• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mrs Jackson's house

Amoradala

Ephemeral Spectre
When I was around nine or ten, my dad took me to visit Mrs Jackson's house.
Mrs Jackson was the elderly mother of one of my dads friends, and I knew her because she would babysit for my brother and I occasionally.

I remember sitting in her kitchen, drinking orange squash and hearing the heavy rain outside and becoming aware of a dog barking.
I asked if Mrs Jackson had a dog and on mentioning this she also became aware of the barking, looked slightly irritated and went over to the window and banged on it.
"Leave him alone" she shouted, and when the barking stopped Mrs jackson continued talking where she left off.

After a short time the barking started again and again Mrs Jackson hammered on the window with "get off him, leave him alone " and this happened two or three more times before my dad, becoming as curious and baffled as I was asked what was going on.

"Whenever it rains" she explained "next doors dog comes under the fence to bark at 'Harry' "
"Who's Harry" my dad asked.
" I don't know what it is" she said pointing through the window into the garden " but that's Harry and that dog is at him again "

We looked through the rain streaked window and could vaguely see an dog (collie type) arched over and barking furiously at what looked like a large black slipper on the lawn.

My dad asked to go into the garden to investigate and Mrs Jackson unlocked and opened the door, to my great annoyance my dad told me to stay in the house, I was bursting to go and see for myself but I had to wait inside.

After some time my dad came back in with a broad smile on his face. Evidently and unbeknowst to Mrs Jackson, 'Harry' was a large catfish. Apparantly Mrs Jackson's son used to go fishing as a boy and sometimes put fish he caught into the pond. I have since learned catfish, having the ability to leave the water for a short time venture out in search of a mate.

Poor Harry must have been lonely or perhaps he enjoyed the dogs company ?
True story.

Catfish walking?
Fascinating! :)

Yeah, walking catfish are pretty freaky. The dog must have thought so, too!

He, Thanks Ulalume. I just looked up 'walking catfish' and perhaps I should mention that this was in Birmingham in England, UK in the early eighties.
We aren't supposed to have 'walking catfish' as a species in our rivers even now !

He, Thanks Ulalume. I just looked up 'walking catfish' and perhaps I should mention that this was in Birmingham in England, UK in the early eighties.
We aren't supposed to have 'walking catfish' as a species in our rivers even now !

Then it's even extra freaky! :eek:

Lots of waterways in Birmingham!

We have threads on Catfish, eg:
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index...fish-pops-clogs-in-thames.53389/#post-1337584

According to Wiki:
"Extant catfish species live inland or in coastal waters of every continent except Antarctica."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfish

"The walking catfish (Clarias batrachus) is a species of freshwater airbreathing catfish native to Southeast Asia, but also introduced outside its native range where it is considered an invasive species."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_catfish

nice links Ryn :)

Excellent suggestion for a horror novel/movie. Thanks!
On the Wiki page for Wels is an account of someone being attacked! Lucky to survive apparently.
Exceptionally large specimens are rumored to attack humans in rare instances, a claim investigated by extreme angler Jeremy Wade in an episode of the Animal Planet television series River Monsters following his capture of three fish, two of about 66 kg (145 lb) and one of about 73 kg (160 lb), of which two attempted to attack him following their release. A report in the Austriannewspaper Der Standard on 5 August 2009, mentions a wels catfish dragging a fisherman near Győr, Hungary, under water by his right leg after the man attempted to grab the fish in a hold. The man barely escaped with his life from the fish, which must have weighed over 100 kg (220 lb), according to the fisherman.[5]/QUOTE]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wels_catfish

so... are they holding their breath or......?

OP - that's nothing. Here's a picture of my pet goldfish Chad riding his bicycle.

sideview.jpg

Thank you Fluttermoth! :)

Back