• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monsters We Missed

I've never read it, I never got over Congo, which I read against advise, which was 'read it if you want but I wouldn't. As I read it I kept thinking he can't possibly be writing this'.

I didn't enjoy or watch the film voluntarily either, and had no idea that they were supposed to be Neandertals, I thought they were native Americans.

Native Americans would I feel make at least as much sense -- probably more -- vis-a-vis the events the film was supposed to be recounting. One of those cinematic offerings re which you feel like billing the makers of it, for the x minutes of your life which you've wasted in watching it...

I'd say thylacine but i'm so convinced of it's contiued existance that i'd stake my love spuds on it. Quinkana fortirostrum a 30 foot land dwelling crocodile that galloped would have to favourite.

The Quinkana - a long-legged terrestrial crocodilian, survived until only maybe 10,000 years ago and something similar to its description is occasionally reported in that cryptid happy hunting ground of Papua New Guinea.
Wonder if Rex Yapi has anything to say about it?

quinkana.png

Steller's sea cow would have been magnificent to have seen. I think the beast we came so close to having seen in nature documentaries that I'd like to see is probably aepyornis, Madagascar's elephant bird.

For years now I've had this personal little list;
Thylacine
Passenger pigeon
Steller's sea cow
Dodo
Aepyornis
Moa
Haast's eagle

This is from memory, i think i had more. If I had any talent, I'd write a book about animals that we came to within about a millennium of seeing on nature documentaries.

Steller's sea cow would have been magnificent to have seen. I think the beast we came so close to having seen in nature documentaries that I'd like to see is probably aepyornis, Madagascar's elephant bird.

For years now I've had this personal little list;
Thylacine
Passenger pigeon
Steller's sea cow
Dodo
Aepyornis
Moa
Haast's eagle

This is from memory, i think i had more. If I had any talent, I'd write a book about animals that we came to within about a millennium of seeing on nature documentaries.
As mentioned on the thread dedicated to the Porthleven Sea Monster, the creature washed up on the beach in 1786 sounded like a close match for Steller's Sea Cow.

As mentioned on the thread dedicated to the Porthleven Sea Monster, the creature washed up on the beach in 1786 sounded like a close match for Steller's Sea Cow.
That was a couple of decades after we think it was hunted to extinction. I don't think there's much chance of seeing one now.

The Quinkana - a long-legged terrestrial crocodilian, survived until only maybe 10,000 years ago and something similar to its description is occasionally reported in that cryptid happy hunting ground of Papua New Guinea.
Wonder if Rex Yapi has anything to say about it?

View attachment 73169
Rex Yappi only seems interested in twisting money and gear out of westerners.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, until I hear otherwise.
@Frideswide registered with his Cryptozoology forum on Facebook and I await her assessment as to Mr Yapi's verisimilitude.
He wanted us to send him equipment and when we agreed he rejected the stuff we were going to send and wanted gear costing thousands of pounds.

He wanted us to send him equipment and when we agreed he rejected the stuff we were going to send and wanted gear costing thousands of pounds.

Didn't realise you'd been in touch with the guy!
Do you believe his motives are entirely mercenary, or is his interest in cryptozoology sincere?
Also, given that Papua New Guinea does seem to be the motherlode for cryptids, are you planning any trips there?

Didn't realise you'd been in touch with the guy!
Do you believe his motives are entirely mercenary, or is his interest in cryptozoology sincere?
Also, given that Papua New Guinea does seem to be the motherlode for cryptids, are you planning any trips there?
I think he is just a scamming chancer. He was saying how at his village people see thylacines all the time. I think there may be thylacines in the mountain forests of New Guinea but it all seemed a bit too convenient. He said he has seen ropen too.

Great Auk
Moa
Aepyornis and some of the Lemurs from Madagascar
Waitoreke -If that was an indigenous NZ mammal it could be something unusual
Diprotodon (Was it a Bunyip?)
Thylacoleo
Buru

I'd like to add Mngwa but I guess it doesn't qualify if its existence has never been confirmed although it does feature in Native legend but then so does the Nandi Bear.

It seems sad that the Homo Flores might have been around untill just a few hundred years ago. The natives there seems to have some stories of them.
Anthropologist Gregory Forth in his book Between Ape and Human, thinks they are still in the mountains of east Flores. He worked over there for years and collected modern day accounts.

I think he is just a scamming chancer. He was saying how at his village people see thylacines all the time. I think there may be thylacines in the mountain forests of New Guinea but it all seemed a bit too convenient. He said he has seen ropen too.
Thanks for the update @lordmongrove and I do trust your judgement on the matter.
I must confess that I find it a bit of a shame though, as I was hoping that an indigenous Papuan would be a boon to Cryptozoology.
So when are you heading out to PNG to find us some reputable evidence for a cryptid?

Back