• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Book

LaurenChurchill

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
For a good few years now my best mate and I have wanted to write, or rather, compile a collection of crypozoological... things. For want of a skill in speaking.

We'd like to write a book covering dragons, elves, gremlins, chupacabras and other cryptids that seem mainly to be fantasy, although we may also like to include potential "realies" too.

I was wondering what my esteemed friends and boardmates thought of this venture, and if they knew of any books/site/anything else that would be good as research material.

LaurenChurchill said:
....dragons, elves, gremlins, chupacabras and other cryptids that seem mainly to be fantasy....

I'm personally by no means convinced that "chupacabras" can be so easily dismissed as "mainly....fantasy." There have simply been too many reports, too many witnesses and too much blood.

And the little people who hold congress under my bed might very well be classified as "elves." <ggggg>

There's a small but real market for this sort of thing. If you want to sell it to a publisher, as opposed to self-publishing through Lulu or whatever (and there's no shame in that; self-publishing, as opposed to vanity publishing, is perfectly respectable, though it won't turn a profit if you don't know how to deal with the business end), these are the things the agent who sells you to the publisher will want to know:

What is your expertise in this field?
What would make this work different from other, similar works on the market? (Do you, for instance, have access to primary sources that have not been used before? Do you have personal experience to draw on, or a profession that gives your opinions extra weight? Does your website act as a clearinghouse for reports, do you run a cryptozoological museum, and so on and so forth.)
Do you have previous publication credits, and what sort? Blogs and self-publications that did not achieve a noticeable amount of market notice won't count here; nonfiction credits in another field will at least demonstrate your ability to complete a project; your Ph.D. thesis is better noted as expertise.

Do not attempt to sell this work, even if it's already written, until you have good answers to those questions!

The thing to ask yourself here, now, is: Do I want to write this thing, or do I think it would be cool to have written it?

If the first - sit down and start writing now, today. Yes, yes, I know you don't have your material together, but writing a list of goals you want to accomplish or topics you want to cover counts, as does trying out different formats (Narrative? Encyclopedia? Chapters of hard information with sidebars or interludes of anecdotal material? So many possibilities!), as does outlining what you already feel competent to write and noting where research should be focused first. Start writing every day and the momentum will carry you forward. Many viable books have never seen the light of day because the author never put his butt in the chair and started writing.

If the second - put it on the shelf next to the other things you'd like to have done, like gourmet cooking school, climbing Everest, sailing round the world, and living in a castle with a romance cover model. This sort of thing is too much work to do if you don't enjoy the process, especially given the uncertainty and potential tininess of the financial reward.

You don't need our approval for this. You need to want it. Everything else can be made to fall into place if you want it effectively enough.

PeniG said:
The thing to ask yourself here, now, is: Do I want to write this thing, or do I think it would be cool to have written it?

Peni, that's advice I've heard again and again from working professionals in the writing field and it remains the best advice I've ever received.

And it's true of other creative fields also. My late Dad was a working commercial artist who occasionally taught courses on art. But as he phrased it, "people demand 'teach me how to paint' but they DON'T want to be told that they have to learn to draw first, and that before you learn to draw you have to have gained at least some basic knowledge of perspective."

Oh, it's good advice for every activity, Mr. Radio! And practitioners of every skill have to deal with people who say they want to do it, but want to do it by magic, or think there's something they need to get started that they don't have - programming, knitting, cooking, carpentry, horseback riding, anything.

Since I'm in a creative profession, I tend to meet people who are intimidated from doing their projects because they think there's something special about creativity, some secret they need to be initiated into before they can do it, and it just isn't true. You need a few basic skills and then you can do - and a lot of the skills can be learned (can only be learned) by doing. You can find a mentor if you really need one, but looking to see what other people have done is just as good for most people. There's substitutes for school, mentoring, talent, time, and money; but there's no substitute for doing the work (which, thank goodness, is the same as play if you want to do it enough).

For nonfiction, you need three sets of skills - researching, writing, and selling. Although some people who are sufficiently talented at selling have sold books on nothing but a proposal, most people have to do the research and writing first. Fortunately, research skills will also help you learn to sell. And LaurenChurchill already has the basic writing skill set, or we wouldn't have been able to read the post. So there's no reason this project shouldn't be Go.

I actually did this exact thing once and still have the 'tome' in my posession. I included all creatures...cryptozoological and from mythology, complete with pictures that I drew myself. :oops: I thought it would be cool if it would get published, so i'd be interested in seeing where you go with this Lauren

LaurenChurchill said:
For a good few years now my best mate and I have wanted to write, or rather, compile a collection of crypozoological... things. For want of a skill in speaking.

We'd like to write a book covering dragons, elves, gremlins, chupacabras and other cryptids that seem mainly to be fantasy, although we may also like to include potential "realies" too.

I was wondering what my esteemed friends and boardmates thought of this venture, and if they knew of any books/site/anything else that would be good as research material.

I'd recomend that you focus on a spesific geographical area (eg where you live) and discribe all the cryptids that are found there, that way you can really do the cryptids/zooforms/oopas justice :)

When you start digging with your friend you'll probably find a load of really obsqure legends and creatures in the area and it'll be a lot more fun than just writing a general book. You'll sell more copys too then as well as you'll have something that distinguishes your book from all the others out there too.

Also as the CFZ are now the biggest publisher of cryptozoology books in the world why not try sending it to us when you are finished, if it is the sort of thing we're after we may publish it then. (pm me for details)

I love that idea.
Would you have any idea where to start research of my local area legends?
The only thing I can think of is the net but you have to be so specific with your search that I don't know if I could do it right.

Check local and regional newspaper files. Possible key words include "Creatures," "Folklore," "Ghosts," "Haunted/Hauntings" "Legends," "Monsters," "Mysterious," "Phantom," "Strange," "Unexplained," "Unusual," "Vampires," "Weird," "Werewolves."

Have there already been books and magazine articles published on local folklore?

Is there a local or regional folklore society? If not, there's sure to be a local history society, with some of the members interested in the "night side of nature."

Your local public library almost certainly keeps a file of newspaper clippings and magazine article tearsheets on strange local phenomena.

Yep, the old Fortean ways are best. The net is too new and too random for this sort of thing, and in any case, some of your best sources won't be on it.

Keep your ears open and start hanging out where the good old boys do. Outdoorsy people see the most cryptids - it's a fact of life. And once people know you're interested and will believe them, they'll target you with their tall tales and confide their true experiences, and it'll be your job to learn to tell them apart.

Back