• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Experience As A Psychic Medium

Robsocks

Junior Acolyte
Hello all. My first post here, but long time lurker and subscriber.

I would like to share some of my experiences dabbling in the world of psychic mediumship. I've always been an open minded skeptic, fascinated by all things fortean but at the same time looking for logical explanations. Earlier this year I decided to accompany a like minded friend on a series of psychic development workshops, with some surprising results. In one experiment I sat opposite a lady I had never met before, and who also claimed to be a novice, and appeared to connect to her deceased father. I followed the instructions given by our teacher (visualisations of energy flow and asking spirit guides to draw near), sat quietly and saw in my minds eye a series of images, which I relayed to my partner. She confirmed that I was describing her father, and various objects related to his life (working on fishing boats, farming potatoes, old fashioned black and white TV).

A second experiment in another workshop shook me up slightly, and I still find this one difficult to explain. I sat opposite a different lady and repeated the same process, however this time the images I saw and relayed reduced her to tears. She told me to search online for a certain young man who had very recently died in a car crash (he was not local, neither was this lady, she had travelled over an hour to attend this workshop). When I read the news article I realised I had seen and described this young man, the car he had died in, and various aspects of his life (koi fish pond, lads holidays, football).

Now when I watch mediums at work on TV or on platforms in pubs, etc I often think maybe the audience members are stooges, or sometimes what they say is so vague it could fit anything if you were desperate for confirmation that your loved ones still exist on the other side. However I experienced these events myself, and certainly find the second experience harder to explain due to the newspaper reports verifying what I 'saw'. The first lady could perhaps have lied to me, perhaps to spare my feelings when I was actually way of the mark.

I have had a few other minor experiences since these workshops, one involved a lady appearing to me in meditation, who turned out to be my husbands great aunt (I had no idea who she was).

Has anyone else tried their hand at mediumship or psychic readings? And I'm interested in your opinions on this subject? I am certainly less skeptical!

interesting viewpoint, possibly im coming from a similar place ... re the second experiment, do you have any notes of the images you came up with ? ie contemporaneous written notes

and what was relationship between subject and deceased

I'd personally need to have heard your reading/images in detail to judge whether it was impressive or not. Your summary in phrases like like lads holidays and football for the younger man and black and white tv for the old man sound, when described in that limited way, like generic age appropriate stuff.

This might be of interest to you..the youtuber is a regular poster on stuff like coincidences and hallucinogenic drugs, but in recent months "came out" as a newly self discovered medium. His detailed explanation about how he came to this realisation is worth watching all the way through.

interesting viewpoint, possibly im coming from a similar place ... re the second experiment, do you have any notes of the images you came up with ? ie contemporaneous written notes

and what was relationship between subject and deceased
Hi Henry. I scribbled some notes after the event: I saw a young man, early 20s, tall and dark haired, the name Charlie came into my head, I saw a white BMW, a raised fish pond in a garden with koi, had the phrase 'holidays in the sun with friends', and saw young men playing football.

Apparently this lady had a son called Charlie, and the young man I described was his best friend since childhood who had passed less than a week ago whilst driving his white BMW. He built the fish pond in his garden, recently went on holiday with her son and was on the local football team.

I'd personally need to have heard your reading/images in detail to judge whether it was impressive or not. Your summary in phrases like like lads holidays and football for the younger man and black and white tv for the old man sound, when described in that limited way, like generic age appropriate stuff.

This might be of interest to you..the youtuber is a regular poster on stuff like coincidences and hallucinogenic drugs, but in recent months "came out" as a newly self discovered medium. His detailed explanation about how he came to this realisation is worth watching all the way through.

Hi Gattino. Thank you for your reply, and the link. I will certainly watch it with interest.

I agree that a lot of readings can be generic, and it is difficult not to be influenced by the person you are reading for. I found it easier to just say exactly what I saw, without putting my own interpretations to it.

How interesting! I've always liked to believe being psychic was a latent human ability, and that if I could learn to tune my mind into... something... that I would see and know more than I do now. My head is full of such nonsense chatter that I must miss so much.

how did your like-minded friend get on
She has a lot more experience than me, and her family are mediums, so she had more practice. She hadn't done any readings for a long time but found it easy to get back into it. She's wary of irrevetantly cold reading, but gave her partner some interesting information. For example she saw sheep, and her partner used to work on a farm managing sheep. She certainly didn't dress like a sheep farmer, lol ☺️

How interesting! I've always liked to believe being psychic was a latent human ability, and that if I could learn to tune my mind into... something... that I would see and know more than I do now. My head is full of such nonsense chatter that I must miss so much.
I was taught that we all have the ability, some of us can do it intuitively but others need to be shown how. I wasn't sure I believed it until I tried.

You could find some local mediums or spiritual groups that offer workshops, meditation classes or talks? I found these workshops through a Facebook group. It's also worth a visit to the Arthur Findlay spiritual college in Stansted. I went to their open weekend and tried various different workshops. They run classes but are very expensive! The open days are a cheap taster ☺️

I've posted a few times in the past about me trying to "see" the name of friend's dead mother, getting it right on the 4th guess and how the first 3 guesses he identified as being the names of closely connected people. As I didn't feel I was doing anything whatsoever it seems instructive in some non specific way. If i was genuinely picking up information in an anomalous way there was nothing in the exercise to suggest the source was the dead rather than the "ether" so to speak. And if I wasn't doing anything "psychic" at all then it might point to the suspicion that in these cases the reaction/belief of the sitter is key to the impression of anything going on, far more than any gift on the part of the reader. But who knows.

I do find it curious that if we can connect to the deceased and they are imparting these images and words into the minds of mediums, then why do they not say anything profound or offer any insights? It seems to just be 'proof' of who the person was, such as a physical description, how they passed, bits and pieces from their life.

On the other hand perhaps that kind of information is actually picked up psychically from the mind of the sitter, rather than from a spirit?

Or maybe it is just cold reading and lucky guesses. However I am still more in the believer camp following my experiences.

Has anyone else ever tried their hand at readings?

thats a huge leap from where i thought we were at on this thread
I understood Robsocks to be restating the very common objection to the notion of mediums being in touch with the dead, namely, why would the dead communicate only the most superficial items of information rather than 'anything profound'? Am I right, Robsocks?

Many people have voiced this very obvious objection to the whole idea of mediumship, yet if there is something paranormal going on it could perhaps instead be attributed to telepathy.

I understood Robsocks to be restating the very common objection to the notion of mediums being in touch with the dead, namely, why would the dead communicate only the most superficial items of information rather than 'anything profound'? Am I right, Robsocks?

Many people have voiced this very obvious objection to the whole idea of mediumship, yet if there is something paranormal going on it could perhaps instead be attributed to telepathy.
That's correct Kate, thank you

I did a psychic development course over several months back in the late 80's.

We covered such things as healing, tarot, past lives ... mmm ... can't think of what else right now.

Anyway, I was into it and believed I had psychic ability but I'm not so sure now. Reading this thread has made me think about why this should be the case.

I've said elsewhere on this forum that, as for psychic readings, maybe some people are picking up on micro-signals but are unaware they are doing so. The concatenation of these signals lead to the brain coming to a "logical" critical mass that form a thought/image/sound that the reader then interprets as a psychic message

As a counter argument to some of this...its worth noting the distinction between the common current concept of a medium (a "mental medium")...who offers up mental impressions and flashes of names and characteristics which are indeed ridiculously trivial, and the kind of medium who fills the victorian and edwardian research literature (a "trance medium") through whom, if reported accurately, the deceased appeared to converse in full on fluid one to one conversation, complete with personal traits and idioms. In much of this they describe the afterlife experience (albeit vaguely, but interestingly in very similar terms to modern Near Death Experiences)

Why the latter kind, like seances themselves, areso rare these days may be worth speculating on. Maybe its just a lot easier to fake (or kid yourself about being) the former. Or maybe the old time impressive ones are lost in the overwhelming flood of "did your dad have trouble breathing before he died?" types.

Why the latter kind, like seances themselves, areso rare these days may be worth speculating on. Maybe its just a lot easier to fake (or kid yourself about being) the former. Or maybe the old time impressive ones are lost in the overwhelming flood of "did your dad have trouble breathing before he died?" types.

and in particular, the ectoplasm manifestations.... "physical mediumship".

Not sure it is what you're after but I've had a couple of experiences thatcould be thought of as inadvertent mediumship.

First one I've posted about on FTMB, when a very young child my great grandfather passed away and at the post funeral get together he spoke to me and asked me to relay a message. It didn't go down well which is why I remember it so vividly.

Second time it was a ouija board. Now everyone knows they are just ideomotor effect and BS right? Well how about this - I'll try and keep it short.
Late teens this time. At a party board comes out and a few of us have a go. Seems to work and a load of messages get spelled out, all a bit vague. Gradually people drop out and it's down to me and this other guy and we are both cracking up because we "know" it's the other one moving the planchette. Until he takes his hand off and to my amazement I continue to move the pointer round on my own!
Now I know it must be me but I'm making no intentional effort to do it, and I'm speaking to others while it's happening so it doesn't have my full attention while I'm doing it so typical ideomotor effect of course - now to the wierd bit. A message is spelled out but this isn't vague. This has a sender, recipient, a proper message (a warning about someone - by name) and a curious misspelling of a simple name. The message just keeps repeating. Now the recipient is in the room and he is spooked by it badly but is willing to share. His Grandfather had passed away not long before, and a week before he died had sent him a letter. That letter closed with the warning and the name and was misspelt the same way (that's the bit that really got him freaked) He said it was the last sentence of the letter pretty much word for word. So how did that get into my subconscious? Really how?

We all scoff at mediums, ouija, psi etc because of the high level of fraud and well intentioned fuzzy woo woos but I'm not going to throw out baby with the bath water. I've seen just enough to to convince me there is something that sometimes pops up, messes for a minute then disappears. Perhaps its all the same thing and we just label our interpretations with different names.

Maybe it was your friend's subconscious (as opposed to the dead) which was in control of your hand movements (or of the planchette beneath your hand...maybe you had least to do with it). That's no less "impossible" or unacceptable to the dominant worldview, but at least it offers some reason why those exact words and spelling were repeated.

My first post here, but long time lurker and subscriber.

I would like to share some of my experiences dabbling in the world of psychic mediumship...
Thanks for this, always find it s fascinating subject. Being from Scotland, there was always an auntie who had, 'the gift'!

So... question I often posed, 'Which horse is going to win the 2:40 race at Ascot tomorrow'?

'Oh, it disnae work like that...'.

Why not?

So... question I often posed, 'Which horse is going to win the 2:40 race at Ascot tomorrow'?

'Oh, it disnae work like that...'.

Why not?

Better question..why would or should it work like that? My most frequently reported phenomenon on here is apparent precognition in dreams. I became so accustomed to it and considered it such an established fact that i rarely bother to note my dreams any more. But at the the height of my interest "seeing the future" never once involved me choosing in advance what to "see" nor seeing it with the clarity of watching a movie screen. I was aware that the frequent facetious demand on those who claim to dream the future is "tell me this weeks lottery numbers then". A challenge which needs a simple response. "Absolutely I will! All I need from you is to tell me how".

There's a related fallacy regarding claims of telepathy. In the wild, so to speak, the purported phenomenon is experienced as the transmission or receipt of knowledge, notions, perceptions, perhaps imagery. Yet, perhaps due to comics and movies, many people seem to expect it should enable person A to recite a paragraph from a novel inside their head and person B to repeat it out loud. No one in the real world ever claims such an ability.

Last edited:
I do think your experience sounds very interesting, Robsocks. Personally, if I were to go down the 'something's going on' route. I'd find it a lot easier to swallow the telepathy explanation (that you were somehow picking up information from the person sitting in front of you) than that disembodied spirits were putting ideas in your head. Both ideas being a bit non orthodox of course. But my opinion's not the point.

- what I would like to ask is, did you have any sensation of where the images came from (like did they suddenly flash in or did you feel you were reaching out to find them)? And also, what kind of frame of mind were you in (relaxed, alert, on edge, etc)? And you went with a friend, so I suppose you could have been there with a slightly different attitude to some other attendees (you might have been more sceptical, or felt 'I've nothing to lose', or something else?). Thank you if you can explain a bit more.

Not sure it is what you're after but I've had a couple of experiences thatcould be thought of as inadvertent mediumship.

First one I've posted about on FTMB, when a very young child my great grandfather passed away and at the post funeral get together he spoke to me and asked me to relay a message. It didn't go down well which is why I remember it so vividly.

Second time it was a ouija board. Now everyone knows they are just ideomotor effect and BS right? Well how about this - I'll try and keep it short.
Late teens this time. At a party board comes out and a few of us have a go. Seems to work and a load of messages get spelled out, all a bit vague. Gradually people drop out and it's down to me and this other guy and we are both cracking up because we "know" it's the other one moving the planchette. Until he takes his hand off and to my amazement I continue to move the pointer round on my own!
Now I know it must be me but I'm making no intentional effort to do it, and I'm speaking to others while it's happening so it doesn't have my full attention while I'm doing it so typical ideomotor effect of course - now to the wierd bit. A message is spelled out but this isn't vague. This has a sender, recipient, a proper message (a warning about someone - by name) and a curious misspelling of a simple name. The message just keeps repeating. Now the recipient is in the room and he is spooked by it badly but is willing to share. His Grandfather had passed away not long before, and a week before he died had sent him a letter. That letter closed with the warning and the name and was misspelt the same way (that's the bit that really got him freaked) He said it was the last sentence of the letter pretty much word for word. So how did that get into my subconscious? Really how?

We all scoff at mediums, ouija, psi etc because of the high level of fraud and well intentioned fuzzy woo woos but I'm not going to throw out baby with the bath water. I've seen just enough to to convince me there is something that sometimes pops up, messes for a minute then disappears. Perhaps its all the same thing and we just label our interpretations with different names.
Hi Roland - fascinating tale, was the person who the message related to taking part in the session or was he just in the room at the time?

Yet, perhaps due to comics and movies, many people seem to expect it should enable person A to recite a paragraph from a novel inside their head and person B to repeat it out loud. No one in the real world ever claims such an ability.
On the upside that would be very easy to verify.

I do think your experience sounds very interesting, Robsocks. Personally, if I were to go down the 'something's going on' route. I'd find it a lot easier to swallow the telepathy explanation (that you were somehow picking up information from the person sitting in front of you) than that disembodied spirits were putting ideas in your head. Both ideas being a bit non orthodox of course. But my opinion's not the point.

- what I would like to ask is, did you have any sensation of where the images came from (like did they suddenly flash in or did you feel you were reaching out to find them)? And also, what kind of frame of mind were you in (relaxed, alert, on edge, etc)? And you went with a friend, so I suppose you could have been there with a slightly different attitude to some other attendees (you might have been more sceptical, or felt 'I've nothing to lose', or something else?). Thank you if you can explain a bit more.

The words seemed to just appear in my head. I didn't really see images as such, just words. I think I have felt the presence of spirits in the past, it was similar to when you sort of sense someone standing close behind you but you can't hear, feel, or see them, but I didn't feel anything like this. The more I think about it the more I lean towards telepathy.

I was very relaxed at the time. We had spent the morning sessions on both days meditating and visualising opening chakras, grounding, etc before moving on to the readings so we were all very relaxed and 'in the zone'.

It was certainly an interesting experience

Last edited by a moderator:
Back