• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Money From Out Of The Blue (Cash Found Or Unexpectedly Received)

What a little sh*t though!

The money spell I was given recently is working, my bank balance is creeping up........

Finding money in library books is a common experience. When I worked as a library manager people would regularly use tenners as bookmarks....the most we ever found was £200 inside a crime novel placed there by the last borrower who was in the habit of hiding money and credit cards in books before she went on hoilday. I also found lots of naughty magazines and once a whole series of photos that chronicled some chaps night with a prostitute. You know, I really miss working in a library................

I can't believe I did this, but it's true-

Brits will remember Gillian Taylforth, a soap actress who was caught doing mouth naughties with her chap on a motorway slip road. Well, a friend and I very maturely made a working model of this act out of card and a magazine photo and after making ourselves laugh all afternoon with it, I, er, hid it in a library book and forgot about it...
(Later it was like the video scene in 'Trainspotters'.
'Returned it? RETURNED IT?? You've f*ckin RETURNED it?' etc.)

I always seem to receive money, out of the blue, when I need it most. I once found a pensioners handbag on my front wall, it had everything in it, money, credit card, pension book, id, etc. We gave it back to her. We didn't even get a thank you out of it.

It's very rude of people not to say thank you. Pensioners should know better, being the section of society most given to moaning about, well, everything in general.

(I'm normally a polite person but rudeness in others makes me angry very quickly. The other week I was waiting patiently in a shop while the assistant adjusted the till. When she finished she turned to serve me but an old woman shoved in front of me and said, 'I think you'll find I was here first!' So I said loudly, 'Serve her first, dear, she'll be dead soon!' How very mature of me.)

Yup!!! I know what you mean escargot!!!!

There I was in my local chemist, waiting for my prescription for painkillers, (the sort that are hand written in words & figures, if you follow what I mean), an elderly lady drops her walking stick & demands that I pick it up for her. I try & explain, that if I get down, there ain't gonn'a be no getting up & I get a mouthfull of abuse.

The lady behind the counter is on the ball & loudly asks for the pharmacist to hurry up with my painkillers, BUT, while everyone else in the chemist's seems to understand, I still get an earfull from this OAP, in respect of the younger generation.

Oh pox on her!!!!

If it helps, I can remember an elderly (seventy plus), volunteer driver getting crap from OAP's younger than herself & children who are OAP's & who could do with home helps themselves, being abused by even older parents: "I know them, they were born tired....children are always young enough to beat..." etc. etc.

Yes, there are some great OAP's, but aren't there some really nasty ones?

Don't worry, they do die off eventually.

I made my teenage kids laugh with stories of how when I was their age, if a young man were standing with his hands in his pockets, an old bloke would appear from nowhere and order him to 'stand properly', and the young bloke always obeyed!

I work with elderly people a lot and while most are gracious, many are obnoxious. The best way to deal with the rude old codger you described would be to simply turn your back.

Having said all this, some OAPs come across as rude and aggressive because they are deaf and get frustrated when people don't understand.

....And escargot, don't forget to tell them about boys being sent home from school, because their hair was too long....I see that recently kids have been sent home because they've done a "Beckham" & their hair is too short!!!!!

In fifty years I would have thought them damned schools could have got their act together!!!!!

When I were a lass at an all-girls' school, trousers were a total no-no.
When a couple of girls turned up to see a school performance in the then trendy and extremely smart trouser suits, they were sent to the changing rooms to put on their PE skirts!!!
What surprises me now is that they didn't say, 'stuff your stupid Gilbert & Sullivan!' and slope off to the pub! How very controlling schools were of kids, especially girls, back then in the Cro-Magnon early 70s.

finding money

This was related to me by my best friend,in the late 70's my mate was on his way to NSW university waiting with a mate for the bus.They hear police sirens going over an overpass chasing a car.Out of the car comes a briefcase onto the ground at the bottom of the overpass,well his mate ever the lawyer he is now,runs and picks up the brief case and is just in time for the bus.Skipping lectures they head for the students union open the brief case to find $3000 cash and 4 oz of black hash.Lectures cancelled for the month.

1. Have I ever lost a large amount of money? No, because (*sob*) I've never had a large amount of money.

2. Have I ever found a large amount of money? (See 1 above)

:(

Not money - but I have a pal who was backpacking around Europe with his girlfriend a few years back and ended up in Portugal with not a lot of cash. They were looking for low cost accomodation and following their guide book got on a bus to a seedier part of the town they were in. The bus was empty and my friend notices a big padded envelope under the seat in front. Of course, he picked it up and stashed it in his bag for later reference. They arrived at the said cheap B&B hostel and it seemed to be a very rough establishment indeed. 'Time to open the envelope' they thought. Inside they found a movie-style bag of WHITE POWDER!!! About a kilo of the stuff....

For everyone thinking 'What a find', 'I wish...', 'Instant fortune', etc. Think for a second about the situation - English folks, little local language, rough end of town, big bag of expensive looking drugs - someone elses expensive looking drugs! He looked out of the window and saw the usual range of dodgy looking characters hanging around on street corners that you would see in any rough end of town late in the evening. Paranoia set in and he imagined gangs of armed thugs bursting in to exact revenge for the thwarted drugs-money exchange.

What did he do? He flushed the lot without even tasting it.... Better to be safe than sorry! Of course, the thugs never appeared.

I'd love to know what the aforementioned thugs would have done had they burst into the room only to discover that he'd flushed their deal down the lav?

:cool:

I have had the good fortune not to lose large sums of cash. And the good fortune not to find any!

A friend of mine, though, once experienced a beautiful windfall. On a lovely spring morning he let his dog out to do what dogs need to do, and several minutes later the animal returned with a paper bag in its mouth. Upon examination it was discovered to be full of pot! All of us being broke and in our early 20s it was magnificent to see our pal stroll into the club, handing out joints.

Whatta guy.

David kellaher,convicted of international heroin smuggling ,burried $12 million Aussie dollars and a kilo of pure heroin in the National Park at Sydneys northern edge.It was supposed to be for a rainy day,hell need it,he got 25 years.

One Easter my parents, sister and myself went up to Scotland for Easter.

During this stay it was my 10th birthday and my parents had brought some cards from relatives for me to open on the day which contained a total of £10. I put this in my body warmer and kept it there nice and safe in a deep pocket.

The day was very windy and I distinctly remember my dad telling me make sure I was careful not to let my money fall out. However, I can remember not being able to feel the money in my pocket, then finding more money on the floor within 5 minutes and then finding the original money still in my pocket - I ended up with more money than before!!

weird to me anyways

Lost and found

I used to work in our local corner shop, and I did a favour for one of our regulars while he was ill by walking his dog for him, every day for about a week.
He came into the shop at the end of the week, and gave me a pen, of the biro sort which unscrews with the ink cartridge inside it. I was like, Thank you, but what the hell? He smiled knowingly, and left. Seconds later, losing his nerve, he came back in and told me, For God's sake, don't throw it away, unscrew it.
So I did. And there was a 50 pound note inside. Overcome, I tried to give it back to him, but he wouldn't have it.

Delighted with my tip, I went out clubbing that evening.
I'm such a dense sow :) I keep my money in a fag packet when I'm clubbing, and I left it on a christing table, and never saw it again. I still wince when I think about it. Grrr. That's half the reason I gave up smoking.
So, if you've ever found £50 in a packet of Marlboro at the Astoria in Tottenham Court Road, the power of my bitterness and rage will insure you'll go to an early grave. Unless you return it immediately, plus interest. :D

finding money

A few years ago I found half a £10 note in the street. A friend said to get a form from the bank as you can claim a full note back if you have damaged one. On the form you have to describe how the money came to be damaged and a witness has to sign to say the story is correct. After thinking about it we decided to say that the other half of the note had been thrown on a fire whilst burning rubbish. We duly sent the form back and a few weeks later received a letter from the bank saying that another person had also made a claim, and giving thair name and address so that we could contact them. My name and address had also been given to the other claimant who obviously had the other half and was probably the person who had lost it and who would have given a different story. The other person did not contact me. Cringe was not the word! :eek:

A local psychic named Echo Bodine, recently published her 3rd or 4th book, which features a chapter on "the dime phenomenon"
(http://www.echobodine.com) -- no, I'm not her press agent. ;)

Whenever she has a concern about money, she will find either
a single dime (10 cents) in an unusual place (bottom of a glass of water, for instance) or several dimes arranged in a pattern (heart shape, infinity symbol, etc...)
This is a sign that she will be "taken care of" and that money
will soon follow. It works for her everytime. People she has told about this phenomenon have had this happen to them.

Within days of reading that chapter, it began with me. I've found dimes (no pennies, no nickles) in very strange places around
the house... and only when I have become concerned about finances. Money or freelance work that I don't expect arrives in that day's mail/e-mail.

Coincidence... probably -- but eerily consistent.

My "dimes" worth...
TVgeek

Lucky Nickel Find!

This is sooooooooo mad.........

I am English and have never left the British Isles.

Last week was scrabbling around for change for some reason and among the shrapnel found an American nickel!

Where the flipping heck (polite version!) did I get that from?

I will take it as good fiscal omen. When I can remember what I did with it I will treasure it.

In fact, I may email this Echo Bodine and tell her!

(Bodine- wasn't that Jethro's name in the Beverly Hillbillies?)

TVgeek said:
Whenever she has a concern about money, she will find either
a single dime (10 cents) in an unusual place ...
This is a sign that she will be "taken care of" and that money
will soon follow.

Okay, I vote for the dime theory...I found a dime last week coming in from the parking lot upon arriving home. Two checks in the mailbox the next day, one from a rebate offer ($5) and one from my sister who had a garage sale (yard sale, yard jumble) and sold off some of my stuff ($26).

I'll be on the lookout for dimes from now on.

Re: Lucky Nickel Find!

escargot said:

Yes, and even worse, I work with an audio engineer named Elly May! I have to watch myself carefully around her! :)

Let us know if the checks roll in!
TVgeek

I found a Canadian 10c coin in my pocket a while back, but I don't recall any financial windfall at the time.

But not having read this thread then, I wouldn't have been looking for a connection. Or perhaps it only works with US dimes?

Or perhaps it just got mixed in by accident, as it's very similar in size to a UK 5p piece.

Not exactly a cash story, but my family and I went canoing in a local river. We tipped over and, being preoccupied with grabbing our small child in her life-jacket, my rucksack went into the river never to be seen again. THREE years later, I got my credit card back in the mail from a local man who had been canoing the same stretch of river and found it sparkling on the sand in a few feet of water. Expired, of course, but thoughtful, anyway. I did send him a thank you note.

"I was a reference librarian in a previous life."

Windfalls

I hate to knock the quality of persons who work as cashiers here in the states, but I am regularly given back way too much money by cashiers wherever I shop. Once in O'Hare airport, the cashier tried to give me back a twenty when I'd paid with a one. The thing I hate is that they seem not to believe me when I point out the error and try to give their money back! I keep waiting to be rewarded for this honesty with large amounts of cash that doesn't reek of ill-gotten gains, but alas...

On the other hand, I regularly buy items at garage sales for a buck or less that turn out to be antiques. I have a small collection of Art Nouveau jewelry that is worth a lot more than I paid for it. The problem is that I like the stuff to much to sell it during the lean times (which there seem to be rather more of recently).

Okay, how does this dime thing work again?

I suppose if I lost anything more than £20 I'd be annoyed, but dropping a fiver isn't that big a deal really, if someone finds it and buys themself a few pints or a curry then I dont really mind

Where can you get a curry for a fiver these days?

I had a strange experience with money once. During my day at work the words "check on the mat" kept coming into my consciousness. I'd half forgotten about it by the time i got home. I opened the door and picked up the mail. The first letter i opened was from pension company NPI and contained a cheque for £300 as a windfall from recent floatation.

My bro once lost thirty quid on his way to a nightclub but didn't realise until he came to pay to get in. He re-traced his steps back to our house and found every last note of it before setting off again for the club.

Re: Lucky Nickel Find!

escargot said:
This is sooooooooo mad.........

I am English and have never left the British Isles.

Last week was scrabbling around for change for some reason and among the shrapnel found an American nickel!

Where the flipping heck (polite version!) did I get that from?

I will take it as good fiscal omen. When I can remember what I did with it I will treasure it.

In fact, I may email this Echo Bodine and tell her!

Oh, it was probably handed to you accidentally at some random store. Happens all the time, I assume. I have a danish coin from 1949 I found in my cash register at Shaw's, assumedly given mistakenly as a penny. And around here (Vermont) we trade canadian coins right along with US ones. They don't work in soda machines though, thats pretty annoying.

TVgeek said:
A local psychic named Echo Bodine, recently published her 3rd or 4th book, which features a chapter on "the dime phenomenon"
... she will find either a single dime ...or several dimes ...This is a sign that she will be "taken care of" and that money
will soon follow.

Ooooh! Ooooh! I found a dime on Sunday. Can't wait as I need some moolah in a bad way.

Back