• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious Auckland Beast

There is something slightly dubious about those photos.
A couple of things instantly spring to the eye.
Firstly the lighting is very reminiscent of a studio setting. The footprints themselves also appear to have not made a deep impression in the ground, but more look as if a flat cutout has been laid down and then loose earth pack around the sides.

Or maybe I am being overly cynical

Perhaps...the footprints don't seem to have compressed the overlaying (rotting) leaves and such like, but seem to have simply revealed the underlying mud.

The position of the footprints also seem to me, at least, to be very strange. They seem to inverting towards each other, which if the creature was standing would probably be not too mkuch of a problem. But if it was walking then (and I am assuming it is a biped, which it could very much not be) then the postion of the feet would make it slightly more harder to do.

If I'm wrong on any of these points please correct me.

Personally, I am more interested on the verbal descriptions given in the article...and especially love the reference to it being a possible dinosaur.

I wouldnt say that this is supposed to be a genuine photo, much likelier staged. NOT saying the creature or tracks are fake, but I think they staged a photo to look good for the article. Penguins walk with their feet pointed in. Interesting beast.

Cool!!

I had forgotten about penguins....good point!

Maybe it's some kind of giant australian mutant penguin, lol.
Or, more seriously, some sort of large lizard, like a Kimodo dragon.

Just knocking around ideas!! 8)

Platypus tracks here

(Gentoo) Penguin tracks here

Those prints look very flat-bottomed, no dip where the heel would take the weight of the body, nor is there any depression where the toes would would press in on walking forward. (JMHO)

According to the website this is now officially a fake and a publicity stunt for a zoo.

Back