• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Misidentified Unidentified Flying Object?

bc4299

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just a question that hit me while I was trying to figure out how to tie the velcro fasteners on my shoes:

A moron and a normal person see what appears to the normal person to be a jet in the sky. The moron, who doesn't know much of anything, doesn't know what it is and declares it to be a UFO while the normal person declares it to be a jet. Later it turns out the object really was a plane so the normal person's identification of a identified flying object was incorrect thereby rendering their original observation to be in hindsight a misidentified identified flying object while the moron's observation remains the same, a unidentified flying object which may be misidentified. Anyway, given the facts, both people originally must have seen a unidentified flying object and as such identified the object as being a unidentified flying object and therefore both knew what it was and were both correct, weren't they? :gaga:

PS: I told him it wasn't something called a jet!

You given the decaff a try yet?

You can argue semantically that all flying objects are unidentified until they become identified, be it a split second before recognition as a jet/ weather balloon / Venus / marsh gas etc, or after months of painstaking research.

About 95% of UFOs are misidentified identifiable flying objects. What we're interested in here are the remaining 5%.

But ..... if a flying object is identified as a unidentified flying object it is no longer unidentified but still could be if it were misidentified as a unidentified flying object unless, of course, it weren't flying at all ... right?

PS: Nope ..... no decaf. I was gonna buy some decaf coffee til I realized that they charge you more for removing it. Anyway, not wanting to pay more for something less, I decided to get some fat-free chocolate milk instead and wound up getting arrested after getting into a fight with cashier over the price of the fatless chocolate milk. I accused her of being a part of a conspiracy to rip off the consumer by removing parts of products, charging us more and most likely selling the removed parts elsewhere at a 100% profit! Anyway, I would have whooped her but she tripped me up with her walker and damned near asphyxiated me with the stench of peri-wash.

Maxwell House do a nice one :). Same price as caffeinated, or less if you shop around..

To answer your point (if that's what it was), the object in question would then be confirmed as an Unidentified Flying Object.

That's the ones that interest us, you see. At least on this bit of the forum - unidentified non-flying objects are just unidentified objects, and as such tend to end up in General Forteana or, if very old, in Earth Mysteries.

In which case archaeologists (sic) would have identified them as "Ritual Objects", and put them in a glass case.

(edited for typos, and in response to the above edit)

So, you're saying that one can't identify an unidentified but can confirm that what can't be identified actually is unidentified as unidentified? - I still say it's now been identified! How's about, let's say, a unidentified flying object identifies another unidentified flying object as a confirmed identification of a unidentifiable flying object ..... can they actually be or do they cancel eachother out ..... Hey! ..... maybe that's why they seem to just "blink out" a lot of the time?

PS: You don't have to answer, gotta go watch my comb grow anyway ..... PEACE, LOVE AND GUMMY WORMS FOR EVERYONE EXCEPT FANNY FARFEL! :)

bc, you're talking yourself round in circles ... :spinning

if you were walking home one day and something flew by you and you said "what was that?" that is a UFO. If later on you see on the news something about a model aeroplane running amok in your town, it's now an IFO (Identified Flying Object). In the absence of any such news item, and forever after you are searching to find out what that was that flew by you that day it stays a UFO. You may well discern that it was not an aeroplane of any type, it was not a bird, it was not a cloud, it was not swamp gas reflecting the light from Venus etc etc. it's a UFO. That does not however indicate that it was an alien spacecraft or any similar other-worldly object what flew past your ear ...

LobeliaOverhill said:
...That does not however indicate that it was an alien spacecraft or any similar other-worldly object what flew past your ear ...

Yup! .... not saying it was anything alien and/or other-wordly. Just saying that the unidentified flying object was identified as a unidentified flying object therefore it is no longer a unidentified flying object because it has been identified ..... so what is it if we now know that we don't know what it is but do or don't know what it is or isn't either other than an identified unidentified flying object!

bc42 said:
Yup! .... not saying it was anything alien and/or other-wordly. Just saying that the unidentified flying object was identified as a unidentified flying object

It's been identified as unidentified. Its unidentifiedness has been identified.

I just think you're taking the p*ss. :D

Back