• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing Book!

linesmachine

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm kinda cheating here because, although a book of mine has genuinely gone missing, there is little reason to believe anything paranormal is to blame. My purpose for this post is to locate another copy, the problem being that I cannot remember much about the book, it's title or author. So I wondered if I might describe it in an effort for a fellow Fortean to name it.

For those that care, here's the back story to how I originally got the book, if you just want the description of the book skip to the next paragraph. Back in 1999 I was working in a pub over the summer Uni break in Cardiff. This one to be exact http://www.screampubs.co.uk/gassy-jacks-cardiff although it was a run down Firkin when I worked there. This is a student pub, which means that druing the summer holidays it is DEAD. I and one other guy ran the joint in the summer of 1999, which basically meant we sat at the end of the bar reading and drinking...all day. There was a second hand book shop opposite which was very handy. And one day this kid came in declaring himself to be a painter from the US. He drank Guinnes and Cider, a half of each at the same time. It was weird. But everyday at the same time he came in and read with us for about a month. And one day he left a book with me. This is what the book was about...from what I recall.

Book plot: One of the oddest things about this book is that I cannot recall if it was fact or fiction. There were some photographs in it, and some news paper clipping type shots. Here's what happens in the book. There's a family who live in a very remote part of wales. One day a flying saucer follows them home in fact I seem to recall this happens several times. There is some shenanigans going on the night, cows go missing I think? But then one day two weird guys in suits turn up at the door, and the person who opens the door knows very early on that these guys aren't human. The book was from about the 70s or 80s I think, although the events described happened in the 60s or 70s.

Any ideas?

If it was based on a true account, the basic story might be included in Jenny Randle's The Truth Behind Men in Black. Finding it summarized elsewhere would at least give you more details for a search

I sympathize. I've been looking for years for a book that includes a particular ghost story and can't find it. It was probably a one-off that was published locally.

Gwenar said:
...I sympathize. I've been looking for years for a book that includes a particular ghost story and can't find it. It was probably a one-off that was published locally.

Have you asked around? We love that kind of challenge here.

Sounds very like a book I used to have, called (I think) the Dyfed Triangle, about a UFO flap in west Pembokeshire.

The book may be Peter Paget's "The Welsh Triangle"
There's another book about the Welsh Triangle - The Dyfed Enigma, by Randall Jones Pugh.

(But your copy was obviously taken by the Men in Black! ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Spookdaddy said:
Gwenar said:
...I sympathize. I've been looking for years for a book that includes a particular ghost story and can't find it. It was probably a one-off that was published locally.

Have you asked around? We love that kind of challenge here.

Not to derail linesmachine's post, but...

I'd ask, but it's not set in the UK and if I haven't found it here, I'm not likely to find it there. It's too good and too well written to be overlooked in similar local ghost story collections. I've even asked about it in the town where part of it is supposed to take place, and while they have a lot of local ghost stories, no one's heard of it. I suspect it was an Ambrose Bierce story passed off as true.

I should see if the library has a compilation of Bierce. Are there any other late 19th / early 20th century authors similar to him? You know, that tell complicated supernatural "true" tales with a twist.

rynner2 said:
The flap is discussed in part here:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 60#1240960

(But your copy was obviously taken by the Men in Black! ;) )

Ok, so Rynner gets 1000 points. In the thread (linked to above by Rynner) OldRover talks about the book "The Uninvited" (by a guy called Clive Harold it appears), which relates to the Coombs families experiences in the late 70s. That's definitely the book. Didn't truly think I'd find it, but well done everyone. Now off to purchase a copy.

Good old eBay have several copies going for three quid delivered. C'est une bargain marche.

Back