• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Modern Neighbourhood Jacks

A

Anonymous

One of my strongest interests in things Fortean is the relatively little reported "Neighbourhood Jacks". Spring-Heeled Jack is a well-known Victorian character, but I'm more interested in the modern day variety that appear, somewhat disturbingly, in suburbia. Close approximations could be the paedophile hysteria of recent years, or the Bogus Social Worker phenomenon. However I'm most interested in reports of strange characters that appear in neighbourhoods from time to time, creating undue fear and anxiety, that usually have very strange appearances or characteristics. Needless to say, they are also never caught. Most people never see them either, though are warned either by local police, neighbours or schools to be on the lookout.

One example that comes to mind was of a police sketch circulated to every home on a particular estate, of a man who was supposedly prowling the local area and wanted for assault on a local person. The drawing was extremely unusual as the 'suspect' had what can best be described as mad staring eyes, very usual clothing, an odd-looking hat, and an appearance that was threatening because it was so strange.

Any similar experiences are welcome.

We had one of those in Ellon, near Aberdeen. the report was of a man seen talking to kids walking through the local woods. He was described as haveing a distinctive 'Mexican' Moustache and walking a dog. A golden Labrador, or Retriever, I think.

Cujo
(he was either never caught or he turned out to be perfectly innocuous because the stories just stoped)

We could expand this thread a little... everywhere seems to have its own local weirdo...any good examples?

I remember reading that thing about local 'Jacks' in FT about four or five years ago.... I never mentioned this to anyone but at the time the description of the 'Jack' in Ft 'pointed face, wooly hat pulled down close over the fore head, large staring eyes and strange smell' reminded me of someone I used to see in the Chatham area..

At the time I was a student and had a part time job in the food checkouts at M&S and there was this chap who used to come in early in the morning a couple of times a week - he fitted the description exactly, with one additional detail - he had really long finger nails !

It would always happen that he would come to pay at my till, he never, ever spoke and would always touch my hand with his horrible long fingernails whenever I gave him his change ... The last time I saw him though was when he walked past the front door of my house ( I was really scared !) and on up the road - neve to be seen again !

Back