• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Movie Discussion/Review: 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(2003)

StoryofE

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I went in expecting this pointless remake to be crap, but ended up really enjoying it. They changed enough of the original story to keep it interesting and upped the gore factor quite a bit. For me the highlight of the film was definitely R. Lee Ermey as the sheriff, he was just incredible. Scary and repulsive at the same time. Biel did a good job, showing off her best attributes as an actress. I also liked that they brought back John Laroquette to do the narration. My biggest complaint would be the 'Blair Witch' type newsreel footage that bookends the film.

On a sidenote, I gotta mention the trailer for this film. I love trailers and I drive my friends crazy rushing them to get to the theater early enough to catch the previews. The trailer for this one is one of the best I have ever seen. I probably wouldn't have seen this one on the big screen if it wasn't for the trailer. I think I liked the trailer better than the actual movie. It better be on the dvd!!

:smokin:

Much the same as above. I wasn't too bothered about the film but saw the trailer and thought 'Maybe...' I got home from work and my bird had also seen the trailer and wanted to go so we went on Halloween.
It was great and repulsive at the same time. It at points made me question why I was paying to be entertained is such a sick way but it was entertaining.
Agreed R Lee Emery was great in it, and the young cast of unknowns did well. the 70's feel was captured well and I like the way the story beginbs in a way that it plausibly be a sequel to the original..
I like the original, it is weird and disturbing in a way not seen these days. This however is more mainstream and accessible. Yet it never sells out to teen slasher levels of dumbness.
the best US horror since Scream IMO - 2nd best if you call 6th Sense horror.
Anyone spot Harry knowles head in Leatherfacee's basement?

Sorry, found it all a little souless, and surprisingly repetative. Thought the trailer was actually better than the film. Didn't really see the point of the remake as it didn't really expand the movie, just tried to repeat it, a case of it it ain't broken don't fix it unless you are a greedy film producer . However it at least wasn't played for laughs, or to cheap shocks which was redeeming.
P.S Now we have the Dawn of the Dead remake to wait for, personally I will never tire of Zombies.

What came across very strongly to me all the way through the original was that it was an analogy of the way people treat animals ( killing them dispassionately, using their body parts for ornaments etc) I'm not interested in seeing the remake but I wonder if that aspect still comes across in it.

Interesting the gore factored has been upped

Haven't seen it yet (probably wait till the DVD comes out) but I was intrigued to see it advertised on TV - given that the original was for so long banned as a 'video nasty'.

Gore Factor

Interesting the gore factored has been upped
That was what was so great about the original, all of the gore, and by gore I mean blood and guts, was implied. There was hardly any gore in the original. There was quite a bit of onscreen violence, but hardly any gore at all.

Re: Gore Factor

lennynero said:
That was what was so great about the original, all of the gore, and by gore I mean blood and guts, was implied. There was hardly any gore in the original. There was quite a bit of onscreen violence, but hardly any gore at all.

That's true.

And still it was banned....

Similar thoughts I have on Clockwork Orange. Watched now it's not that bad at all and is IMO a fairly accurate representation of the UK circa 2003.
Had it not been banned and it's message understood instead of misread as violent glorification then we may not be where we are now.
It was a tale predicting how society would end up, a warning, they banned it and guess what...
Schmucks.
Next poster please return from this tangent...

Anyone spot Harry knowles head in Leatherfacee's basement?
It was even more hideous than Leatherface's true face.

:cross eye

Chainsaw Orange

There was not much gore except when Leatherface cuts his leg, and it was gorier when it happened in the original. Oh yeah and the girl who blews her brains out in the van, other than that no gore. Still think the remake is unremarkable in all aspects.
Someone was asking about the meat analogy, it is kinda implied and then force fed to the audience with a chase in the Blair Meat Factory with animals/carcasses ahoy. Crass to say the least.

P.S with regard to Clockwork Orange being banned, it wasn't the BBFC who banned it, it was Stanley Kubrick, who felt the English couldn't cope with it. He thought we would all go on a ultra violence spree.Kubrick also bankrupted with legal proceedings,the wonderfully eclectic Scala cinema in London when they dared to show it in the late 90's(about a year before his death). That I will never understand......pompus or wot!

P.S with regard to Clockwork Orange being banned, it wasn't the BBFC who banned it, it was Stanley Kubrick, who felt the English couldn't cope with it.
Wasn't there actual incidents where people dressed up like the characters and actually assaulted other people? I remember seeing a documentary on Kubrick and they showed the newspaper articles and headlines where this had happened. I thought this was what led to Kubrick's yanking the film from English cinemas. I think the name of the documentary was A Life in Pictures or something of that nature.

Back