• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Mothers 'Evil' Face

blakta2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
When I was about 15 or 16 I had an experience that still makes my skin crawl with fear when I think about it.
My family lived in a 3 bedroom, Ranch Style home that looked exactly like the home before it and after it and so on. They were "Mill Houses", created especially for the Pulp mill workers and their families. We moved in to our house when I was 14 and of course our whole family was excited because it was the first real house that we would buy. I have no proof about the previous owners of the house, but the grapevine had it that the family had problems with violence towards one another and that it was the downfall of their relationship with eachother...that and issues with alcohol and drug abuse. The first couple of months that we lived there were decent. I don't remember any strange occurences happening at that time that pointed to paranormal activity. We were all still floating excitedly on the new house cloud. The first paranormal experience I had in the house happened like this:
My father often had to travel for business and this left my Mother, my younger sister and myself alone together. We actually enjoyed these times because it meant we could watch what ever WE wanted on T.V., eat whatever WE agreed on, etc. The atmosphere was alot like that of a fun sleepover. One of these nights I happened to be lying on my parents waterbed watching television and munching on popcorn. I Thought I heard a rustling in the room outside of my line of vision as only the glowing neon light of the television was on, casting the rest of the room into shadow. I stopped chewing my popcorn and strained to hear better, turning the sound down on the tv. I heard nothing and shrugged, continuing my popcorn eating. Suddenly I heard it again, except this time it wasn't a rustling at all but a clear, intelligible voice that spoke plainly in my ear "Excuse Me Kim". My body became instantly paralyzed with fear and horror, my mouth, crammed full with a wad of popcorn, became suddenly void of all moisture. "Excuse me, KIM." the voice spoke loudly in my ear again. In an instant my limbs surged to life and I flew from the bed like a screaming banshee, the bowl of popcorn dumping everywhere. I ran into the living room and spent the rest of the night with my mother on the couch, refusing to go anywhere near that part of the house.
One evening I was walking home from a friends place. It was growing dark outside and I was running just a few minutes late. I looked up at the house as I walked closer to it and noticed that the kitchen light was on. My mother was standing in the window glaring out at me angrily. No, the look was much more than that of anger...it was a look of hate. Pure, unadulterated hate radiated from my mothers face through the window at me. My heart skipped a beat in my chest and I took in a sharp breath. What had I done? What could I have done to make my mother look at me like that? I didn't understand. My chest was tight with fear but I forced my legs to continue walking towards the house. My mothers face loomed closer as I neared it, taking on more clarity. She looked Evil. Anyone who knows my mother at all knows that it's damn near impossible for her to be evil, let alone look evil. She is kind, sweet and loving, as far from evil as anyone could be...but there she stood, her eyes boring into mine. I ran up the driveway to the front door and threw it open. "Mom!" I cried out. "MOM! What's wrong?" I asked as I headed into the kitchen. nothing. no answer. "Mom?" I asked again. She wasn't there. No way! I began to search the house from back to front. "Mother!?" she was no where to be found. No one was home at all. That in itself was strange, because there was always at least someone at home if Mom wasn't. All of a sudden the reality hit me. No one was in the house. No one had ever been here. I had seen something in the kitchen window, and that something was not my mother. I became very frightened at the thought that I was now in the house alone with that something. I grabbed the telephone and began to dial every number that might lead me to my mother. Finally I found her and begged her to come home. "Oh, Come on Kimberly!" She joked "You're old enough to be alone for a couple of hours! I'll be home soon. You'll be fine." I wiped tears of frustration and embarassment out of my eyes while I sat on the front porch waiting for her to arrive. There was NO WAY I was waiting in that house alone with that Evil Mom thing. Time went on in the house and there were more frightening experiences. My Sister had some, my mother and my own children did much later on. The house is still in our family but it is now being rented out. To this day I believe that I saw an apparition in the window that evening. The apparition of thing that spoke to me in my ear. It spoke to my best friend one night too as she lay paralyzed with fear in her sleeping bag. She was unable to wake me. she said it was as if I were dead. It had spoken clearly, just as it had to me...speaking her name. "Tina, that's a nice name." it said. She lay in her bag sobbing quietly until light finally filtered in through my bedroom window and I began to stir. I don't know why "it" took on the face of my mother and I am interested in hearing from anyone else who may have had experiences like it.
~Kim~

blakta2 said:
...I am interested in hearing from anyone else who may have had experiences like it.
Two things:

1) I was about four. I was laying next to my mother on her bed at about about 10:00 in the morning. The sunlight is shining through the room. I turn over on my side facing my mother. Suddenly she lets out this demonic, banshee-like unspeakably horrible howl as she turns around to face me, hand raised in the air like she is going to hit me. She's horribly disfigured; looks like the character Zelda from the movie Pet Semetary. Then, thankfully, I wake up. Just a dream, but to this day it's one of the most horrifying dreams I've ever had even though it only lasted for a fraction of a second. Her hand looked more like a talon in the dream.

2) The next thing happened around the same time, in the same spooky apartment I lived in.

It's at night. My whole room was illuminated by a lamp because I was afraid to sleep in the dark at that point. I wake up in the middle of the night to see my mother(?) standing in the doorway of my room looking in on me. She's glowing radiantly and has an incredibly soothing smile on her face. Rarely have I felt such a deep sense of peace and security as I did that night I saw her standing there. (One time I did was as I was being put under before undergoing an operation). I couldn't really figure out if the woman in the room was my mother because my mother never looked quite so angelic; so heavenly. The woman brought to my mind the image of one of those icons of (who I later learned was) the Virgin Mary that my grandmother had around her house. That's sort of what the she "felt" like you might say; the same sort of presence. I don't know how long this experience lasted before I went back to sleep, but my memory of it is very brief. Again, it is one of the most powerful experiences I have ever had despite the brevity of my recollection.

blakta2 said:
When I was about 15 or 16 I had an experience that still makes my skin crawl with fear when I think about it.

Jeepers that has certainly made my skin crawl!:eek: I think that wins as the scariest story I've read on here. Is it cold in here? Think I'll put the fanheater on.

Bannik, not even your lovely second story is nice enough to get rid of that! Brrrrrr.

I lived in a haunted place for 11 years, it was above and behind a shop with a garden at the back. My son came in screaming one day cause he'd seen a woman upstairs staring out of the back bedroom window at him with an evil look on her face (he wasn't very old, but old enough to explain why he was scared) Other people saw her too, she would actually stare at them, like she was interacting not a recording,and had a nasty feeling about her. She wore Victorian clothes,dark dress and paler apron/pinafore thing. Other stuff went on in that room (like the curtains blowing into the room when the window was closed) It wasn't a nice place.

a TALON!!!??

God Bannik, a TALON? that is horrible. Although it was only a dream I'm sure it was one that has stuck with you over the years. How could it not?
~Kim~ (also, the vision of your mother howling in that horrific way...DANG!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and Marion, Your story gives me the willies too. I can envision the angry face staring out of the upper window. I understand what you mean about interacting . I do somewhat believe that in some circumstances there could be an image somehow recorded and played over and over...such as on an old battlefield where warring soldiers fight over and over again locked in mortal combat or lets say maybe a ghost train that continually travels down tracks that may no longer even exist. My thought is that maybe in life, because these incidents took place over and over again over long periods of time that they were somehow recorded. I believe that the appropriate atmospheric make-up needs to be in place as well, although I don't know exactly what that make-up is, that allows the recording to take place. I thoroughly believe that if a ghost seems to be interacting with its surroundings that it is interacting with its surroundings. There are far too many incidents of ghostly activity out there for it to all be crap! I am determined to believe! so believe I must!
~Kim~

I've mentioned it before on another thread but there IS the theory that the 'ghost' inhabits the very ground and space you are occupying when you see what you think is the Ghost. In fact you are seeing the image that the ghost saw because you are inhabiting that space at that particular time. The 'ghost' is possibly a spirit in the garden who once saw his very angry mother glaring at him from the window and YOU happen to walk into that space where the vision can be seen. It also explains the interaction. There may be no real interaction at all. It also explains why when there is interaction the interaction is the same- someone waving, or glaring, or smiling.

Now if that doesn't send chills up your spine then I haven't explained it clearly enough.

This theory doesn't explain how the ghost knew the girl's names Kim and Tina or how the vision seen at the Kitchen window took the form of the Mother. No child mistakes someone else for their mother. I could recognise the back of my mothers head from amongst a crowd half a mile off if given time and binoculars. Anyone could.:eek!!!!:

woah!

Wow. That actually did send chills up my spine. I do rather like the theory, but like you said, it doesn't explain the names and the fact that the entity was my own mother...but who's to say that all hauntings and "ghost" like activity have to be the same. Like I suggested to Marion up there, maybe there are recordings of activity that happened a long time ago. Maybe your theory is exactly right insome instances, and maybe there are actual ghosts out there, the visible souls of the dead that are trying for some reason to reach out to the living and make us aware of their presence.

Re: a TALON!!!??

blakta2 said:
God Bannik, a TALON? that is horrible. Although it was only a dream I'm sure it was one that has stuck with you over the years. How could it not?
~Kim~ (also, the vision of your mother howling in that horrific way...DANG!)
I think I maybe sensed some anger in my mother (who like yours was not in any way angry on the surface). My subconscioius picked up on it where my conscioius mind didn't. In the dream she was deformed by her rage. I think it's possible that is what the entity you saw represented too. A dark side of your mother that you sensed, but your conscioius mind didn't want to acknowledge. This isn't meant as a criticism of your mother. We all have our dark sides, don't we? And of course I could be completely wrong also. ;)

Ever heard of a tulpa? It's a Tibetan word that affectively means "entity of the imagination".

They believe that the world around us isn't "real", but it is willed into existance by our minds, and because we believe it to be real, our minds make it real - Sorta reminds me of the Matrix heh.

So effectively we're all trapped in a construct of our own minds ... and even though it seems a pretty "far out" idea, it explains why people see the things they do, from angels to demons to UFO's - they are things that have been unknowingly brought into being by us and by those around us, all the good and bad vibes people give out when they're emotionally charged. Where as the logical thought is what keeps the world in balance, a world based on rules.

It is said we use 10-12% of our brains ... or is it we just don't undertsnad what the other 90% is really doing?

-Kornflake™

Isn't there a case of a woman who deliberately set out to create her own tulpa whilst in Tibet. He manifested as a kindly-looking chubby monk, but as days went on he got more and more malevolent. I'm a bit hazy with the facts, as it's some time since I read about it.

can others see the Tulpa or is it just a figment of the imagination?

MS Indigo, The case you're talking of is the French explorer Alexandra David-Néel, after much meditation she managed to create a monk like entity, a short chubby jolly looking one. After a while she was able to will him into existence whenever she wanted, he would almost flit into and out of sight in a ghost like way.

With a lot of practice she got the tulpa so she could almost not distinguish him from physical reality.

Alexandra eventually lost control of the tulpa, he began manifesting when she had not willed it, and he was beginning to change his appearance to a much slimmer, malevolent looking monk.

Around this time her companions began asking questions about "the stranger" who has been hanging around the camp, Alexandra realised her tulpa was beginning to take on a more physical form. Using different meditation techniques she was able to "reabsorb" the tulpa back into her concious, the tulpa proved very unwilling and this took several weeks.

Lyra, under normal circumstances a Tulpa would be imaginary, like an extension of it's creators unconscious, but the Tibetan belief is everything around us is imaginary, and the collective conscious of the worlds population keeps it "real", so if the world is imaginary, then anything can be imagined into being. Whether purposefully or not.

There are many cases I’ve read in the past that can be explained by this belief, here’s one example I’ve just pulled off the internet:

"In 1973, a group consisting of eight members of the Society of Psychical Research in Toronto decided to find out more about these mysterious [PK] effects....The group was an ordinary cross-section of the population: an accountant, an engineer, an industrial designer, a scientific research assistant, and four housewives. None of them claims to be a medium."
- A. R. G. Owen in Conjuring Up Philip
"(1) The Toronto group produced raps and table movements, of an apparently paranormal nature, in full light, in many places, with different tables.
(2) They did not designate anyone person as a special communicator, nor did they believe that any single member of the group was a medium or had more power than any of the other members. In fact, any combination of four of the original group was able to produce the phenomena.
(3) They do not believe that their communicator was a discarnate spirit. Their common focus of attention was an invented character, a product of their own imaginations."
(Philip, the invented character, has performed in full light in a documentary film and before TV cameras and a studio audience.)
"...The group had motivation and expectancy....they were able to create an atmosphere of harmony. This was more than just a 'good friends' feeling; the group members have come to regard themselves as a family, and they behave together very like a closely knit family.
"A significant psychological asset was the fact that they had created together a 'personality' who could become the focus of their attention, and even more important, that they could ascribe to their 'personality' the production of the phenomena, so that no one needed to be bothered about the question of who or what produced the phenomena.. Philip was held entirely responsible, and it was remarkable how quickly the members took to addressing the table as Philip."
"Positive and expectant thought were absolutely necessary to keep the phenomena 'alive'."
"There was a definite correlation between the affirmation of the group mind as to the desirability of a specific question being pout to Philip and the loudness of the raps, which seemed geared to the actual affirmative or negative nature of the response."
"If at any time an unlikely situation could be created, when all the tensions and stresses of all the members of the group were resolved, it is probable the phenomena would evaporate, at least temporarily. The tensions and stresses probably responsible for a good deal of the raps and movements were not consciously apparent to the members of the group. They only manifested themselves as a shared experience."
"...During the summer months of 1974 when the Philip group had a rest, individual members of the group reported inexplicable and unusual poltergeist-type happenings in their own homes."
- Iris M. Owen with Margaet Sparrow, Conjuring Up Philip

In the above extract, a group of people created a character to focus their concentration on, effectively meditating a tulpa who was able to interact with the physical world. After the end of the experiments no care was taken to “reabsorb” the tulpa, and Phillip continued to exist in the unconscious of those who created him for a while.

-Kornflake™

Kornf1ake said:
It is said we use 10-12% of our brains ... or is it we just don't undertsnad what the other 90% is really doing?
Unfortunately this is a myth.
Good story though. :)

re; Banniks reply

Bannik Said:
QUOTE]I think I maybe sensed some anger in my mother (who like yours was not in any way angry on the surface). My subconscioius picked up on it where my conscioius mind didn't. In the dream she was deformed by her rage. I think it's possible that is what the entity you saw represented too. A dark side of your mother that you sensed, but your conscioius mind didn't want to acknowledge. This isn't meant as a criticism of your mother. We all have our dark sides, don't we? And of course I could be completely wrong also. "[/QUOTE]

I like your idea. You could be right. I was a teenager at that time and of course, as teenagers we often learn that our parents are far from the perfect saints they seem to us when we were little ones. Then we become adults and we learn that they are only human . A friend of mine suggested that I feared reprisal for being late that evening, and my have feared reprisal for other things that teenagers have a tendency to keep from ones parents, and the fear I had projected itself into the image at the window. I don't know for sure, but both ideas are quite possible. I DO know that I DID see the image there. If it was an entity that inhabited my childhood home and hovered in all of it's horrific glory over my bed at night, then so be it...Thanks for the ideas
~Kim~

Re: re; Banniks reply

blakta2 said:
A friend of mine suggested that I feared reprisal for being late that evening, and my have feared reprisal for other things that teenagers have a tendency to keep from ones parents, and the fear I had projected itself into the image at the window....... If it was an entity that inhabited my childhood home and hovered in all of it's horrific glory over my bed at night, then so be it...Thanks for the ideas
~Kim~

It could be one and the same. As you say, you were a teenager. Combine all that existential angst with an area that already has some kind of 'weakness' or 'energy', and you've got yourself a classic poltergeist, haven't you? You've got some kind of entity - which may never have had an identity, just some random emotion - and fuel it with teenage hormonal confusion, and sit back and watch the television go on the fritz.

Tulpa..... how scary is that!!!

So are you telling me that people I know could be a manifestation?! How do I explain that one away!;)

Recurring theme of almost all of these experiences….

One of these nights I happened to be lying on my parents waterbed watching television and munching on popcorn

You fell asleep and dreamed your experience… later you told your friend who (not surprisingly) had a similar dream.

My mothers face loomed closer as I neared it, taking on more clarity. She looked Evil.

You saw reflections in a window that you envisaged was you mother.

I am betting you were about 13-16 at the time. A classic time for young females when hormones seem to cause a wide range of “paranormal” effects on their brains (and maybe even some external effects?)

No need to panic guys.. just normal human dreaming, hallucination or mental chemical overload.

Dark Detective,

Nice to see you picked up on the brain usage myth.. its amazing that one still gets a run !

just normal human dreaming, hallucination

Maybe I'm just thick-headed, but "normal" hallucination? I don't know about anyone else, but I've never had one in my life, and I certainly wouldn't consider it everyday business if I did! Far too many interesting experiences are written off as hallucinations, to the point where that explanation is now stretching a bit thin. I find it easier to believe that people around the world see strange-but-existant things every day, than that they have hallucinatory visions every day!!

I also disagree that a teen (or adult) would not know the difference between a dream, and seeing something while awake. While a dream may seem realistic while it is happening, there is no mistaking the feeling of waking up from the dream. Even if it happens suddenly, as from a nightmare, there is still the feeling of opening your eyes and coming back to full consciousness.

Dancing Queen

(young and sweet .. only seventeen.. oooh yeah)

Maybe I'm just thick-headed, but "normal" hallucination?

Yep you are thick headed (lol)… I said

“Normal human dreaming (COMMA), hallucination (as a separate thing from normal human dreaming)”

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never had one in my life, and I certainly wouldn't consider it everyday business if I did!

How do you KNOW that. This is the trouble.. people who have hallucinations THINK they are real.. so you wouldn’t think you have had an hallucination. That said I think they are quite rare (un drug induced ones anyway).. but then so are visions of evil mothers !

Far too many interesting experiences are written off as hallucinations, to the point where that explanation is now stretching a bit thin. I find it easier to believe that people around the world see strange-but-existant things every day, than that they have hallucinatory visions every day!!

So you discount a KNOWN cause for people seeing weird things to a supernatural, paranormal explanation with NO evidence or precedent ? I’ll stick with the realistic explanation.

I also disagree that a teen (or adult) would not know the difference between a dream, and seeing something while awake. While a dream may seem realistic while it is happening, there is no mistaking the feeling of waking up from the dream. Even if it happens suddenly, as from a nightmare, there is still the feeling of opening your eyes and coming back to full consciousness.

Well I personally have had vivid realistic dreams that I could not distinguish from reality until reality showed me otherwise.

I once dreamed I had smashed my prized GT falcon.. I examined the car for an hour the next morning to find signs of the smash.. for a while I even thought someone else had repaired it without me knowing..

“Normal human dreaming (COMMA), hallucination (as a separate thing from normal human dreaming)”

I realize that you meant them separately. I addressed them separately in my post.

That said I think they are quite rare (un drug induced ones anyway).. but then so are visions of evil mothers !

According to your explanation, it is NOT POSSIBLE that hallucinations are "quite rare". Since you seem to discount experiences of ghosts as hallucinatory, then people who live in supposedly haunted houses must hallucinate regularly. And, given the number of paranormal happenings around the world every day, then many healthy people must be having these hallucinations- every day!!! This would mean that they are not rare at all!

So you discount a KNOWN cause for people seeing weird things to a supernatural, paranormal explanation with NO evidence or precedent ? I’ll stick with the realistic explanation.

I'm sorry, but assuming that a person is hallucinating every time they experience something out of the ordinary is NOT realistic. :rolleyes: Yes, hallucinating is a "known cause for people seeing weird things". But these people are under the influence of drugs, or have mental or physical disorders. Maybe, I can even stretch my imagination to include people under severe strain of some kind. Bu most people have none of these problems on a daily basis. Please show me your large-scale proof of normal, healthy individuals hallucinating for no apparent reason, and tell me how you came to prove it.

As for evidence or precedent, where is yours? You wrote yourself that people who hallucinate believe it is really happening, so how could one possibly get "evidence" to prove such a thing? Especially if they are alone when they experience it? It would be impossible to prove that it was indeed a vision and not really happening. Even if there were multiple witnesses, all seeing the same thing, would that just "prove" to you that it was a so-called "mass hallucination"?

Well I personally have had vivid realistic dreams that I could not distinguish from reality until reality showed me otherwise.

Reality shows you otherwise immediately when you wake up. Unless you dreamt of going to bed at the end of your dream,
hence making your waking up a realistic next step, I have difficulty understanding how you could have been so convinced it really happened.

If we had just one confirmed instance of paranormal activity perhaps I would give it some credence.

I am curious as to what would count as "confirmed". Various research methods have shown that something (i.e. temp change, readings on emf meters, etc) happens when a supposed haunting is going on, so it cannot just be in our minds. People from all walks of life, throughout the millennia, have experienced the paranormal. There are places which have been hotspots of paranormal activity throughout the years and regardless of what people are there. What is possibly left to "confirm"?

DQ,

I realize that you meant them separately. I addressed them separately in my post.

But you applied the word NORMAL to hallucination when I only applied it to dreaming.

According to your explanation, it is NOT POSSIBLE that hallucinations are "quite rare". Since you seem to discount experiences of ghosts as hallucinatory, then people who live in supposedly haunted houses must hallucinate regularly. And, given the number of paranormal happenings around the world every day, then many healthy people must be having these hallucinations- every day!!! This would mean that they are not rare at all!

Hallucinations are just ONE of the explanations of “hauntings”. Probably not the most common at all ! I would say that mistakes, memory problems, weird natural events (wind, animals etc), fraud, mental illness make up the majority of cases.

I'm sorry, but assuming that a person is hallucinating every time they experience something out of the ordinary is NOT realistic. Yes, hallucinating is a "known cause for people seeing weird things". But these people are under the influence of drugs, or have mental or physical disorders. Maybe, I can even stretch my imagination to include people under severe strain of some kind. Bu most people have none of these problems on a daily basis. Please show me your large-scale proof of normal, healthy individuals hallucinating for no apparent reason, and tell me how you came to prove it.

I can’t.. its lucky I don’t think this is the most common cause of these things.

As for evidence or precedent, where is yours? You wrote yourself that people who hallucinate believe it is really happening, so how could one possibly get "evidence" to prove such a thing? Especially if they are alone when they experience it? It would be impossible to prove that it was indeed a vision and not really happening. Even if there were multiple witnesses, all seeing the same thing, would that just "prove" to you that it was a so-called "mass hallucination"?

I don’t think mass hallucination ever happens. I think you can have mass suggestion and people “act out” what is expected of them (like those hypnotist shows). Generally when you have multiple witnesses who don’t collude it is the result of one of the other natural causes of “paranormal” pheneomena.

Reality shows you otherwise immediately when you wake up. Unless you dreamt of going to bed at the end of your dream,
hence making your waking up a realistic next step, I have difficulty understanding how you could have been so convinced it really happened.

You mean to say you don’t believe me ?? I’m SHOCKED.. its solid anecdotal evidence !!!

I can only tell you what happened (maybe I have a faulty memory of it too ?).. I REALLY thought my car was smashed up down the right hand side.. the shock, relief, disbelief when I found out it wasn’t was palpable.

This has happened to me more than once.. generally if I wake up and the Dream was vivid by impossible I immediately realise it was a dream.

I am curious as to what would count as "confirmed". Various research methods have shown that something (i.e. temp change, readings on emf meters, etc) happens when a supposed haunting is going on, so it cannot just be in our minds. People from all walks of life, throughout the millennia, have experienced the paranormal. There are places which have been hotspots of paranormal activity throughout the years and regardless of what people are there. What is possibly left to "confirm"?

He he.. the mods allocated that sig quote for me.. (although it was mine).. It is hard to define.. I guess I mean surely with all the MASSES of sightings, readings, ghosts, UFO’s etc etc.. something by now would have passed into the realms of fact !

Deary me. All these people having all these hallucinations. I hope they don't hold current driving licences....

Helen said:
Deary me. All these people having all these hallucinations. I hope they don't hold current driving licences....
Maybe they're the ones that get abducted while they're driving. Or pick up phantom hitch-hikers. Or swerve to avoid hitting shadowmen or phantom white ladies.

Don't forget the ones whose cars break down in the middle of nowhere and sufer from 'missing time'.

I myself have been a victim of missing time. What a night that was. :D

Back