• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'm wondering if there is building work going on in the vicinity. I think the Museum is still in buildings on Oxford Road. Perhaps a visit is called for - it's years since I paid my respects to the collection. :)

I'll see you over there then. ;)

theyithian said:
That aside, I'd I'm not particularly concerned with the 'exactly 180 degrees' claim.
Watching the initial position in the video versus the end position, it's not 'exactly 180 degrees', through it's certainly within 10 degrees or so.

The fact it only moves when the lights are on certainly indicates it's moving due to vibrations of some sort, whether from visitors walking or construction nearby.

My first thought was that it is due to the vibration of the visitors feet as the walk about as the movement only happens when the light are on during opening hours. I'm guessing that the bottom isn't completely flat or some such thing.

Mystery as museum statue starts turning in display case
An Eygptian statuette that mysteriously turns itself round inside its display case has left experts baffled at the Manchester Museum.
[video]
3:52PM BST 23 Jun 2013

Even eminent television physicist Professor Brian Cox has weighed in on the mystery of Manchester Museum's moving statuette, which dates back to 1800 BC.
The 10-inch tall statue of Neb Sanu was discovered in a mummy’s tomb and has been with the Museum for eighty years, but has only recently been noticed moving.

Prof Cox, who teaches physics at the city's university, claims the movement is due to the "differential friction".

However, Manchester Museum's resident Egyptologist Campbell Price suggested something more sinister, an Egyptian curse.
"I noticed one day that it had turned around. I thought it was strange because it is in a case and I am the only one who has a key," he explained in an interview with the Manchester Evening News.

“I put it back but then the next day it had moved again. We set up a time-lapse video and, although the naked eye can’t see it, you can clearly see it rotate on the film. The statuette is something that used to go in the tomb along with the mummy.
“In Ancient Egypt they believed that if the mummy is destroyed then the statuette can act as an alternative vessel for the spirit. Maybe that is what is causing the movement.”. :shock:

He went on the cast doubt on Prof Cox's explanation: “Brian thinks it’s differential friction, where two surfaces - the serpentine stone of the statuette and glass shelf it is on - cause a subtle vibration which is making the statuette turn.
“But it has been on those surfaces since we have had it and it has never moved before. And why would it go around in a perfect circle?”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvid ... -case.html

You are late to the party. Hurry inside before the vol-au-vents all go.

Edit: threads merged; link removed.

On the trail of Manchester Museum's moving Egyptian mummy
An ancient statue has worked wonders for Manchester Museum
By Neil Tweedie
6:55AM BST 26 Jun 2013

Little is known of Neb-Senu, a name equivalent to John Smith in ancient Egypt. He was a civil servant, probably, and a senior one; a man of means, given the quality of the statue that was made to act as a lifeboat for his soul, should his mummified body ever be destroyed. Old Neb died in about 1800 BC, and that really should have been that – just another bit of trade for Osiris, god of the afterlife. But now, 3,800 years later, he’s back, and doing wonders for visitor numbers at Manchester Museum. 8)

Neb’s statue, housed at the institution for 80 years, has suddenly started to rotate – anti-clockwise, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. One day, his face is turned towards those peering into the glass case that houses him; the next, his back is turned.

Why the statue rotates is one of those mysteries that allow us to forget the likes of George Osborne for a moment. Lighter statues next to Neb’s don’t move, nor do the Perspex cubes that number each item. The display case is locked, and only two members of staff have a key. Science, in the guise of the ubiquitous Professor Brian Cox, has attempted an explanation, but some prefer an other-worldly cause.

“I don’t believe this is a purely physical thing,” says Anna Garnett, an Egyptologist attached to the museum. “This appears to involve a force beyond the physical. Some will say that the spirit of Neb-Senu has entered the statue, and I for one would not discount that.”

The figurine, just 10 inches tall and carved from serpentine, became a subject of worldwide interest after Campbell Price, curator of the museum’s large collection of Egyptian artefacts, resorted to time-lapse photography to catch the statue as it turned. And so it did. The footage went viral on the internet and telephones at the museum have not stopped ringing since.

“It’s been on the ABC breakfast show in America and we’ve had calls from Germany, Italy, Serbia and Japan,” says Garnett. “I’m off to do CNN now.”

A stream of people is filing past the cabinet when your correspondent arrives.
“My mother saw it on television in Hong Kong and asked me to get a picture,” says Yulan Li, a Chinese student studying in Northampton. “Maybe there is magic here.”

Or maybe the great god HGV, who now and then rumbles down neighbouring Oxford Road. Yet there is no obvious traffic vibration, and no adjacent machinery – an air-con unit, say. “Maybe it’s a magnetic force,” ventures Milia Bane, from Galway.
“It’s a toughie,” says John, her perplexed other half. “Mad that, innit?” offers Nathan Ferguson from Failsworth, Manchester. “Summut mad there.”

Summut mad all right. The statuette was bequeathed in 1933 by one Annie Barlow, a mill owner from Bolton who, like many of her wealthy contemporaries, sponsored archaeological digs. This was the era of great discoveries – only a decade earlier, Howard Carter had unearthed the tomb of Tutankhamun.

“We don’t know anything about the tomb from which the statue came,” says Garnett, “only that it carries Neb-Senu’s name and hieroglyphs offering a standard gift to Osiris of beer, beef and fowl.”

Neb’s job and status can be gauged from his attire, a civil-service-issue kilt. The statuette was re-housed in the cabinet last November, and soon started turning. Prof Cox suggests “differential friction”, but even an O-level physicist knows a force must be exerted to move an object.

“There is a suggestion that the turning is caused by people walking past and causing vibrations, but on one occasion when the chamber was empty, the statue moved 45 degrees in 90 minutes,” says Garnett.

So what’s eating Neb? Has his tomb been destroyed by robber or earthquake, forcing his soul to flee into the figurine? A few feet away lie sarcophagi belonging to two wealthy brothers, Khnum-Nakht and Nekht-Ankh. Maybe, just maybe, Neb doesn’t like his new neighbours. Maybe he was in the equivalent of the Inland Revenue, and they ran ancient Egypt’s answer to Google. Garnett says that she, too, has sensed a tension between the exhibits.

Curse of the Mummy? Or the curse of Eddie Stobart? Watch this space…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/muse ... mummy.html

I remember reading something ages ago on the Egyptian section of the British Museum saying that the Shabti (miniature figurines of slaves) were moving around inside their glass cases leaving trails in the sand.

I found an earlier thread on moving Egyptian relics, so I've combined it with the more recent Moving Egyptian Statue thread.

P_M

Moving Statues threads merged

More on the new Mystery Map series and Manchester Museum's moving Egyptian statue.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ient-egyptian-statue-isnt-cursed-8951201.html

Riddle of rotating Egyptian statue in Manchester museum solved

VIDEO: The statue, of a man called Neb-Sanu, appeared to turn itself during the day

The Independent. James Legge. 20 November 2013

An ancient Egyptian statue which sparked whispers of an ancient curse when it was found to be turning on its axis inside its display case at a museum wasn't cursed after all, a TV mystery solver has claimed.

An expert from a new ITV show says his evidence of external vibrations turning the 10-inch tall statue "is conclusive."

Bosses at Manchester Museum were puzzled by the statuette which - a video showed - seemed to spin itself through 180 degrees without anyone touching it.

The 10-inch tall statue of Neb-Sanu, which dates back nearly 4,000 years and was found in a mummy’s tomb, has been at the Museum for eighty years. The time-lapse video showed it turning during the day, apparently of its own volition. During the night, however, it remained still.

At the time Campbell Price, an Egyptologist at the museum, suggested the museum may have been struck by ancient curse, telling the Manchester Evening News: "I noticed one day that it had turned around. I thought it was strange because it is in a case and I am the only one who has a key.

“I put it back but then the next day it had moved again. We set up a time-lapse video and, although the naked eye can’t see it, you can clearly see it rotate on the film. The statuette is something that used to go in the tomb along with the mummy.

“In ancient Egypt they believed that if the mummy is destroyed then the statuette can act as an alternative vessel for the spirit. Maybe that is what is causing the movement.”.

The video sparked fevered debate. One Independent.co.uk reader commented: "Maybe it's due to some sort of magnetic force. Is it pointing somewhere? Like it's original tomb?"

And another - cynically, some might say - wrote: "I have a simple explanation. The curator opens the cabinet and turns it a little every once in a while.

"Once recorded by time lapse, it's a simple matter to go through the video and edit out the frames where he appears, giving the illusion that it turns all by itself."

Professor Brian Cox, who teaches physics at the university, gave a more worldly explanation. Mr Price said: “Brian thinks it’s differential friction, where two surfaces - the serpentine stone of the statuette and glass shelf it is on - cause a subtle vibration which is making the statuette turn."

And now ITV's Mystery Map programme claims to have solved the conundrum, backing Prof Cox's explanation. Their expert Steve Gosling put three-axis vibration sensors under the cabinet, and found a peak vibration level - coinciding with movement from passers-by and traffic from the very busy Oxford Road nearby.

He said: "The vibration is a combination of multiple sources so there's buses outside on the busy road, there's footfall activity. And it's all of those things combined.

"This statue has a convex base. There's a lump at the bottom which makes it more susceptible to vibrations than the others which have a flat base.

"This is conclusive."

Writing on his blog about the "quite incredible" reaction he got to the video, posted online in June, Mr Price sounded a note of caution about the effect the storm had on perceptions of Egyptology.

He said: "There has been an understandable concern that the worldwide media attention of the ‘spinning statuette’ has reinforced tired ideas of ancient Egypt being weird, mysterious and spooky.

"These ideas are still deeply ingrained in modern culture and the museum has attempted – as we have done for other topics – to challenge these through explanations of (equally interesting) Pharaonic beliefs and practices."

But he said that if the storm causes a few people to visit the museum and learn about ancient Egypt who otherwise wouldn't have, then the flurry of attention had been worthwhile.

And Neb-Sanu's spinning days have come to an end, Mr Price said, adding: "A conservation-grade membrane has now been affixed to the base of this and other objects to prevent movement in future."

Those Egyptian curses have really gone downhill if they're reduced to making a little pot thing turn through 180 degrees! :lol:

Moving Egyptian Statue

inserbia.info/news/2013/06/museu ... elf-video/
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine ...

Here's the text from the MIA Web article. To see photos of the statuette go to the archived version at the Wayback Machine. The video originally associated with this June 2013 is not included with the archived version.
In the “Manchester Museum” something inexplicable began to happen: nearly 4,000-year-old Egyptian statue rotates itself, and curators and experts generally cannot discover what is going on. ...

The statue of a man called Neb-Seine has been unveiled in his tomb, which was found to date back 1,800 BC. Old Egyptians used to, beside mummified bodies, place statues made in their image, believing that in the case the body is destroyed, the soul could use the figure as its next destination.

However, even though the statue is placed in the “Manchester Museum” for full 80 years, at the same place, in a glass case, mentioned statue, about 25 cm tall, started to rotate itself for exactly 180 degrees in February this year.

“When I first noticed that one of our Middle Kingdom statuettes (Acc. no. 9325) had been turned around 180 degrees to face the back of its case in our new Ancient Worlds galleries, I wondered who had changed the object’s position this without telling me. The Egyptians themselves would have appreciated the concern to make visible for passers-by the text on its back pillar – a prayer for offerings for the deceased. Yet the next time I looked into the case, the statue was facing in another direction – and a day later had yet another orientation,” said Campbell, museum curator. ...

He has always been intrigued with the statue, which became part of the museum collection back in 1933.

The inscription on the back of the statue reads: “An offering which the king gives to Osiris, Lord of Life, that he may give a voice offering, consisting of bread, beer, oxen and fowl for the Ka-spirit of’. However, the man’s name, seems to be Nebsenu, but Campbell and other experts are not sure as it is very unclear and hard to read.

Some experts tried to offer logical explanation for statue’s spin, and said that it might occur due to subtle vibrations caused by visitors. But, this explanation was quickly abandonded due to the fact that the statue was standing still for the past 80 years and hasn’t moved until recently.

In order to solve the puzzling event, museum staff decided to place a camera and find out what is going on or who is moving the statue.

Their surprise couldn’t be bigger when they found out that the statue is rotating by itself, slowly, but, even more surprising, for exactly 180 degrees and not a degree more or less. Even more puzzling, the statue has not moved an inch at side, but it spins perfectly in its place. ...
SOURCE: https://web.archive.org/web/2013100...egyptian-statue-turns-around-by-itself-video/

I can't find any updates since the 2013 articles so I guess they've gone with the 'vibrations' theory - and probably stuck a bit of blu-tac underneath it.

Back