• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
I’m a massive fan of b-movies, from the creaky old 1950s classics like The Giant Claw (monster chicken from outer space builds a nest on top of the Empire State Building) to the ‘video nasties’ that caused such outrage among the tabloids and dim wits during the late 70s and early 80s.
Recently I stumbled across one on YouTube that I had almost forgotten. Monstroid (AKA Monster) is a 1979 flick written and directed by Kenneth Hartford and staring John Carradine and James Mitchum. I think the budget was blown on getting hold of John Carradine as the film looks ultra cheap. Herbert L Strock began shooting the film in 1971 but never finished it and the project was later handed over to Hartford.
If you can ignore the sub Rentaghost acting and abysmal special effects then it’s not a bad story. It’s sent in a small lakeside town in Colombia. The town’s main employer is a large US cement company whose works have been polluting the lake for years killing off all the fish much to the anger of local fishermen. An activist, incensed by the pollution is spreading anti US sentiment in the area and a reporter from America is covering the pollution story showing the company up in a bad light. One woman claims that her husband was devoured by a monster from the lack several years ago but no body was ever found and he is looked on local as a witch. Carradine, the town priest thin the monster is of diabolical nature. I fact it is implied that the pollution has awoken it out of hibernation.
The cement company send down one of their executives to investigate the gongs on. Shortly after he arrives there is a spate of killings in and around the lake were victims are attacked and eaten by some kind of animal. The children of an American secutary photograph the monster and the company executive, the reporter and the town mayor have to join forces to come up with a plan to stop the beast.
The creature itself looks like Kermit the Frog if he lived in Sellafield. Imagine a grey / green, scaly, long necked walrus, sans the tusks but with crocodile teeth, feet, and tail and a catfishes’ barbles and a cats eyes then you will have a good idea of what the creature looks like. It is realized by a shockingly un-realistic hand puppet and a full sized head and neck and whole head, neck and body models operated in the water from beneath.
What has this got to do with cryptozoology I here you say. Well, at the start of the film we are told that the movie is based on real events that took place in a lake in Colombia in June 1971! I have never heard of a killer lake monster in Colombia in June 1971 or at any other time for that matter.
The town in the film is referred to as Chimayo and the movie was apparently filmed on location there. However there is no Chimayo in Colombia. There is a Chimayo in New Mexico that has a small lake several miles to the west of it. Monsteroid was partially shot here. According to local folklore an important Christian pilgrimage site in New Mexico is the Sanctuario at Chimayo, which is visited today by thousands of pilgrims, especially during Holy Week. According to local tradition, the site was an ancient, pre-Christian shrine associated with the twin war gods, who killed a child-devouring monster on that spot. As a result of the death of the monster, a pool of healing mud was created. But this hardy seems like the 1971 events we are told of at the start of the film.
According to the credits it was also partially filmed in Ambalema, Colombia. This is a town in the Tolima department of central Colombia. There seems to be no large lake in the area but the Rio Magdalena runs right next to the town. I can find no record of a monster or attacks by one on the river. Could we be dealing with attacks by a known animal such as a black caiman, bull shark or anaconda?
The cover to the video release of the film confuses matters further by proclaiming that ‘This film is a re-enactment of four days of terror that rocked the small village of Chimayo, Colombia.”
I’ve drawn a blank here. I might have to try to look at some newspapers for that month, presuming that is, that the events ever made it to the international press. Also presuming the events happened at all?
Does anybody out there know anything about this case?

There's a small place in southwestern Colombia named Chimayoy. This is the only Colombian town / settlement I could find with even a remotely similar name.

Latitude. 1.5216667°, Longitude. -77.0905556°

Chimayoy is not adjacent to any lake, though. It's roughly 60 km north of a sizeable lake named Laguna de la Cocha.

I wouldn't look to far into this one, the film took 9 years to get finished and released,

http://www.eltremendo3000.com/2009/07/m ... -1979.html

All references give this date as 1979, so that would mean that production began in 1970 the events its supposedly based on happened in 1971. Adding to that the village mentioned doesn't seem to exist.

By the way any joy with PP etc

A friend of a friend who does crypto research in South America is looking into it.

My copy of this movie is called It Came From The Lake for some reason,must have multiple titles. I haven't watched this movie in ages but I recall at one point it looks like a hand puppet of the monster was used when he was eating a woman. I think there was also a pollution angle to the movie with some factory on the lake spewing waste into it. I think at the end the monster had made a nest and laid eggs too.
I guess that the pollution is what riled up the beastie. I wonder if the Based on a True Story part was referring to the pollution incident in the movie and not the monster itself. Another similar movie from the 80's is called The Sea Serpent. I just watched it on youtube the other day.

Have you got the yutube link for the SeaSerpnt film, i've never seen it, only the lips.
The pollution being the real story the film is based on is a neat idea and you may well be right on that point.

The url is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR6tmnDJplU
The movie is split up into like 10 parts so you may have to hunt around a little because I don't think they are in order. I'm a big fan of giant monster movies,Godzilla ect and monster movies in general so it's cool to be able to find stuff like this on line since they don't show this stuff on tv anymore.

I’m a massive fan of b-movies, from the creaky old 1950s classics like The Giant Claw (monster chicken from outer space builds a nest on top of the Empire State Building) to the ‘video nasties’ that caused such outrage among the tabloids and dim wits during the late 70s and early 80s.
Recently I stumbled across one on YouTube that I had almost forgotten. Monstroid (AKA Monster) is a 1979 flick written and directed by Kenneth Hartford and staring John Carradine and James Mitchum. I think the budget was blown on getting hold of John Carradine as the film looks ultra cheap. Herbert L Strock began shooting the film in 1971 but never finished it and the project was later handed over to Hartford.
If you can ignore the sub Rentaghost acting and abysmal special effects then it’s not a bad story. It’s sent in a small lakeside town in Colombia. The town’s main employer is a large US cement company whose works have been polluting the lake for years killing off all the fish much to the anger of local fishermen. An activist, incensed by the pollution is spreading anti US sentiment in the area and a reporter from America is covering the pollution story showing the company up in a bad light. One woman claims that her husband was devoured by a monster from the lack several years ago but no body was ever found and he is looked on local as a witch. Carradine, the town priest thin the monster is of diabolical nature. I fact it is implied that the pollution has awoken it out of hibernation.
The cement company send down one of their executives to investigate the gongs on. Shortly after he arrives there is a spate of killings in and around the lake were victims are attacked and eaten by some kind of animal. The children of an American secutary photograph the monster and the company executive, the reporter and the town mayor have to join forces to come up with a plan to stop the beast.
The creature itself looks like Kermit the Frog if he lived in Sellafield. Imagine a grey / green, scaly, long necked walrus, sans the tusks but with crocodile teeth, feet, and tail and a catfishes’ barbles and a cats eyes then you will have a good idea of what the creature looks like. It is realized by a shockingly un-realistic hand puppet and a full sized head and neck and whole head, neck and body models operated in the water from beneath.
What has this got to do with cryptozoology I here you say. Well, at the start of the film we are told that the movie is based on real events that took place in a lake in Colombia in June 1971! I have never heard of a killer lake monster in Colombia in June 1971 or at any other time for that matter.
The town in the film is referred to as Chimayo and the movie was apparently filmed on location there. However there is no Chimayo in Colombia. There is a Chimayo in New Mexico that has a small lake several miles to the west of it. Monsteroid was partially shot here. According to local folklore an important Christian pilgrimage site in New Mexico is the Sanctuario at Chimayo, which is visited today by thousands of pilgrims, especially during Holy Week. According to local tradition, the site was an ancient, pre-Christian shrine associated with the twin war gods, who killed a child-devouring monster on that spot. As a result of the death of the monster, a pool of healing mud was created. But this hardy seems like the 1971 events we are told of at the start of the film.
According to the credits it was also partially filmed in Ambalema, Colombia. This is a town in the Tolima department of central Colombia. There seems to be no large lake in the area but the Rio Magdalena runs right next to the town. I can find no record of a monster or attacks by one on the river. Could we be dealing with attacks by a known animal such as a black caiman, bull shark or anaconda?
The cover to the video release of the film confuses matters further by proclaiming that ‘This film is a re-enactment of four days of terror that rocked the small village of Chimayo, Colombia.”
I’ve drawn a blank here. I might have to try to look at some newspapers for that month, presuming that is, that the events ever made it to the international press. Also presuming the events happened at all?

Despite the claim that this film was "Based on a real event that took place in June of 1971", the events it depicts were entirely fictional. Nevertheless it's a wonderfully goofy example of a self produced, written and directed vanity project. At one point while I was working on this picture John Carradine told me "This is the worst piece of sh*t I've ever worked on ...and I've worked on a lot of pieces of sh*t." Also An interesting moment earlier when Jim Mitchum was having trouble with his lines and started cursing in the courtyard of the Santuario (a religious shrine in Chimayó) and one of the local low-rider onlookers growled "...show some respect man", which apparently caused Jim to remember where he was, as he then made a very profound and heartfelt apology for his inappropriate behavior. In any case the crew did the job on deferment and were never fully paid - but came away with plenty of particularly bizarre stories - like the night we caught the producer/director's 10 year old son entertaining himself by constructing miniature Burmese tiger traps for us to break our legs in. Like they say: "Ya gotta' love the Biz..."

Back