• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My First UFO, Or Not!

Cultjunky

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Having read descriptions of various sightings that amount to Chinese lanterns, last night, about 10pm, I saw four orange coloured orbs in the sky, and immediately assumed that they were Chinese lanterns.

It seemed such an obvious conclusion that I wonder how they could be mistaken for anything other than what they are.

One by one they disolved almost, if anyone has burnt a candle all the way down and noticed how as the candle comes to an end it kinda dims befor extinguishing, you'll understand what I mean.

They seemed to be above the north of Leeds, near Moortown/Roundhay Park. And Roundhay Park is known as a wedding reception venue. I say about 10pm, maybe 10.15ish.

Sounds like a textbook case of Chinese lanterns! Er, if such things are in textbooks yet.

Cultjunky, I also live in Leeds and I was out and about in Hyde Park at about that time. I saw a Chinese lantern above me, definitely not near Roundhay Park. It seemed quite high up, although it's hard to tell of course. Like yours it faded before it disappeared/went out.
With all the students round here they are a frequent occurrence.Inventions of the devil if you ask me. Do I mean Chinese lanterns or students? Well...

We probably saw the same lanterns then, I couldn't say for sure, but they seemed to be coming from student land, or that general direction. I'm in Chapel A, and they were to the north of me, so I assumed they were in the vicinity of Roundhay/Moortown.

"With all the students round here they are a frequent occurrence.Inventions of the devil if you ask me. Do I mean Chinese lanterns or students? Well..."

Tough call :lol:

Tough call
:D :) :lol:
We could well have been seeing different lanterns, they are that popular these days, and I only saw one and for long enough for any others to have been visible.
The Council now have a steward patrolling Woodhouse Moor on a golf buggy with a flashing light on top making sure the students don't have barbecues on the grass. Worthy of an OBE nomination methinks.

You're 'avin a laff :shock:

You sure the council buggy isn't a private security firm employed by all the takeaways in the area, afraid of going bankrupt should any of the students discover how to cook and pass the secret on in true Prometheus-like fashion?

:lol: :D
Possibly it's collecting up all the aluminium takeaway trays to stop them building them into a parabolic mirror to focus the Sun's rays onto their sausages.

Interesting.My UFO sighting on Christmas Day was of something which superficially seemed like a Chinese Lantern but wasn't acting like one, and there were other similar sightings that week.
In the US orange orbs are often seen flying low and slow, and do not exhibit much behaviour common amongst other colours and shapes of UFOs. In MUFON they are speculatively regarded as different.
Obviously this is the stage of a mystery's development where wrong conclusions are jumped to and mountains get made out of molehills, but the round orange lights might be of different nature and origin than the rest.

probably just stopping by to teleport down the walking monk for his daily stroll :D

i'm out kirkstall way and didn;t see anything much, but those chinese lanterns can look well strange. first time i saw one it was sort of in cloud and i could only really see the 'hole' at the bottom which somehow looked to me like a flying satellite dish with flames coming out of the middle :lol:

i'm out kirkstall way and didn;t see anything much

Maybe you will get people launching them from down by the abbey, and there's always the student residence on the canal.

i could only really see the 'hole' at the bottom which somehow looked to me like a flying satellite dish with flames coming out of the middle Laughing

Fiery dragons! Seriously, if they were around in ancient times and witnessed by people who didn't know what they were.....well, maybe?

Cultjunky said:
Having read descriptions of various sightings that amount to Chinese lanterns, last night, about 10pm, I saw four orange coloured orbs in the sky, and immediately assumed that they were Chinese lanterns.

It seemed such an obvious conclusion that I wonder how they could be mistaken for anything other than what they are.

One by one they disolved almost, if anyone has burnt a candle all the way down and noticed how as the candle comes to an end it kinda dims befor extinguishing, you'll understand what I mean.

They seemed to be above the north of Leeds, near Moortown/Roundhay Park. And Roundhay Park is known as a wedding reception venue. I say about 10pm, maybe 10.15ish.

I have to agree,they the Chinese lanterns.
so easy to make out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jayjay19822 ... MR7Bj4hnFo

Back