• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

MP's theory over cottage burnings

...so you get the petrol, Daffyd, and you - the new guy with the big boots, what was your name again? - you get the matches.... hang on, there's some English bastards hanging about outside...

..beth am siarad Cymraeg pan ddon nhw i mewn? Ni gyd yn gwybod bod hynny'n mynd lan drwyne'r diawled! ;)

And now I'm off to play with my kids, who are gabbling away in that poor over-subsidised dying language of ours, maybe listen to some music by Datblygu or Meic Stevens or MC Mabon, read poetry by Meirion McIntyre Huws or Waldo Williams, or a novel by Robin Llywelyn or Geraint V Jones, or listen to Twm Morus's excellent radio programme.
There might even be something good on S4C, though I may be pushing things a bit far there. :roll:

"MC Mabon"?

Don't tell me - a Welsh-speaking rapper? That is to be feared more than the loss of a fine, ancient language! Part of the charm and honour of a noble regional language is context and the poetry of the location.

Taking, for example, Welsh and turning it into a "Taff-in-da-Hood" parody of a blatantly American artform to try to join the modern "Yoof" and the country's ancient roots for exploitation is a bit of an insult, isn't it? We should promote the history, culture and art of the place for it's own beauty, rather than pander to a very modern genre.

If MC Mabon is just a singer and not an Ali G-twatclone from Bridgend then please put me straight! I might've overreacted.

Yo!

...or Gruff Meredith to give him his proper name. From one of the founders of Tystion comes untamed, cutting edge rap and hip hop.

I'm sorry - I may be guilty of pre-judging a singers talent but this aint good omens in my rather creaky, human-skin-bound book.

It's probably just me being a miserable old git!

I think you were doing ok there Coppertop but you'll get landed on like a ton of bricks for having a Scottish not Welsh poet for your sig. I daresay you'll be called a 'traitor' and accused of of being a 'judas' and selling out your own. Prepare the barricades!

What would happen if the English started burning down the houses of Welsh residents in England?, well half of our MP's would be homeless for a start, if you included the Scots then 95% of our MP's would be homeless !.(Funny I thought they had their own Parliament/Assemblies now?)

The Scottish assembly spent most of their time and (and taxpayers' money) building a huge White Elephant dedicated to their own importance whilst the Welsh bickered over where to sit. Can you blame potential representatives for opting for Westminster?

As I have no doubt mentioned elsewhere, this is hauntingly reminiscent of Quebec.

Stormkhan wrote:

"MC Mabon"?

Don't tell me - a Welsh-speaking rapper? That is to be feared more than the loss of a fine, ancient language! Part of the charm and honour of a noble regional language is context and the poetry of the location.

Ah, yes - those young scallywags! These days, they see new things on TV and, my goodness, they're off having a go at it themselves, would you believe! At least we knew our place - we stuck to the clog-dancing and cynghanedd.

No, we really shouldn’t take it into our heads to do modern stuff in Welsh because, after all, this is an ancient and dying language... ;)

Strangely enough, only according to Welsh Nationalist sites, who's political agenda is maintaining victim hood status for the welsh speaker... Noone pays for a prosperous and healthy culture, now do they? As I've said many times if it needs preserving its dead already.

CT, to me, it sounds like you DO get the joke... Wales is fine, as is Welsh culture and it'll stand or fail upon its OWN merits, not some sentimentalised rubbish pumped out by people who seem to enjoy the inverted snobbery of being a persecuted minority. (Waves to the Plaid lads and everyone who has said MG controlled prices, were Patriots or performed a service... I'm still waiting to be told what they stood for and why they were marvellous)

BTW, mystery of mysteries... Why do PC do car stickers in English? I would have thought they wouldn't want incoming white settler scum polluting their national vote... And where do they stand on mixed marriage and miscegenation with the English?

Greets

hugo wrote:

Why do PC do car stickers in English? I would have thought they wouldn't want incoming white settler scum polluting their national vote... And where do they stand on mixed marriage and miscegenation with the English?

Plaid are the Party of wales. the whole of wales and that includes the parts which are mainly english speaking. it is therefore understandable that they do stuff in english. as for "white settler scum" - hopefully one of them is going back to england (bye bye nick griffin - not missed here!!)

mal

Hugo Cornwall said:
And misegenenation? After all that erodes a culture too!
Or in some cases defines it - look at the English, and especially the English language.

To add spice to my conversation and quote myself... If It Needs Preserving It's Dead... That's Why We Embalm Things...

Hugo Cornwall said:
And misegenenation? After all that erodes a culture too!

Yes, as the Australians found years ago. Of course, what the English should do is make the Welsh "protected" and establish a Chief Protector. You can dole out food and whatnot, keep them un-educated or under-educated, and make all the half-castes servants. Works a wonder!

With all due respect, the English probably invented the idea, along with concentration camps, although the Spanish in Cuba can make a similar claim, and bacteriological warfare :)

As an addendum... I thought the 'Half caste as servant' idea was more Boer and Voortrekker than Aussie....

But then, The Bridge at Selma was my lifetime, as was Tom Lehrer :)

#I get no kick from champagne...#

and still the trouble rumbles on.... next up 'The Latino'

there was an interesting article in the Daily Telegraph today about a house in Dartmouth being sold only to people who have lived and worked in Devon for the past three years. It is priced, by the local council, at a price that local people can afford. If it was allowed to go on the oen market it could have reached a price of at least 100,000 pounds higher.
Seems that its not only the Welsh who are protectionist about outsiders coming and taking all the best things.

Meanderer said:
Seems that its not only the Welsh who are protectionist about outsiders coming and taking all the best things.
Unfortunately, that's an uncomfortable solution, but about the only practical one to that particular problem. In many cases people can't afford to live close to their own families or workplaces, but as they're outside large cities there's virtually no public or privately rented accommodation to cater for them :(.

By the way, does anyone else find it odd that the only approximate English equivalent of Plaid Cymru (nd indeed the SNP), the BNP*, is almost universally despised amoing it's target audience? Odder, that it's leader, Nick Griffin (or "The Accused" as he's satisfyingly known at the moment :)) lives in Wales?

* for British, read English, pretty much

Rural area housing is being snapped up by "townies" because it's cheap. The local housing stock, as a consequence, becomes limited and costs raise and drive out locals who used to afford it.
Townies want to buy cheap houses (who doesn't?) so move out of expensive town properties. These are bought by townies who believed all the Thatcherite bullshit that Britain must be a home-owning society.
Building Societies and banks make a bloody mint on mortgages and reposessions from people who think they must, absolutely must own their house. These, in turn, think their security is assured by selling-buying-selling their homes, increasing the housing values. They don't look at their house as a home anymore. They see it as a commodity. They will move at the drop of a hat if they believe they'll make a profit out of it.

Thus the false belief that owning a house puts pressure on cheaper housing stock and forcing the lower-paid or disadvantaged to extremes. If City councils put more into public housing stock, start reining back on buy-to-lets and private developments and re-using abandoned or wasted housing stock then the pressure on cheaper locations will slacken and allow locals to remain.

Take away local families from rural or culturally-rich areas and the memories, values and strengths of the area fades. We will become an homogenous, faceless mass that will rely utterly on the governments ideals and policies. There is nothing wrong with being defensive of old customs and practices but they also need to adapt their 'existence' to prevailing societal conditions.

The reed that is supple and bends in the wind will survive to stand tall in the calm, grasshopper...

However, Is there a great, noble and pariotic history of the Burghers of dartmouth burning out people?

What was the opinion of that organ of moderation Die Sturm (The Daily Telegraph, for US readers, is a balanced, and liberal organ, similar to Fox News in print media, but with less conscience, and a slightly more right wing slant) on the nanny state of Dartmouth BC?

FYI, I think its a tremendously GOOD idea to have local capping and control. However, I object to mob rule, which seems, in the PC/ MG case to be regarded as 'just fine', as been evinced to me several times over.

Technically an MP is elected to represent their constituents in parliament and - again, in theory - reflect their concerns and interests. Thus parliament is, in fact, mob rule!
Anyhow, what's wrong with mob rule? Is it right that a minority (such as New Labour snouts) dictates policy to a majority? If 99% of the country said "Bring back hanging!", and the government said "Sod off!" it wouldn't be democracy.

Mob rule is a perjurative term used - and very badly - to describe public outcry or representation of extreme views (which may be poorly thought out) or unpopular demands (unpopular with an influential minority).

Democracy - it's a mob rule and a real bugger! What is required is open and frank debate where very problematical issues are discussed without fear of being branded as extremist and gagged. Thus the cases, both for and against, are presented, analysed, adapted and 'put to bed'. Thus the so-called mob is more informed. However, such open debate is prevented by 'interested parties
' in order to force their own agendas onto the public.

I was using the Neville(tm) definition of mob rule... pitch soaked faggots, flaming torches, bitch forks and burning windmill type mobs... you know the sort... we get them here from time to time... :lol:

Hugo Cornwall said:
What was the opinion of that organ of moderation Die Sturm (The Daily Telegraph, for US readers, is a balanced, and liberal organ, similar to Fox News in print media, but with less conscience, and a slightly more right wing slant) on the nanny state of Dartmouth BC?

There wasn't an opinion piece - and, just because they don't run Calvin and Hobbs Hugo there's no need to raise your blood pressure quite so much.

stu neville said:
By the way, does anyone else find it odd that the only approximate English equivalent of Plaid Cymru (and indeed the SNP), the BNP*, is almost universally despised amoing it's target audience? Odder, that it's leader, Nick Griffin (or "The Accused" as he's satisfyingly known at the moment :)) lives in Wales?

* for British, read English, pretty much
Urm. The SNP is a Political Nationalist party not an Ethnic Nationalist party like the BNP. In fact it's an SNP policy to increase the number of immigrates coming into Scotland (like me)...

I couldn't possibly make a balanced comment on PC but from up here they seem to be trying to straddle the reasoned political nationalism of the SNP and the rabid ethnic nationalism of the BNP (or ENP as I call 'em). Hence their murder of their native tongue.
:wtf: My Welsh cousins used to be Welsh speakers but not anymore since their native Welsh has too many words from other languages (like English) for PC...

Meanderer said:
There wasn't an opinion piece - and, just because they don't run Calvin and Hobbs Hugo there's no need to raise your blood pressure quite so much.

Errr... this is the Daily Torygraph we're talking about... They have that paragon of the Liberal Left, Rupert the Bear, IIRC.

Niles Calder said:

Errr... this is the Daily Torygraph we're talking about... They have that paragon of the Liberal Left, Rupert the Bear, IIRC.
And to think, he used to appear in the 'Daily Express' when I was but a lad.

;)

Back