• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My House Does NOT Have a Ghost...

MercuryCrest

The Severed Head of a Great Old One.
Staff member
Oddly enough, I've found that throughout my life every place I've lived has had at least some sort of essence, character, or "lived in feeling" where you can tell that people have lived there or on the land that the house now occupies.

I never realized this until I moved to where I am now. The house is between 3 and 4 decades old and has been remodeled several times. It should be noted that I've lived in much, much newer houses that clearly had a presence of sorts, but this one is completely devoid of anything.

In fact, I'm a sensitive in that I can usually feel the essence of a place, or presence within said place. I never realized how much I missed that until living here for just over a year. I really can't stand not having that "feeling" around the house.

This house is cold and devoid of life (save those who actually live here). It has no character or essence. This house basically is nothing more than a house by the strictest of standards. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice place, just empty.

When I say the house is cold, I mean literally. Not cold drafts or spots or anything, but just all around cold. I know some of it is the color scheme--white, gray, etc. makes it feel cold, but even in the middle of summer it's not very warm.

I think this is because I've lived in some very characteristic places that either had beings in the house itself, or in the case of one that was built circa 1994 (I moved in in '95), was on ground supposed to be sacred. As well, I lived in one area in California that consisted of all brand new model homes, nothing had been in the area previous to the damnable developers, and there was definitely something in that house/on the grounds.

I don't just think it's a lack of ghosts, but rather I think that it (also) hasn't "soaked up any memories". I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turned out that only single people with relatively mundane lives lived here for a bit until they moved somewhere else. In fact, I'll put it on the line....I will bet hands down that at no time in the past has a family actually called this place a home for more than six months ("...until they found something else", kinda like they didn't want to get settled in, if a family ever lived here at all). I think I'm gonna see what I can dig up, so to speak.

On a lighter note, tonight I'm moving to a farm house in Lima Center, out in the country, and I even if this place doesn't have ghosts, it has a lot of character and memories soaked into the walls; in other words, it's very "warm" and inviting. I can't wait to get outta the city!

Let me know what any of you think about this, esp. those who have lived with ghosts and strangeness most of their lives.

I like where I live now. It's warm convenient, situated in nice gardens in a quiet area.

But being an old folks home built 30 years ago, it's obvious that, over the years, residents have come and - er - gone. Not that I have any psychic sensitivity to that sort of thing, but it doesn't bother me either, knowing that many people may have passed away here.

I may know what you mean about a place having an "essence", but I've never known how to interpret this feeling or whether to ascribe any real meaning to it, although I get it quite strongly at times. I get this feeling about buildings and also about locations outdoors, and in some cases about fairly large regions (e.g. an entire area of upstate New York that feels haunted to me). It's as though the place has a spirit or memory, and you can feel the weight of history, and a sort of rich stew of many mixed emotions. In the case of buildings it is often a function of age, but not always. Is that what you mean?

I know what you mean. I cannot live in new builds - I grew up in ancient houses and the atmosphere was always present like a backgound noise.

The place I live in now is actually fairly sterile although it 125 years old - just a little vibe. Some old places I've rented have been quite badly influential in their atmosphere - aftertaste of domestic tension and pain.

For the record I'm an IT geek not a crystal swinging new ager, but I've had enough wired stuff to become fortean in outlook - a sort of tory fort!

"Background Noise", I like that. That's pretty much what I mean.

Again, I've live in much newer places that were clearly "occupied", but this one is the most lacking-in-any-regard-place I've ever lived.

MercuryCrest said:
"Background Noise"

Again i think this is a good term, i have lived in houses from 500 to new years old (currently 500) and every house i have ever lived in has felt comfortable "warm" and inviting, some where one can relax. But when i vlived in the new build it was exactly as the OP said cold, cold all the time, no "Background noise". I have always said that a house must have had someone die in it before its a proper house.

Yes that sounds familiar. I posted about my previous flat here. My current place is a bit more lively. 8)

And again please Min with diagrams and info!

Not much to add really. The croc sat on top of some units, it rests on all its four feet, its stomach and most of its tail and was not hanging over the edge in any way. Very stable and exactly the last thing you would expect to fall down. Except it did. The more I think about it, the more weird it seems. :?

It had been in the same spot over 8 months adn if anything vibrates (eg washing machine) the UV machine vibrates in sympathy. Nothing else happened.

Gordon

i'm really surprised there's no reported spooks where i'm working atm... a listed building with a history going back to the 1700s... at least when i ask around, no-one knows anything...

I've been going around a lot of properties recently as we have decided to move and I agree 100% that there is some kind of essence or atmosphere in each house we visited. All exept one that is, and that was the oldest with a date carved on a lintel of 1648. This house was totally devoid of all personality or character. It was stifling in its lack of atmosphere and after we left the whole family agreed that it was suffocating.

We attributed it to the fact that it had obviously undergone a savage makeover in order to sell it. All the decor was brand new without so much as a smudge on the freshly painted walls.

Whatever the spiit of the house might have been had been totally submerged in fashionable beige paint, I only hope that if there is any remaining spirit of place, it gets the chance to re-emerge from it taupe tomb.

Back