• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

It's weird though. Half means comparable which means fully. Surely, half hurts means half fully hurt? Half of one is a half and not one. If that makes sense.
I know it's slang but it still does not make sense.

The usage at issue here involves a negative - "doesn't half hurt." When used with such a negative (in British slang) it means "fully." This indicates it's no partial or half-way hurting - it's the whole / full / extreme thing.

Without the negative (i.e., "it half hurts") it would mean "doesn't hurt much; doesn't hurt fully."

Well, of course poking a knife into yourself and not drawing blood doesn't hurt! :dunno:
Plunging the whole 8" blade into your body might give you a more accurate experience, but of course I don't recommend that course of action. Severed flesh, nerves and organs might feel slightly more painful than a light prodding that doesn't break the skin, no?

Also, I have to ask, Have you never cut yourself accidentally on anything, that you really can't imagine what it feels like?

I've (accidentally) stabbed or slashed myself enough to know that it usually doesn't hurt much... at first. And those times, there was blood. Especially when I (accidentally) stabbed myself in the thigh and hit my femoral artery.
Yes, being stabbed hurts. I shouldn't have to tell you that.
:chain:
Yes I have cut myself many times over the years, but that's not the same as being stabbed. Hence my experiment. I haven't even accidentally stabbed myself- you must be more accident prone than I used to be.

The worst one I had lately was when one of those metal wire, washing-up, scourer things had become entangled in something- a cheese grater perhaps and I pulled it away with one hand to try to remove it and the strands of the wire mesh sliced through my finger. That was a very painful and a lot of blood, although it healed very quickly for some reason.

It's weird though. Half means comparable which means fully. Surely, half hurts means half fully hurt? Half of one is a half and not one. If that makes sense.

I know it's slang but it still does not make sense.

I was getting a coffee the other day and the shop keeper, who I know, could not remember if I took sugar or not and he asked me 'do you not take sugar'. How is that answered? 'Yes, I don't take sugar' or 'no, I don't take sugar'. Language can be really strange sometimes. I obviously knew what he meant though.
The American phrase that doesn't half not make no sense is ''I could care less'', where as we say ''I couldn't care less''.

Half of one is a half and not one
Not necessarily. As this riddle proves.

"If it takes 2 men, 2 days to dig 1 hole, how many days does it take 1 man to dig half of 1 hole?"

Well, the answer is that it isn't possible to dig half a hole - there is no such thing. A hole is a hole whatever size it is.

Not necessarily. As this riddle proves.

"If it takes 2 men, 2 days to dig 1 hole, how many days does it take 1 man to dig half of 1 hole?"

Well, the answer is that it isn't possible to dig half a hole - there is no such thing. A hole is a hole whatever size it is.
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

Earlier today I was wondering what it was like to be stabbed, (as I keep reading about such crimes), so I prodded myself with my 8" kitchen knife just to get a 'feel' for what it might be like. I didn't draw blood, but I don't fancy going out that way to be honest. It doesn't half hurt. Try it.

Eh, don't do that, please.

Walking home from the shops last night I was momentarily startled by a sudden loud crack sound something like a cap gun if you remember them - like a very small explosion. It seemed to come from my leading foot as it hit the ground but no spark or anything. There was a group of young guys walking on the other side of the road but they didn’t pay any attention to it.

Out of the blue & a bit odd.

Are there things - firecrackers or something - available which will produce a small crack/explosion when stepped on?

Walking home from the shops last night I was momentarily startled by a sudden loud crack sound something like a cap gun if you remember them - like a very small explosion. It seemed to come from my leading foot as it hit the ground but no spark or anything. There was a group of young guys walking on the other side of the road but they didn’t pay any attention to it.

Out of the blue & a bit odd.

Are there things - firecrackers or something - available which will produce a small crack/explosion when stepped on?
Discarded plastic strapping can make a similar sound when stepped on sometimes.

Caps for toy guns are still being manufactured and sold. The old style (strip) caps could be exploded with a decisive enough blow. It took a pretty strenuous footfall to set them off. Newer caps are formulated to be triggered by shock, and (so I'm told ... ) they are more easily fired off by footfalls.

Bubble wrap or similar materials that enclose trapped air or gas pockets can also be burst by the weight of a footfall.

I vaguely recall some sort of granular (crystalline) powder that would crackle or pop owing to chemical action if you stepped on it. It's been decades since I heard about this, and I haven't been able to track down a more specific description.

Some small granular materials (e.g., crystalline stuff like rock salt) and fine-grained packing materials will snap or pop if you step on them and crush the granules / beads / chunks / whatever.

The American phrase that doesn't half not make no sense is ''I could care less'', where as we say ''I couldn't care less''.
"Doesn't half not make no sense"??? Where the $#%@!! does that come from?

The old style (strip) caps could be exploded with a decisive enough blow. It took a pretty strenuous footfall to set them off.
Take my word, a good steel hammer will do the trick.

Caps for toy guns are still being manufactured and sold. The old style (strip) caps could be exploded with a decisive enough blow. It took a pretty strenuous footfall to set them off. Newer caps are formulated to be triggered by shock, and (so I'm told ... ) they are more easily fired off by footfalls.

Bubble wrap or similar materials that enclose trapped air or gas pockets can also be burst by the weight of a footfall.

I vaguely recall some sort of granular (crystalline) powder that would crackle or pop owing to chemical action if you stepped on it. It's been decades since I heard about this, and I haven't been able to track down a more specific description.

Some small granular materials (e.g., crystalline stuff like rock salt) and fine-grained packing materials will snap or pop if you step on them and crush the granules / beads / chunks / whatever.
Ah yes the bubble wrap thing. A dog I had would go into some sort of frenzy when he saw this stuff. Would bounce up and down on it and then run away and hide when it popped. Still he would do it though.

Nitrogen triiodide. Very popular at my school. (lf you were on the delivery end.)

maximus otter

Yes.
"Fun Snaps", popular when I was a kid (1970s), came in a little cardboard box, with some sawdust to stop them (presumably) 'going off' by crushing each other. The packaging seemed dated even then, and I assume they are still available nowadays as I was visiting my son in Didcot just before Christmas and some 'youths' were enjoying chucking them around in the town centre.
Each one was a small measure of crystals in a crinkly, thin paper 'wrap'.
You could throw them at a hard surface (individually) and they would detonate in a loud bang/snap sound, or if they were just placed on the ground they would 'go off' if trodden on.
We would also carefully sellotape them to the inside edges of door or drawer shuts so that they would 'pop' when closed firmly, surprising the victim.
1641728661587.png

Yes.
"Fun Snaps", popular when I was a kid (1970s), came in a little cardboard box, with some sawdust to stop them (presumably) 'going off' by crushing each other. The packaging seemed dated even then, and I assume they are still available nowadays as I was visiting my son in Didcot just before Christmas and some 'youths' were enjoying chucking them around in the town centre.
You could throw them at a hard surface (individually) and they would detonate in a loud bang/snap sound, or if they were just placed on the ground they would 'go off' if trodden on.
We would also carefully sellotape them to the inside edges of door or drawer shuts so that they would 'pop' when closed firmly, surprising the victim.
View attachment 50468
Reckon that's more than likely it.

I always heard that being stabbed feels like being punched, at first. That you don't always realise you've been stabbed until someone sees the blood.
Indeed. Survivors of a stabbing have even been known to say 'He/she hit me with the knife!' as if they can hardly believe what really happened.

Yes.

View attachment 50468
I can remember these from my school days (also 'flick combs'). I've not come across them since...until the wife bought about a dozen boxes for our two boys' stockings this Christmas. Now she's blaming Santa every time a poor member of the public gets the fright of their lives! I've thrown one or two myself though :eek:)

I think it has to do with when the air hits the damaged tissue - that's when it starts to hurt. If a stab wound is small this might take a while.
If the knife is sharp and the nerves have gone into shock, then pain often doesn't start for a while. Likewise, I broke both arms simultaneously once, and I could see they were broken but they were both completely numb for about twenty minutes. It gave me time to get home and get help before the pain kicked in - I think any kind of trauma can send the body into shock that means the pain takes a while to get through.

When I had my (previously described) bicycle accident I was unaware of any of the injuries until about 2 hours later in the x-ray department at the hospital.
"Can you put your arm up like this?"
"Ouch....no....no I can't"

If the knife is sharp and the nerves have gone into shock, then pain often doesn't start for a while. Likewise, I broke both arms simultaneously once, and I could see they were broken but they were both completely numb for about twenty minutes. It gave me time to get home and get help before the pain kicked in - I think any kind of trauma can send the body into shock that means the pain takes a while to get through.
Yup, can remember several times seeing some injury I'd just incurred and thinking 'Well any minute now that's REALLY gonna hurt!'

You are Superwoman!

Very Minor Strangeness of a silly and by now trite kind:
This social media site, S_____ G_____ (as they used to say in the old Victorian novels), is now officially demonic.
Social Media of the Beast.png

Back