• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Nan's Hearing Strange Voices

Dentonboy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hello all. I am a long time browser, but hadn't signed up to post anything, until now.

My paternal grandmother is 90 years old. She lives in a leafy road in Goring, West Sussex and is mentally as sharp as a tack. She lives alone after her ex-RN husband (my beloved grandfather (and brass band member)) passed away at least 20 years ago. She has lived in this house since the 1960s. It is detached with neighbours about 10-15 feet away on either side and her 40 foot back-garden backs onto houses behind.

My father is a regular visitor, especially as lately she has had some falls and a nasty D&V illness. He is her only child.

Recently, my Dad has said that she has told him that she is hearing talking and singing. Delving a little deeper, I have today found out the following, which I wonder may ring true with members on here or may not:

- Between 4am and 7am, my grandmother, who is convinced that she is awake, hears an engine noise rev up. This is then followed by a man's voice either talking or singing. My nan wrote down 10-12 songs that she heard in succession. She went to the window to see if a car was outside (her bedroom is at the front of her house, the length of her front garden from a residential road - about 6-7 metres). There was nothing there.

This event can be faint or louder. It always starts with the engine noise - "when I hear the engine, I know he's coming." My father has never heard it and he is there during many different times in the day. She doesn't hear it during other times. Sometimes the words in the songs are wrong or incorrect.

The radio was taken out of the room. It continued.

Her hearing aids aren't in. Her hearing isn't good - hence aids - but this voice is loud and clear enough to hear.

The only electronic device in the room is a portable landline phone, which is 'on the hook'.

The television downstairs is off - and is quite a way away from her bedroom.

Mine and my father's theories are:

*The phone is somehow transmitting a local radio station or pirate radio or CB channel.

*It is a sinister attempt by an outside element to make my nan want to sell her house. Is someone trying to convince her or others that she is mad and thus sell her (£300k+) detached house?

*It is a sound from a nearby household or regular visitor to the road. However, none of the neighbours - when asked - have said they have heard these noises, despite many being early risers. This seems to rule out a 'pirate radio studio' nearby.

*It is supernatural. My grandfather was very musical and his late brother was a marching band member/composer. This isn't a voice she recognises as anyone she knows.

*It is all in her head. My nan is coming around to this conclusion. But why the exact same window of time when this occurs.

*It is a vivid dream and my nan believes that she is awake whilst hearing this event.

My father is thinking of staying the night there, and I've suggested that my nan tries to record it on a device with a mic' if she hears it.

Any thoughts or theories at all please?

I think the last suggestion is a good idea and sound can carry really well in the early hours

Welcome to the forums, Dentonboy.

In unusual situations I am a great believer in starting with the most likely explanation and working outwards to the least. If it is a thoughtless visitor with their car radio on then your dad staying over will confirm that and the presence of family members will also act as a deterrent if anyone is trying to spook her.

The possibility of it being a dream looks likely, has she had vivid ones in the past?

These events are apparently now more frequent. I first heard that these were happening about 5-6 months ago. It started with my nan hearing a nursery rhyme and it appears to have escalated from there. I'm guessing the longest 10-12 song event lasted what must have been 30 minutes plus.

It is quite a long, residential road away from main traffic routes. One would imagine prolonged noise outside of the house at that time in the morning, would generate complaints and be heard by others. The fact it hasn't heightens my suspicions!

My main worry is that it is a symptom of an illness. She has been in and out of Worthing hospital with D&V and a fall since Christmas and apart from what she has been admitted with, tests haven't picked up any underlying health concerns.

She survived breast cancer in 2001 with no reoccurance to my knowledge of anything else similar.

My main worry is that it is a symptom of an illness. She has been in and out of Worthing hospital with D&V and a fall since Christmas and apart from what she has been admitted with, tests haven't picked up any underlying health concerns.
D & V? Is that Diarrhoea and Vomiting or Dizziness and Vertigo?
Perhaps she has inner ear problems that are causing auditory hallucinations? However...that would not explain the regular timing.
I think someone should stay overnight with her and stay awake all night, observing.

Can I ask what the 10-12 songs that your nan heard in succession were?

When you say she wrote them down, do you mean that they were songs that were known to her and she wrote the title? Or that she wrote some of the lyrics?

I think someone should stay overnight with her and stay awake all night, observing.

This would be the sensible thing to do. Also, I doubt this -

*It is a sinister attempt by an outside element to make my nan want to sell her house. Is someone trying to convince her or others that she is mad and thus sell her (£300k+) detached house?

If the neighbours haven't heard anything.

Will get back with song titles. The original rhyme that I think she heard was a child's nursery rhyme: 'Mary Mary..."

D&V - Vomiting etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Quite contrary
how does your garden grow
with silver bells and cockle shells
and pretty maids all in a row

Is that the one? I may have got a few bits wrong

I think it was that...or similar.

I think she is hearing old fashioned things...but will have to see the list that she wrote.

It is all very perculiar. My initial thoughts was that it was some sort of transmission that was being accidentally broadcast on a device. But that seems less likely now that most things are off/out of the room.

It would be Sod's Law if someone were to stay there and for it not to occur!

Can I ask what the 10-12 songs that your nan heard in succession were?

When you say she wrote them down, do you mean that they were songs that were known to her and she wrote the title? Or that she wrote some of the lyrics?

Was going to ask the same thing. I'm thinking your nan is not going to know what's the latest no 1 in the charts? So are the songs part of her past?

I think it's unlikely that it's some sort of Midsommer Murder plot to get rid of her. I'd reckon it would be a lot more sinister if it was, (people knocking on her door/shadowy figures, etc) and why risk it? An elderly women who will probably end up in a nursing home soon enough anyway.

Some people do just park up and sit there listening to the radio. I know of one guy along my route to work at night that parks his car at the same spot maybe once a week and has a joint.

I think recording it is a great idea. I also think that if someone is staying they are going to have to stay for awhile.

So what does your nan think is going on? It does not sound like your typical "voices" experience but who knows?

Well, she's not going down the nursery home route; she is a fiercely independant lady who "lived through the Blitz" so that is her mindset.

I believe she thinks it is outside her house...hence going to her window to see if it was an obvious source.

The fact it is *always* preceded by that engine revving up sound just adds another layer of oddity.

I think it's more likely that it's inside her head, particularly if her hearing is not good. Her brain may be producing auditory stimulus in the absence of actual input. And old tunes or nursery rhymes could well be what the mind of a 90 year old lady would conjure up.

Re the engine revving and timing, maybe there is a neighbour who goes to work at this time, revs the engine loud enough to wake her up & she then hears the other things. Someone staying the night & keeping awake sounds like a good idea.

I'm certainly not ruling out old age as the causal factor.

I hope we can set up a recorder or witness, purely so we can see if it is outside or inside...

Thanks for all of your replies and theories.

I've heard strange motor running noises and loud voices in the early hours myself and wondered what it was.
I've noticed that one of my neighbours across from my house and around the corner has 3 motor homes parked in the driveway and in the back garden. I've recently come to the realisation that they may be occupied, probably by relatives of the house owner.
I'm wondering if the noises I've heard are connected to this - perhaps they were running the motor to charge up the batteries.

Referring to the original post... are there any motor homes parked near your Nan's house?

I can certainly ask. It is quite a well-to-do road so possible that campers are parked on drives.

I'm thinking your nan is not going to know what's the latest no 1 in the charts?

That was my train of thought too, I'm half her age and wouldn't know most current popular music if it jumped up and bit me.

Between 4am and 7am, my grandmother, who is convinced that she is awake, hears an engine noise rev up. This is then followed by a man's voice either talking or singing.

quiet early mornings, laying awake in bed, tinnitus ?

pretty much meets the bupa definition

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/directory/t/tinnitus

"Tinnitus is the unwanted perception of sound. It can be high-pitched whistling, buzzing, ringing, hissing, humming or roaring like the ocean. It can affect one or both of your ears. These sounds may be constant or can come and go. The sound may beat in time with your heartbeat (known as pulsatile sound). Rarely, some people may experience tinnitus in the form of snippets of tunes, music or songs. This is called musical hallucinations."

Remember that in a hypnagogic or hypnopompic state, you may be able to hear distant or faint sounds hugely amplified. A few days ago, for example, I was awoken by the sound of what I initially thought was loud rasping breathing outside my bedroom window. When I surfaced into wakefulness, I realised it was someone scraping the ice off their car windscreen at the bottom of our road. When fully awake, the sound was barely audible. When still half asleep, it sounded frighteningly loud and strange.

I don't know if this is quite the same, but my Sri Lankan friend's mother is also in her 90's. As well as having her over to her house a couple of times a week she also stays one night a week with her after doing her shopping and cleaning the house.
Anyway she always complains that her mother keeps waking her up saying that the drummers are coming and doesn't she hear them? Of course there's no drumming to be heard and my friend thinks her mother is remembering back to when they lived near a Buddhist temple before they moved out here.

I have suffered with tinnitus for a few years now following a nasty head injury after a car accident. Just a lately I have been convinced my neighbour had her telly on too loud, it sounded just like a man talking but I couldn't make out what he was saying. It took me a while to work out that it was my tinnitus, could there be a possibility that your nan is developing tinnitus?
I don't hear the mubling guy all the time, just when the house is empty and quiet I guess my brain is just processing the constant noise in my head in strange ways.
I do hope you help your nan get to the bottom of her strange noises.

Thinking from the tinitus angle, would it be worth recording/listening to a selection of "white noise" (rain/beach sounds etc) videos from the net just to see if that would be of help?

Good suggestion, I think.

But would it work with Dentonboy's nan though, maybe it's worth a try if only to eliminate the possibility of tinitus? (ok I admit it wouldn't considered a scientific method though.)

It doesn't cure tinnitus, (I have this also), but it helps a little with tuning out the ringing. I have a phone app that does various white noises on a loop. My fav is the Gregorian Monks Chanting, very sonorous to help me get off to sleep. It's a horrible condition.

Please don't get me wrong re:- "curing tinnitus", I wasn't suggesting an all end cure, it only a idea to help Honeyplant & possibly help Dentonboy's nan. I'm sorry if it did come across that way.

Thinking from the tinitus angle, would it be worth recording/listening to a selection of "white noise" (rain/beach sounds etc) videos from the net just to see if that would be of help?

Ive found the use of such stimuli fascinating and at times amazing. It does help you drift off and on one occasion I awoke to the sound of Opera music and a female singer! I removed the headphones expecting to hear next door playing the said music but silence. So I placed the headphones back on and after a few minutes off she started again singing with great love and joy which felt like it was directed at me. Since that Ive never heard the voice nor music when listening to the same track...and no, Im not a Opera fan either,nor did I have the MP3 player on shuffle.

Dentonboy, I sincerely hope all goes well...I juggled work with looking after my own grandmother in her last years and Id do it all again - no regrets at all.

With great respect I am glad to have met you here.

I also have tinnitus, it changes tone a lot, but also you can get banging in your head and the odd sudden shouting voice, usually one word, i find that i am ok and do not notice it so much if i am busy or there is other noise,but, if you listen to closely you can either find it relaxing or tipping you over the edge into madness

Back