• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Best UFO Ever!

littleblackduck

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
On February 13 I was walking across the bridge which connects downtown Hull, Quebec (now Gatineau) and Ottawa, Ontario when I paused to observe some lights in the sunset. Two of them were pretty much stationary, and I took them to be airplanes flying almost due West into the sunset.

A third appeared, which I would have dismissed as another airplane were it not for its strange subsequent behaviour.

Around 5:30, it started to brighten. Then it became successively, planet-like, then comet like. A plane contrail, I thought. But the "contrail" continued to lengthen and thicken, until it was a classic UFO cigar shape.

Suddenly, in a matter of a second or two, the cigar shape split into two, and the left-hand (South) piece quickly shrank to a planet/star in brightness and size, which pulled off very slowly to the left (South) while the right-hand (NOrth) piece shrank down to a dot brighter than Jupiter or Venus, and continued to brighten for some time, apparently remaining motionless.

I took out my "toy" binoculars, part of an orienteering gadget and watched from the single star to the double star stage.

I think I must have seen a remarkably good meteor/comet display.

On the same day, three hours later or so, there were numerous UFO/meteor sightings in the state of Ohio, reported on this Fortean Times website the next day (Feb. 14). Today, there were UFO reports from New Brunswick (the province) reported by FT, date-lined Feb. 18 on the original newspaper site.

It was a memorable sighting. The only other "meteors" I have seen have been tiddley little fizzlers. This thing was bright against a magnificent sunset! Venus in her glory wasn't brighter!

Followup to My Best UFO Ever!

Yesterday, February 24, 2002, there was an article in the OTTAWA CITIZEN on UFO sightings in Inkerman, New Brunswick, Canada. Disappointingly, there was little mention of dates, but this article seems to eliminate the possibility that the New Brunswick sightings are connected with my object(s) of February 13 as mentioned previously in this thread. (Are two postings a thread? I suppose so: two points make a line.)

The Inkerman UFO's belong to the fashionable diamond and triangle-shaped class of objects. Saucers are passé, it seems, which is a shame since I love the tail-finned streamline look of the Fifties.

Here is the URL for the OTTAWA CITIZEN article, from the "Breaking News" section of this website:

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/story.asp?id={BB38DCF4-CB98-4484-B832-16F9013E6991}

Back