• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mongolia, anyone?

Hell. I would probably like the omelets

But seriously. I think it would be better if first we come up with a list of materials and stuff we would need, like tents, first aid kits and other. As for sources of money, perhaps FT would provide. National Geographic and down here I can probably get Quo. But I think if we really want do do this, we have to prepare in advance, like something for at least next year.

So, in the meantime, why don't we post some of the stuff we may need, 'til we come up with a list. Then we can extrapolate the costs, and have a firm proposal. Also, keep in mind that while most of the people here is in England, there are some of us in other countries, so the travel expenses would be different.

Anyway, let's get to that list and then we can work the rest.

Into the Gobi To Search For Ancient Dread Shambala, The Dero

Sponsorship, you'll need sponsorship. And at least one ex-Python, to ensure you get a TV series out of it later.

I'd recommend Michael Palin, as Terry Jones seems to enjoy dressing up in strange clothing just a bit too much. Palin's a bit fitter, for such a trek, too I think. ;)

For real fun, Terry Gilliam, though budget over run might be a bit of a danger. :eek:

Well, we really need a budget and also some training. I think I can get back into top shape in six to 12 months. As for equiptment, I am going to start a list of stuff I think we need. I'll try and post it today. Oh!, and the Palin thing sounds like a good idea.

Couldn't FT chip in with a few quid?

This is highly interesting, you intrepid explorer chaps!

And send me a postcard . . .

Carole

Kit lists are easy enough...I've got a fairly exhaustive one for Africa. It's like the one I used to have in my NIREX, but with slight alterations; more comfort and less firepower, essentially.

Most important are; good boots, a good, comfortable pack (not an Army bergen; they hurt), a penknife and waterproofs.

I am thinking about a couple rifles, mountain equiptment, GPS and satellite phones, nigth vision googles and some other stuff.

Oops...that'll teach me to underestimate people :eek:
However, I am greatly reassured, not least because I thought I was the only one who thought we'd need guns.
Let's see, now...cheaper to get them over there, naturally, but then quality might be an issue, as well as ammunition and cleaning kits (trust me; they're important).
Gucci kit we'll have to pick up here, of course, and there's no way to get that cheap...

Well, you need the rifles, if anything, to ward off hostile humans or animals. Also, it would be handy to get a set on tranquilizing darts, just in case we spot some cryptozoological entity, in order to take some skin, blood and hair samples. We would also need a kit for that. Digital cameras and some satelite links to send pictures all over the world. Also, camouflage uniforms would be good, in order to move without the animals or creatures seeing us. We will also need an interpreter by the way, a backup crew with a helicopter ready por a rescue or droping stuff on camp. That's all I can think about now, I'll get to that list soon.

It's starting to sound like an invasion...!
However, I am used to going on things that are supposed to be like invasions, so I'm not complaining.
Camouflage is an issue; what colour is the terrain/ plant life around there? You don't want to be the only green thing among a lot of brown things...
Anyway, if we're looking at aircraft and crews, we'll need some serious financial backing...or you could find some clapped out biplane on the cheap and leave the flying to me. :D

I can see it now... a bunch of forteans in desert camoflage gear wandering around Montana (the cheap airline got it wrong again) :D

Seriously though, guns (you're not really planning on shooting the locals are you?) and even penknives would be pretty hard to smuggle though customs and would, in any case, be easier and cheaper to buy there. As would clothes, sleeping bags etc - unless you really, really, need the latest synthetic fabrics.

Oh, IJ - my brother flew on Aeroflop - sorry, Aeroflot - last year. Apparently, parachutes are always provided... I'm not sure whether this should comfort you or not :rolleyes:

Jane.

I prefer natural fibres and with Aeroflot's aircraft in the condition they are in, the parachutes are very reassuring. Mind you, flying in normal airliners makes me very edgy precisely because there is no way to get out before you hit the ground...
Anyway, ex-Soviet countries have plenty of guns floating around cheap, but I'd really prefer something British. No AKs; I'm a marksman and refuse to work with tat like that.:hmph: Well, maybe a couple, just for stopping power...

maybe an SKS? you could probably get them pretty cheap over there. but hey, im down for the trip if its ok with you guys. i live in the west coast of the US, so i think i'd be flying the opposite direction to get to the same place as you guys. im no doubt younger then all of you, but depending on how you look at it that could be a good thing :) i like adventures and stuff, i like guns, camping, all that good stuff. i think i'd fit in ok.

Anways, aside from the guns and ammo silliness, here's some info on related Forteana from Mongolia ;) :

1937 - Russian reconaissance unit saw and shot 2 hairy creatures like anthropoid apes, that were covered in reddish hair (on the border with the old USSR)
1953 - Man found corpse of man-like creature that was covered in hair (near Bulgan).
1963 - reports of 'Almas' (human-like wildmen) by locals (Altai Mountains).
1967 - Military personnel saw 'great disc of light trailing flames' which landed, took off, and left seared area on sand where it had touched down (Gobi Desert).

Anyway, if I had some idea of costs involved with such expedition, I'd like perhaps to join in. I also have a little experience with Chinese guns, should the need arise.

Costswise; aren't we looking at getting sponsorship? That should take them down a bit...maybe someone could help us with kit?

Dunno if they'll stretch to your ammo costs tho' ;) Personally, I don't think we'll need guns, and I doubt that the local authorities will take a shine to it either. Food & water and places to stay are the most important, which any route must take into account.

It wasn't gats I was thinking of, more scientific gear.
Remember; this is Mongolia...there are no local authorities worthyof the name in most parts...that's why I think even just a pistol might be useful.
That aside, food and water might have to be brought with us; we might not find any clean water for long periods of time.
'Kit' might have to include a landrover...

There are probably UAZ's we can use to get around in. And Mongolia isn't all that lawless - not enough to let a bunch of foreigners drive around with firearms anyway. It's not the Wild West ;)

The Royal Artillery use them as gun tractors for the 105 and 155 (as seen in the top picture).
They might be a little larger than is strictly neccessary, and possibly quite hard to come by in Mongolia...

Yeah well, this is a field trip, not an invasion.

That was what I meant; a UAZ is nice, small, cheap and there will be plenty floating about over there.
To be honest, I'd imagined trekking with packs rather than a motorised column...how much kit are we actually going to need? Will it really require military prime movers? Keeping it to essentials is probably best. Think Conan Doyle's Lost World, rather than Speilberg's.

No Mr. Jones. Backpaking and keeping to the essentials has always been in my mind. Cars or motorized vehicles of any sort would be unpractical due to the rugged terrain and noise they can make. The idea here is not one of a military invasion, but more of a guerrilla incursion. Fast, ligth, but with all the needed stuff. Aerial support and GPS communications are necesary because of the isolation of the area and the possibility of accidents and the need for medical/emergency assitance.

Glad we got that sorted out; for a second there I had images of something like Army Group South sweeping across Mongolia....

I'm sure camels would be better, both practically and aesthetically.

Thought the following may help...

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/worldwise/directory/www00133.html

Embassy of Mongolia; 7 Kensington Court; London W8 5DL Tel: (020) 7 937 0150 or (020) 7 937 5238 Fax: (020) 7 937 1117. Visa section: (020) 7 937 5238 ext. 29.

UK REPRESENTATION
British Embassy: 30 Enkh Taivny Gudamzh; (P O Box 703); Ulaanbaatar 13 Mongolia Tel: + (976) (1) 458133; Fax: + [976] (1) 458036

LOCAL TOURIST INFORMATION
Mongolian Tourism Association PO Box 10/195; Ulan Bator; Mongolia.- 1 Prime Minster Amar Street; Ulan Bator 13; Mongolia Tel: (1) 323 363 or 320 219 Fax: (1) 323 363 or 320 219.

VISA INFORMATION
Required by all except nationals of Kazakhstan (up to 90 days); nationals of Malaysia (for up to 28 days); nationals of the Philippines (up to 21 days); nationals of Singapore; Poland; Romania and North Korea (up to 14 days).

HEALTH MATTERS
Polio; Typhoid: Vaccination recommended
Malaria : - No notification
Yellow Fever: - No notification
Other Health Risks: Rabies.

Inhabitant said:
I'm sure camels would be better, both practically and aesthetically.

Well, okay, but I'm warning you; if any of these ones try to eat me, they're upholstery.

Well, on the last night of the expedition, I'm willing to put money on the camel winning if you fight with one (no firearms allowed)... ;)

We clearly need an experienced camel wrangler to keep them in order.

BTW, I'm also assuming that we can use a lot of the skill base in country i.e. guides, camel wranglers, trackers etc, rather than deal with it ourselves.

Back