• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mistletoe & Folklore: Strictly A Celtic Thing?

Beakmoo

Justified & Ancient
It's common to see huge colonies of mistletoe on trees in France and, as I've just been informed, Poland as well. Presumably they don't gather it like we do? Does it mean anything in any other countries or is it just a Celtic tradition?

Pop culture reference I know, but didn't the druid Getafix gather mistletoe with his golden sickle in the Asterix books from France?

Try 'The Golden Bough' by Sir James Frazer. If the answer to your question will be anywhere, it will be there.

Dug out my copy of 'The Golden Bough'. The Norse god Balder was said to have been slain by a branch of misteltoe and burnt in a fire. Pliny also writes that it was prized in medecine. the Aino of Japan also hold it in high esteem and view it as medecine. I will read more when I am not drinking.

gncxx said:
Pop culture reference I know, but didn't the druid Getafix gather mistletoe with his golden sickle in the Asterix books from France?

Yes but they were Celts too, hence the druids.

oldrover said:
gncxx said:

Yes but they were Celts too, hence the druids.

I think that was gncxx's point. The Gauls were a Celtic people in Europe. The opening post suggests that Celts were a British people. But, I'm not certain modern historians still see those people practicing "Celtic" customs and using "Celtic" languages as separate from other peoples in Western Europe. I think the transition to what we now regard as Celtic was more of a cultural progression, perhaps influenced by a mixing of cultures. So, the mistletoe reaping tradition could have originated from all sorts of places.

The kissing beneath the mistletoe tradition took a modern twist in 2014, when the TGI Fridays casual dining chain experimented with flying drones dangling mistletoe inside its restaurants.
TGI Fridays Has Dispatched Mistletoe-Carrying Drones in Restaurants

There’s already been one collision between drone and human

TGI Fridays unrolled a bit of holiday geekery earlier this month: mistletoe-carrying drones. The flying bots hover over potentially romantic customers' heads in an attempt to encourage traditional smooches, NY Daily News reports. If the couples comply, the drone takes a photo and projects it onto a large screen set up in the restaurant.

The drones, however, aren't necessarily welcome bringers of love and good cheer for all they visit. As one customer attested to NY Daily News: "Some people might be on a date with their side chick and wouldn't want their face up on the screen. I'm keeping it PG."

Additionally, there has also been at least one drone-on-face collision since the project launched. Brooklyn Daily photographer Georgine Benvenuto—on assignment to report on the mistletoe drones—says the robot attempted to land on her head but as a result "took off part of my nose and cut me here, right under my chin." TGI Fridays said that was an isolated incidence, and that the accident resulted because Benvenuto moved her head.

SOURCE: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...tletoe-carrying-drones-restaurants-180953567/

Here's a more detailed article about the drone / face collision incident ...
DRONE STRIKE! OUR PHOTOGRAPHER INJURED BY TGI FRIDAY’S MISTLETOE COPTER

Turns out a moment of awkwardness wasn’t the worst that could happen when a popular family restaurant chain unleashed indoor aircraft with the mission of prompting diners to kiss on camera.

TGI Friday’s much-hyped “Mobile Mistletoe” drones drew first blood in their New York City debut on Dec. 4 at the chain’s beloved Sheepshead Bay location when one of them hit our intrepid photographer right in the face.

The two remote-controlled helicopters dangling sprigs of mistletoe were intended to spread holiday romance, but one of them flew out of control and clipped Courier photographer Georgine Benvenuto in the nose with one of its spinning, uncovered blades. ...

“It literally chipped off a tip of my nose,” said Benvenuto, using tissues to stanch the blood. “It took off part of my nose and cut me here, right under my chin.” ...

FULL STORY: https://www.brooklynpaper.com/drone-strike-our-photographer-injured-by-tgi-fridays-mistletoe-copter/

These introductory passages from an article about mistletoe's evolution mention multiple sources for its connections with folklore and traditions.

Baldur, grandson of the Norse god Thor, woke up one morning certain that each and every plant and animal on earth wanted to kill him. His mother consoled him. His wife consoled him, but all to no avail. As Baldur cowered in his room, half-wild with fear, his mother and wife decided to ask every living thing to leave their poor Baldur in peace. They begged the kindness of the oak tree, the pig, the cow, the crow, the ant and even the worm. Each agreed. Then, as Baldur paused to celebrate his release from torment, he felt a pain in his chest. He had been stabbed and killed by an arrow made from the wood of a mistletoe plant. Mistletoe was the one species on earth his wife and mother had failed to notice.

Baldur died, but a lesson was learned: Never forget about the mistletoe. Mistletoe would come to hang over our doors as a reminder to never forget. We kiss beneath it to remember what Baldur’s wife and mother forgot. At least that is one version of the origin of our relationship with mistletoe.

Another story begins with druids who viewed the mistletoe as magical and hung it above their doors for luck. Others say it is hung for fertility; the seeds of mistletoe are sticky like semen. The modern story of mistletoe is one of kisses. As Washington Irving wrote in the 1800s, “young men have the privilege of kissing the girls under [mistletoe], plucking each time a berry from the bush. When the berries are all plucked the privilege ceases." ...

Mistletoe: The Evolution of a Christmas Tradition
FULL STORY: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...-evolution-of-a-christmas-tradition-10814188/

Back