• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Next TV Box Set.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
I can't find a 'recommendations' thread for TV shows, they each seem to get a thread of their own and I didn't want to start eleven new ones. I've drawn up a list of possibilities and was wondering if anyone had seen any of them and if they are any good.

Quarry
Sleepy Hollow
Mr. Robot (series2)
Nashville
The Tunnel
Legion
Stan Lee's Lucky Man
The Path
Timeless
Modus
Jessica Jones

Or have you a recommendation that's not on this list?

Legion: only seen 1st episode but pretty good, 2 & 3 recorded, watch tonight.

Stan Lee's Lucky Man:
good.

We've recently watched High Maintenance. Only 6 episodes I think, but amazingly filthy and hilarious. :D

Techy likes the farfetched sci-fi/superhero stuff yawn but that's not my bag. Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, Westworld, no superpowers or geniuses.

I really love The Sopranos. It's back on Box Sets at the moment so poor Techy's stuck with it.

Gotham 2 is also on my list but that has it's own thread.

My recent recommendations are The Night Of, Preacher, Banshee and The Affair. << This last one had the first half of an episode from one characters point of view and the second half from another. Both versions of events could differ wildly from each other but were basically the same.

A show I gave up on was Better Call Saul. I enjoyed the first series but couldn't finish the second.

Jessica Jones is fantastic, as is Luke Cage.

Have you watched Daredevil?

They will make most sense if you watch in this order...

Daredevil 1
Jessica Jones
Daredevil 2
Luke Cage

Then you'll be set for Iron Fist in a few weeks!

You gals and guys have a lot of time on your hands :p

I can't find a 'recommendations' thread for TV shows, they each seem to get a thread of their own and I didn't want to start eleven new ones. I've drawn up a list of possibilities and was wondering if anyone had seen any of them and if they are any good.

Quarry
Sleepy Hollow
Mr. Robot (series2)
Nashville
The Tunnel
Legion
Stan Lee's Lucky Man
The Path
Timeless
Modus
Jessica Jones

Or have you a recommendation that's not on this list?

I would also recommend Bitten, The Exorcist, The Whispers, Blindspot.

They will make most sense if you watch in this order...

Daredevil 1
Jessica Jones
Daredevil 2
Luke Cage

I signed up to Netflix last night and added these to my watchlist but we ended up watching Stranger Things in the end. While I think Netflix is easy and reasonably priced, I don't like the search facility or rather lack of. It just gives you loads of suggestions based on three choices you make of shows you like.
So by looking at Django Unchained, I clicked on Q Tarantino, then Jackie Brown, then Robert De Niro and saw that Mean Streets is on there.
Not that I want to watch Mean Streets but just to illustrate that I wouldn't have found it unless I was looking for The Hateful Eight (which doesn't appear to be on there).

I signed up to Netflix last night and added these to my watchlist but we ended up watching Stranger Things in the end. While I think Netflix is easy and reasonably priced, I don't like the search facility or rather lack of. It just gives you loads of suggestions based on three choices you make of shows you like.
So by looking at Django Unchained, I clicked on Q Tarantino, then Jackie Brown, then Robert De Niro and saw that Mean Streets is on there.
Not that I want to watch Mean Streets but just to illustrate that I wouldn't have found it unless I was looking for The Hateful Eight (which doesn't appear to be on there).

I've also signed up to Netflix, but have found myself whiling away time with Midsomer Murders and Wallander instead of anything new. Granted, there's no other way to see Midsomer Murders around here, but still. I thought about Stranger Things, but had this horrible thought that I'm getting old, because the learning curve for new TV shows is too high! I guess I'm just not interested enough to dedicate my attention to it.

More people seem to get this way about music in their older age, but for me it's TV shows, I guess. :p

I thought about Stranger Things
It was the OH who has been wanting to see this for ages now, her being obsessed with the 80's. It was OK but not what I call great TV.
At least I'll get to see the new Black Mirror but apart from that I haven't found a great deal on there I want to watch. What do you think about the search facility on NetFlix? I've taken to putting one letter at a time in the search box and scrolling through all titles available alphabetically. It takes a while but at least I'm hopefully getting to see their full catalogue.

It was the OH who has been wanting to see this for ages now, her being obsessed with the 80's. It was OK but not what I call great TV.
At least I'll get to see the new Black Mirror but apart from that I haven't found a great deal on there I want to watch. What do you think about the search facility on NetFlix? I've taken to putting one letter at a time in the search box and scrolling through all titles available alphabetically. It takes a while but at least I'm hopefully getting to see their full catalogue.

The search function seems very erm... exacting. Say, if you forget to capitalize a letter, it won't show up at all. It seems I have to already know what I'm looking for, which is a problem. I had thought that their selection was surprisingly scanty, but perhaps I haven't been searching the correct way.

So far I've just been typing in words like drama, mystery or British and selecting from there, or re-watching Twin Peaks and The X Files. I don't own any copies of these series, so might as well get my money's worth.

Currently working my way through two box sets at the moment - Universal Monster Movies and Monkey (sometimes referred to as Monkey Magic, due to its catchy theme song!)

Monkey (sometimes referred to as Monkey Magic, due to its catchy theme song!)

Oh that series is aces and skills, my other half never saw it as a kid so I introduced it to her and she loves it. So much so, we have the four characters from 'The Journey West' on our wall that we bought in a Chinese nick-knack shop years ago.

I'm making my way through Atlanta, internet connection permitting, and it is fantastic. Donald Glover is living a charmed life, but it's fully deserved, even if you don't like hip-hop this has been really funny and dramatic and downright weird in places (black Justin Bieber!). That's my current recommendation.

Well tonight I will be watching Inside No.9, Black Mirror, Stranger Things and Freak Encounters.

The more I study psychology, the less interesting and convincing these programs become.

Yeah, that trailer has performed the useful function of ensuring that I'll never watch a minute of it. :D

I was chatting with an Oxford astrophysicist (think that's what he is, he's in charge of Trinity College's planet Mars research) over dinner last year, a very nice chap.

He told me about a local joke, that while Oxford is a dangerous city, (Inspector Morse, Endeavour) Midsomer used to be considered a safe place for retirement, until Oxford dons discovered it and started moving there... :eek:

Oxford's a very funny place. I recommend a tour with an insider.

Not a box set yet, but can anyone recommend the Lethal Weapon TV series? First episode on ITV tonight at 9, and I must admit I'm intrigued by the prospect. A return to the good old days of TJ Hooker etc?

Just started 'Twelve Monkeys' series. Actually rather good.

I hardly ever watch TV any more. Heck, I have hundreds of DVDs and I hardly ever watch those! (But I can loose 4-5-6 hours on YouTube). I don't think I've seen any of the shows mentioned so far on this thread except for The X-Files (and Universal monster movies).

But someday -- someday -- I'm going to find episodes of The Goodies that will play on a Region One machine!!!

I watched the first episode of that Lethal Weapon series and it was all right, actually. Faithful to the first film without being a carbon copy, with a nice 80s action vibe. Now to marvel when ITV decide not enough people are watching it and hide the remaining episodes in the schedules. Or not show them at all. Should have waited for the box set.

Back