• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Movie Discussion: 'May'

StoryofE

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Anybody seen this one yet? Read a couple of good reviews on aint it cool news months ago and then couple of weeks ago on Ebert & Roeper, Ebert said it was 'the best horror debut from a director since the 1st Halloween'. Roeper of course, hated it, which is a good thing most of the time. Apparently they showed it at Sundance and nobody would touch it, so Lions Gate bought it for a small sum of money. Having heard all of this I thought I would give it a rent.

This is easily the most disturbing movie I have seen since 'Audition'. The performance by the girl who plays the disturbed title character is just incredible. She is, at times, equal parts terrifying, sad, and funny. It's too bad she will probably never be recognized for this. The story is very slow paced with May becoming more and more unhinged as it unfolds. It contains one of the most disturbing moments I have seen in a looooong time in a flick and even though beautifully done, it's hard to believe that it didn't cause controversy and was probably the reason nobody wanted to pick it up at Sundance for distribution.

This is one best I've seen this year, horror or otherwise, and I'll definitely be picking this one up. If you get a chance, check this one out.

:cool:

The woman who played May was phenomenal in the role. The movie itself, I liked somewhat less.

Definitely worth a look, though. Why are antique dolls always so friggin' creepy?

I asked around and a couple of my friends said that they watched it last week, said that they watched 2/3 of it and got so bored that they gave up(!)

may i

Like Carrie and Silence of the lambs in that you can watch it as a creepy psychological horror story and/or a young woman's journey, although May's seems doomed from the start. Basically a cult item, this year's Donnie Darko.

Read good reviews and actually picked it up in Blockbuster. Not a fan of sharp thing on eye action though. Are the eye cutting scenes gory and grimmo?
I like being scared by creepy dolls though so may give it a look.

Back