• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Murder Alley': True-Crime Forteana

ogopogo3

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Was reading Michael Newton's excellent serial killer encyclopedia HUNTING HUMANS and I came across this odd entry:

MURDER ALLEY
Kenosha's "murder alley" is an unpaved strip of land running south from 64th Street, between 20th and 21st Avenues. Two blocks away, the downtown business district bustles with activity, but residents along the alley live with daily apprehension that is more akin to an excursion through the Twilight Zone.

"There's something strange out by that alley," Coroner Thomas Duff told the press in February 1981. "Sort of a Bermuda Triangle of murder," I'd say. "What seems to be going on is unexplainable." Lieutenant Rudy Blotz, of the Kenosha Police Department, was equallu direct, branding the alley "a jinx or something."

The "happenings" include a string of seven grisly homocids between 1967 and 1981, thier savagery baffling locals who remark on Kenosha's relative freedom from crime. Three of the cases have been solved, unrelated to one another, but the grim geographical coincindence has authorities shaking their heads in confusion.

The first "alley" murder occurred on February 9, 1967, when 17-year-old Mary Kaldenburg left her home, on 64th Street, to purchase a bottle of pop from the corner drugstore. Four days later, officers discovered her corpse in the back of a 1948 hearse, parked at the city auto pound a mile from her house. Fully clothed except for her shoes, which were removed and placed near the body, Mary had been stabbed twelve times in the neck, chest, forehead and back. The case remains unsolved.

Eleven years later, on January 30, 1978, Jerlad Burnett, 52, was found sprawled in a snowbank near his home, at the mouth of the alley. He had been beaten to death with a tire iron, killed in what police described as as robbery. Suspect Steven Gross has been convicted and imprisoned for the crime.

On May 27, 1979, 80-year-old Herman Bosman was found beaten to death in his burning home, on the alley's east side. Authorities speculate that the fire was set to destroy evidence of the murder, which remains unsolved at this writing.

A month later, on June 23, Alice Alzner, age 18, was unearthed in a rose garden adjoining the alley. A jury convicted the property-owner, 23-year-old Thomas Holt., of raping the victim and strangling her with her own brassiere. Holt was sentenced to life.

On January 26, 1981, news of a triple murder rocked the neighborhood's fragile peace. Victims Alice Eaton, John Amann, and Raphael Pretrucci were found dead in Eaton's home, adjoining the alley. Her grandson, Robert McRoberts, was arrested and charged with the slayings.

Local officers and residents along the alley keep their personal opinions to themselves, agreeing only that "there's something going on out there."

No wonder I was a little confused at this. The 'Hunting Humans' I have is written by Elliott Leyton. Which, by the way, has the last page missing. And when I ordered a replacement from the bookshop, the replacement had the last page missing. Colour me frustrated.

What do you think of Hunting Humans?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786712287/103-2305126-5659814?v=glance

The Sexual Homicide Exchange recommends it, but it's described as controversial:

http://www.she-dc.com/pages/educ/Books/psychopathy/psychopathymain.htm

Hunting Humans - Elliot Leyton
Elliot Leyton’s theory of why serial killers kill has been a source of controversy for some and a target of ridicule from others. I, personally, am in Leyton’s camp. Leyton is an anthropologist (also part of my background) and finds the reason for serial murder to be a result of the individual’s failure to achieve in society and the mission of the serial killer is to "wreak vengeance on the established order". Leyton views their acts as a kind of "deformed creativity" rather than the result of a "drooling derangement". I have to agree. Whether you side with Leyton and myself or you find more for psychological or religious explanations of serial murders, this book will challenge you to see the individual in the context of his environment. Also, even if you disagree with the theory, you will see how the killer views himself in the context of society and you will gain a great deal of insight on the killer’s way of seeing life

It seems that none of the murders were actually commited IN the alley, which seems odd. At the mouth of the alley, or in a house adjoining the alley . . . so why does the alley have the reputation? Because it's the focal point?

And what does the story of the 17 year old have to do with it? It never says she was found anywhere near the alley. Do they know somehow that she was killed in the alley?

-Fitz

My road has had three murders, the earliest in Victorian times. Now the only regular risk of death is from speeding motorists!

The alley area must stick out if the town is normally so quiet. What are the towns crime figures? If you plotted all murders and/or assaults within it's main precincts, it'd be interesting to see if this is a hot spot or whether it's only perceived to be death-ridden.

Kenosha info

Crime in Kenosha (2002):

* 1 murder (1.1 per 100,000)
* 28 rapes (30.5 per 100,000)
* 80 robberies (87.3 per 100,000)
* 98 assaults (106.9 per 100,000)
* 502 burglaries (547.7 per 100,000)
* 1,899 larceny counts (2071.8 per 100,000)
* 177 auto thefts (193.1 per 100,000)
* City-data.com crime index = 200.4 (higher means more crime, US average = 330.6)

Crime in Kenosha (2001):

* 4 murders (4.4 per 100,000)
* 41 rapes (45.1 per 100,000)
* 62 robberies (68.1 per 100,000)
* 440 assaults (483.5 per 100,000)
* 422 burglaries (463.8 per 100,000)
* 1,997 larceny counts (2194.6 per 100,000)
* 216 auto thefts (237.4 per 100,000)
* City-data.com crime index = 280.8 (higher means more crime)

Edited to add population figures:

Population (year 2000): 90,352, Est. population in July 2002: 92,513 (+2.3% change)

Sounds like a staggering number of murders for a city that size but what do I know.

Sounds like the incident list of my local pub.

We're hard in London, we are!

:eek!!!!: Oh my...
Kenosha is 12 miles east of me and I've never heard of this. I'll be taking a look around the area this weekend though and I'll see if I can find anything in the library.

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
What do you think of Hunting Humans?

Same old, same old. Not as bad as some, not as good as others. No different to anyone else pedalling a one-size-fits-all theory, in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

Then again, maybe the missing back page held the key....

Back