• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Moving Comic Book

razorblimp

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Not the most exciting story, but this happened on monday, I'd be interested in what people think.

I went to stay with a friend in Manchester., and after a long day of driving, partying and gigging, I had to go to bed. I usually spend the night tossing and turning unless I read, so I read a comic book I'd bought especially for the occasion, and when I got so tired I could barely keep my eyes open I threw it down into my bag which was on the floor, on top of my spare clothes so it wouldn't clunk when it hit the ground and therefore not wake anyone up. I'd been awake for about 21 hours and was knackered, and aware of how old I'm getting.

The bed I slept in was a bunk bed, and the top one was cleared for when his eldest daughter stays (he's separated from his ex-partner), and despite having to sleep under a duvet that had something like 'pretty in pink' written on it, I had a reasonable nights sleep, disturbed only by his 1 1/2 yr old son crying and a minor hypnogogic incident which was interesting, but probably only to me. When I awoke the next morning, the comic book was sitting very neatly next to a box on the bottom bunk, well away from where I'd thrown it. The bag was still open, I could see my clothes inside and, before any suggests it, it did not bounce onto the bed. The bed was full of boxes and bits and bobs which more or less prevented anything landing on it and it staying there. Aside from someone coming in and looking at it, (not to my knowledge), not likely as I generally sleep badly in strange beds, I can't think of how it happened, but the comic book was definitely in the bag when I went to sleep.

I'm putting it down to a four-hour drive, excitement over a concert and dehydration.

Just to make you happy

I used to listen to my personal stereo at night and would invariably fall asleep with the headphones still in my ears. Several times I would wake up in the morning and my stereo would be by my bed on the floor, with the headphones wrapped around it. Yet other times I would wake up with the wire wrapped around me.

I always put it down to my subconscious brain - that I was too tired to remember doing it.

I'm not really in the habit of doing things like that though, and it would have meant climbing down from the top bunk, picking the book up and placing it on the bed!

razorblimp said:
I'm not really in the habit of doing things like that though, and it would have meant climbing down from the top bunk, picking the book up and placing it on the bed!

From view number 37 ( ?), I don't have much to offer except this:

I can't explain it. Sorry.

I would think that's why most people didn't reply. As you can see. my reply is no help.

I bought a sleep mask because of the early light and I still wake up at 4.30 inthe morning 'cos I've taken it off in my sleep. Don't remember doing it, but the invariably the dog is lying on it when I wake up.

Redhead said:
razorblimp said:

From view number 37 ( ?), I don't have much to offer except this:

I can't explain it. Sorry.

I would think that's why most people didn't reply. As you can see. my reply is no help.

Ah ha! I can understand no-one replying actually, I've had something happen I can't explain myself and it actually feels quite mundane, but this is one of the best replies I've read on here for ages!

Blue Poppy said:
I bought a sleep mask because of the early light and I still wake up at 4.30 inthe morning 'cos I've taken it off in my sleep. Don't remember doing it, but the invariably the dog is lying on it when I wake up.

at the opposite end of the body . When its cold I got to bed with socks on and they always seem to come off and end up outside the bed by the morning. It also happened once with my pyjama trousers!

Comic books, like eating utensils, are in that class of household object that seemingly have a life of their own and, apparently, tend to go on personal sojourns, sometimes.

Having a comprehensive list of what I have, or don't have, in my current collection of comic materials, I am sometimes forced to take inventory of the boxes, every couple of months or so, just to square it off with any of the new books that I have purchased and what I currently have recorded in my database as to owning. Now, the boxes are sorted alphabetically and, as I've said, I keep a list as to what should be contained therein -- if they aren't in the boxes then, quite frankly, they aren't anywhere else. Anyhow, I think you can probably guess where this is going: some books have vanished out of storage and, despite searching my apartment high and low for the missing issue (even though, as I said, it's an impossibility for it to be anywhere else), it is never found. Now, there are two things worth mentioning: I am an avid collector and am not prone to just mis-placing an issue. Secondly, even if I were want to sell them (which I'm not), there's really no place around the small town that I live in, that would offer me the kind of value that the things are worth to make it worth my while (and I don't do e-Bay.) So, what I'm saying, is the pipeline just works one way: stuff comes in, it never gets shipped out (and certainly not accidentally.)

Utensils are the same way. When I first moved into my residency, I had so many forks, so many knives, and so many spoons (six each.) I don't have a dishwasher and so, whatever utensils I have, should either be in the drawer, in the sink, or in the dish rack, in that order. I've since added more cutlery (and no longer keep track of vanishing kitchen items -- since I'm never destitute for a fork nowadays, who cares, right?), but at that time, from that original set, I believe I was down to something like 4-3-4 items, respectively. Where did the other implements go? I have no idea. But I think, like comics, that if you don't confirm their reality once in a while, they tend to take offence, pack their bags, and go travelling (you just happened to glimpse yours during mid-transit.) :)

Polterdog.

Hi, all I coulld possibly come up with, is the fact that, you were so tired, and maybe, just maybe, you might have needed the bathroom.
You may have woken and on either going or returning, you might have placed the comic, onto the bed, in a sub-concious state of mind.
It is easily done. :D

Back