• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Adding a staple gun to the inventory of 'scargs "things I carry around with me".........you'll soon be wearing 2 utility belts instead of just the one.

Is that what you told the arresting officer?
I have a great deal of trouble with clothes these last few years; trousers that won't stay up no matter how tight I do up my belt, holes appearing in footwear after about two weeks, socks that leave bits of fluff all all over the place for the first month, then just as that eases, they get holes in them, buttons that fall off after the first wash..........

I have a great deal of trouble with clothes these last few years; trousers that won't stay up no matter how tight I do up my belt, holes appearing in footwear after about two weeks, socks that leave bits of fluff all all over the place for the first month, then just as that eases, they get holes in them, buttons that fall off after the first wash..........

Oh, I totally believe you @Floyd1, and I sympathise. I'm just saying that when it gets to court...

And ridiculously expensive designer clothing that pills after the first wash, shrinks even when you wash in cold water and hang on a clothesline to dry, questionable fabrics, crooked seams, and I'll order two pairs of jeans in the same size, different colors - one fits, the other doesn't.
Meanwhile, the clothing designers are happily making their millions off us..........

And ridiculously expensive designer clothing that pills after the first wash, shrinks even when you wash in cold water and hang on a clothesline to dry, questionable fabrics, crooked seams, and I'll order two pairs of jeans in the same size, different colors - one fits, the other doesn't.
Meanwhile, the clothing designers are happily making their millions off us..........
And that's another thing. In the good old days you could buy a pair of trou in the size you required and they'd fit. Now one pair at say 34'' waist, is a different size to another pair with the same labelling.

This is why I started carrying a staple gun.
I once developed an unfortunate hole in the seat of my trousers one morning back when I was teaching. They were black wool, so I cut a piece of black sugar paper slightly larger than the hole and sellotaped it into place whilst hiding in my classroom store cupboard. It lasted long enough for me to get home without knicker-flashing incident!

My wife bought me a pair of braces as a joke two Christmas's ago and I thought I'd try them - they are brilliant, hold trousers up with none of that belt thing digging in when you sit down.
Yes, they might be the way forward G. And if they were good enough for the Krays, there must be something to them. Here's another query; is there a certain age when a man should stop wearing jeans?

I once developed an unfortunate hole in the seat of my trousers one morning back when I was teaching. They were black wool, so I cut a piece of black sugar paper slightly larger than the hole and sellotaped it into place whilst hiding in my classroom store cupboard. It lasted long enough for me to get home without knicker-flashing incident!
Or you could have just left it and been the best teacher ever (which I'm sure you were anyway). Just thinking through the penis eyes, of 14 year old me.

My new issue work kegs're immense. I'd asked for a size up but these ones're like clown pants.
As I can't wear belts it was looking like @Giant R's braces or the staple gun. :thought:

My solution was to sew strips of wide elastic around inside the kegs until they began staying up. Works well, flattering in fact. :)

This hasn't solved the falling knickers problem of course.

My new issue work kegs're immense. I'd asked for a size up but these ones're like clown pants.
As I can't wear belts it was looking like @Giant R's braces or the staple gun. :thought:

My solution was to sew strips of wide elastic around inside the kegs until they began staying up. Works well, flattering in fact. :)

This hasn't solved the falling knickers problem of course.
You could try two sets of braces:chuckle:

Yes, they might be the way forward G. And if they were good enough for the Krays, there must be something to them. Here's another query; is there a certain age when a man should stop wearing jeans?
They are surprisingly comfortable. Don't get red ones though -Rock on Tommy...

My late father wore jeans to the end of his life; baggy paint-spattered ones, held up by wide red braces patterned with a jaunty 'hand tools' print. :)

A couple of years ago the two willow trees in the garden of the house opposite (which is partly built on what used to be the village pond) were massively chopped. One was taken down altogether, and I don't blame them, the trees were huge and must have blocked most of the light, plus a bit rickety. The other was given a big pruning. It's starting to resprout, but this gives it the scariest outline, especially at night. Now I know why kids take random dislikes to things and get random fears, this tree is beginning to look rather 'fingery', and the way it faces my house makes me feel as though it's watching me, through the branches of the (more attractive) trees which have been planted on the green (which used to be the pond).
willowtree.jpg

A couple of years ago the two willow trees in the garden of the house opposite (which is partly built on what used to be the village pond) were massively chopped. One was taken down altogether, and I don't blame them, the trees were huge and must have blocked most of the light, plus a bit rickety. The other was given a big pruning. It's starting to resprout, but this gives it the scariest outline, especially at night. Now I know why kids take random dislikes to things and get random fears, this tree is beginning to look rather 'fingery', and the way it faces my house makes me feel as though it's watching me, through the branches of the (more attractive) trees which have been planted on the green (which used to be the pond).
View attachment 51825
I do like an Anglian interlocking pantile though. And why did they fill the village pond in?

Those willow trees look fairly close to houses.
I was always told that it is a bad idea to remove willow trees anywhere near houses as they have a large root system which extends out considerably, and the removal of a willow tree will cause the roots that are left behind to rot away which can cause subsidence.

I do like an Anglian interlocking pantile though. And why did they fill the village pond in?
All our roofs are like that out here. They filled the pond in because it was no longer needed for the cattle to drink from and it was shallow, boggy and dirty. Apparently. It was filled in donkey's years ago, before the war.
Those willow trees look fairly close to houses.
I was always told that it is a bad idea to remove willow trees anywhere near houses as they have a large root system which extends out considerably, and the removal of a willow tree will cause the roots that are left behind to rot away which can cause subsidence.
Fortunately they are nowhere near my house. They're not as close as they look to the other houses, there's a big garden between them and the building, but they had proper Tree Men in to do the removal, and treat the stump that was left and all that. So I presume everyone knew what they were doing.

I presume everyone knew what they were doing.
Don't bet on it.

I had a friend years ago who worked for a Tree Surgery company. One of his jobs was to operate the 'stump grinder' (used to remove tree stumps from the ground after a tree has been felled).
He knew nothing about trees etc, and was barely competent enough to operate machinery.
One time he got sent to Chiswick High Street at night to remove the stump of a tree that had been felled earlier that day.
He managed to put the cutting blades straight through the local mains electric cable, which resulted in a small fire, a visit from the old bill, the fire brigade AND the ambulance service (just in case) along with a power outage in the whole area for several hours until the electric company could get on site and fix it.

Don't bet on it.

I had a friend years ago who worked for a Tree Surgery company. One of his jobs was to operate the 'stump grinder' (used to remove tree stumps from the ground after a tree has been felled).
He knew nothing about trees etc, and was barely competent enough to operate machinery.
One time he got sent to Chiswick High Street at night to remove the stump of a tree that had been felled earlier that day.
He managed to put the cutting blades straight through the local mains electric cable, which resulted in a small fire, a visit from the old bill, the fire brigade AND the ambulance service (just in case) along with a power outage in the whole area for several hours until the electric company could get on site and fix it.
These guys were here for several days doing whatever. But, as the tree is nowhere near my property, I shall just watch with interest.

Back