• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

This accounts, I think, for a lot of the behavioural disorders reported from performers from the 50's - 70's. A lot of it got put down as them being rich and flexing their fame, but in reality I think it was just the alcohol affecting them. But because (anecdotally) EVERYONE drank to excess, it was dismissed.

Reading John Cooper Clarke's autobiography, he says when he became famous in the 1970s he didn't handle it very well - then points out NOBODY handles fame well, because it's not a natural state to be in. Mind you, his vice was heroin rather than booze, coke or sex.

Startlingly loud noise, part two. This happened about ten minutes ago.

Downstairs, checking on Tigger, and locking up, and grabbing snacks to aid writing, and feeding the feral cat who's adopted us. Just as I'm setting their small meal down I hear a really loud sound I can best describe as a sharp crack. Thinking back over it, it sounded like an impact, like something being hit, or falling to the floor. First (very) minor strangeness: I couldn't pinpoint where it came from, other than the sheer volume suggesting it was pretty close by.

Slightly less minor strangeness. Spent several minutes exploring the lower floor of the house, looking for the source of the sound, and found nothing. No breakages, nothing fallen, nothing out of place. Wondered if it might be to do with our Henry vacuum, sitting with his attachments piled around and on him in the next room, but tests showed otherwise. The only hypothesis I have involves a chimney part way through being cleaned out ready for winter; maybe something had dislodged from inside it and fallen into the plastic box currently sitting under the open flue; however, would it have been so loud from two rooms away?

The cat didn't seem to react, by the way, and Tigs didn't budge from her sofa, so maybe it was all in my head? A random auditory hallucination? :dunno:

Downstairs, checking on Tigger, and locking up, and grabbing snacks to aid writing, and feeding the feral cat who's adopted us. Just as I'm setting their small meal down I hear a really loud sound I can best describe as a sharp crack. Thinking back over it, it sounded like an impact, like something being hit, or falling to the floor. First (very) minor strangeness: I couldn't pinpoint where it came from, other than the sheer volume suggesting it was pretty close by.

Slightly less minor strangeness. Spent several minutes exploring the lower floor of the house, looking for the source of the sound, and found nothing. No breakages, nothing fallen, nothing out of place. Wondered if it might be to do with our Henry vacuum, sitting with his attachments piled around and on him in the next room, but tests showed otherwise. The only hypothesis I have involves a chimney part way through being cleaned out ready for winter; maybe something had dislodged from inside it and fallen into the plastic box currently sitting under the open flue; however, would it have been so loud from two rooms away?

The cat didn't seem to react, by the way, and Tigs didn't budge from her sofa, so maybe it was all in my head? A random auditory hallucination? :dunno:
It wasn't a bottle of pop 'cracking' was it? A similar thing happened to me, and only because I was in the room at the time did I work out that it was a bottle of lemonade, from which I'd recently poured myself a glass. The plastic cracked as the gas settled.

Where I live it's three packets. In fact the Pound shop sells 3 packs of 18 ibuprofen for a quid.
Guidelines say...

How many paracetamol packets can I buy?

It is illegal to sell more than 100 tablets or capsules of either paracetamol or aspirin in any one retail transaction, and Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) guidelines limit sales to two packets per transaction

So it's going against guidelines. But I suppose they can always say 'well, it's just a guideline....'

It wasn't a bottle of pop 'cracking' was it? A similar thing happened to me, and only because I was in the room at the time did I work out that it was a bottle of lemonade, from which I'd recently poured myself a glass. The plastic cracked as the gas settled.

Good thinking, but no. To the best of my recollection, no carbonated drinks in the house. Not really a thing in this household.

Guidelines say...

How many paracetamol packets can I buy?

It is illegal to sell more than 100 tablets or capsules of either paracetamol or aspirin in any one retail transaction, and Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) guidelines limit sales to two packets per transaction

So it's going against guidelines. But I suppose they can always say 'well, it's just a guideline....'
Yup, but 3 packs of 18 is much less than 100 tablets and so well within the limit.
Not arguing with you, but I suspect it's easier to enforce the guideline in a more remote area where there are fewer shops, which I suspect is the case where you work.

You can't buy large quantities online either so a few weeks ago I went from shop to shop in town to stock up on over-the-counter pain meds for a poorly relation and posted the lot off to them.
Nothing illegal about that even though the staff may have recognised me when I popped back to a cheaper place. :chuckle:

Paracetamol is deadly in quite low quantities, as you'll know. We have an ancient tub of 100 knocking about from somewhere. That's been illegal to sell for years.

I was “reliably informed“ that the fruit-fly problem we endure in the UK each summer is entirely the result of escaped lab-grown flies over the years, that have resulted in a natural population . Who can remember a fruitfly problem in the 1970s? I don’t recall ever seeing one until about 15 years ago.

I'd have thought the chimney was a good candidate. As for being able to hear it, sound can be a strange thing. We can't hear our (old and quite loud) washing machine from one of the bedrooms upstairs, but can hear the 'click' from the pull-cord in the downstairs toilet (next door to the washing machine).
I don't think it would have been loud enough to fit your description, but also sometimes things like tv's do 'crack' seemingly for no reason.

I don't think it would have been loud enough to fit your description, but also sometimes things like tv's do 'crack' seemingly for no reason.
Fridges and freezers can do this as well as can central heating. I've mentioned before that a large modern detached house I rented 30 years ago was so noisy at night that I moved. Creaked, cracked and banged all night so loud that it kept me awake, probably entirely down to an inadequate roof structure. As you say sound is sometimes just strange.

Yes, my dad was a very heavy smoker. My brother used to say when he came home from work he could always tell when my dad was home as he could see smoke coming out of the letter box.
Sounds like my dad, too o_O
Thing is, kids are just used to it when their parents smoke. It seems normal.

My father smoked heavily from his teens onwards. As with Eric Morecambe* and other famous smokers he changed to a pipe in a misguided effort to slow down the damage to his health. I can't remember Dad smoking anything but that and cigars.

The stink of tobacco smoke was normal and I wouldn't dream of objecting to it as a child, though wider family gatherings were a fug-fest.
You could see the layer of smoke against the ceiling. That used to trouble me.

So it's a miracle any child from a smoking household avoids taking it up.

*Who died of heart failure at 58. 58! No age. I'm still not over that. :(
Eric also drank heavily which didn't help.

I've mentioned my elderly friend John on here before. He used to perform as a stand up act in the Working Men's Clubs up here in the north, and worked with a lot of the late and greats, like Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, Tony Hancock etc. Virtually ALL of the stories he tells me involve how much all of them used to drink. Many of the acts would sink a bottle of whisky, perform, then go on to drink another when they came off. I can only assume that they all had all developed a huge tolerance for alcohol to be able to remember any of their act!
A couple of years before he died Richard Burton had to have an operation on his back and doctors found his spine was coated with crystallised alcohol

Minor strangeness in both senses of the word;
A couple of years before he died Richard Burton had to have an operation on his back and doctors found his spine was coated with crystallised alcohol
Wouldn't suprise me. He also smoked around 100 cigarettes a day too. Amazing that he lived as long as he did really.

Yup, but 3 packs of 18 is much less than 100 tablets and so well within the limit.
Not arguing with you, but I suspect it's easier to enforce the guideline in a more remote area where there are fewer shops, which I suspect is the case where you work.

You can't buy large quantities online either so a few weeks ago I went from shop to shop in town to stock up on over-the-counter pain meds for a poorly relation and posted the lot off to them.
Nothing illegal about that even though the staff may have recognised me when I popped back to a cheaper place. :chuckle:

Paracetamol is deadly in quite low quantities, as you'll know. We have an ancient tub of 100 knocking about from somewhere. That's been illegal to sell for years.
Yes, and if you go to a pharmacy you can buy up to 100 in one pack....it's a bit ridiculous really. There's absolutely nothing stopping people buying two packs and then coming back in and buying another two packs. We'd be better off limiting the amount of alcohol people can buy - transactions go through daily for the same people buying two bottles of spirits and a ten pack of Fosters - I'll be willing to bet they aren't having parties every day!

I'd have thought the chimney was a good candidate. As for being able to hear it, sound can be a strange thing. We can't hear our (old and quite loud) washing machine from one of the bedrooms upstairs, but can hear the 'click' from the pull-cord in the downstairs toilet (next door to the washing machine).
In my old house I slept in a bedroom over the garage. Down in the garage was a fluorescent light which was inaudible when you were in the bedrom, but the moment you lay down in bed you could hear a 'hum' if it had been left on. So I got into the habit of always checking to see if that light was on before I went up to bed, because there's nothing more annoying that just getting comfortable and hearing 'Hmmmmmmmmmm' buzzing up throught he floorboards.

In my old house I slept in a bedroom over the garage. Down in the garage was a fluorescent light which was inaudible when you were in the bedrom, but the moment you lay down in bed you could hear a 'hum' if it had been left on. So I got into the habit of always checking to see if that light was on before I went up to bed, because there's nothing more annoying that just getting comfortable and hearing 'Hmmmmmmmmmm' buzzing up throught he floorboards.
When Techy is shaving, if I'm in bed I can hear him tapping the razor and all the other basin-related noises through my headboard across the house.
So he can't get up early and sneak out all spruced up because I'm awake. :chuckle:

Yes! I have on many occassions had the exact same problems. Get in bed and can hear something-a slight hum usually. Get out of bed, nothing. Open the window and nothing, or certainly not the same noise I can hear anyway. I think sometimes it is the fridge, or possibly a nearby generator from a factory or farm, but the trouble is here is that there is usually some arse with a car engine/radio, going so it's difficult to pinpoint it.

Yes, and if you go to a pharmacy you can buy up to 100 in one pack....it's a bit ridiculous really. There's absolutely nothing stopping people buying two packs and then coming back in and buying another two packs. We'd be better off limiting the amount of alcohol people can buy - transactions go through daily for the same people buying two bottles of spirits and a ten pack of Fosters - I'll be willing to bet they aren't having parties every day!
You're right, but the restrictions on OTC painkillers is due to the danger of impulsive overdoses on them by depressed people, especially teenagers.

(When I worked with disturbed teenagers there was a constant dialogue between them about how many of each tablet they could take to alarm the adults without actually killing themselves. They thought they'd get away with it rather than suffering longterm effects. It was horrifying.

Can remember an episode of Casualty where a girl was carted off for treatment after what she'd thought was a half-hearted paracetamol overdose. The problem is that the damage is done by the time the patient starts to feel ill by which time they would be lucky to survive.)

Last edited:
You're right, but the restrictions on OTC painkillers is due to the danger of impulsive overdoses on them by depressed people, especially teenagers.

(When I worked with disturbed teenagers there was a constant dialogue between them about how many of each tablet they could take to alarm the adults without actually killing themselves. They thought they'd get away with it rather than suffering longterm effects. It was horrifying.
Can remember an episode of Casualty where a girl was carted for treatment after what she'd thought was a half-hearted paracetamol overdose. The problem is that the damage is done by the time the patient starts to feel ill by which time they would be lucky to survive.)
Yes, but there's nothing stopping people from going round and buying one pack of paracetamol in every shop. Doesn't take much to be a fatal dose. Most of my 'trying to buy too many tablets' customers were older people with severe back pain or toothache. I think the restriction is actually to stop people buying lots of products that they don't realise contain paracetamol - cold remedies, etc, and accidentally overdosing.

Yes, but there's nothing stopping people from going round and buying one pack of paracetamol in every shop. Doesn't take much to be a fatal dose. Most of my 'trying to buy too many tablets' customers were older people with severe back pain or toothache. I think the restriction is actually to stop people buying lots of products that they don't realise contain paracetamol - cold remedies, etc, and accidentally overdosing.
Well yup, I went shop to shop to obtain supplies for someone! That was mainly ibuprofen though.

When my kids were teenagers I stopped buying paracetamol altogether because I'd heard of youngsters raiding their friends' parents' bathroom cabinets for the stuff.

Wasn't taking the risk as I couldn't trust the ex to do fucking anything I asked him to put meds away safely.
I only started having paracetamol again a few years ago as there are no teenagers around now, unstable or not.

A couple of years ago Techy had some strong pills for pain. I advised him to keep them downstairs in case he woke up in the night, necked some while half asleep and slipped quietly away. :omg:

You have to be soo careful.

That seems to be an urban legend as alcohol can't crystallise.

Burton was certainly unhealthy though. He also died at 58; only three months after Eric Morecambe.

Sadly, there are no frivolously-posed statues of Burton for me to frolic with.
Eric in helmet.jpg

Last night, about 10pm, I was stood outside in my back garden and I thought to myself that something didn't seem right but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.
Then I realised what it was.
Everything was unusually quiet, calm and peaceful.
There was no wind blowing, not even a slight breeze.
There were no planes overhead.
I couldn't hear any traffic of any sort (I live near some fairly busy local roads, an ambulance station, and a mile or so from the main A1M).
There were no loud parties anywhere nearby and nobody just playing music loudly.
As it was dark there were no birds or other wildlife that I could hear.
So I stood there for a couple of minutes just savouring it.

Then suddenly the silence was pierced by the semi-distant sound of a police car siren, and that was it, all the noises were back.
A plane was going over, the local roads sounded like they had traffic on again, a breeze picked up, and a car came slowly around the close with humpitty-bumpitty music throbbing out of it.

Last night, about 10pm, I was stood outside in my back garden and I thought to myself that something didn't seem right but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.
Then I realised what it was.
Everything was unusually quiet, calm and peaceful.
There was no wind blowing, not even a slight breeze.
There were no planes overhead.
I couldn't hear any traffic of any sort (I live near some fairly busy local roads, an ambulance station, and a mile or so from the main A1M).
There were no loud parties anywhere nearby and nobody just playing music loudly.
As it was dark there were no birds or other wildlife that I could hear.
So I stood there for a couple of minutes just savouring it.

Then suddenly the silence was pierced by the semi-distant sound of a police car siren, and that was it, all the noises were back.
A plane was going over, the local roads sounded like they had traffic on again, a breeze picked up, and a car came slowly around the close with humpitty-bumpitty music throbbing out of it.
It's like someone was reminded to start up the noise after forgetting.

Middle of the night - still dark.. 3am at a guess but I admit to not checking the clock. I was somewhere in-between stirring and fully waking up for a pee (dont you just love this getting older business). BANG and it felt like the house shook. I fully woke with a start.

I thought something had crashed into the side of the house, to my brain it felt like the house shook and the bang was sonic boom loud. Getting up to investigate and relive myself of what my brain really woke me up for - no sign of anything. I was half expecting a car embeded into the wall or a ceiling had gone through. The rest of the house was fast asleep. No-one outside and no sign of any cars (we live in a pretty quiet area). No reports of sonic booms or earthquakes the next day. I put it down to my brain wanting my attention and it certainly got it. :)

Middle of the night - still dark.. 3am at a guess but I admit to not checking the clock. I was somewhere in-between stirring and fully waking up for a pee (dont you just love this getting older business). BANG and it felt like the house shook. I fully woke with a start.

I thought something had crashed into the side of the house, to my brain it felt like the house shook and the bang was sonic boom loud. Getting up to investigate and relive myself of what my brain really woke me up for - no sign of anything. I was half expecting a car embeded into the wall or a ceiling had gone through. The rest of the house was fast asleep. No-one outside and no sign of any cars (we live in a pretty quiet area). No reports of sonic booms or earthquakes the next day. I put it down to my brain wanting my attention and it certainly got it. :)
My guess is that you were starting to drift off to sleep again and experienced the hypnagogic shock (exploding head syndrome).

Sounds like you experienced a Myoclonic Jerk but with an auditory component included.

I've experienced a similar thing before but just as I have been dropping off, in between being fully awake and fully asleep, when I have suddenly had some kind of 'loud twitch' and then I'm rather annoyingly fully awake again.

Very good point. I can hear the clack of the toilet lid hitting the cistern from my bedroom across the house, but no other sounds (thankfully!), even though some of them surely have to be louder. It also seems entirely arbitrary what sounds my solid wood bedroom door blocks out, and which ones it doesn't. Something about certain tones and/or frequencies transmitting further, I think.

Also can't dismiss the house making noises. It doesn't tend to, but the oldest parts are circa 300 years, and at least one of the many extensions is more than a century old, and it can be pretty leaky, mostly under the flat roof sections. Proper old ramble of a cottage, ours.

As to the pill discussion, my brief time on anti-depressants proved to me just how thin a line there can be between helpful medicine and harmful problem, in that case addictive qualities. Had to be so sparing, and the sooner I could stop taking them, the better.

Back