• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missouri Woman Catches STD In Car. Auto Insurance To pay Out $5.2 Million

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The Missouri Court of Appeals has affirmed that an insurance company must pay a $5.2 million settlement granted to a Jackson County woman who claimed she unwittingly caught a sexually transmitted disease from her former romantic partner in his car.

In an opinion issued Tuesday, a three-judge panel found that the judgment entered against GEICO General Insurance Company through earlier arbitration proceedings was valid. The insurance companies sought to undo the action, claiming errors were made in Jackson County Circuit Court and the settlement agreement was not done in line with Missouri law.

According to court papers, the woman, identified in court records only as M.O., notified GEICO in February 2021 of her intention to seek monetary damages, alleging she contracted HPV, the human papillomavirus, from an insured member in his automobile. She contended the man caused her to be infected with the STD despite being aware of his condition and the risks of unprotected sex.

The insurance company declined the settlement, sending the case to arbitration.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...-insurance-to-pay-out-2452-million/ar-AAYcmV3

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Why didn't this woman simply sue the man who gave her this disease, what did the car have to do with it?
Am I missing something.

The man's auto insurance would have included liability protection for injuries / damages. She notified the insurance company she was going to seek damages for the infection because it happened in the vehicle. The really weird (and unexplained) bit in all this is that the insurance company apparently declined a settlement offered by the plaintiff, and this sent the matter to arbitration. Unless the insured driver carried some notably extravagant liability coverage, I can't figure out how arbitration could have resulted in the insurance company being charged to pay more than the amount of liability coverage specified in his policy.

$5.2 million dollars for an STD??
Wow, I can see millions of women checking out their situation, maybe some men too.........LOL

Great, now insurance will charge a premium on cars with reclining seats or spacious back seats, invitation to sexytime those things are!

Why not go the full hog and claim that you caught VD &/or got preggers from an unknown male person, who sat on the bog before you, while traveling on an areoplane?. Or has that already been done?

Last edited:
Great, now insurance will charge a premium on cars with reclining seats or spacious back seats, invitation to sexytime those things are!

I can just imagine the questions on 'Compare the market/meerkat' now...

How many times a year do you have sex in the back of your car?
Do your front seats recline?
How often do you park in local dogging spots?

I know people who've been quite badly injured in car crashes and gotten nowhere near that in compensation. HPV is pretty common too!

The man's auto insurance would have included liability protection for injuries / damages. She notified the insurance company she was going to seek damages for the infection because it happened in the vehicle. The really weird (and unexplained) bit in all this is that the insurance company apparently declined a settlement offered by the plaintiff, and this sent the matter to arbitration. Unless the insured driver carried some notably extravagant liability coverage, I can't figure out how arbitration could have resulted in the insurance company being charged to pay more than the amount of liability coverage specified in his policy.
I believe that an award is not limited to the insurance available - the excess is due from the insured - but this is very strange. Human HPV although unpleasant normally cures itself within two years. It's just not that serious. Rarely it develops into cancer, so perhaps that was the situation here. The supreme court decision had to do with process issues around the previous legal action (did Geico actually have to cover it) and did not relate to the reasonableness of the complaint or the award. Edit - and come to think of it, how could she prove that it was actually from him? There are some facts and circumstances not being reported (and not sure I want to know.)

So she accuses him of deliberately infecting her? That's going to come down to whether or not he wore a condom then - and I thought 'stealthing' (ie, pretending to put on a condom and not, or taking it off during sex) was an actual crime anyway in the US?

So why not go after him for that, rather than bring the car into it?

So she accuses him of deliberately infecting her? That's going to come down to whether or not he wore a condom then - and I thought 'stealthing' (ie, pretending to put on a condom and not, or taking it off during sex) was an actual crime anyway in the US?

So why not go after him for that, rather than bring the car into it?
Not a crime per se.

Not a crime per se.
Oh right. I've probably just been overexposed to Reddit, where they regard pretending to put on a condom and then not, as rape.

Oh right. I've probably just been overexposed to Reddit, where they regard pretending to put on a condom and then not, as rape.
Not in the US. In some states it may be a crime not to tell someone that you have an STD but I've never heard of a law regarding condom-pretense. There might however be support for filing a civil suit.

Back