• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mother's Subtle Messages From The Other Side

My Nan died very suddenly 5 years ago this week, she was a fairly fit and healthy 73yr old, no known issues - but had a heart attack and died at home in the early hours - she was found on the upstairs landing as if she'd been on her way to the bathroom.

She was a Jehovah's Witness, which means that they believe they death of the body is also the death of the soul and there is no afterlife. I was brought up outside the religion (thankfully!) so i have always believed in ghosts/spirits and their ability to contact us from whatever lies beyond.

We went down to Hastings for the funeral and were allowed to choose a few ornaments to remember her by. I chose two small blue vases and put them on the dresser in our living room at home.

Later that week, we began having events on or near the dresser. The CD player, which we never use because of streaming services, turned itself on and started playing at about 6.30am. A day or so later an old nokia phone in the drawer (you all have that drawer) turned itself on and the alarm began going off. It hadn't been used in years, had no business having charge left, and definitely didn't have an alarm set.

Me being me, read into this that my Nan was trying to contact us and so i booked an appointment with a medium. I hadn't used this medium before and didn't give her any of the info about why i was booking a reading. As i expected, my Nan did come through and told us that she hadn't been in any pain and it had been very quick which was a great comfort to us.

As a Jehovah's witness, her beliefs meant that she shouldn't have been around to contact us but in this instance it appears our beliefs and need for comfort trumped hers?! I remember my aunt being furious that we had even tried to contact her, because of their beliefs, but it brought us a lot of peace and comfort to know she hadn't suffered.

A few months after my Mum died, I read an article about something called Betty's Bunch's

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/kind-hearted-cleethorpes-woman-inspires-3193521

The general gist of this is that in honour of her late mother, she would give an elderly lady a bunch of flowers every time she went shopping, as she was unable to buy her Mum flowers anymore. One time she didn't encounter any older women when out shopping, so she dropped the flowers off at a care home saying it was a Bettys Bunch and to give it to a resident.

Some time passed and she once again failed to find an elderly lady to pass the bunch of flowers to, so she called by the same care home and was told that since she had last dropped flowers off, it had made such a difference to the lady they gave the first bunch of flowers to, they had made Bettys Bunch a weekly tradition.

It made me tear up reading this, as my Mum despite having terminal cancer herself, would go visit another friend of hers who was in the advanced stages of terminal cancer with his favourite flowers, to make sure that he would always be surrounded by the things he loved the most which were freesias. I thought to myself that this was a beautiful story and that I would love to do this in honour of my Mum.

Without mentioning this to a living soul, the very next morning my 8-year-old son came downstairs telling me that he had a lovely dream where he and Grandma had been picking flowers together, they were going in peoples gardens and finding the most beautiful ones and were giving them to people to make them smile.

I like to think my Mum knew I had thought of her when reading this story and had found a way to let me know that she thought it was a lovely idea too.

A few months after my Mum died, I read an article about something called Betty's Bunch's

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/kind-hearted-cleethorpes-woman-inspires-3193521

The general gist of this is that in honour of her late mother, she would give an elderly lady a bunch of flowers every time she went shopping, as she was unable to buy her Mum flowers anymore. One time she didn't encounter any older women when out shopping, so she dropped the flowers off at a care home saying it was a Bettys Bunch and to give it to a resident.

Some time passed and she once again failed to find an elderly lady to pass the bunch of flowers to, so she called by the same care home and was told that since she had last dropped flowers off, it had made such a difference to the lady they gave the first bunch of flowers to, they had made Bettys Bunch a weekly tradition.

It made me tear up reading this, as my Mum despite having terminal cancer herself, would go visit another friend of hers who was in the advanced stages of terminal cancer with his favourite flowers, to make sure that he would always be surrounded by the things he loved the most which were freesias. I thought to myself that this was a beautiful story and that I would love to do this in honour of my Mum.

Without mentioning this to a living soul, the very next morning my 8-year-old son came downstairs telling me that he had a lovely dream where he and Grandma had been picking flowers together, they were going in peoples gardens and finding the most beautiful ones and were giving them to people to make them smile.

I like to think my Mum knew I had thought of her when reading this story and had found a way to let me know that she thought it was a lovely idea too.
What a beautiful story Violets. As I've said before, I wish our deceased loved ones could give definite messages, instead of subtle ones, which may get lost in "translation".

What a beautiful story Violets. As I've said before, I wish our deceased loved ones could give definite messages, instead of subtle ones, which may get lost in "translation".
I read a great story about a seance/reading/medium-type situation (forget which) where the puzzling message was 'No walls in Heaven!'

This was told to the widow of the deceased who understood that it referred to ice cream; the couple had promised each other that whoever died first would tell the other what Heaven was like. The message was not about walls but Walls. :nods:

I read a great story about a seance/reading/medium-type situation (forget which) where the puzzling message was 'No walls in Heaven!'

This was told to the widow of the deceased who understood that it referred to ice cream; the couple had promised each other that whoever died first would tell the other what Heaven was like. The message was not about walls but Walls. :nods:
A very weird thing happened to me , not really paranormal but very strange nonetheless. I was working very late in the kitchens of the Falmouth hotel cleaning up , I had three jobs all along that same strip by gyllingvaese beach (sic) and I had music playing. I was listening to a tape that my sister had made for me years ago and one song on it was Heart and Soul by Joy Division ,a band I have loved since the late 70s as a little kid through raiding older siblings record collection. Anyway, I hadn't heard this song in years , come to think of it it may not have been THAT tape specifically but I remember the song came on and I just stopped what I was doing and with my back against the wall I just slid down to a sitting position and listened intently , thinking about this one beloved sister. Really intensely. It finished and I kind of shook it all off and got back to work. But it kind of stayed with me.
Anyway , no idea WHY it took so long but a couple of days later I got a shocking call one of my two sisters , THAT sister , had died. And it turned out that she died on that very night of the joy Division thing. The very night.
And on that same night , my other sister who lived in the same city as K ,our /her sister had a dream that she was with her in a room and K was going to go through a door in the room. My sister was frantic to accompany her but was repeatedly told " No , you can't come with me" , despite her pleading.... The same night again. A message?? A portent?? Who knows....

A very weird thing happened to me , not really paranormal but very strange nonetheless. I was working very late in the kitchens of the Falmouth hotel cleaning up , I had three jobs all along that same strip by gyllingvaese beach (sic) and I had music playing. I was listening to a tape that my sister had made for me years ago and one song on it was Heart and Soul by Joy Division ,a band I have loved since the late 70s as a little kid through raiding older siblings record collection. Anyway, I hadn't heard this song in years , come to think of it it may not have been THAT tape specifically but I remember the song came on and I just stopped what I was doing and with my back against the wall I just slid down to a sitting position and listened intently , thinking about this one beloved sister. Really intensely. It finished and I kind of shook it all off and got back to work. But it kind of stayed with me.
Anyway , no idea WHY it took so long but a couple of days later I got a shocking call one of my two sisters , THAT sister , had died. And it turned out that she died on that very night of the joy Division thing. The very night.
And on that same night , my other sister who lived in the same city as K ,our /her sister had a dream that she was with her in a room and K was going to go through a door in the room. My sister was frantic to accompany her but was repeatedly told " No , you can't come with me" , despite her pleading.... The same night again. A message?? A portent?? Who knows....
I know that's not especially a mother tale , bit after my Mom died a couple of years ago , my sister and I were staying at her house to sort various things out and one day we were in her bedroom and two butterflies were sitting together on the wall , both yellow ... My Mom had a thing about butterflies , honestly , if a butterfly came into her house she was absolutely convinced it was my deceased sister and she would follow it around from room to room talking to it. AND , again I'm not making this up , her favourite colour was yellow , so the presence of two yellow butterflies on her bedroom wall actually made me stop and think , Hmmm maybe there's something otherworldly about these two lovely creatures

It sounds like your sisters, mother and you were all very deeply connected, and I suppose you still are. My sympathy to you and your surviving sister. May you both enjoy good health and happy times together for many years, and may you stay deeply connected as well to your beloved deceased sister and mother.

It sounds like your sisters, mother and you were all very deeply connected, and I suppose you still are. My sympathy to you and your surviving sister. May you both enjoy good health and happy times together for many years, and may you stay deeply connected as well to your beloved deceased sister and mother.
Thank you , IbisNibs , and I reciprocate the wish to you and everyone. I wasn't trying to elicit sympathy , it was just a case of recalling those strange events I guess. Those two yellow butterflies really comforted me and I hope they're having fun wherever they are now . I appreciate your very kind post

I know that's not especially a mother tale , bit after my Mom died a couple of years ago , my sister and I were staying at her house to sort various things out and one day we were in her bedroom and two butterflies were sitting together on the wall , both yellow ... My Mom had a thing about butterflies , honestly , if a butterfly came into her house she was absolutely convinced it was my deceased sister and she would follow it around from room to room talking to it. AND , again I'm not making this up , her favourite colour was yellow , so the presence of two yellow butterflies on her bedroom wall actually made me stop and think , Hmmm maybe there's something otherworldly about these two lovely creatures
Funnily enough that's got me thinking. I have posted previously about the appearance in my house of a single Red Admiral butterfly every year in about March. My mother also liked butterflies, especially Red Admirals, and usually (exception last year) they appear on the winter flowering plant I still have which was cherished by mum. I have never connected these two things but your post has got me wondering.
{As an aside you can buy a butterfly creation kit which Ms PeteS did for her residents last year. You get everything to allow the butterflies to develop and then let them go. Every one survived for the residents. I'm going to buy some this year for release at my house.)

I wonder why such 'messages' - and indeed, many contacts from 'the other side' - are so subtle? A sceptic might claim that such a lack of explictness is proof of self-delusion...at best; but my own view is that solid proof of survival after death, though (meretriciously) wonderful and comforting, would soon present a real existential challenge to us.

I wonder why such 'messages' - and indeed, many contacts from 'the other side' - are so subtle? A sceptic might claim that such a lack of explictness is proof of self-delusion...at best; but my own view is that solid proof of survival after death, though (meretriciously) wonderful and comforting, would soon present a real existential challenge to us.
Thanks , Steven.... That's an interesting point... I would like to think that I'd appreciate knowing one way or another what was in store after death , but you could be right , maybe it would hang too heavy upon us , our decisions etc. I would like to know if my late family and friends are ok .... I just hope so I suppose. Yea sceptics , self delusion might be viable but comfort and peace of mind is very important too.... Nobody knows but as I said those two yellow butterflies helped me in a strange and profound way . Maybe I am tapped , I don't know !!
That butterfly kit sounds incredible , I will have to look it up and buy one.
Golly that was very ethereal and pseudo profound for someone who listens to Slayer (and grimaces musically !!)

I have moaned about this before on here.

Whether by intention or design, it could be that such inconclusive and mysterious hints of survival are in fact a kindness to those who mourn; a kindness which spares us the burden of full, definite knowledge and its resultant consequences.

Sorry, mate, I rarely make myself clear: I was suggesting that the burden of our definitely knowing that there is survival after death might be too heavy for us (the living, that is). At very least, this certain knowledge would surely affect the way we lead our lives, and that's merely the most positive possible consequence of our knowing.

Sorry, mate, I rarely make myself clear: I was suggesting that the burden of our definitely knowing that there is survival after death might be too heavy for us (the living, that is). At very least, this certain knowledge would surely affect the way we lead our lives, and that's merely the most positive possible consequence of our knowing.
Yup, and we might think of those who are so absolutely convinced that there IS an afterlife that what happens in 'this' one hardly matters.

Doesn't matter whether they're right or wrong. Things can go badly.

As far as I aware my late father has not made any attempt to communicate apart from the odd dream, he may be trying but I have missed it, however is it not the case that many people shed their mortal bodies and earthly identities on death and enter the place of the soul where earthly identity is not really required, you are what you are so to speak

So in my reasoning, the majority of people die move on, either stay put or reincarnate, very few are that bothered about life here, after all if you are going to live forever (as the soul does) why would your brief sojourn on earth be of any bother? If could have been one of many you have had like how many holidays you've had, you only remember the highlights

Some however might hang about for a while and their attempts to communicate could be their confusion as to what has happened to them

I seem to have come to the end of my dreams about those who have died. I still get teary remembering the one about my dad, being with his dad in my aunt's house, how desperate I was to tell him I loved him (when he knew, I'm pretty sure). But just lately the house has been full of butterflies, living and dead. I suppose the unseasonable warm weather has brought them out of hibernation, and I'm fairly sure there's no connection between them and deceased relatives. I still see them and smile though.

But it is interesting / depressing that my mom and sister don't seem to want anything to do with me in dreams.... I could understand if I was a world beater !! My deceased great friend Adam has come forth more and more recently and I am stoked that such a bon viveur has coupled up with Ollie Reed and Peter o'Toole , his natural buds of the bended elbow ....

But it is interesting / depressing that my mom and sister don't seem to want anything to do with me in dreams.... I could understand if I was a world beater !! My deceased great friend Adam has come forth more and more recently and I am stoked that such a bon viveur has coupled up with Ollie Reed and Peter o'Toole , his natural buds of the bended elbow ....
I DEMAND TO HAVE SOME BOOZE !!

I have come to the conclusion that, if they don't come through they are not there, or we are assigning earthly human emotions to the soul, if we reincarnate each life is like a holiday or an individual film, they may have some memories but only the high and low lights, if they are desperate to communicate I don't think it's a particularly good sign as they may be stuck at a lower level

We seem to think that when we depart we just exchange this life for some idyllic life similar to the one we are leading now but with no bills and illness! I am pretty sure there is an illusionary plain where souls are living out their vision of the afterlife, perhaps that's why the descriptions tend to vary from NDE survivors

Back