• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Father's UFO Photo

There are several reasons that balloons don't work, as noted in my comments above. An antenna on top of a helium balloon? I'd like to see that. :) The land behind the gym was private property, not easily accessible except on foot through other private land, and searched by us. A ham radio antenna attached to a balloon in that spot would make little sense, there on the edge of the river bottom. A mile to the north, just off the highway and at the top of a pretty steep hill, was a disused parking lot that allowed an impressive view across the valley. Then there was the ephemeral nature of the "object" if that's what it was. Anyway, Dad looked around and up, of course, and if someone was back there with any sort of contraption at all, he'd have known about it.

Radio hams do some interesting stuff. Around 15 years ago, I bought some study materials and planned to get a license. Then I bought a couple of small receivers so I could listen in to see what it was used for in my area. It was pretty depressing. I mostly wanted a small handheld that could make use of repeaters, to make my forays into the desert a bit less risky, but I decided I wasn't up to dealing with the bullshit that went with it. Basically, it was a more civilized version of CB radio, with the participants endlessly discussing one of two topics: radio gear and conspiracy nonsense. It's too bad. I was getting into the technology, and at the time some very impressive gear was surprisingly affordable. Some hams bounce signals off the moon and are able to receive them on their return. Stuff like that would be fun, if I wanted to hang around with a bunch of screwballs.

So what did the thing look like? Not a flying saucer. It appeared to be a green sphere with a vertical rod or antenna sort of thing sticking up, the length of which appeared to match the diameter of the sphere. Below the sphere was a red conical looking shape, again about the same size as the sphere. None of the shapes were very crisply defined, but they were unambiguously there, if a bit hazy around the edges, particularly the wide part of the cone, at the bottom. In more recent discussions with people who saw the photos, some think I have the colours inverted. That could well be. One of my sisters said she saw something very similar on a TV show about UFOs. As I recall, she said it was at the very beginning, in a montage or something. The narrator said it was from somewhere in the Soviet Union, if I'm correctly recalling what she told me. All of this was a long time ago.
Something like this perhaps?
Images.png

I know. . . I've still got mine ~ haven't used it for years as I upgraded.
This is one I took on Thursday morning - heard a roar overhead, then someone talking loudly. So I went outside to have a look to see what all the commotion was all about, and this is what I saw ~
Air Balloon.jpg I thought they were a bit thirsty and were literally dropping in for a cuppa ~ very nearly, as it passed over it was only about 20 feet or less, above the roof of my house!

This is one I took on Thursday morning - heard a roar overhead, then someone talking loudly. So I went outside to have a look to see what all the commotion was all about, and this is what I saw ~
View attachment 43859 I thought they were a bit thirsty and were literally dropping in for a cuppa ~ very nearly, as it passed over it was only about 20 feet or less, above the roof of my house!
Something like that happened years ago when I was still living with my parents.
There was a thunderstorm outside and it very dark with heavy clouds in late afternoon/early evening. We heard a long, sustained droning noise and wondered what it was. Looking outside into the back garden, we saw a Goodyear blimp being tossed about by the winds, only a few feet above the trees. Eventually the crew got it under control and moved away.
It was a dramatic few minutes, I can tell you - I had visions of this thing crashing in the back garden!

It's not unlike a drop zone marker used by parachutists:

https://sky-shop.eu/drop-zone-marker-wind-direction-indicator

(you might need to click on the image to enlarge)

I do say not unlike, as the one light should be red not green and in no way an exact match, but there is a similarity

Also, a spark plug shaped hot air balloon was flying in the UK in 1977:

bristolballoonfiesta.co.uk/about-us/a-history-of-special-shapes-at-the-fiesta/
Link is dead. No archived version found.

(scroll down)

It actually passed over where I lived that summer, and yes, we all thought it was a UFO at first ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
On a recent trip back home, I found another copy of the mystery photo, quite by accident. I think this is probably the best of the enlargements Dad's photographer friend made. It's almost as beat up as the one I found last year, but it's a bit clearer and seems to be a good representation of what was on that long lost Polaroid. I got the scanner going and got a decent image out of it, so this is at least an order of magnitude better than the one I posted on the first page of this thread. That was a snapshot of the photo I've had for years, made with a pretty decent phone. I've done some fiddling with filters and such, and I may post another version or two after some more experimenting. (This is what I got out of the scanner, with no editing.) I've got a good photo editing program on one old computer or another. Maybe I'll dig that up. I spoze I could just download Gimp or something.

I did not discuss the photo or Dad's experience with him; in fact, I smuggled this photo out while he was dozing in his chair. I'm sure it would have been more trouble for him than it would have been worth. He's in a fragile state and takes some meds that cause dementia-like problems. The episode was fairly traumatic for him when he was young and strong. I doubt that it's the kind of thing he wants to revisit.

Attachments

• 1Nov22.jpg
    1Nov22.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
On a recent trip back home, I found another copy of the mystery photo, quite by accident. I think this is probably the best of the enlargements Dad's photographer friend made. It's almost as beat up as the one I found last year, but it's a bit clearer and seems to be a good representation of what was on that long lost Polaroid. I got the scanner going and got a decent image out of it, so this is at least an order of magnitude better than the one I posted on the first page of this thread. That was a snapshot of the photo I've had for years, made with a pretty decent phone. I've done some fiddling with filters and such, and I may post another version or two after some more experimenting. (This is what I got out of the scanner, with no editing.) I've got a good photo editing program on one old computer or another. Maybe I'll dig that up. I spoze I could just download Gimp or something.

I did not discuss the photo or Dad's experience with him; in fact, I smuggled this photo out while he was dozing in his chair. I'm sure it would have been more trouble for him than it would have been worth. He's in a fragile state and takes some meds that cause dementia-like problems. The episode was fairly traumatic for him when he was young and strong. I doubt that it's the kind of thing he wants to revisit.
Anyone else see a pale diamond shape surrounding the object, almost like a sail? Is it an artefact of the photo, or does the "object" consist of dark markings on a larger pale object?

Anyone else see a pale diamond shape surrounding the object, almost like a sail? Is it an artefact of the photo, or does the "object" consist of dark markings on a larger pale object?

Yes - I saw a sort of lighter "halo" surrounding the lower / darker / main portion of the anomaly.

I've taken the most recently posted image, excerpted the anomaly area, enlarged it, and severely tweaked the contrast / colors (etc.) to more clearly display this halo.

Though heavily pixellated, the enlarged and heavily modified result looks remarkably coherent (IMHO). The outline of this halo (white-ish in the modified enlargement) follows the contours of the dark shape in the originally posted image.

1Nov22-EDITED-A.png

Yes - perhaps more egg-shaped, but bulging more on the right than the left so it could be a sail billowing out that way.

Here's my quickly produced copy of where I see the diamond shape:

Object.png

Reactions: BS3
I always got the sense of cone shaped halos emanating down from each of the spherical looking elements. I think that was easier to see in the original. In my recently acquired print, the upper one seems pretty distinct. When I used a red filter in whatever program I was messing with, it seemed to bring this out. I'll see if I can get a version of that posted. I think I saved it on my laptop.

This image was especially weird (at least for us) in '76, before the movie Close Encounters startled many of us with its paranormal elements, and before the notion of UFOs as dimensional travelers became well known. The image, to me, seemed to bring into question the assumption that UFOs were flying saucers welded together on some other planet. Was it a solid object, or some kind of projection?

As I have mentioned, the thing freaked Dad out. He said he saw it on at least one other occasion, and hinted at other weird crap he wouldn't talk about. The place had a strange vibe, having been vacant for ten years. Dad was under a lot of stress around that time, being right in the middle of a local dispute over what should be done with the property. There were very strong ideas in several directions, and he was even receiving anonymous threats over the telephone. Caller ID was still several years in the future. People can be incredibly mean, and in my opinion, the reactionaries got just what they deserved. Too bad it wrecked the town. That's a topic for some other forum, though.

I'm wondering now if it's somehow attached to that big building sited behind the tree line. Could it be someone hoisting a balloon like object from the top of the towers, maybe conducting some kind of scientific experiment perhaps?

That was covered earlier. The roof was not easily accessed, even with a ladder. No signs of any such activity. What kind of experiments would produce such a photo, do you think? Access to the whole campus was limited then, and Dad would have been aware of any such activity. He dealt with looters, local kids misbehaving, vandalism, and so on. My friends and I spent quite a bit of time going over the building and the surrounding area looking for clues. Dad was easily within earshot of the gym when he took the photo. It was generally very quiet there, at that time.

The old powerhouse, Dad's HQ, was a hundred yards from the gym, if that. He would occasionally encounter a reporter or other curios person nosing around. He would remind them it was private property, mostly so they'd know he was keeping an eye on them. People did get in at night, mostly to steal stuff after the vacant campus started getting media attention. The looting got so bad for a while that he adopted a very well trained guard dog and started carrying a shotgun with him when he had to investigate strange noises or lights at night. He and the dog scared the shit out of some thieves one night. There was quite a bit of concern over the possibility of idiots starting a fire, which is what took out the lovely little chapel after the kooks took over. Dad had gone to considerable lengths to prevent that very thing, but idiots will be idiots. He and I watched the building burn while helping the local fire department. There was no saving it.

I spent a lot of time up there, sometimes working for Dad. If I had it to do again, I'd "curate" a lot more stuff before it disappeared. The Jesuits simply walked away, leaving tons of cool things sitting around.

What kind of experiments would produce such a photo, do you think?
Obviously, there is no reason to think that it 'was' an experiment 'Austin Popper,' but it could have been a possibility (say - to possibly study into the effects of experiments in atmospheric effects/like lightning, electricity etc), just putting the question simply because it might have been one reason to explain away the rather strange image.

It does seem likely to be some kind of aerial experiment, presumably one that didn't need much infrastructure on the ground. Perhaps a balloon antenna train on a cable, including several lightweight or buoyant objects such as transmitters or balloons.

Here's one from China- note the fact that the cable securing the train to the ground is not exactly vertical, due to the effects of wind-speed.
Photograph-showing-the-fabricated-conformal-balloon-antenna-lifting-in-the-air-for-scaled.png

If this were an experiment designed by a local student or hobbyist, it might not resemble anything we are familiar with - perhaps there is a small helium balloon at the very top, supporting a thin wire antenna for some perceived benefit. More conventional antenna trains look like this.
Balloon2.jpg

If this were an experiment designed by a local student or hobbyist, it might not resemble anything we are familiar with - perhaps there is a small helium balloon at the very top, supporting a thin wire antenna for some perceived benefit. More conventional antenna trains look like this.
Balloon2.jpg
My thoughts exactly. Simply because that's what it appears to look like - something which was tethered either to the roof, or within the grounds. It could easily have only been in view for just a short time then brought back down and removed, or possibly broken away.

Probably just some raccoons fooling around.

My idea doesn't match with your Dad's report but every time I see the image I see a copper cupola with a flag pole and small flag. There is no obvious church, tower or structure under it but the camera may have not been able to distinguish between the light background and the structure.

Here are some images to show what I mean:

A vintage cupola

Vintage-Spire-Cupola-Flag-Pole-Architectural-full-3o-720%3A10.10-85-727272.jpg

copper-green-roofs-on-towers-and-spires-in-prague-czech-republic-2FM5A17.jpg

peles-castle-spire-peles-castle-spire-carpathian-mountains-142261659.jpg

Two things struck me. It doesn't look very aerodynamic, and it's also quite an 'obvious' thing.

Surely, if it were a proper, 'aliens from another planet' type UFO, it would be a bit better designed for flying through an atmosphere? And also, assuming a covert mission, not quite so LOOK AT ME!!

I don't really have much truck with aliens visiting us, so I'm pretty sure it's something terrestrial in origin, but the two facts still remain that it was in the sky but not aerodynamic, and also very easy to spot, for somewhere that it sounds as though it wasn't meant to be.

Which makes me think it was some kind of atmospheric-testing equipment that had maybe broken away from its moorings, but came down very shortly afterwards.

One important thing to consider is that @Austin Popper 's father stated he'd seen the object previously. I think it's important to start from the assumption that the witness is truthfully representing what they saw, or think they saw. So we can temporarily discount the idea of it being a film blemish or similar 'retconned' as a UFO experience.

The previous sighting also seems to diminish the likelihood of it being a balloon-based or similar experiment. I'm not convinced that it's an overexposed part of local buildings either, given the witnesses' familiarity with the site.

I'm wondering whether the vaguely 'architectural' nature of the object and its transient (but repeating) experience might point to some freak, but recurring, mirage of a far more distant building - but that's just a wild suggestion.

The previous sighting also seems to diminish the likelihood of it being a balloon-based or similar experiment.
Unless it was a tethered balloon train, which could be raised and lowered at arbitrary intervals, even days (or weeks) apart.

Reactions: Sid
Thanks, BS3. The habit some people have of just assuming the witnesses were drunk/incompetent/morons when they see or hear something they can't easily explain as something mundane, is a pet peeve of mine. Likewise comments made without reading the original post, or not looking back at it when it has been a while. This thread is a year and a half old, but we're only on page three. I don't want to sound grouchy, but those two peeves are what caused me to leave this place. I suspect my current visit is nearing its end. Reddit is better when it comes to that stuff. Reddit, for chrisssakes! I really do like the people here, but I originally came to explore weird shit with smart, open minded people. It became, instead, my only social media hangout. The reductionist attitudes made the weird shit discussion tepid and annoying. Oh well, a forum is what its members collectively decide to make it, so more power to y'all. Everybody has to sleep at night.

There was no flag pole on the building. Access to the roof would involve trespassing and either a dangerous climb, or breaking and entering. There are no onion domes or steeples or anything else back there that could possibly account for the image. There was high grass behind the building, which we searched thoroughly. We left trails in that grass, which showed no sign of being disturbed when we arrived. We considered every possibility we could think of, and not being a bunch of clods, it was a pretty respectable list. My dad is not a liar, practical joker, teller of yarns, or a dumbass. He was a rational, stable thirty-something with good vision, quick reflexes, and varied life experiences. He wasn't into any kind of woo, and was annoyed at my interest in weird shit.

It looks like I have forgotten something that had a lot to do with my posting the picture. Some years after Dad saw this thing, one of my sisters saw something that looked a lot like it on some UFO documentary. She said it looked like the same kind of thing, whatever it was, and she thought it was stated the photo came from the Soviet Union. As I recall, she said it was in the opening sequence, where many photos were flashed across the screen, one after another. There were no details of the sighting. I had been wanting to post Dad's photo somewhere so that if there are other such things in photo collections, this one might be found. This is a very stable place, so it should be on line for a good while. Thanks to everyone who makes an effort to keep this place alive and free of garbage.

Austin:

Do you have any more clues to the similar object your sister saw in the documentary opening sequence? Approximate year she saw it? Title of the documentary? Anything? ...

One important thing to consider is that @Austin Popper 's father stated he'd seen the object previously. I think it's important to start from the assumption that the witness is truthfully representing what they saw, or think they saw. So we can temporarily discount the idea of it being a film blemish or similar 'retconned' as a UFO experience. ...

Agreed ... As I noted back in August 2021 the resemblance of the mystery object to a glitch in the Polaroid film couldn't be taken as an explanation, because Austin's father saw the object prior to snapping the photo. Furthermore, he'd seen it twice before the photo was taken:

- once on a previous occasion, and ...
- once when he noticed it on the later day (of the photo) when he had the camera on hand.

Austin:

Do you have any more clues to the similar object your sister saw in the documentary opening sequence? Approximate year she saw it? Title of the documentary? Anything? ...
Unfortunately, I got nothin'. I think Sis told me about it in about '81, but that's really a guess. I've done some image searches now and then, and even tried watching a few of those shows, which are mostly rehashes of the same cases featuring the same "experts" and, unfortunately, mostly awful. I might have to get serious and see what I can find at Youtube. There's an endless supply. For decades, Sis and her husband had the TV on 24-7, not kidding, they never turned it off. Conversations at their house were always in competition with what spilled out of the tube. Weird. I suppose it was something she saw on a cable channel around 1980. I habitually watch those sequences closely when I see such a show. When Jacques Vallee published his book about Soviet cases in the 90s, I think, I hoped to see that object in there, but nope.

Following a comment on the Loch Ness Monster thread about disappearing evidence, I've been thinking about one characteristic of this photograph that's common to other UFO images: the original disappeared, in this case after a period of turning up in unexpected places:

Dad kept the original in a drawer, and some of the enlargements he kept in other places. The original would often go missing, only to turn up in odd places later. Eventually it never came back. I have no idea what became of my copy. As of about 20 years or so after the photo was taken, we could find no trace of it or the copies

Comparing this to my own (digital) 'UFO' photograph I can only point to the fact that, even as a 'sceptic', I felt a bit uncomfortable looking at it. Indeed, I actively avoided looking at it, and only found quite recently that a copy still existed on a rarely used laptop. Why? I don't really know, but I do think such experiences are, for want of a better word, challenging enough to feel conflicted about seeing concrete evidence of them - even if I can think of one or two very reasonable explanations for what I saw. Everyone wants to believe they are a sane, reliable witness, I suppose.

Back