• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moonlights? WTF was it?

am i alone in not seeing anything at all - apart from a big white ball?

ginoide said:
am i alone in not seeing anything at all - apart from a big white ball?
Look to the right and top-right of the 'ball'...

Not very conclusive of anything, however.

Reading the original post, one thing comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned yet... light glinting along something. Does the moon have any sort of ring system? Or is the mass not great enough to hold one?

moon orbiting wierdness

I don't think anyone will be able to give you an explanation for this sighting, and as far as my opinion of what you saw that night, I think you saw something amazing that obviously goes way beyond what most peoples current knowledge of reality would be, and people will have to face up to the fact that there are many things we don't know yet about our moon, or our universe for that matter. We may think we know alot about sciences such as astronomy, but believe me, these are only just scratching the surface of what is really happening out there.

There's plenty of people and books that speculate on the origin of the moon for example, could it have been artificially created? could it be hollow? etc. This event that you and your brother observed will probably remain a mystery for quite some time to come, and if only more people could have seen it, it would have perhaps created a shift in our collective belief system to make us realise that we're not alone afterall.

Whatever you saw was most obviously under some kind of intelligent control, it just begs the question, by who?

I think what's staggeringly amazing is that of all the billions of people who were on the night side of the earth at that time, including all of the professional and amateur astronomers, only one kid in Ireland happened to be looking at the moon at that time - since he hasn't gotten back to us with his brother's account of the night, we don't even know if his brother saw anything.
The moon can't be that hollow, as there are massive craters and lava flows on the surface, and there's no gaping holes visible - the people who actually have been to the moon or studied the rocks that came back don't think that it's artificial or hollow.

Goatboy - how did you judge the distance to the object/relative distance of it from the moon? Was this based on the apparent behaviour of the thing, ie that it appeared to be circling the moon?

In the below clip, how can we determine whether the object is an insect near the viewer or something closer to the moon?

ttaarraass said:

I agree that this one - assuming goatboy is not a pathological liar etc etc - really calls into question many fundamental things about our so-called understanding of reality. I love it!

The moon has no ring system - good thought, though.

Henry - goatboy saw it appear to come from behind the edge of the moon, circle around the front, disappear behind the moon on the opposite edge, and then reappear again on the original side. The impression being that it must have been circling the moon. The notion that perhaps it might have been a nearby bug or bird or bat catching the light in some exotic way and creating an optical illusion being ruled out by the fact that his friend on the next swing saw the same thing - a nearby creature would not have lined up exactly with the edges of the moon for both of them.

Assuming it was something in the vicinity of the moon, any physical "spaceship" would have had to be tens or hundreds of miles across to be seen with the naked eye at that distance, or else putting off a spectacular amount of light energy. And travelling at a significant fraction of the speed of light.

Doesn't fit with any known known electromagnetic or plasma phenomenon - though my most occumy bet would be with an unknown phenomenon of this type.

I see no reason to entertain the moon being hollow or artificial - first of all, that idea has nothing to do with what was observed, and second, if that's true then we actually know so little about astronomy, geology, and physics that there's no way we should be able to land a craft on the moon or put one into Earth orbit. It's just confounding a mystery with a baseless myth.

There's no way to know whether other people - maybe thousands of people - saw it also. How would we know? How many would have tried to report it, at the risk of sounding totally bonkers? Who would they report it to? Who would believe them enough to record what they said? Whose job would that be? And how would those reports from all over the globe get collated into one place?

Back