• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I did some washing as a favour for a friend a year or two ago and to my horror, he found a pair of my best M&S apple catchers tangled up with the bedding.
Comforted myself with the thought that while this was mortifying, at least they weren't my gardening pants or my fun pants. :wink2:
You do seem to have a problem losing your pants in what would normally be considered 'none pant-losing situations'.

Had a driver came in shouting the odds about unsafe braking system on his truck,
after a bit of investigation I found the problem, the nicker pinching perve had been
hiding is ill gotten gains under the passenger seat were the breather for the braking
system could suck them in, his perversion near killed him, the language I used in the
later discussion would could have likely made a female pregnant.
:omr:

I did some washing as a favour for a friend a year or two ago and to my horror, he found a pair of my best M&S apple catchers tangled up with the bedding.
Comforted myself with the thought that while this was mortifying, at least they weren't my gardening pants or my fun pants. :wink2:
Fun pants? :thought:

Fun pants? :thought:

clown.jpg

maximus otter

Not long after Techy moved in with me I washed his bedding and found a woman's sock in the duvet. It was a nice sock; pale turquoise and white cotton mix slubbed yarn, my size. Wasn't mine though.

Just the one sock. I still have it and sometimes take it out of my sock drawer and wonder if the owner will ever turn up to collect this sock and the other sock on offer. :mad:
I found a single kid's sock on my way to work once. We had a smoking shed so I nailed it to a wall inside and left some filter tips and loose Rizla in it. Whenever we had someone new start who was scrounging for cigarette papers, we'd all look at each other with serious faces and say "Go to the shed and there you will find the child's sock." then enjoy the WTF reaction.

I found a single kid's sock on my way to work once. We had a smoking shed so I nailed it to a wall inside and left some filter tips and loose Rizla in it. Whenever we had someone new start who was scrounging for cigarette papers, we'd all look at each other with serious faces and say "Go to the shed and there you will find the child's sock." then enjoy the WTF reaction.

Everyone you work with must have HR on speed dial.

maximus otter

No they don't 'crack'....they're too sticky for that.
It's more like the noise you hear when you peel off the protective film from a new kitchen appliance.

Yesterday I had a memory pop into my head of something mildly strange that happened to me and a group of class mates on a school trip to Charnwood forest in the 80s. Hadn’t thought about it in years and then suddenly the memory is there.
I was browsing Reddit this evening and happened upon a post detailing a very similar experience, although this one happened in a different country and in fairly recent times.
(It’s possible I only noticed the similarities between the two because of my long forgotten memory popping back into my head I suppose)

For me a sound, or smell, or vision sets off a past memory some good some bad.

I guess it is like a “ Kodak moment “ to give one the sense of passage of time and help future direction.

So, was your 1980s memory good or bad ?

Ditto Iris and CB's questions, Psychomania1973, please don't be a tease—what happened?
Unless of course it's too personal to share, but you called it mildly strange, and strange just gets our juices flowing!

So, was your 1980s memory good or bad ?
At the time a little scary but not “ poo your pants” - more “well that’s odd”

On a school walking trip in Charnwood forest. Last year of primary school so we were all around 10 or 11. Split into groups of about 5 with one adult to each group. Walking through a barely there path in a densely wooded area when our group all heard a long drawn out growl coming from the undergrowth and bushes right next to the path. Proper horror film hair prickles on the back of your neck growl. Stopped us in our tracks. Strange thing is the woods went completely silent after the growl for about 10 seconds. No birds sounds. No rustling of undergrowth or leaves.
As humans we are hard wired to be scared of growly things that live in woodland so us girlies were quite unnerved by it, including out adult supervisor who insisted it was a fox or deer or something but was clearly on edge and hurried us along the path.
Stuck in my head for years and then somehow I just forgot about it till it popped back up. Then I read a post by a chap who was camping in some woodland in the US and was woken in the night by (you guessed it) a low scary growl just outside his tent that he was too scared to investigate. but then again there Is more growly things that live in nature in the US than in the Midlands of England.

OK. This is both minor and strange, but not in any way spooky - at least, not until I thought about it afterwards.

My work takes me on what are , by UK standards, quite long journeys, mainly on motorways. One of the sadnesses is that, over the last few years, old cars have largely disappeared from the motorways - it's rare that I see anything older than say 1998 except for the odd VW bus. If I do see anything it is a prestige or collectable car like an MG or an old Roller, and those you usually only see in the summer.

Was heading up the M6 last night, and it was its usual Friday evening busy self, with added wet snow. And what do I see plodding along the inside lane but an immaculate baby poo coloured Morris Marina.A base model at that (no vinyl roof, minimal chrome) . I saw it about four more times as traffic slowed and it came steadily past in the slow lane - this is not uncommon when this stretch of motorway is busy, it has a great deal of HGV traffic and no-one wants to get stuck in between all the heavies on the inside lane, especially when the road is slippery. I have seen - on this same stretch of road - what happens when a car gets stuck between a stationary lorry and one that couldn't quite stop in time and it isn't pleasant. None of this bothered Mr Marina, who I got a good look at, a youngish man with a beard. There was a passenger too but I couldn't see his/her face.

Questions arising.

1) Who on earth would take the trouble to preserve a Morris Marina, generally considered to be one of the most embarrassing products of the UK motor industry in its death throes?

2) If you were so deluded, why a base model?

3) If you were just using it for transport because poor and you'd inherited it from your Granny , would you not sell it to a person who could give you a positive answer to question 2 and get something that was actually economical?

4) Assuming you were so fond of Granny you couldn't possibly sell her car but felt obliged to preserve her car for all time, what the heck would you be doing on one of the most dangerous stretches of motorway in the country with your dodgy handling, inadequate brakes, and dim lights? While it is _snowing_? And incidentally the heater is useless as well - I know, my brother used to have one.

Or maybe it was a ghost ;)
The mind boggles. I once overtook three old codgers who were in a three wheeler, driving down the M6. As I overtook them (in a 7.5 tonner) I looked in my mirrors to see what effect the air pressure had on their 'car'. Sure enough they were on the hard shoulder with one heck of a lean/twist going on. I dread to think what happened when the next artic overtook them.

One of the sadnesses is that, over the last few years, old cars have largely disappeared from the motorways - it's rare that I see anything older than say 1998 except for the odd VW bus. If I do see anything it is a prestige or collectable car like an MG or an old Roller, and those you usually only see in the summer.
Older model cars had a disturbing tendency to blow up on long journeys when the motorways first opened. It still worries me to see them on any fast road.
Aren't 3-wheelers banned form motorways? With good reason!

Drivers of vehicles like the two splendid 1920s steamrollers I saw last weekend have the right idea; stick to the quiet roads and just get there in the end. :wink2:

Steamrollers in the snow.jpeg

Yep have a couple that can act as mouth/neck warmers or skull caps under bike helmets depending on how you twist the tube.
This was years ago. I soon learned to make my own head tube/neck gaiter/beanie items and now have a huge and varied collection.
Some are made of Aertex-type or pink sparkly fabric to wear as bug masks for cycling.

My xmas ones will have little Santas on. All i need to do is cut them out and sew them. :wink2:

Back