• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted: Poo Or Boo?

Rate the Third Series of Most Haunted (Out of Five)

• 1/5- Rubbish - wouldn't miss The Salon for this one

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 2/5 - Poor - Fame Academy-esque

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 3/5 - Not too Bad I suppose - on a par with Pop Idol at it's best

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 4/5 - Good - walks all over Corrie and East enders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5/5 - Nothing stands in its way - forget the crying baby, boiling kettle etc....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not interested in this tat!

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
Look, let's dispel the myth right now.

The handheld cameras are low-light jobbies which are used to show the similarity between Pants-Yvetter and the MH crew and the cast of Blair Witch Project ...
Both are crapping themselves, both have no idea of what's going on ... and both were done on cheap budget!

Orbs? I don't think so...

I'd be seriously interested in Deggsy if he didn't camp it up so much. He may be a talented spiritualist medium but the way he behaves on MH is no good advertising for genuine psychics or sensitives. It's my reaction that the more "theatrical" the set-up and performance then the less convincing in genuine ability.

Stormkhan said:
Orbs? I don't think so...

Let's face it, if the best a location can provide is orbs then it's equivilant to saying "well this place is scary". Yes it's a very interesting phenomena and it could well be just dust etc but it's entertainingly scary effect and nothing else.

Most Haunted is on Living and I just saw the "where's me legs" bit!! awesome!

Now Yve is smelling baby sick!

Awesome!
That bit where he starts laughing, I think he's covering for corpsing.

It's the 'Greengates Brewery' episode at the mo'.

Which is quite an interesting one if you believe that nothing is faked.

Is that the one with the rolling barrels? I must agree, if not faked I would have pooped myself.

I just heard from a friend who was there that there was a knife attack on Derek (unsuccesful) at the Beaulieu Abbey wrap-up party!

Tyger Lily said:
Is that the one with the rolling barrels? I must agree, if not faked I would have pooped myself.

That's the one.

I find Derek quite entertaining, but I must admit that my trust in his abilities has been dented upon realising that on at least two occassions he has had prior visits to MH locations (Pengersik(sp?) Castle and Belgrave Hall)

Sort of puts the 'Derek has no idea of where he is going to' spiel by Yvette into question doesn't it?

Oh, and there is a rumour that Jason Karl was once a guide at Pengersik Castle.

But hey ho, it's only TV after all.

The rolling barrels was scary. I would have pegged it and that fact that the guy didn't means he has nerves of steel or it was a set-up.
So annoying that they are always so shoddy with camera work. The cross on a peice of paper moving in Derby Gaol but they hadn't set the camera up wide enough to see the edge of the paper!?!
Surely you would check that before sealing the room? Such amateurness just adds to the 'it's a set-up' feeling.

The moving barrels could have just been a coincidence that a barrel came loose at night while he was in there. The banging noise just gas escaping from a barrel or something. The moving cabinet looked like it could easily have been pushed by Derek.

I wonder if it could be a high-level set-up. i.e. Karl or Yvette are feeding Derek info but only the two of them know it's a set-up?

Or are the whole crew in on it? Entertaining TV nonetheless even if it is all a hoax.

I loved the barrel. It may have been my favourite bit of the whole series. Except for the ghostly legs in the theatre.

Wish these things'd happen to me! ;)

You don't actually see the legs though? I didn't anyway.
I want to see the London Underground one or the one with the moving table.
What is a Most Haunted Live? I'm on holiday for this one they are advertising :(

Well I like Derek Acorah. Makes me laugh. Although the whole show is not really convincing. There are a couple of problems in my mind (and forgive me if some of this has already been said but I'm jumping in at page 20 and haven't had time to read all of your posts)

1. Someone who has a vested interest in the occult like Derek, may well have been able to absorb and memorise a lot of facts about the places they visit. If these are indeed Britain's most haunted places then it follows that they are probably the best documented and that an avid fan of the occult could easily come up with a few key names once he discovers where he has been taken to. So we don't even need to posit active and conscious fraud.

2. I've noticed that in the better documented locations, Derek seems to come up with many hits - fore and surnames of people who are not only associated with the building but of whom ghost stories are told. In less well known places such as the brewery, he comes up with names that are unknown or safe bets such as Thomas and John.

3. There is no way whatsoever to judge what happens outside of the area covered by the camera or how many takes have been made. I love watching the show but the fact is that it would be easy to fake it and there would be no way for the normal viewer to tell the difference. So belief is a matter of faith, which is a pretty unfortean sentiment.

4. These orb things are boring and not in any way interesting. Some magician did a show on channel 4 or 5 recently in which he showed that digital cameras will always pick up these orbs. The claim that 'science' cannot explain them is not quite correct. They are bits of dust according to this magician.

5. This Yvette woman - God almighty! She is a nervous wreck. She'll sit there confidently demanding that the ghost should reveal itself. Suddently one of the cameramen farts and she goes into hysterics. She just makes a run for it.

6. I am not convinced by the crew's reactions when they are interviewed after the show. In the show about the Drury Lane Theatre investigation, the sceptical parapsychologist and two others saw a pair of legs. All of them agreed that it was a pair of legs and that they were not part of a body. Now, this is a mind blowing event; "Fuck me! Legs! Aaaaaaaargh! Legs without a body!! Shiiiiite! It's all true! There really are such things as ghosts!" Not; "Well, we all definitely saw them and it was definitely legs without a body. Anyway, sleep tight".

7. The music and general atmosphere of the show are designed to be spooky. No need for this if you are documenting clear evidence that the laws of physics as currently understood are being set aside on a regular basis in specific locations. Just a sober exposition of the facts, then wait for the world to stand itself on its head.

8. No facts have ever been revealed to us, which are not already known and documented. There have been a few shows where the historian claims that Derek has said something that he couldn't possibly have known. But even if we take the rest of the crew in good faith, why should Derek not have access to the same information as the historian?

9. We need someone to observe the show being made, who will be able to assure us that no deliberate fraud has taken place. Why not get Richard Dawkins in for the job? He is the Professor for Public Understanding of Science and as such ought to be interested in a high profile case such as this. He ought to welcome the chance to expose any potential fraud and to be able to verify the facts for himself.

10. I'd like to see a double blind experiment in which Derek and the crew are led to certain locations by impartial observers. Some of these will be haunted and some won't. As much care as possible should be taken to ensure that even the haunted locations are not known either to Derek or the crew. Fly them to Holland for example or to Italy. The show would be shot as usual but there would be no verification of the facts until after the series.

I'm not saying that I don't believe in ghosts because I am pretty sure I saw one myself on at least one occasion and heard one on another see:http://www.strangestories.co.uk/stories/s25.shtml

McAvennie said:
The cross on a peice of paper moving in Derby Gaol but they hadn't set the camera up wide enough to see the edge of the paper!?!
Surely you would check that before sealing the room? Such amateurness just adds to the 'it's a set-up' feeling.

I've been told that there are actually two doors into that particular cell, and thats not made clear in the programme.

However, I've never been, so I don't know for sure.

Saw the underground one last night. Few questions which apologies if they are covered before in the thread.

a) similarly to the cross on the paper why did they set up a motion capture along the platform but not a camera? There is a camera angle showing the area it covers when they set it up and one afterwards from above also showing the same area. Yet when it is set off they have no footage - not that I expect anything would show up anyway.
It just makes it look so shoddy and fake. Fair enough they may have been short on cameras and not had one spare to leave set up but why not explain that?

b) The subterraneans!?! How, Derek, will being told that some people may have lived in the underground change my perceptions on everything...religion, favourite cereal, yadda yadda?
As for the general idea I find it unlikely. Maybe a few tramps might have headed down there but whole communities? What and they have never been picked up on CCTV, hit by tube trains, electrocuted on the tracks or seen by commuters? Where exactly do they go? The majority of the tunnels are just that. Tunnels. There isn't much possibility for moving around without being killed.

c) Jason. What happened to him? Did he leave through his own accord on was he pushed and replaced by the more passive Phil? I actually prefer Phil but Jason at least poured scorn on everything and acted like a sceptic. One seen in the tunnel when Derek starts on about the subterraneans again you see him in front give a rolled eyes 'shut the fuck up you tosser' look. Was he dumped because of a behind the scenes row? Was he close to uncovering that it was all a fraud? Or did he just leave to go and do something else?

I'm sorry but Deggsy's crud about "subterraneans" is just re-hashed urban legends surrounding the cannibal/Victorian/1940's "tribe" of people living secretly on the tube. As soon as he started on this, his credibility went completely out of the question. If he actually had any to start with.

Entertainment, perhaps, but they really should stop dressing it up as "serious" investigation.

And "Pants" Yvetter? I just lurve it when she dresses up all in black leather, complete with heel-length, Matrix-style overcoat and prefaces the investigation with serious, gritted-teeth commentary about how serious they are. Then during the gig, spoils the witch-hunter effect by wimping out at the next sound. My favourite was when she wet herself when an automatic air freshener squirted while she (and some others) were in a haunted loo!
Let's face it - she's "atmosphere" ... making it seem scary. Like a cardboard skeleton during Halloween.

Yes, I was amazed at the subteranean thing. Nothing particularly outlandish about a group of people hiding away in old disused (or even used) tunnels, but to come out with that crap and in such absolute terms - I actually felt sorry for him.

And nobody pulled him up about it at the end and said; "Alright, so where are these little characters then? You said that if we go 'down there' we will experience something that will stand the world on its head."

And the pagentry didn't help either. Many of the people who wore those uniforms are still alive, some in looney bins, some in long-term residence in hospitals and some at home with their great grand children. I find it pretty disrespectful to put on their uniforms just to lighten up or liven up a show like this. Especially when the two wearing them, the softish bloke and Yvette were pretty unsoldierly in their conduct as soon as the first rat squeaked.

I think the first series and most of the 2nd was far more credible. They had a less faked feel and the majority of the time people seemed geniunely freaked.

More ghosties, better ratings, more embelishments, less credibilty sadly. Shame.

Showbiz wins out over respect and honour for people who fought and died in a horrific war. Nothing new then.

I prefer Jason Karl to Phil as the "paranormal investigator" , as at least he seemed to be genuinely informed about his subject and on occasion challenged Degsy's alledged abilities.
As likeable as Phil was, he did tend to hover around not contributing much.

Was Jason pushed as he didn't "tow the line"?

Didn't Jason Karl start out as an actor? It seems he went on a few spectral chases and he's now a fully qualified parapsychologist.

Jesus.

Dunno!
Whatever his background, he seemed to me to balance the more recent acceptance in the show of everything Derek says as being factual!

http://www.jasondexterkarl.com/

I hereby pronounce Jason Karl's credibility dead and buried.

Check out 'Jason Karl's Chocolate orb's'. Yuck.

Oh dear. If you look at his page on IMDB his 'NotableTV Guest Appearances' list 1987 - Knightmare playing Himself (Dungeoneer). For those who dont know Knightmare was a kids game show where kids went on and tried to get through a CGI maze.
Listed under his less showbiz given name...Julian Smith.

Parapsychologist? You're having a laugh.

Wasn't he the organiser of Ghost "Con by name, con by nature" con?

london underground

Just seen the one about Aldwych (?) station.

Finally confirmed to me what rubbish Derek says. All that nonsense about people living down there!!

Pure bull.

Heres some info on Jason Karl (at the bottom of the page)

http://www.ghosts-uk.net/modules/ne...784&forum=30&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=10

I was told by David Scanlan of the HGC that Crag Y Nos (the place that was to host Ghost Con) had a wedding the weekend of Ghost-Con, but "felt" compelled to cancel when Ghost Con came along. The wedding organisers were paid a fair bit in compensation...and then Ghost Con cancelled, leaving Crag Y Nos with nothing that weekend.

By the way, I have heard that Most Haunted still haven't paid Beaulieu for the live show there that night!

I've given up on Most Haunted now. I used to find it amusing but now it just feels like same old same old. Much prefer Dead Famous.

someone i know works in the building that use to be St Marys of Bethlehem Hospital, better known as Bedlam. It housed the most insane and violent patients London could produce back in the 18th Century!

Would make a superb place for MH!

Hi,
It would make a great place for FT researchers... could you possibly see if we could get access? Pretty please ;)

we have a night out with them soon. I'll bring it up then.

They have file & strongrooms down in the basement. Its not much, but the door open & close by themselves, and the lights play around too.

vibrations from the tube line that runs near by are freaky too!!

moley22 said:
someone i know works in the building that use to be St Marys of Bethlehem Hospital, better known as Bedlam. It housed the most insane and violent patients London could produce back in the 18th Century!

Would make a superb place for MH!

What - The Imperial War Museum? The 18th Century "Bedlam" was long ago pulled down (before it fell down - shocking state of disrepair!) and now is covered by large multistory buildings.
The greatest inmate of Bedlam - both old and "new" - was James Tilley Matthews, victim of the Air Loom Gang!

When I worked in Libertys of Regent St., one of the jobs I had to do was "man" the stationery room. Being in the basement and fairly quiet, I could often hear and feel the tube trains running out of Oxford Circus.

Back