• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Munich

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Probably another thread for this film elsewhere but I couldnt find it.

The new Spielberg film was superb IMO. A bit schmaltzy in places and probably inaccurate but was really interesting and involving with some great performances.

See it!

I enjoyed it too, though I also wondered about how historically accurate it was. Anyone have any answers?

I thought it was overlong though. The last forty minutes or so could have been easily chopped out without any loss to the movie.

I read a review of the film which basically said it was true ish to the book, but that the book was twaddle, basically saying the guy who wrote the book wasn't who or what he claimed. But, and there's always a but, who knows truth from lies when intelligence services get involved. the review was in the Sunday times mag and was a long article and a good read Worth looking for on line here's a handy link

http://www.thebigproject.co.uk/news/

I heard a guy on the radio saying Munich was bascially The Wild Geese or The A-Team with pretentions.

Wikipedia already has an entry up, which discusses some of the controversies over the authenticity of the film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_%28film%29

Journalist Yossi Melman of the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz has said that the book is "strewn with mistakes" adding that, after a lawsuit identified Aviv as Avner, "investigative reports about him revealed that he represented himself as a Mossad agent even though he had never worked in the Mossad and certainly had not participated in operations to kill those involved in the athletes' murder. Aviv, as he emerged from these investigative reports, had a special fondness for conspiracy theories, and it turned out that he was willing to hire out his services to anyone who was willing to pay, even to both sides of the same dispute."

Multiple reviewers have criticized Spielberg for what they call his equating the Israeli assassins with the Palestinian terrorists. Leon Wieseltier wrote in The New Republic, "...Worse, ‘Munich’ prefers a discussion of counter-terrorism to a discussion of terrorism; or it thinks that they are the same discussion.” [4],[5],[6], [7].

Melman and other critics of the book and the film have said that the story's premise — that Israeli agents had second thoughts about their work — is not supported by interviews or public statements.

A retired head of Israel's Shin Bet intelligence service, Avi Dichter, likened Munich to a children's adventure story. "There is no comparison between what you see in the movie and how it works in reality," he said in an interview with Reuters [8].

In a Time Magazine cover story about the film on December 4, 2005, Spielberg said that the source of the film had had second thoughts about his actions. "There is something about killing people at close range that is excruciating," Spielberg said. "It's bound to try a man's soul." Of the real Avner, Spielberg says, "I don’t think he will ever find peace."

Melman and other critics of the book and the film have said that the story's premise — that Israeli agents had second thoughts about their work — is not supported by interviews or public statements.

There was a documentary on this episode very recently which included interviews with journalists as well as a former head and several ex-members of the Mossad. From memory at least two (and possibly three) of the alleged ex-agents interviewed said that there was a very considerable amount of nervousness about the morality and legality of the campaign and that only volunteers were used and that many who chose not to volunteer did so because they believed it to be wrong. The phrase "second-thoughts" is misleading because it suggests retreat from a previously held conviction. It appeared from the documentary that this conviction was never that solid, was not held unilaterally and that even those who chose the path of revenge were perfectly aware that the moral ground upon which they chose to make their decision was not entirely stable.

One Day in September is the name of the great documentary on this. Everyone should check it out before seeing Munich. It's really good.

StoryofE said:
One Day in September is the name of the great documentary on this. Everyone should check it out before seeing Munich. It's really good.

Excellent documentary - but the one I was referring to was Operation Bayonet shown on BBC2 (UK) a couple of weeks ago, which dealt specifically with the response to the Munich operation rather than the massacre itself.

There's a pretty good overview of the subject here, and an interesting article on the facts versus the film here.

Back