoid any future discourse with items of clothing. Sigh.

Whatever happened to 'putting the cat out' at night? Always used to be the thing but nowadays people stand at their back doors, calling their pussy, while tapping on a can of whiskas.

Whatever happened to 'putting the cat out' at night? Always used to be the thing but nowadays people stand at their back doors, calling their pussy, while tapping on a can of whiskas.

People keep them in at night now so they're safe.
We have a cat door for ours so they come and go as they like, along with all the other local moggies.

Consider the scene:- Stupidly early hours o'clock Saturday morning and get woken up by passing emergency vehicle. Sit up slightly to see cat sitting motionless on bedroom floor glaring at me. You know- one of those glares which says "you know what I want don't pretend you don't". Me (whispering to avoid waking Ms petes) "FGS it's not that time, go back to sleep, go on". Cat continues to glare defiantly. Me again " no I ain't doing it" No reaction. "Jeez alright go on" Get up and onto landing "come on then" No reaction. I bend down to pick her up only to find the pair of jeans I'd be talking to (and had flung onto the side of the linen basket) was not hungry at all. Then of course Ms Cat realises that I'm up and about and starts her "I'm starving to death down here and going to die of malnutrition forthwith if I'm not fed and it'll be all your fault" type whines. Jeez Louise - feed her and on way back to bed stub my little toe on bed. Blaspheme loudly to elicit sympathy from Ms petes but just get the "what are you doing now ?" response. Permanently disabled I hobble to bed and spend the next hour or so contemplating my clearly unrepairable foot and the possibility of purchasing night vision goggles to avoid any future discourse with items of clothing. Sigh.

If your toe is looking bruised and/or is painful you might have sprained it or even broken it. The treatment for both is the same - strapping up - so you could tape it to the next toe to stop it flopping around.

Oh yeah and HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Where I live, cats that stay out at night become meals for coyotes.. :(
There are missing cat signs everywhere.
And there is also the coronavirus issue. The cat goes to chase a rat, and then meets its very angry and hungry countless companions, at large because there is no trash from closed restaurants...

And there is also the coronavirus issue. The cat goes to chase a rat, and then meets its very angry and hungry countless companions, at large because there is no trash from closed restaurants...
Absolutely! The urban crows around here are having trouble foraging too. And all of the birds and other animals are displaced from the huge fires here, as we burn down the planet for the rest of the animals.

People keep them in at night now so they're safe.
We have a cat door for ours so they come and go as they like, along with all the other local moggies.
Yep - having spent her first couple of years having to fend outside for herself in the wild, and being reduced to flea ridden skin and bone, she decided that she would move into my house, and clearly found it was much easier to have someone run about after her in the warm and dry, and consequently is now a house cat only.
Ms petes previous cat had a magnetized collar so only he could get in through the cat flap. It was funny watching others trying to follow and failing. I suspect that he did a bit of baiting really and would leg it back inside sometimes at full speed, presumably sniggering at the same time.

It's coming cat poisoning time again, antifreeze added for winter
car arrives home, coolant finds it's own level, a little runs out onto road,
cat under car for a warm, drinks antifreeze, dead cat,
Owner upset and believes someone is poisoning cats on purpose.

Met up with brother today for a coffee - he gave me a very light coin he'd dug up in an elderly client's garden. He doesn't have internet so I spent 45 minutes trying to identify the country and language. Thailand - 25 Satang (1/4 of a Baht) - Rama IX - almost certainly 1957 - aluminium bronze - one on Ebay for £1.39 (better condition than mine). So how did it end up in Hertfordshire ?

25 satang.jpg

Met up with brother today for a coffee - he gave me a very light coin he'd dug up in an elderly client's garden. He doesn't have internet so I spent 45 minutes trying to identify the country and language. Thailand - 25 Satang (1/4 of a Baht) - Rama IX - almost certainly 1957 - aluminium bronze - one on Ebay for £1.39 (better condition than mine). So how did it end up in Hertfordshire ?

View attachment 30354

I once found an American dime in my back garden. Total mystery.

I once found an American dime in my back garden. Total mystery.
I got foreign countries in my change sometimes. Tourists might mix them, and if they are the same or close to the size of national ones they might pass unnoticed. So, someone long ago noticed the weird alien in the change and just tossed it away.

That became an altogether different post when I initially mis-read it as urban cows
There are a lot of folks keeping chickens in Portland, OR --they are always flapping across the street and hanging out on the library's lawn when I am at work.

If your toe is looking bruised and/or is painful you might have sprained it or even broken it. The treatment for both is the same - strapping up - so you could tape it to the next toe to stop it flopping around.

Oh yeah and HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Two things. I once slept at a mates in her front room who had two cats. I spent the night being sat on by four or five cats, so I know what they get up to at night.

Slightly related I once had a blazing row with my wife at home while drinking! I stormed upstairs after her, with my unopened bag of Kettle Chips in hand. As I got to the bedroom door she slammed it on me, breaking one of my toes.

I flew in the air at the entrance to the bedroom and landed on the said bag of Kettle Chips.

With a bang the room was liberally sprayed with crisps, that we kept finding in bed that night.

It eased the tension somewhat as she burst out laughing.

Anyway, off topic please get back to normal...

I got foreign countries in my change sometimes. Tourists might mix them, and if they are the same or close to the size of national ones they might pass unnoticed. So, someone long ago noticed the weird alien in the change and just tossed it away.

Tossed ... money ... away ??

In the U.S. most people keep their cats in. Depending on your neighborhood, you can lose a kit from feral dogs, coyotes, road traffic, eating poisoned vermin from neighbors who poison vermin, etc, etc, etc.
We've wanted to keep our cats as indoor cats, but it's proven impossible to overlap keeping a new cat indoors with an existing cat who has the freedom of a cat door. And we had one fellow who, if we barely cracked a door, he'd dash. So we've lost cats to traffic, ferals, a particularly large aggressive unneutered tomcat, and possibly, Methodists. We live next door to a church; some of our cats found it a peaceful place to hang out, and two disappeared on an Easter weekend. We can envision some well-meaning congregants from Easter crowds seeing the cats loose and luring them into impromptu "adoption."

Two things. I once slept at a mates in her front room who had two cats. I spent the night being sat on by four or five cats, so I know what they get up to at night.

Slightly related I once had a blazing row with my wife at home while drinking! I stormed upstairs after her, with my unopened bag of Kettle Chips in hand. As I got to the bedroom door she slammed it on me, breaking one of my toes.

I flew in the air at the entrance to the bedroom and landed on the said bag of Kettle Chips.

With a bang the room was liberally sprayed with crisps, that we kept finding in bed that night.

It eased the tension somewhat as she burst out laughing.

Anyway, off topic please get back to normal...
Kettle Chips mmm - yummy. Off to Tesco now...

In the U.S. most people keep their cats in. Depending on your neighborhood, you can lose a kit from feral dogs, coyotes, road traffic, eating poisoned vermin from neighbors who poison vermin, etc, etc, etc.
We've wanted to keep our cats as indoor cats, but it's proven impossible to overlap keeping a new cat indoors with an existing cat who has the freedom of a cat door. And we had one fellow who, if we barely cracked a door, he'd dash. So we've lost cats to traffic, ferals, a particularly large aggressive unneutered tomcat, and possibly, Methodists. We live next door to a church; some of our cats found it a peaceful place to hang out, and two disappeared on an Easter weekend. We can envision some well-meaning congregants from Easter crowds seeing the cats loose and luring them into impromptu "adoption."
My current co-inhabitant is strictly inside as she'd be easy prey for anything passing, but in the past I've had outdoor cats and they always had a tag or even printed on the collar my phone number. Never mind putting the cute name on a tag. It may take a bit for them to accept it, but they all did.

Back