• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious Howling

A

Anonymous

Another little fortean experience
about a few months ago I had just woken up and I heard this howling,now where I live is on a hill in a village which is quite small,there are a few dogs about but this howling sounded as though it was coming from far away like the wind was carrying it.
And it sounded as though something bigger was making the noise
not like a little dog howling(like my own jack russell)
We're surrounded by countryside and there are a few small woods about.
It wasnt the wind either
it's difficult to describe the sound.

I have heard a very similar thing while staying at some cabins in the country. Everyone had gone inside and i was at the edge of a dam trying to catch marron and i heard a very distant long drawn out howl that must have been at least a couple of km away, it sounded low like it had plenty of base like something you would expect from a v large animal.
I packed up and went inside.
The only other time I have ever heard anything like that was in the horror movies.

Could be foxes.They can sound pretty weird. sometimes like a child or "thing" in between man and animal.

could have been a fox
but it sounded more wolfy to me
where were your cabins located Fenris?

How exciting! What country are you in LittleDeath and are there wild wolves there? Here in the US, my friends and I used to climb mountains and howl to get the local dogs going. Sometimes wolves would chime in too. Any chance you heard a human imitating a wolf cry? If I do say so, I sound pretty good when I do it: ArrWwerEerWOooo(soft 'r')oo ;)

I'm living in the english countryside
so I don't think it's wild wolves and the only wolf impersonating going on around here is my amazing ability to sing exactly like alanis morissette! :lol:

I think there's at least one wolf sanctuary in England. Bedfordshire perhaps? Grasping at straws . . . . .

What do you think it was LittleDeath?

example I have no idea
my first thought was "hound of the baskervilles"
don't live near bedfordshire
I like to imagine it was one lone wolf circling a lonely,frightened,naked man in the woods while Goldfrapps slippage song was reverberating around them.
But it was probably just a wolf who maybe escaped from somewhere?It did sound really odd though as though it was calling something, I don't know.

example said:
I think there's at least one wolf sanctuary in England. Bedferdshire (sp?) perhaps? Grasping at straws . . . . .

theres one somewhere in scotland

Oh boy. I've spent the last ten minutes or so sifting through some of the least functionally interactive websites EVER. I was trying to educate myself about the UK wolf situation. I guess there's discussion about re-introducing wolves in Scotland, but it hasn't happened yet. A couple of sites mentioned "displaced" UK wolves, though I don't know if these were wild or pets or both or what. Now I really want to know: are there wolves living in the United Kingdom outside of sanctuarys?

Another thought: maybe it was feral dog with a wolflike howl. A Huskey or somesuch. I hope you hear the howl again LittleDeath.

PS ~ Yeah melf, there was a nice-looking sanctuary which I took to be in Scotland since there were biggish mountains in the photos, but I couldn't get past the homepage which was just a bunch of pretty images sooo . . . :?:

Huskies were my first thought. Are they popular in Britain?

Things can sound like something they're not. I was in the Catskilles (sp?) once and I could swear I heard a cat crying. I looked all over for it, through the woods and stuff, and I couldn't find anything. My mom said she was pretty sure it was just some kids screaming. I have/had three cats, so I know what a cat crying sounds like.

RainyOcean said:
I was in the Catskilles (sp?) once and I could swear I heard a cat crying.

Wow. Catskills . . . . . . cat crying. Could there a Fortean connection? I wonder how those mountains got their name. :hmm:

Oh. :( So nothing fortean. On the other hand, that second link mentions that the "Cats" in "Catskill" may have referred to bobcat and/or lynx. So if those felines are still living in the Catskills, maybe RainyOcean did hear a crying cat. That is if bobcats and lynx are able to make a noise like a crying cat. All I know about them is that they sometimes scream.

You were pretty quick coming up with those links Leaferne!

Oh!Oh! Maybe there was a den with bobcat or lynx cubs nearby! Aawwww

Several years ago (before all the housing developments around us) I was sitting at my pooter and hadn't noticed it'd gotten dark outside [and I'd not closed the curtains - most unlike me], when I heard this horrible snarling growling (a la Hound of the Baskervilles) right outside my window. :eek!!!!:

I didn't look, I threw myself on the floor and crawled out of the room. :oops:
Never heard it (or anything like) before or since (and there are now several dogs in the locale)

The other frightening sound is the sound of vixens screaming

Brrr Lobelia Overkill :eek!!!!: Am making mental note to search for silver defensive weapons before night falls (only found teaspoon so far: might be good for eye gouging)!

When I was little I used to have a horrible recurring nightmare about being chased by werewolves (but was always fascinated by real wolves) and still have a bit of residual fear! :roll:

A couple of years ago I was staying in a remote old house in Devon for a holiday. My cousin and I were up late watching "The Ring" (yes, I know) and my boyfriend (doesn't like horror films) was sat outside on the wooden porch/veranda thing having a smoke and reading. After the film finished my cousin went to bed and I (traumatised by fear) went to find the bf. After sitting outside for a couple of minutes we heard a horrible, deep growling sound that seemed to come from the woods at the back of the house - the (very sensible) bf thought it was a badger (do they growl?) but I totally freaked out to the extent that i made him panic as well and we both hot-footed it inside and, feeling slightly silly, went to bed. Of course, in the light of day I thought of rational explanations and pretty much forgot it - but Lobelia Overkill's story reminded me of it - I've never heard a sound like it (and I know foxes can sound pretty wierd) and rarely felt such panic (although I had ben watching "the ring", which is enough to scare anyone!).

Oops - that's really long! Soz, Esk

Perhaps some foxhounds that have gone feral ?? Even smallish hounds can bay such that yer skin crawls ...

I know mating Foxes make a hell of a racket, it is sometimes mistaken for children screaming.

As for the growling, i have no idea, and wouldnt like to hear it
afraid.gif

Esk said:
Lobelia Overkill

who? :lol:

.. the (very sensible) bf thought it was a badger (do they growl?)

Um I think they make a hunn hunn sort of noise, but I could be wrong ...

Vixens make a noise that's exactly like a woman being strangled (sometimes I hate living in a rural area - you never know whether to phone the Gardai or not ... )

Interesting timing, this thread, as just a few nights ago I had a dream that there were wolves outside our house and every time we'd open one of the blinds they'd immediately jump in front of the window and snarl viciously and I'd close the blinds out of fear. Part of me wanted to go outside and be with them, though.

I used to have quite a few dreams involving werewolves or wild animals (bears, gorillas, etc.) chasing after me when I was younger. This is the first dream of that kind I've had in years, though.

A work-mate of mine told me a rousing yarn about a encounter with a badger while out hunting. He and the other chap he was hunting with came into a clearing and were startled out of their wits by what they first thought was a black and white tasmanian devil !!! It spread itself low upon the ground, and snarled like a werewolf with a hangover. He said al he could see was claws, teeth, and flashes of balck and white fur !!! They had stopped in their tracks, but this enraged creature kept lunging at them as if to tear one of them to shreds. He slowly brought his rifle up to his shoulder to try and kill it before it killed one of them. His mate put his hand on his shoulder and said "Don't even think about it. The bullet would only piss him off even worse than he is !!!"

Do they growl ?? You bet they GROWL !!!!

Lobelia Overkill

OOPS (Soz! slip of the old finger!!) :gaga: :oops:

Do they growl ?? You bet they GROWL !!!!
:shock:

And I always thought badgers were quite friendly (too much Wind in the Willows and Animals of Farthing Wood when young, no doubt!).

Glad to know I'm not the only one that had werewolf dreams as a child, Bannik!

Esk said:
Glad to know I'm not the only one that had werewolf dreams as a child, Bannik!

I used to dream I'd turn into a werewolf and be all "Crap! No one will ever love me now" about it. I think it was a puberty thing.

When I was probably about 3 or 4 me and my best friend were in the backyard swinging at night and she started telling me that the werewolf was coming out of the moon to get us. That she could see his hand reaching for us and stuff. She scared me half to death.

RainyOcean said:
me and my best friend were in the backyard swinging at night
:shock:

But seriously folks,badgers and foxes have a very large"vocabulary" of yells,shreiks,howls,whickkers,screams and growls. Last week my eldest and the Mrs were fooled when they heard a vixen in the strip of woodland at the bottom of the garden,the eldest went down with a torch and a knife as he thought it was a girl being murdered or something !.

My mum's house backs on to an allotment, and I've heard some pretty awful sounding fox noises too, especially around mating season! Even when I knew what they were they still used to make me jump!

Quote:

"me and my best friend were in the backyard swinging at night

:shock:"

Am I missing something? Did I accidentally say something wrong?

Oh, and I apologize, the quote button didn't seem to be working.[/quote]

Back