• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moorhouse - nightmare

TheOrigDesperado

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
First off, apologies if this has already been covered in previous posts, but I've been away from the forum for > a year and things have passed me by. Anyway...

Last year I saw a programme called "Airport" on UK TV (a tedious account of the goings-on at Heathrow I think). Anyway, in one episode the camera briefly caught up with a guy who'd been cautioned by police for causing a disturbance on a plane from the US. He was only on camera for 20 seconds or so, but in that time he protested that he had not caused a disturbance intentionally but had been experiencing a nightmare which caused him to thrash around and consequently needed to be restrained.

Now, although the programme didn't reveal this guy's name, it was definitely David Moorhouse ("Psychic Warrior"). Which begs the question, is only 99% of his book garbage instead of 100%? For those who haven't read it, Moorhouse claims to have been shot in the head and developed a gift for excessively incisive remote viewing whilst also bringing on increasingly severe nightmares in which he was harangued by a bloke in a robe.

OK, the 99% bit was me being flippant, but I wondered if anyone else has any information on this? It was a great book, BTW, but I've always treated is as fiction. Maybe I was wrong...?????

:confused:

"Maybe I was wrong...?????"

Oh yeah, I'd say so. Stopped by to read your post because nobody had responded to it. Thought you might be feeling lonely. Was I surprised to see your subject matter and comments! My hair got up and I was about to get mad, but then realized that would be silly. David Morehouse stands on his own. But why be so offensive Desperado? To disparage someone's work with such venom, and then say it was a great book. I don't get it. Maybe you weren't trying to be rude, but funny? In any case, Morehouse doesn't need me to defend him. Even so, and even though I'm extremely tired, I have to say a word before I turn in.

Of all the people I've met in my long life, David Morehouse is one of the last people I could ever imagine lying. If you ever have something life-changing happen to you, you are able to recognize the same experience in others. I have, and he did, and I know it. He was changed spiritually. Not that I think he was a bad man before, but if he tells you something happened, I would say you can take it to the bank.

He is an extraordinary man. I have tremendous admiration for him, and gratitude. I did some minor remote viewing training with him years ago, and it opened my eyes to an aspect of our abilities I had never been aware of before. I was in awe of what I experienced. He is the real deal. He is greatly skilled as a remote viewer. (He does have chronic sleep problems that developed along with his increasing skills, but he does what he can to help his students avoid as much of that as possible.) His intentions in teaching what he has learned are nothing but good. He is ethical and generous. He is a master teacher. No, I don't have a personal or professional relationship with him, and may never see him again. I was a student for only a short time, but I'm no kid, and I'm a fine judge of character. I'm telling you the way that it is.

You might want to look into some of the other books he has written Desperado, or read PSYCHIC WARRIOR again with the mind-frame that every word is * true. Maybe even do some remote viewing yourself. Yes you can. We all can. We just don't all know we can.

*possibly (Sorry I wasn't clear to begin with.)

I'd completely forgotten about this post. But to respond, yes, I tell it how I see it. If I read a book and it's great, I'll say it's great. If I think it's made up, I'll say so. I found Moorhouse's book to be very entertaining, but IMO mostly fictional. You seem to suggest that I should accept every word in every book I read as true. Well, you can do that if you want, I won't. Only the most gullible of people believe everything they read.

I've never met David Moorhouse, and I've never met you, so you telling me that Moorhouse would never lie is pretty redundant in convincing me of anything. I'm sure David Moorhouse is a great guy, and of course I have nothing personal against him, and I've no doubt he was in the military as he says, but that doesn't mean I have to believe he's travelled in time and projected his astral form to alien planets. I form an opinion based on the information available. There are a number of instances in Moorhouse's book that don't ring true, a multitude of inconsistencies. I have written a fair amount of fiction and I know how a fictional story is built up, how it's structured, and how damn difficult it is to remove all the tell-tale inconsistencies. Of course, it's just my opinion, but "Psychic Warrior" neatly fits into a fictional "beginning / middle / end" mould - far too neatly to be the result of reported fact.

I'd be a fool to read a book whilst bullying myself into believing every word is true, even assuming such an exercise is possible. As you post to this board, I assume you consider yourself a Fortean. In which case, your whole attitude puzzles me. Give an opinion, yes, present an argument, yes, but ORDER someone to believe in something? Do you find that approach works often?

And as for remote viewing, how do you know I haven't? Let's be straight, you know nothing about what I've done or what I haven't done. I expressed no opinon on RV, just an opinon on Moorehouse's book, which I have a perfect right to criticise. I paid for it, and if I think it's bogus I'll say so. I don't need anyone's permission, thanks.

Second to lack of time, the reason I left this forum in the first place - and the reason I've no time for it now - was the overt disdain displayed for anybody who expressed anything resembling healthy scepticism. Out of about 500 posts, probably 100 were taken up attempting to explaining to certain people exactly what this forum was all about, and the meaning for the word "Fortean". Sorry if I can't be bothered to do it all again.

____

It's not the sceptics who hold back progress, it's the blind believers.

I agree with Desperado - even if one doesn't have reason to doubt someone's else in general terms, caution must be used when dealing with unusual claims made by them. After all, we only have their word for it, barring some very convincing proof. And this just doesn't extend to RV, but to all forms of what may be called Fortean phenomena.

If we are all capable of remote viewing, then why don't we ever use it?
In extremis, humans are capable of the most amazing feats - the example of a parent singly-handedly lifting a two-ton car off a trapped child springs to mind, as do the many stories of soldiers in battle walking without pain on shattered legs. But AFAIK, nobody has ever used remote viewing to do anything actually and immediately useful. if just one desperate parent had used RV to locate their missing child, that would be enough to validate RV to the whole world. But instead, all we get are people like Morehouse, who make unprovable claims - why didn't he use his abilities to locate Holly & Jessica?
In fact, my criticism of RV applies to any claimed parapsychology talent - if people generally were capable of RV, thought-reading, teleportation and the like, they would be everyday events in this mad, bad old world of ours.

I agree, Annasdottir. The tragedy of those two missing kids in the UK recently does suggest that RV is either bogus or non-controllable. After all, I know if I had an RV talent - no matter how weak - then I would have immediately offered my services! Who wouldn't? And even assuming a person had the talent but was too cold-hearted to use it, surely the reward of £1 million would perk-up most people's interest.

You could say that this proves that nobody in the UK is capable of RV, or psychic detection of any variety (map dowsing, psychic viewing, etc.)

I do firmly believe that the future can be glimpsed, that precognition is a valid phenomenon (I have experienced it), but I also believe that nobody holds the ability to perform these feats at will. I also think that the vast majority of people who claim to be able to are frauds, the rest misguided. Many are superb magicians, great showpersons and personalities, and I wish them all the luck in the world, but at the end of the day, they're just entertainers.

Where's the PROOF?

Desperado, I wouldn't "order" you, or anyone else, to do anything. I sincerely don't know where my "comand" to you is located in my post, but I know that different people can read the same words in different ways. Please accept my apology if I have offended you in any way.

Of course, as you say, you dont' know me, or Morehouse, and there's no reason for you to believe me, or Morehouse, or anything but your own personal experience. I would love to see everyone everywhere at least entertain the notion that something outside their own personal experience is possible. Alas, people aren't put on this earth to make me happy, so I suppose that will never happen.

Whatever your position is, of course you have every right to it. Remote viewing is most assuredly not perfect. Morehouse is always very clear about this. It appears that working in groups is so far the best way to increase accuracy. I know there is a least one group, trained by Morehouse, working together without pay attempting to help people in trouble. But I know you have no reason to believe this, or that there are people in this mean world who would do this, (sometimes with success), without seeking to be on "Entertainment Tonight."

I foolishly thought my sharing might encourage some opening to new posibilities. I gotta let it go. :blah: Ha! Could I be more naive?! Don't think so. I'm going someplace more fun now. God bless all.

Thanks Desperado. But my point was that if paranormal abilities existed in even a small proportion of the general population, we wouldn't need such abilities to be demonstrated by 'special people' under test conditions - we would be seeing examples of them working in every disaster.
Take Sept 11th. Wouldn't at least one of those people trapped in the burning towers, faced with either frying or jumping, have teleported themselves to safety if they had the slightest ability for it? Or at least broadcast a deafening psychic howl for help to be picked up by anybody with psychic ability?

Conspiracy Alert!!!

Desperado said:
Where's the PROOF?

I can't see the military actually WANTING
the proof of successful RV to be
marched out before the public...
and if you control the national media, how hard is it to
clamp down on the stories of success?

Any takers? ;)

In all seriousness...
I know a very successful water dowser personally --
and even after 15 years of success, she has no interest
in publicity. She has never asked for or been paid cash.
It is all word of mouth in the local community on a
"when you find the time" basis.

TVgeek

TVgeek - well, the CIA did a lot of research into remote viewing before deciding it was a waste of time. I've got a load of CIA scans on my old computer detailing the exact experiments they undertook and the results. They're all very interesting, but I don't think there was ever a big secret about it - why would there be? At the time the Russians were doing exactly the same thing. And unfortunately, nobody controls the UK media, more's the pity!

And dowsing... well, OK, I don't really class that as a supernatural ability. There are a number of people who hold down highly-paid jobs dowsing, for oil & gas companies all over the world. I can understand how something like that might have evolved naturally before fading out in most people due to lack of any real requirements (unless your an aboriginal, who also have a talent of find water). I was talking more about spoon bending, remote viewing, psychometry and the like, abilities which could never have evolved through any natural means.

Wow -- I'd ALWAYS thought of dowsing as
a supernatural ability, Desperado.
You've definitely given me something to think about...
So, would the new IHTM story BEARLY ESCAPED:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5419

fit this classification as well?
I'm just curious: where would we draw the line between supernatural and natural talents?
Couldn't remote viewing be part of a
faded (or fading) natural talent?

Cool stuff. :)
TVgeek

Maybe there's no such thing as "supernatural" talents - just natural abilities that for one reason or another we cannot, or do not allow ourselves, to use.

I do believe that over the centuries we've lost abilities that we once had, and that once helped us survive. After all, most of us don't need the ability to sense dangerous animals, locate underground streams, receive guidance from our ancestors, etc, so those abilities have vanished in "civilised" man. As technology plays a more and more important part in our lives then I reckon we're going to lose even more of our senses over the next few thousand years, just like we're gradually losing our strength, fitness, eyesight, sense of smell, etc.

Desperado said:
Maybe there's no such thing as "supernatural" talents - just natural abilities that for one reason or another we cannot, or do not allow ourselves, to use.
I do believe that over the centuries we've lost abilities that we once had, and that once helped us survive. After all, most of us don't need the ability to sense dangerous animals, locate underground streams, receive guidance from our ancestors, etc, so those abilities have vanished in "civilised" man. As technology plays a more and more important part in our lives then I reckon we're going to lose even more of our senses over the next few thousand years, just like we're gradually losing our strength, fitness, eyesight, sense of smell, etc.
I agree - but there are still lots of people who are superstrong, superfast etc. So why aren't we holding any Paranormal Olympic Games?

Annasdottir said:
I agree - but there are still lots of people who are superstrong, superfast etc. So why aren't we holding any Paranormal Olympic Games?

Because the pre-cogs would already know who's going to win!

Yeah, that would be cool, but a little boring probably. Dozens of people sitting around looking at matchsticks, giving the table a good kick when the judges weren't looking!

But actually there are quite a number of dowsing competitions, I read a report on one a couple of months ago. The fact that they're aren't any concerning levitation, pyrokinesis, RV, etc. does tend to suggest that these abilities are either fake or uncontrollable.

Well, in the 1950's running a mile in less than 5 minutes
was considered impossible.
Look where we are today! Could we be on a build up
to "remembering" or "relearning" these talents?

TVgeek
-I know, I know -- this is WAY WAY OT!

Back