• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

MOON (the Duncan Jones movie)

Peripart

Antediluvian
Moon

While checking out the link to the trailer for "Surrogates", I also came across a trailer for Duncan Jones' "Moon", with Sam Rockwell.

Trailer here

Looks weird and promising, with definite shades of the second half of 2001!

Looks interesting, I must say - thanks for bringing it to our attention Peripart.

Love these islolation-in-remote-location films, means there must be a good plot to counteract the potential boredom factor of a man alone.

I've just watched that trailer again, and it does just what a good trailer should, because now, I really want to see this.

It seems to have not only shades of 2001, and a bit of the design ethic of Alien, but elements of Dark Star and The Black Hole, too.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure I spotted "Hi - I'm Ed Winchester" at 40 seconds in!

CarlosTheDJ said:
Peripart said:
On top of that, I'm pretty sure I spotted "Hi - I'm Ed Winchester" at 40 seconds in!
You've convinced me!
You know, I was certain, but I thought I'd better check my facts anyway. Turns out I was wrong!
Seems that it wasn't Jeff Harding (aka Fr Buzz Cagney from Father Ted), but a vaguely similar-looking actor called Malcolm Stewart.

Sorry for any confusion or distress.

Looks very interesting - a cross between 2001, Dark Star, Aliens, Solaris and Sunshine ! :)

I've just found out this was directed by David Bowie's son. He's made his own Space Oddity, just like dear old dad!

Sam Rockwell is a great actor. I've seen him do comedy and drama and I've rarely been disappointed. If anything he's saved a few films from being complete bilge, Welcome To Colinwood, I'm looking at you!

gncxx said:
I've just found out this was directed by David Bowie's son. He's made his own Space Oddity, just like dear old dad!
You're right - I hadn't realised until today that Duncan Jones is better known as Zowie Bowie!

My name is Sam Bell, I had an accident and I woke up on the Moon and found I was already there, am I mad, am I in a coma, or have I gone back in time....

In Duncan Jones’s film Moon, Sam Rockwell, plays Sam Bell, the sole human occupant of a mining facility on the far side of the moon, that supplies helium 3 for fusion reactors, which according to the fake advert that opens the movie have solved the Earth’s energy crisis.

His only company is GERTY 3000, a computer with a robot arm and moveable monitor, voiced by Kevin Spacey, who is obviously a cousin to HAL 9000, and like HAL knows more about the mission than he’s admitting. GERTY’s function is to look after Sam.

However, all is not well, the base is high tech, but battered and grungy, direct communications to earth are off-line since the communications satellite that provides it is out of action and repairing it is not on the company's list or priorities – all communications are coming via deep space relay stations, which because of the time lag means direct conversations are impossible, so all Sam has are recorded messages from his wife.

It’s two weeks from the end of Sam's three-year contract, and he suspects he’s starting to lose the plot, when he sees a dark haired girl in the base.

When one of the vast mining machines malfunctions, he goes to fix it and has an accident when he spots the girl again, standing out on the surface of the moon. When he wakes up from the accident, (or does he?) he finds that there are two of him.

If you’re a long standing SF fan you’ll probably work out what’s going on before GERTY reveals the truth about what the corporation’s up to. However, what’s impressive about the film is the performance by Sam Rockwell as the two Sam’s, who are different stages of their life, and the script which plays with Phillip K Dickian, notions of reality and who is human. It also looks at what loneliness will do to you.

The SFX advance the story rather than be overwhelm it or become its raison d’etre. Unlike most SF films, the moon exteriors are models and mattes, a bit reminiscent of Space 1999 and I mean that in a good way, with only minor CGI enhancements.

Why the Life on Mars reference upfront? Well director Duncan Jones is the son of a certain David Jones, also known as Bowie, also the film could have been made in the early 70s, pre-Star Wars where you got SF movies that weren’t mainly about spectacle (there’s been a few since, but you probably wouldn’t get a Silent Running these days), there’s also something of Dark Star about it and a bit of Solaris.

It’s an intelligent, well made (on a miniscule budget), SF film so it probably won’t do as well as something big and dumb. See this film, we need more SF that doesn’t rely on aliens and space battles.

I'm fairly certain there's already a thread on this film somewhere. But I have to admit it does look pretty interesting.

I tried searching earlier and it didn't show up, search appears to be playing up.

Mods MERGING IRONS please.

I wouldn't worry, I never find anything using that search engine.

David Bowie's son Duncan Jones wins two Bifas for directorial debut
Moon scoops best film and Jones best debut director at British independent film awards
Mark Brown, arts correspondent guardian.co.uk, Sunday 6 December 2009

As a child, he was called Zowie Bowie. These days it's the far more sensible Duncan Jones, and tonight he emerged triumphantly from the very large shadow of his father when he picked up two prizes at the British independent film awards.

Forty years after the first Moon landing and 40 years after his dad, David Bowie, released Space Oddity, Jones's retro sci-fi film Moon was named best picture at a ceremony in central London while Jones himself won best debut director.

His film stars Sam Rockwell as the solitary caretaker of a helium-3 mining plant on the Moon with his only companion, it seems, a talking computer system called Gerty, voiced by Kevin Spacey.

Jones, 38, has always been determined to make a successful career by himself. He went to the London film school and honed his skills making adverts for McCain oven chips and French Connection.

Moon was made on what is a tiny budget for a sci-fi film, just £2.5m, helped by money from Trudie Styler.

The Bifas, for British independent films with a budget of less than £10m, are sometimes seen as a pointer for the Oscars – the big Bifa winner last year was Slumdog Millionaire.

etc...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/dec ... wards-moon

Well, having started this thread a year ago, I finally got around to buying the DVD of Moon.

I have to say, I was impressed. The film was nicely creepy all through, with a real sense of building tension. The way that the "new" Sam didn't even want to acknowledge the "old" one at one point, for fear of what that would say about his own existence, was nicely handled. The ending was more upbeat than I'd have dared hope as well, without any hint of saccharine to spoil things. Overall, an easy 9/10.

Watching the film, as I did, on a TV screen, I'd never have recognised Benedict Wong or Matt Berry if their names hadn't appeared in the credits!

As for GERTY, I haven't Googled to see where the name came from, but could it be that keyboard layouts have changed slightly in the near future?

It's great, isn't it? I'd recommend watching the making of on the disc, as seeing how Sam Rockwell acted against himself was a revelation, the man must have insane levels of concentration to make it look so natural.

Back