• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

This reminds me of an experience that my husband had quite a few years ago. He was listening to the radio late one night (bbc 3) and he heard a track by Gavin Bryars (Jesus blood never failed me yet). He fell in love with it and and was mesmerised by how it crescendoed. He set about trying to find it on vinyl or cd but to no avail, it was not to be found anywhere.
Fast forward about three years and he had sourced a copy and the cd arrived in the post on a Saturday morning. He saved it all day so that he could have a couple of beers and sit in the kitchen at night and listen to the track I disturbed by the kids or myself . He hadn’t heard it since the first time years ago.
The evening came and he turned on the stereo as he unwrapped the cd, and Tom Robinson was on the radio at just that moment and said ‘as promised I will now play Gavin Bryars Jesus blood never failed me yet’ . Hubby went all tingly and had a little tear as he enjoyed it once again without even having to put the cd in the player.
I have a strange memory of listening to that track on a radio as a teenager while sitting on my parents' bed in our old house.

It's possible that this did happen as I was 13/14 when it came out and there were radios around the place, but it seems unlikely that I'd remember only that song.

Well the further info from Office of National Statistics arrived yesterday. I am supposed to go on tinternet and complete a survey and I "should" do it. If I don't complete it by 16th November one of their officers will contact me. (quakes in boots). The free gift was one of those shopping bags from recycled stuff with a large advert for ONS on it.

Apart from the invasion of privacy, the fact that these surveys are undertaken by private companies some of whom have very dodgy reputations, it p****s me off that they assume people have access to, and are familiar with the internet, and without fail there is always an accompanying threat of a fine or an "authority" figure contacting you to make you tow the line.

The ONS can go boil their 'eads . Grumpy old git rant over. I feel better for that.:chuckle:

An old friend of mine who was a bit rough and ready once sat down to tie his boots outside a YMCA and someone stopped and threw a pound coin down for him.

You could literally see him weighing up the "morality v free money" question in his mind.

The fact it was in the days when pubs did pints for a pound won out.

If you're still after it, there are copies for under a fiver on Discogs.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/67657-Gavin-Bryars

Thanks! Though I think the moment's passed.

@escargot - it was originally released in the 1970s, I think, so you could have heard it then. Revised for the 90s. Mysterious track, nobody knows who the singer was, and the song he is singing appears to have been made up by himself. By the time the music was completed, he was dead, his name still unknown.

An old friend of mine who was a bit rough and ready once sat down to tie his boots outside a YMCA and someone stopped and threw a pound coin down for him.

You could literally see him weighing up the "morality v free money" question in his mind.

The fact it was in the days when pubs did pints for a pound won out.

ln 1994 (?) l was in Switzerland to shoot in an international police competition.

We were in a big Swiss city one day, and another team member, who was bored, got out some little bean bags he used to juggle just to amuse himself.

He stood a few feet away from us, and started to shower three balls (*groans inwardly*). Within seconds, an apparently well-to-do Swiss matron had thrown some coins at his feet and walked off.

Cue embarrassing scene as several British police officers dash after said woman and try, in mangled schoolboy French/German, to persuade her to accept the money back.

maximus otter

ln 1994 (?) l was in Switzerland to shoot in an international police competition.

We were in a big Swiss city one day, and another team member, who was bored, got out some little bean bags he used to juggle just to amuse himself.

He stood a few feet away from us, and started to shower three balls (*groans inwardly*). Within seconds, an apparently well-to-do Swiss matron had thrown some coins at his feet and walked off.

Cue embarrassing scene as several British police officers dash after said woman and try, in mangled schoolboy French/German, to persuade her to accept the money back.

maximus otter
Cheesy story.
I'll roll with it though.

Wednesday evening my partner came home- we've not seen each other for 24hours+ - and said "what have you done to your face?" I was a bit surprised and said "Nothing- why?" well he said "you have a bruise on your right cheek bone, Have you fallen over again?" . I said I had had a minor bump on "but nothing worth making a fuss about." There was some huffing and muttering from him then I went to bed. On washing face, teeth etc I was really surprised to see a distinct round red dish bruise the size of a 5p/ dime on my cheek bone. No pain or tenderness, just a big redd circle.

Thing is, I had an interview Wednesday afternoon after my shift at the vaccination centre and it was not there then as I had combed hair, checked for spinach in teeth etc. After that had gone home, walked dog and had a really late lunch followed by little nap whilst "researching". No opportunities for face bashing activities.

Still there , faded to brownish so looks like a birthmark, in fact I was out with some pals yesterday and one commented that they had never noticed my birth mark before.

Wednesday evening my partner came home- we've not seen each other for 24hours+ - and said "what have you done to your face?" I was a bit surprised and said "Nothing- why?" well he said "you have a bruise on your right cheek bone, Have you fallen over again?" . I said I had had a minor bump on "but nothing worth making a fuss about." There was some huffing and muttering from him then I went to bed. On washing face, teeth etc I was really surprised to see a distinct round red dish bruise the size of a 5p/ dime on my cheek bone. No pain or tenderness, just a big redd circle.

Thing is, I had an interview Wednesday afternoon after my shift at the vaccination centre and it was not there then as I had combed hair, checked for spinach in teeth etc. After that had gone home, walked dog and had a really late lunch followed by little nap whilst "researching". No opportunities for face bashing activities.

Still there , faded to brownish so looks like a birthmark, in fact I was out with some pals yesterday and one commented that they had never noticed my birth mark before.
Maybe slept in a strange position when you had your nap that caused your face to be marked?

Wednesday evening my partner came home- we've not seen each other for 24hours+ - and said "what have you done to your face?"

I have woken up from sleep with a scrath on my face.

Went after a few days.

My guess was that I had brushed my face with my hand whilst asleep, and has a sharp bit of nail touch my face.

I have woken up from sleep with a scrath on my face.

Went after a few days.

My guess was that I had brushed my face with my hand whilst asleep, and has a sharp bit of nail touch my face.
Not those rats I hope Vic.

We were at the train station earlier in the week and during one of the tannoy announcements there was a glitch. Something along the lines of "The next train from platform 3 is the *screech*six six six *screech* plymouth train.
It was wierd on several levels - nothing that the anouncer said would have needed the word 6, so it wasn't just that the glitch happened as it was said, the word 6 was never mentioned, so it came out of the blue. And the six six six bit sounded really mechanical, in a slightly different tone than the rst of the announcement.

Thankfully it wasn't our train as for some reason, none of us fancied getting that one just in case!

One of the UK's shortest motorways could lose its top tier status to save about £30m, a council has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-59219340

I mention this because it definitely is strange (and would only happen in the UK I suspect.)
''For the last 30 years, this little leftover from one of the earliest motorway projects has been one of the UK's weirdest motorways: not much more than a mile in length, part single carriageway (though still with a 70mph limit), stopping to pass around a roundabout where it meets the M6 and ending on a B-road at a Give Way sign''.

We were at the train station earlier in the week and during one of the tannoy announcements there was a glitch. Something along the lines of "The next train from platform 3 is the *screech*six six six *screech* plymouth train.
It was wierd on several levels - nothing that the anouncer said would have needed the word 6, so it wasn't just that the glitch happened as it was said, the word 6 was never mentioned, so it came out of the blue. And the six six six bit sounded really mechanical, in a slightly different tone than the rst of the announcement.

Thankfully it wasn't our train as for some reason, none of us fancied getting that one just in case!
*nods*

Going-to-hell.jpeg

One of the UK's shortest motorways could lose its top tier status to save about £30m, a council has said.

I mention this because it definitely is strange (and would only happen in the UK I suspect.)
''For the last 30 years, this little leftover from one of the earliest motorway projects has been one of the UK's weirdest motorways: not much more than a mile in length, part single carriageway (though still with a 70mph limit), stopping to pass around a roundabout where it meets the M6 and ending on a B-road at a Give Way sign''.
FIVE bridges!

Ha - we use that road occasionally when out for a meandering drive on a summer day. I never really saw the point of these A roads being designated with as an M. Anachronistic now.

Well the further info from Office of National Statistics arrived yesterday. I am supposed to go on tinternet and complete a survey and I "should" do it. If I don't complete it by 16th November one of their officers will contact me. (quakes in boots). The free gift was one of those shopping bags from recycled stuff with a large advert for ONS on it.

Apart from the invasion of privacy, the fact that these surveys are undertaken by private companies some of whom have very dodgy reputations, it p****s me off that they assume people have access to, and are familiar with the internet, and without fail there is always an accompanying threat of a fine or an "authority" figure contacting you to make you tow the line.

The ONS can go boil their 'eads . Grumpy old git rant over. I feel better for that.:chuckle:
Just had a reminder from the ONS that I only have 3 days to complete the survey form and if I don't their official will contact me. (Peers through curtains trembling). Look forward to a doorstep confrontation which I will gleefully enjoy.

Just had a reminder from the ONS that I only have 3 days to complete the survey form and if I don't their official will contact me. (Peers through curtains trembling). Look forward to a doorstep confrontation which I will gleefully enjoy.
What is this survey about?

Eats lots of garlic for the next few days.

Back